dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb said in post-draft presser that trading for a couple veterans was definitely not out of the question. One would assume they are probably thinking of RB and DT. Cowboys will gain about 10 million or so in cap space on June 1st when Gallup's money for being cut is finally available.

Also as I noted yesterday, Nick Eatman reported the Cowboys were expected to sign a couple of former pro bowl veterans in next 7-10 days. One is expected to be Zeke.

Last edited:

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Still don't understand the RB thing, but basically they screwed that up be turning down that end of the round trade last night where they could have moved from 87-95 and picked up a 4th. Huge run on RB's happened before we ever went on the clock with the 174th pick. Then there was another late run that wiped the board out.

That said, for the most part I liked the guys we actually did pick today. The CB and OT (probably moving inside to G) in particular had fairly high ratings for where we got them (Carson was rated as a 3rd/4th guy and def has upside, Thomas was rated as a 4th/5th rounder by most. Huge LT with long arms and huge hands, may end up at G but his school has producer several quality NFL OL in recent years). The WR has some real physical talent, good p[roduction and reputation as exceptionally hard worker. He was rated as a 6th. The NT we drafted from Auburn was rated a 7th/PFA type guy, ut he huge and fairly strong, doesnt have any pass rush potential but he almost cant be moved off the LOS.

Doesn't look much different than most of their draft classes in recent memory. Some potentially good players, but no one that's going to significantly elevate the team.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
As of right now, no RB.
Apparently they have signed RB Nathaniel Peat out of Missouri, where he didn't see much playing time behind Cody Schrader. Was previously a transfer from Stanford.

This is the only highlight I could find on YT

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Doesn't look much different than most of their draft classes in recent memory. Some potentially good players, but no one that's going to significantly elevate the team.
Well, the team wasnt physical on either side of the ball and didnt have enough guys that play with some mean attitude. These guys they drafted are all pretty physical (minus the WR) and all seem to have a pretty nasty disposition on the field. We needed that up front on both sides of the ball. Even the CB is a physical hitter/tackler.

I dont know how many of them make it but you have to love the size and physical power these OL have, as well as the DE and LB. The DT we drafted at the end is probably a longshot, but he is massive and teams really couldnt move him off the ball either.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
They look like a team that's screwed for awhile to me. They'll be holding down last place for quite a few seasons in that division.
Sure, by relatively soon, or near future, I'm thinking about 3 years out, not this season. Depending on if they hit on their QB.

But yes, right now the Bills, Dolphins, and Jets all appear to be much more solid, especially the Jets because I still believe in Aaron Rodgers. Barring injury, the Jets could have a really nice season (great defense). But Rodgers won't play forever and the Bills seem to be cracking. Of course, a good draft or a good off-season can change that.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Apparently they have signed RB Nathaniel Peat out of Missouri, where he didn't see much playing time behind Cody Schrader. Was previously a transfer from Stanford.

This is the only highlight I could find on YT

I think it is obvious that they are hoping something pops open during the second wave of free agency and in the meantime Zeke is the stop-gap.

Jerry hinted at a trade, but that probably won't happen until closer to the deadline assuming the Cowboys are doing well enough to be in contention.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Kirk is 35 years old. He doesn't have a lot of years left. If there a QB that you like then you take him. You don't use Jerry's approach of "if there is a QB there better than ice cream I still won't take him".

Penix can develop for 2 to 3 years and take over. Other positions can be found more easily through later picks, free agency, or trades. Finding a quality QB for cheap however is much more difficult.

Cousins is not costing the falcons much in 2024. The cap hit is 25 million. In 2025 the cap hit is still not too bad, 40 million. Both CHEAPER than Dak's 60 million. Even in 2026, the cap hit is 57 million on Cousins.

The Cowboys should have taken a flyer on Michael Pratt in round 7.

And regardless of spending 180 millions on a QB, every single position is expendable. Nobody's job should be guaranteed unless you happen to be Jerry Jones and basically tell the world that he will pay Dak whatever Dak wants.

Per Spotrac, Atlanta has an out on Cousins' contract after 2026. I'm sure the GM is thinking that by then Cousins will be 38. The cap will go up. They'll get to see Penix for an entire year before needing to decide if they should pick up the 5th year.

I do not disagree with the idea.

Now, of course, if Penix sucks, well that's another story. But a GM has got to trust his scouting department.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Sure, by relatively soon, or near future, I'm thinking about 3 years out, not this season. Depending on if they hit on their QB.

But yes, right now the Bills, Dolphins, and Jets all appear to be much more solid, especially the Jets because I still believe in Aaron Rodgers. Barring injury, the Jets could have a really nice season (great defense). But Rodgers won't play forever and the Bills seem to be cracking. Of course, a good draft or a good off-season can change that.
I think barring injuries, the Jets will win that division this year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Kirk is 35 years old. He doesn't have a lot of years left. If there a QB that you like then you take him. You don't use Jerry's approach of "if there is a QB there better than ice cream I still won't take him".

Penix can develop for 2 to 3 years and take over. Other positions can be found more easily through later picks, free agency, or trades. Finding a quality QB for cheap however is much more difficult.

Cousins is not costing the falcons much in 2024. The cap hit is 25 million. In 2025 the cap hit is still not too bad, 40 million. Both CHEAPER than Dak's 60 million. Even in 2026, the cap hit is 57 million on Cousins.

And regardless of spending 180 millions on a QB, every single position is expendable. Nobody's job should be guaranteed unless you happen to be Jerry Jones and basically tell the world that he will pay Dak whatever Dak wants.

Per Spotrac, Atlanta has an out on Cousins' contract after 2026. I'm sure the GM is thinking that by then Cousins will be 38. The cap will go up. They'll get to see Penix for an entire year before needing to decide if they should pick up the 5th year.

I do not disagree with the idea.

Now, of course, if Penix sucks, well that's another story. But a GM has got to trust his scouting department.
It was fucking stupid.

They spent 180 million dollars on Cousins and have two years of fully guaranteed status. They drafted an older guy that barring injuries, at best wont see the field for two or three seasons. It's possible the guy they just drafted might be 28 or 29 yrs old before he ever sees the field in the NFL.

If they didnt think they were fairly close, then don't sign a 35 yr old QB coming off an achilles injury. But once you do that, you surround him with quality talent.

And thats not even mentioning that Penix wasnt worth anywhere near the 8th pick of the draft to begin with. They reached for a QB they didnt need, and said guy is older and has mega injury history. Stupid franchises do stupid shit, and this was stupid shit no matter how you slice it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Using a 7th rd pick on a 3rd or 4th string QB is one thing.

Using the 8th pick of the draft on an older QB prospect with injury history and questionable traits anyway is something entirely different.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Thats the other issue. If you listen to the chatter, it wasnt the scouts that wanted him. It was the dipshit owner.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Spann-Ford clips. Some good stiff here including two impressive hurdle moves.

13th rated TE by Brugler, 6'6 260lbs with athletic background. Had him rated as a 6th/7th pick. Kiper had him rated 15th TE.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Thats the other issue. If you listen to the chatter, it wasnt the scouts that wanted him. It was the dipshit owner.
That's not what I think Broaddus said. I think Broaddus said the GM had to explain it to the owner.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
It was fucking stupid.

They spent 180 million dollars on Cousins and have two years of fully guaranteed status. They drafted an older guy that barring injuries, at best wont see the field for two or three seasons. It's possible the guy they just drafted might be 28 or 29 yrs old before he ever sees the field in the NFL.

If they didnt think they were fairly close, then don't sign a 35 yr old QB coming off an achilles injury. But once you do that, you surround him with quality talent.

And thats not even mentioning that Penix wasnt worth anywhere near the 8th pick of the draft to begin with. They reached for a QB they didnt need, and said guy is older and has mega injury history. Stupid franchises do stupid shit, and this was stupid shit no matter how you slice it.
It depends on what the injuries are. Time might heal them. Age by itself doesn't matter. It's wear and tear.

The dumber move was trading a 4th round pick (that's still a premium pick in my book) for a QB that won't be around next year when that 4th round pick could have been used on a RB.

Either start Lance, or the pick is completely wasted. A fourth-round pick for a guy who will be your backup for 1 year?

The Falcons have 5 years with Penix. If nothing else, as a backup for 4 years. The Cowboys have Lance for 1 year, since counting last year is basically useless.

If you consider the out year in 2027, which would leave them with only 12.5 million in dead money, it's really not all that bad. We are paying Dak 60 million for one season!

Meanwhile, Penix is costing them a little over 4 million.

Trey Lance is costing us 5.3 million.

Top Bottom