cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just re-watched the 2020 FCS Championship game, focusing on 2020 7th round pick James Madison quarterback Ben DiNucci.

Player/#: Ben DiNucci/6 Height/Weight: 6-3/209 College: James Madison Age: 23

Honors:
  • 2014-2015 Gatorade Player of the Year (Pennsylvania)
  • 2nd team USA Today All-American
  • AAAA Player of the Year
  • ACFA 1st Team All-American
  • CAA Offensive Player of the Year
[IMG]

2019 stats: 16 games, 268/378 for 3441 yards passing, 29 TD, 6 INT, 569 yards rushing. 7 TD
2018 stats: 13 games, 211/309 for 2275 yards passing, 16 TD, 12 INT, 433 yards rushing, 9 TD
2017 stats: (Pittsburgh) 10 games, 88/158 for 1091 yards, 5 TD, 5 INT, 126 yards rushing, 1 TD
2016 stats: (Pittsburgh) 2 games, 3/9 for 16 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 18 yards rushing
2015 stats: (Pittsburgh) Redshirt
[IMG]

Game reviewed: James Madison vs. North Dakota State
FCS National Championship, Frisco, Texas, January 11, 2020

Game stats: 22/33 for 204 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT, 9 yards rushing

What I liked: He can make all of the NFL throws, distributes the ball all over the field. Gritty, not afraid to take a hit, he throws well on run and maneuvers around the pocket. James Madison uses a lot of 12 & 13 personnel, and his favorite target is a 6-5/230-pound WR, so he benefits from size and personnel mismatches. His throws are accurate and gives his weapons a chance to make plays.

What I didn’t like: I didn’t see many (if any) progressions from him in this game. It could have been that his first reads were open, but I wanted to see him progress through the routes and pick apart the defense. Also, when James Madison was down 15 in the 4th quarter, they were still handing off the ball. I get running “your offense” but with the national championship on the line, it seems like you would put the team on the future NFL QB’s back to give him a chance to win the game. He ended up throwing an interception that ended the game for the Dukes. The announcers kept bringing up his meltdown in the playoffs the year before, throwing 5 interceptions against Colgate.

Overall: Very little risk drafting a player at pick 231, but for me I want to see a draftable QB dominating at the FCS level, especially since he played 3 years at Pitt before transferring to James Madison. I like his toughness and I do think he’s in an ideal situation where he can learn Mike McCarthy’s system while sitting behind veterans Dak Prescott and Andy Dalton. The NFL’s recent roster expansion from 53 to 55 improves his chances of making the team as a 3rd QB, although it is possible that he could get exposed to the practice squad.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I’ve heard people compare him to Romo. Seems to have better wheels than Romo though. Will be interesting to see if this kid turns into anything within the next 2-3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I’ve heard people compare him to Romo. Seems to have better wheels than Romo though. Will be interesting to see if this kid turns into anything within the next 2-3 years.

I actually liked Romo at Eastern Illinois and was shocked when he wasn't drafted. Ironically, I was also the dummy who was wondering what the heck Parcells was doing giving Romo a shot over Drew Henson.

However, Romo showed way more arm talent and moxy than I saw from DiNucci, albeit just in that one game.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I actually liked Romo at Eastern Illinois and was shocked when he wasn't drafted. Ironically, I was also the dummy who was wondering what the heck Parcells was doing giving Romo a shot over Drew Henson.

However, Romo showed way more arm talent and moxy than I saw from DiNucci, albeit just in that one game.

More moxie? Really? I don’t know, DiNucci has some fire in him. That may not mean anything in the end but he seems to have something to him.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
More moxie? Really? I don’t know, DiNucci has some fire in him. That may not mean anything in the end but he seems to have something to him.

Was more a compliment to Romo than a dig at DiNucci. I had heard the same about DiNucci (comps to Romo) so I was looking for it. Romo was a gamer and as we would all go on to see, would take chances; sometimes resulting in boneheaded turnovers, sometimes resulting in absolute magic. I didn't see that from DiNucci on the biggest stage in his life, especially in the 4th quarter when they were down by 2 scores.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Was more a compliment to Romo than a dig at DiNucci. I had heard the same about DiNucci (comps to Romo) so I was looking for it. Romo was a gamer and as we would all go on to see, would take chances; sometimes resulting in boneheaded turnovers, sometimes resulting in absolute magic. I didn't see that from DiNucci on the biggest stage in his life, especially in the 4th quarter when they were down by 2 scores.

Ok I see what you’re saying. And yea that was DiNucci’s rep. Likely he will end up getting cut and out of the league in a couple of years but it’s fun to see them take a QB and groom him.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just re-watched the 2020 FCS Championship game, focusing on 2020 7th round pick James Madison quarterback Ben DiNucci.

Player/#: Ben DiNucci/6 Height/Weight: 6-3/209 College: James Madison Age: 23

Honors:
  • 2014-2015 Gatorade Player of the Year (Pennsylvania)
  • 2nd team USA Today All-American
  • AAAA Player of the Year
  • ACFA 1st Team All-American
  • CAA Offensive Player of the Year
[IMG]

2019 stats: 16 games, 268/378 for 3441 yards passing, 29 TD, 6 INT, 569 yards rushing. 7 TD
2018 stats: 13 games, 211/309 for 2275 yards passing, 16 TD, 12 INT, 433 yards rushing, 9 TD
2017 stats: (Pittsburgh) 10 games, 88/158 for 1091 yards, 5 TD, 5 INT, 126 yards rushing, 1 TD
2016 stats: (Pittsburgh) 2 games, 3/9 for 16 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 18 yards rushing
2015 stats: (Pittsburgh) Redshirt
[IMG]

Game reviewed: James Madison vs. North Dakota State
FCS National Championship, Frisco, Texas, January 11, 2020

Game stats: 22/33 for 204 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT, 9 yards rushing

What I liked: He can make all of the NFL throws, distributes the ball all over the field. Gritty, not afraid to take a hit, he throws well on run and maneuvers around the pocket. James Madison uses a lot of 12 & 13 personnel, and his favorite target is a 6-5/230-pound WR, so he benefits from size and personnel mismatches. His throws are accurate and gives his weapons a chance to make plays.

What I didn’t like: I didn’t see many (if any) progressions from him in this game. It could have been that his first reads were open, but I wanted to see him progress through the routes and pick apart the defense. Also, when James Madison was down 15 in the 4th quarter, they were still handing off the ball. I get running “your offense” but with the national championship on the line, it seems like you would put the team on the future NFL QB’s back to give him a chance to win the game. He ended up throwing an interception that ended the game for the Dukes. The announcers kept bringing up his meltdown in the playoffs the year before, throwing 5 interceptions against Colgate.

Overall: Very little risk drafting a player at pick 231, but for me I want to see a draftable QB dominating at the FCS level, especially since he played 3 years at Pitt before transferring to James Madison. I like his toughness and I do think he’s in an ideal situation where he can learn Mike McCarthy’s system while sitting behind veterans Dak Prescott and Andy Dalton. The NFL’s recent roster expansion from 53 to 55 improves his chances of making the team as a 3rd QB, although it is possible that he could get exposed to the practice squad.

Well done....I completely agree with your opinion that if we're going to draft a QB or try and develop one, I'd prefer he dominated in college. Of course, there are guys that dominated in college that just didn't transition to the NFL. Hopefully the guy has enough arm talent to be successful and his future is probably as a back-up but that's OK. I also didn't see an NFL arm when I saw his highlights. At the very least, pre-season, if there is one, should be fun.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Professional and knowledgeable summation. Thank you, I really appreciate it. Looking forward to same such on Biadaz, who I'm curious about and am already calling "Badazz" because obviously I can't spell his name yet.

Top Bottom