Status
Not open for further replies.

Sal Monella

Man among boys
Reaction score
Six teams that have drafted the most pro bowlers since 1996

The Chiefs have drafted 27 Pro Bowlers since 1996, and six players were named to the 2019 Pro Bowl squad, including Frank Clark, Mecole Hardman, Tyreek Hill, Chris Jones, Travis Kelce and Patrick Mahomes.

Of course none of them played in the Pro Bowl because they were in, and won, Super Bowl LIV.

The Cowboys have drafted 26 Pro Bowlers since the Ravens' inaugural season, and four were named to the most recent Pro Bowl — Ezekiel Elliott, Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick and Zack Martin.

Similarly, the Packers have also had 26 Pro Bowlers, and in 2019 they included Davante Adams, Za'Darius Smith and Kenny Clark.

NFLmedium.jpg

The Ravens have drafted 25 Pro Bowlers since 1996, and their 2019 selections include Mark Andrews, Morgan Cox, Marlon Humphrey, Mark Ingram, Lamar Jackson, Matthew Judon, Marcus Peters, Patrick Ricard, Ronnie Stanley, Earl Thomas, Justin Tucker and Marshal Yanda.

The Bears and Steelers have drafted 23 Pro Bowlers, and their most recent selections include Eddie Jackson, Khalil Mack, Cordarelle Patterson, T.J. Watt, Cameron Heyward, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We've been on that for 2+ years here. The coaching has flat out sucked.

Wade should have never been hired as HC and Garrrett should have never survived the third 8-8 season.

Diehardblues

Cheerleader
Reaction score
While our coaching has been an issue due to Jerry’s selfish egotistical ways ,I sincerely haven’t seen a championship caliber team wearing a Star on their helmets in this time frame.

Offensively we've had some very close to championship caliber. I thought 2014 was the best but none defensively bordering on the type of dominating defenses we’ve seen win championships this era.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
While our coaching has been an issue due to Jerry’s selfish egotistical ways ,I sincerely haven’t seen a championship caliber team wearing a Star on their helmets in this time frame.

Offensively we've had some very close to championship caliber. I thought 2014 was the best but none defensively bordering on the type of dominating defenses we’ve seen win championships this era.

The 2007 and 2009 teams had defenses good enough to win championships, and frankly an overall roster that could have won at least one, if not two super bowls. Coaching was a massive issue with those teams, as it was under Garrett's idiot watch as well.

Diehardblues

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Generally you need to be great on one side of the ball and average to above average on the other.

We’ve had some great offenses but no above average defenses to match.

Most of our Pro Bowlers have been offensive. Last year another great example. Which I believe presents a perception we are more talented or under achieving as so many fans follow the ball like Fantasy Fans.

Basically we are seeing either Elite QB’s or Elite defenses win championships with rare exceptions. Unfortunately we have neither.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Cheerleader
Reaction score
The 2007 and 2009 teams had defenses good enough to win championships, and frankly an overall roster that could have won at least one, if not two super bowls. Coaching was a massive issue with those teams, as it was under Garrett's idiot watch as well.
2007 was probably good enough to reach the championship game.

2009 team was on decline.

Diehardblues

Cheerleader
Reaction score
2007 , 2014 and 2016 are only years I thought we could have advanced further to championship game.

That doesn’t mean we should have. 2007 probably stands out as biggest disappointment with those 13 Pro Bowlers. And then being upset by Giants after sweeping them I regular season. But very doubtful even if we made Super Bowl would have had the pass rush to cause havoc on Brady as NY did.

2014 of course a great offense with Romo’s most effective season and dominating run game with Murray was a heartbreaking loss after the catch by Dez that wasn’t. But I can’t say I expected to win that game at Lambeau. Sad, we never fielded those Tripletts again. I’d liked to have had more shots with that core.

And 2016 we probably had the better team and were out coached early on falling behind. In the end the best player was the difference. Which falls back on my original premise of not having that Elite QB or Defense to carry us all the way.

That’s my take anyway ..

Diehardblues

Cheerleader
Reaction score
So, we never had the elite QB or defense, but it was definitely the coaching?
Seems legit.
Coaching no doubt was a weakness , certainly not a strength and has been for this entire era or time frame the OP described , except arguably under Parcells.

And we’ve had some talent. Even Jerry admits to his greatest regret is not surrounding Romo with more talent. I’d add not providing him greater coaching.

But to suggest we have been greater coaching alone away from winning a championship with the overall rosters we’ve fielded is misleading.

Could greater coaching have taken us further? Possibly but it’s a speculative argument. I’d argue an Elite (generational ) defense or QB might have taken us further as well.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Interesting we are the only team on the list that never saw a conference championship game or a super bowl, but #2 on the list overall. Tells us talent really wasn't the main problem.

Diehardblues

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Chiefs hadn’t sniffed a championship game or Super Bowl until Mahommes.

Packers have rode two HOF Qb’s thru this era.

And Ravens arguably had the greatest defense to win a championship.

Steelers arguably had both in HOF QB and Elite defense.

All which fit my criteria this era. The Cowboys had neither despite some varying talent.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Meanwhile NE not even on the list, winning 6 Lombardis with lesser rosters. Like coaching matters and stuff.

We've had the talent and complete teams to win it all. Didn't get the job done. Parcells' heart wasn't in it and Garrett was simply incompetent. Going on 25 years now since we've even sniffed it.

Diehardblues

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Patriots had the most Elite QB this era and top defenses which again fit my criteria.

Bill is the greatest defensive guru of this era.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
And we’ve had some talent. Even Jerry admits to his greatest regret is not surrounding Romo with more talent. I’d add not providing him greater coaching

I think you've gotten closer to the heart of the matter.
Jerry was horrible with the cap for way longer than he should have been.
Jerry hired Parcells when Parcells cared more about race horses and being Parcells than coaching.
Jerry kept a guy whose greatest accomplishment was winning the Wild card round in ten years.
In fact, we did have bad coaching and rosters with holes in them, can you guess the common denominator?

Diehardblues

Cheerleader
Reaction score
I think you've gotten closer to the heart of the matter.
Jerry was horrible with the cap for way longer than he should have been.
Jerry hired Parcells when Parcells cared more about race horses and being Parcells than coaching.
Jerry kept a guy whose greatest accomplishment was winning the Wild card round in ten years.
In fact, we did have bad coaching and rosters with holes in them, can you guess the common denominator?
Parcells resurrected us from arguably our lowest point this era following 5-11 funk. The best coaching job since Jimmy taking that roster in 2003 with Quincy to the playoffs.

Jerry just continued to interfere with his meddling driving Bill off before the job was done.

And Jerry continues to be our greatest obstacle to overcome with this toxic atmosphere and dysfunctional organization.

Last edited:

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Parcells resurrected us from arguably our lowest point this era following 5-11 funk. The best coaching job since Jimmy taking that roster in 2003 with Quincy to the playoffs.

Pretty low bar, but ok.
I don't believe the Parcells we got was the same Parcells who once coached the Giants.
By the time Jerry hired him he was already a TV talking head and spending time at the Saratoga race track in the off-season.
The Giants version of Parcells would have had a talk with Jerry, not slunk off when Romo mishandled that snap in Seattle.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Patriots had the most Elite QB this era and top defenses which again fit my criteria.
You think any of that happens with any other organization? Brady was a nobody, got coached up to be way above his abilities. Embraced the dedication and hard work Belechick demanded.

Those defenses? Mostly no-name guys who were again, coached up. Doing more with less is the formula in NE.

His guys don't make the pro bowl, they just win rings. It's not random chance.

Diehardblues

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Pretty low bar, but ok.
I don't believe the Parcells we got was the same Parcells who once coached the Giants.
By the time Jerry hired him he was already a TV talking head and spending time at the Saratoga race track in the off-season.
The Giants version of Parcells would have had a talk with Jerry, not slunk off when Romo mishandled that snap in Seattle.
I think you’re under estimating the dysfunction and distraction Jerry presents. Ultimately why Bill walked.

Bill resurrected us from the ashes and set us in position for success. Even if he wasn’t his old self. Still the best thing Jerry’s allowed this era.

And yes, Jerry has set a very low Bar this era.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Cheerleader
Reaction score
You think any of that happens with any other organization? Brady was a nobody, got coached up to be way above his abilities. Embraced the dedication and hard work Belechick demanded.

Those defenses? Mostly no-name guys who were again, coached up. Doing more with less is the formula in NE.

His guys don't make the pro bowl, they just win rings. It's not random chance.
Bill and Brady best HC/ Combo in NFL history. We’ve seen what Bill is without Brady as a great DC and an average to above average HC in Cleveland. The one year in New England without Brady missed the playoffs.

Im very excited Brady is going to allow us an opportunity now in Tampa to provide more arguing points which might be the most interesting aspect heading into the next season.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I think you’re under estimating the dysfunction and distraction Jerry presents. Ultimately why Bill walked.

Bill resurrected us from the ashes and set us in position for success. Even if he wasn’t his old self. Still the best thing Jerry’s allowed this era.

And yes, Jerry has set a very low Bar this era.

Really? Thought I pretty much laid the blame for just about everything at Jerry's feet.
In case it wasn't clear enough: I pretty much lay the blame at Jerry's feet for just about everything that's happened since Jimmy left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom