dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
38th WR by Brugler, rated as a 7th rd/PFA player:

SUMMARY: Joshua Cephus (SEE-fuss) grew up in the Houston area and started playing football at age 4. His father (Rodney) played football at Texas Southern, and his brother (Aaron) played at Rice and Hawaii. Cephus bounced between quarterback and receiver at Dekaney High (also a standout in baseball, basketball and track). A two-star recruit, he spent five seasons at UTSA and became the school’s all-time leader in catches (313), receiving yards (3,639) and starts (56), working primarily out of the slot. Using his body length, Cephus frames the football with natural focus away from his body — and drops are rare on his tape (2.8 percent career drop rate). Although he is missing an explosive gear, he is crafty as a route runner and will uncover with his ability to sink or snap his stem. Overall, Cephus isn’t a burner and is only average after the catch, but his body control and quarterback-friendly ball skills are better than several pass catchers currently playing on Sundays. GRADE: 7th Round-Priority Free Agent

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
19th rated S, 6th/7th rd grade. Had huge proday apparently.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at TCU, Perry was the strong safety in defensive coordinator Joe Gillespie’s 3-3-5 base scheme, playing primarily in off coverage. After three seasons at Colorado (football and track), he transferred to the Horned Frogs for his final two seasons and combined for 142 tackles — although his ball production wasn’t nearly as impressive (six passes defended and zero interceptions in 27 games). In coverage, Perry reacts with natural twitch and field range to cover a lot of ground, but he needsimproved route recognition to better put himself in position to make plays on the ball. He plays gap sound in the alley and c an finish one-on-one when he uses proper technique and timing. Overall, Perry will occasionally lose his man when left on an island, but his explosive athleticism allows for quick recoveries and shows in the run game, as well. He projects as an NFL reserve with upside to see the field in subpackages and on special teams

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
McGinn on RB's

Brooks led in the poll of 15 execs asking them to rank the backs 1-2-3-4-5, with a first-place vote worth 5 points, a fourth worth 4 and so on.

Brooks had eight firsts and 57 points. Following, in order, were Trey Benson (54 ½, five), Blake Corum (39, one), Jaylen Wright (24), Braelon Allen (11, one), Ray Davis (9 ½), MarShawn Lloyd (8 ½), Bucky Irving (6 ½), Will Shipley (four), Frank Gore (three), Isaac Guerendo (three), Audric Estime (three) and Rasheen Ali (two).

-

RUNNING BACKS

1. JONATHON BROOKS, Texas (6-0 ½, 214, no 40, 2-3): Third-year junior. “He’s not only a great person but he’s a really talented player,” one scout said. “They had brought in a guy with NIL money (CJ Baxter) and he still beat him out. They had those other backs (Bijan Robinson, Roschon Johnson) earlier in his career they tried to force in there but he was as good as they were. This guy’s a good player. He’s country, he’s tough and he’s fast. I’d say he’s a 4.4.” Carried just 51 times in 2021-’22 before delivering 1,139 yards in ’23. Suffered a torn ACL Nov. 11 against TCU and remains in rehabilitation. “You’ve got to worry about that,” a second scout said of the injury. “He was a really good player before that. He backed up Bijan Robinson, and when he came in the game there wasn’t much difference.” Finished with 238 carries for 1,479 yards (6.2-yard average) and 16 touchdowns. His reception total was 28. “He’s hurt but he’s good,” said a third scout. “Any other year he’d be a first-round dude. He catches, he runs, he’s got vision, he’s smooth. He’s got big-play ability. He’ll pound it in as well. I was never a huge Bijan guy so I don’t think there’s that much difference.” From Hallettsville, Texas.

2. TREY BENSON, Florida State (6-0, 221, 4.42, 2-3): Helped himself considerably with a swift 40 at the combine. “I estimated 4.60,” said one scout. “He surprised me. I blew him big-time. More of a straight-line guy. I thought he was best as a receiver. He’s my third-down back the way he can catch the ball, he can run and he’s a strong runner. I don’t really see elusiveness.” As a freshman at Oregon in 2020 he suffered a torn ACL, additional ligament damage and cartilage damage in a December practice. Available for just six carries in 2021 before becoming a Seminole. Made second team All-Atlantic Coast Conference the past two years. “Good player – very consistent,” said a second scout. “He can do everything. He’s a starter.” Finished with 316 rushes for 1,917 (6.1) and 24 TDs to go with 33 receptions. “He could go in the top 60,” a third scout said. “If you need one you’ve got to take one at some point. He’s a viable second-round talent. He’s not that great in the passing game. Not a real natural catcher. He’s not a hammer. He’s not lacking toughness. He’s more slippery. But he’s fast and sudden, got really good feet, hits home runs. No wasted motion to his running style. He’s also 220. Has a chance to be a pretty good player.” From Greenville, Miss. “Another big back who runs hard with vision but no juice, no quickness, no explosiveness,” a third scout said. “He’s the exact opposite of (Frank) Gore. He’s got all the measurables and the 40 and size.”

3. BLAKE CORUM, Michigan (5-7 ½, 204, 4.53, 2-3): Started 29 of 45 games over four years, setting the Wolverines’ record for touchdowns from scrimmage with 61 (28 in 2023). “Love that kid,” one scout said. “Great pad level, tough, hard to tackle, very strong for his frame. Just not a home-run guy, but the NFL is made of guys like that on first and second down. He can play on third down because you can trust him in pass protection. He’ll be a playoff-style running back when you have to run the football. I would not be afraid to take him in the second, based on your roster. He has to stay healthy but trust me, he will do everything in the offseason to make sure he’s healthy. In the offseason, Blake Corum will be one of those guys who’s in the building every single day even if he doesn’t have to be. Character is off the charts.” Was in the running for the Heisman Trophy in 2022 before suffering ligament, cartilage and bone damage in a knee late in the season. Still finished seventh before being named the team’s MVP and toughest player by vote of his teammates. Started all 15 games in 2023 but his yards per carry dipped from 5.9 to 4.8. “I thought he lost just a tick from what he was playing at before the injury,” a second scout said. “Undersized and shifty. Shows good quickness, speed and vision. Just limited in the pass game. He’s a playmaker with the ball in his hands. Willing in pass pro. The size obviously is there but he’s not afraid to throw his body around. Not a natural route runner but he can catch it. There’s a shot for him to be a starter.” Finished with 675 carries for 3,737 (5.5) and 58 TDs but caught just 56 passes. “He’s faster than Emmitt Smith but Smith weighed 10 more pounds and was taller,” a third scout said. “Of all the players in this year’s draft, if I had to pick one player that I loved watching, (Jayden) Daniels would be first and Corum would be the second. I don’t know if the guy can last at that size. Emmitt Smith had the best balance of anyone and this guy has that same type of balance. The guy is a terrific player.” His 27 reps on the bench press led the position. “Other than size, I really like him,” said a fourth scout. “I don’t like that size. I think he’s strictly a strong backup.” From Marshall, Va.

4. JAYLEN WRIGHT, Tennessee (5-10 ½, 210, 4.38, 3): Third-year junior led the Volunteers in rushing the past two seasons in an Air Raid offense. “He’s a slippery, darter-type runner that is highly efficient,” one scout said. “Has speed, quickness and vengeance. Will finish runs. He’s tough. Not into dodging when the picture becomes cloudy. Can elude in tight spaces. Can get to daylight. Not a punishing runner but very proficient with his style. Functional as a receiver but not as a blocker. His weakness would be the power to move piles and break tackles, pass pro and routes.” Fastest back in the draft. “More of a big-play, straight-line guy,” said a second scout. “Does have good hands. Of all the backs, this guy might be the most explosive. He’s not elusive.” Finished with 368 carries for 2,297 (6.2) and 18 TDs plus 30 receptions. His 7.4 average in 2023 led FBS. “He’s fast but I’m not going there,” a third scout said. Led the top 25 backs in the broad jump (11-2). From Durham, N.C.

5. BRAELON ALLEN, Wisconsin (6-1, 236, no 40, 3-4): Third-year junior. “God, I just wish he would show more,” one scout said. “There’s a ‘but’ that drives me crazy. It’s called consistency of domination. He doesn’t bring the hammer. He just doesn’t run big. He’s not Derrick Henry, by any means.” Finished with 597 carries for 3,494 (5.9) and 35 TDs to go with 49 catches. “Kind of a conundrum,” said a second scout. “For being a big, good-looking running back he doesn’t always play that way. There are times he thinks of himself as a 195-pound back, not a 230-pound back. The thing that’s concerning is his instincts and vision, which are pretty much a requirement for a running back. Some have it naturally. Maybe he’ll figure it out more as he gets a little older. He only played running back for the three seasons in college.” Recruited as a safety with a planned move to linebacker before injuries forced the Badgers to move him to RB almost immediately. One of the youngest players in the draft; turned 20 in January. “What’s interesting is he played his whole college career as a teenager,” said a third scout. “They ran more of a pro-style system with Paul Chryst and the kid was extremely productive two years in a row. This year, they switched to a shotgun-spread offense where he was a sidecar. There were a lot of delays. You go across, get the ball, then you go downhill. It did not fit his eye, so to speak. He still finished 16 yards from having 1,000 again. He is not the rolling ball of AJ Dillon but he’s got more foot agility and change of direction than Dillon. I think he’s got a chance to be pretty good because he is big and can break tackles. No, no, no, no, Derrick Henry is Secretariat. I think Allen would (run) 4.55.” Declined to run the 40 or shuttles at the combine or pro day. “I think he’s not running because he’s (slow),” said a fourth scout. “My biggest issue is what the speed would be and being up to that size. I wish he played more to his size, played nasty and ran guys over. But he is a big ***** to wrap up and bring down.” From Fond du Lac, Wis. “Poor man’s AJ Dillon,” said a fifth scout. “Take that for what it’s worth. He’s a big ol’ lumbering, straight-line guy that needs momentum to get going. He won’t make anyone miss with elusiveness or catching the ball. No, he’s not better than Ron Dayne. All those Wisconsin backs that ran for 2,000 yards a year and none of them are any good.”

6. RAY DAVIS, Kentucky (5-8 ½, 208, 4.52, 3-4): In a five-year career at three schools he led Temple in rushing twice, Vanderbilt once and Kentucky once. “He runs hard as ****,” one scout said. “He’s a f------ load. He’s productive, and they (Kentucky) never have an O-line. Never. I don’t know where he goes but every time I saw him on tape he was making yards.” One of 15 children, he spent much of his youth living in homeless shelters and foster care. “Three transfers – I didn’t want to like the guy because of all the transfers,” a second scout said. “The difference between him and Corum is this guy is more explosive. Made some one-handed catches. Height is the only problem. That and he does take a little punishment. I would rather have Corum because I know what he does play after play, but this guy is tough and more explosive. He’ll be 25 (in November).” Finished with 746 carries for 3,626 (4.9) and 29 TDs plus 94 catches, including an FBS high of seven touchdown receptions for a RB in 2023. “I like him way more than Wright,” said a third scout. “Tough, tough, determined, competitive, strength, explosiveness.” From San Francisco.

7. MARSHAWN LLOYD, Southern Cal (5-8 ½, 221, 4.45, 3-4): Fourth-year junior put in three years at South Carolina and 2023 at USC. “Fast guy with good hands,” one scout said. “His Senior Bowl was really good.” Redshirted in 2020 after suffering a torn ACL that August. “He had the ACL and played with a brace on his left knee,” said a second scout. “The vision’s not there, the feel’s not there. Just whatever’s ahead of you, run straight as hard as you can. If there’s a crease, you burst through. If there’s not, you get chopped down. Doesn’t know how to protect his body, doesn’t know how to (bounce), doesn’t know how to get skinny. Kind of a slasher with a crease. He’s a straight-line fast guy trying to play running back. I wouldn’t take him ‘til very late depending on how the knee checked out.” Finished with 291 carries for 1,621 (5.6) and 19 TDs to go with 34 receptions. “He’s really quick but he’s short,” a third scout said. “Two things I didn’t like was his height and the way he finishes. Strong lower body, excellent balance, catches the ball.” From Wilmington, Del.

8. BUCKY IRVING, Oregon (5-9, 195, 4.56, 4): Third-year junior. “Nice little player,” said one scout. “He’s quick, and in that wide-open system he gets a lot of big holes. He’s got really good vision. Hands are good. Not a dynamic player (but) I like him as a rotational backup.” Led Minnesota in all-purpose yards as a freshman in 2021 but headed west in search of more playing time. In 2023, he led FBS running backs in receptions with 56. “That 40 (4.56) surprised me because I thought the one thing he could do was explode,” said a second scout. “Aggressive runner, strong for his size, good receiver out of the backfield. Reminded me of Clyde Edwards-Helaire.” Finished with 475 carries for 2,937 (6.2) and 20 TDs plus 95 receptions. From Chicago.

9. WILL SHIPLEY, Clemson (5-11, 206, 4.45, 4-5): Third-year junior. “He kind of grows on you,” one scout said. “He’s going to need route-running refinement. He runs hard. He’s got a little talent. Fourth round.” Best year was 2022 when he rushed for a career-high 1,182 and caught a career-high 38. “Excellent runner, top receiver,” said a second scout. “Got hurt this year. A concussion against UNC and right knee against Kentucky. He alternated with (Phil) Mafah.” Finished with 526 carries for 2,748 (5.2) and 31 TDs plus 85 catches. “He’s OK,” a third scout said. “They run the stretch and that’s what he does best. He can follow his blocks. Got a little bit of burst. More straight line. Not really a tough guy. He ducks his head a lot on contact. Not a powerful guy. He likes the edges. If you got a crease, he’s got a little something to him. Finesse kind of runner. Hands are pretty good. He’ll go mid-rounds.” From Weddington, N.C.

10. ISAAC GUERENDO, Louisville (6-0, 223, 4.43, 4-5): Started one game in a career that covered five seasons at Wisconsin and a finale for the Cardinals. Blew out the combine with the fast 40 and a 41 ½-inch vertical jump that led the position. “This guy can fly,” one scout said. “His stock’s been rising. I could see him going second round, I guess. Some people really like him.” Beset by injuries and surrounded by better players at Wisconsin, his busiest year was 2022 with a modest 64 carries and 17 receptions. Transferred to Louisville in 2023 and had 132 carries behind starter Jawhar Jordan. “He was overshadowed by Jawhar Jordan,” said a second scout. “He got lost in the sauce, so to speak.” But some teams like the fact he enters the NFL with merely 273 touches from scrimmage. “He’s still learning the position,” a third scout said. “I think he’s got a chance. He’s got size to do that.” Finished with 231 carries for 1,392 (6.0) and 17 TDs to go with 42 catches. “When he played at both places he played well,” a fourth scout said. “There must be a place for him. Key thing is he doesn’t have miles on his body. Excellent quickness and balance. One-cut downhill style. The only negative is he takes hits.” From Clayton, Ind.

11. AUDRIC ESTIME, Notre Dame (5-11 ½, 222, 4.63, 4-5): Third-year junior. “He actually played to his size,” one scout said. “Compact, downhill, powerful back. Good contact balance. Average speed, lacks some burst. He’d be a real good short-yardage back. The pass game stuff is what held me back from being a true starter. He’ll be a real good No. 2. A one-cut, stick his foot in, run you over type. Better between the tackles.” Finished with 373 carries for 2,321 (6.2) and 29 TDs plus 26 receptions. “I don’t know why everybody was so shocked when he ran so slow at the combine,” a second scout said. “That’s the way he played. Just a one-gear big dude. He’s got good vision but they clear it out and he has a nice little path to run in. Nothing elusive. Just a guy.” From Nyack, N.Y.

12. TYRONE TRACY, Purdue (5-11, 209, 4.48, 4-5): Started 16 of his 38 games as a wide receiver at Iowa from 2018-’21. Had 36 receptions in 2019. Team captain in ’21. Transferred to Purdue in 2022 and was a backup wideout before moving to running back last year and flourishing. “Love him,” one scout said. “Change of pace guy. Did really well in his first year really playing running back.” Posted 113 of his career total of 146 rushes in 2023 when he led the Big Ten in yards per carry (6.4). Finished with 947 (6.5) and 10 TDs to go with 113 receptions. “Kind of new to the position so he’s feeling it out,” a second scout said. “His vision keeps him alive. Like a No. 3 running back who contributes on special teams. Not a powerful back but he’s grown into that body and stays on his feet and fights for extra yardage. Has enough speed to get outside. Struggled in pass pro.” His 3-cone time of 6.81 led the position. From Indianapolis.

OTHERS: Dylan Laube, New Hampshire; Rasheen Ali, Marshall; Dillon Johnson, Washington; Frank Gore, Southern Mississippi; Isaiah Davis, South Dakota State; Cody Schrader, Missouri; Jawhar Jordan, Louisville; Mike Wiley, Arizona; Jabari Small, Tennessee; George Holani, Boise State; Kimani Vidal, Troy; Kendall Milton, Georgia; Jase McClellan, Alabama; Daijun Edwards, Georgia; Blake Watson, Memphis; Emani Bailey, Texas Christian.

UNSUNG HERO
Dylan Laube, New Hampshire: Prolific rusher-receiver-returner. Laube (5-10, 206, 4.46) dominated FCS competition for much of his six-year career. “He’s a poor man’s (Christian) McCaffrey or Danny Woodhead,” one scout said. “He’s as good of a receiving back as there is in the draft. One of my favorite players.” Added a second scout: “Very good … at that level. Now once you start getting in the upper competition he gets exposed for lack of explosion. But he’s got enough skill set to make a team.”

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE
Dillon Johnson, Washington: Spent three seasons receiving more than rushing in the late Mike Leach’s Air Raid attack at Mississippi State. Went to Washington in 2023 and played through injury after injury to help the Huskies reach the national championship game. Johnson (5-11 ½, 215, 4.74) hurt himself with a poor combine. “Love the way he physically finished runs,” said one scout. “Showed burst to get downhill quickly. But you don’t want to draft that (4.74). If you got some comp picks in the sixth or seventh (rounds) you take a flier and not have to go into a bidding war post-draft.”

QUOTE TO NOTE
AFC executive in personnel: “I hate all this devaluation by position. If you look, all the teams that win, for the most part, and unless they have a complete freak-show quarterback end up running the ball. I don’t care what year it is. You’ve got to be able to run the ball.”

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
36th rated C by Brugler, but 6'4, 317 and 3 yr starter. Looks like he spent time at East Carolina before trsnferring to Auburn.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Bob McGinn on DT's

Sixteen scouts were asked to rank the defensive linemen on a 1-2-3-4-5 basis, with a first-place vote worth 5 points, a second worth 4 and so on.

Byron Murphy led with 11 firsts and 69 points. Following, in order, were Johnny Newton (47, two), Darius Robinson (30, two), Kris Jenkins (26, one), Braden Fiske (23), T’Vondre Sweat (16), Michael Hall (15), Maason Smith (six), Ruke Orhorhoro (three), Brandon Dorlus (two), Justin Eboigbe (one), Jordan Jefferson (one) and McKinnley Jackson (one).

DEFENSIVE TACKLES

1. BYRON MURPHY, Texas (6-0 ½, 306, 4.90, 1): Third-year junior. “He’s built kind of like Grady Jarrett,” said one scout. “He’s got qualities like Christian Wilkins and a little bit like Kenny Clark. He’s smaller than Kenny Clark because he’s short but he’s compact, really explosive and has good hands. He fits the mold of what some some successful defensive tackles look like.” Played in a rotation with NFL draftees Keondre Coburn and Moro Ojomo and alongside starter T’Vondre Sweat in 2021-’22 before starting in ’23. “Justin Madubuike is probably the best comparison,” a second scout said. “He would have been in the first round (in 2020) if he didn’t have all the character stuff. I like Byron’s tape better than Ed Oliver’s. He’s much better than Grady Jarrett. He can play 3-(technique) or nose. He can two-gap if you need him to. As good a motor as you’ll see on an interior player. As a pass rusher, he can go through with power and he has legit edge ability, which you wouldn’t think he has the way he’s built. He’s a hard block for a guard because you can’t just (sit) on his bull because he’ll go right around you. If you protect your edges he’ll get underneath you and leverage you and bull your *** back to the quarterback. A-plus character. Great kid.” Arms measured 32 3/8 inches, hands were 10 ¼. “He’s going to be like Casey Hampton,” a third scout said. “I don’t know if he’s as strong as Casey Hampton but he sure looks like it. Hampton was a (nose tackle) but he had movement skills, too. This kid has unbelievable movement skills.” Finished with 70 tackles (15 for loss) and eight sacks. “I really believe he has to be a penetrator and a one-gapper,” said a fourth scout. “He can get in creases. Not that he’s not strong at the point; he’s more about hitting a gap and disrupting. If a team asked him to two-gap, stay square, hold the point, that’s just not his thing. He’s not very big and he doesn’t play very big. He is athletically driven. Maybe only half the league would want this guy because of scheme. Yeah, he might go top 15 but I had a hard time loving the guy.” Took about 10 snaps as a goal-line fullback and scored two touchdowns. “Don’t laugh,” said one scout. “He was killing dudes. He’s going to be a hammer fullback on goal-line. He’ll do that 100% (in the NFL).” From DeSoto, Texas.

2. JOHNNY NEWTON, Illinois (6-1 ½, 304, no 40, 1-2): Fourth-year senior, three-year starter mainly as a 3-technique. ”High motor,’ said one scout. “Lacks some length but compensates with good quickness, burst and power in both phases (run and pass). Has the physical tools to disrupt and see the field early. Just the size holds you back, but he doesn’t necessarily play to that. He’ll be a solid starter.” Arms were 32 3/8, hands were 9 ½. “He can really use his hands,” a second scout said. “His hands and feet are tied together, particularly as a rusher. He’s a little stiff and not real big, but he has a knack for rushing the passer.” Finished with 187 tackles (28 for loss) and 17 ½ sacks. “If you put him in a penetrating scheme he can change the line of scrimmage,” said a third scout. “He can play square and two-gap equally good. All 32 teams looking for a defensive lineman will find this guy as a fit. He absolutely has quickness and athleticism. He’s very, very strong at the point, and he can find the football where some guys don’t make any plays. Jordan Davis, the Georgia kid, didn’t make any plays.” Played hurt down the stretch in 2023 and underwent surgery on his foot in January. “It’s the infamous Jones fracture,” said a fourth scout. “Fifth metatarsal is one of the worst injuries you can have coming out because it is so highly likely to reoccur. Our doctors would say take those guys off the board … He plays a style that’s a big man’s game. He can use extension, press, shed and get to the ball. He plays high pads. His shin angles and ankle stiffness really show up. He’s an awesome college football player whose game does not translate ideally to the NFL. I don’t think he’ll be a failure because he’s instinctive and knows how to play the game.” From St. Petersburg, Fla.

3. DARIUS ROBINSON, Missouri (6-5, 285, 4.97, 1-2): Half the league probably views him as an edge player, half the league probably views him as a 3-4 defensive end/sub interior pass rusher. “He’s determined to be great,” said one scout. “That’s what I love about him, and it’s all real. He comes from (bleep).” Didn’t play high-school football in Canton, Mich., until his junior year. “This sucker might have the highest ceiling in the whole draft,” said a second scout. “The build, the talent. You watch him in the SEC, they line him up over tight ends in a 6-technique and he beats the **** out of that tight end. Kind of like Wayne Simmons back in the Brent Jones era. You say, ‘Holy smokes, they might throw him in prison for that.’ He is physical and violent.” Led the position in vertical jump (35 inches) and hand size (10 5/8). Arms were 34 ½. “He’s an edge rusher all day,” a third scout said. “He is violent. Plays his *** off. He’s gonna be really productive. He can win outside with a 4.97 40 because he can kick your ***. He’s got enough get-off. He’ll win because he’s got 34-inch arms and (big) hands. He’s as good a grab-and-jerk pass rusher as there in the draft … I can’t see him playing inside at all. He’s too stiff to be an every-down 5-technique.” Starting 30 of 47 games, he finished with 111 tackles (21 for loss) and 13 sacks. “He was real average and not productive at all as a tackle,” a fourth scout said. “As an end, the 290 can come into play as he sets the edge. He was a bit of an underachiever. Kind of body beautiful. The more you did, the less you like. He’s just a straight-line bull rusher.” From Southfield, Mich.

4. KRIS JENKINS, Michigan (6-2 ½, 301, 4.95, 2): Made 33 starts over four seasons. “Like that kid but he don’t make any plays in the pass or the run,” one scout said. “It’s all technique for him. He’s consistent. His weakness is his instincts. He doesn’t have Cullen Jenkins’ instincts. Cullen Jenkins is way better.” Cullen Jenkins (6-3, 305), his uncle, played 13 seasons for four teams and had 49 sacks. His father, Kris (6-4, 360), made four Pro Bowls from 2001-’10. “His old man was a beast,” said a second scout. “Amazing thing is, his old man was a whack job where this kid is a phenomenal kid. He was banged up at the end of the year. He’s too good of an athlete to drop too far.” Meager stat line showed 112 tackles (eight for loss), four sacks, one pass defensed and no forced fumbles. “At the end he was their third best defensive lineman,” a third scout said. “Their other two guys (Mason Graham, Kenneth Grant) were much better. I was kind of disappointed.” Arms were 34, hands were 9 3/8. “His effort and his play is so consistent,” said a third scout. “Not consistently amazing but every snap looks the same. You almost get bored watching this kid because he does the same thing every game. Isn’t that what we all want? He’ll be a functional starter. He’s got to play in one-gap scheme. If you just ask this guy to take on double teams he’ll struggle. I don’t think he’ll be a special rusher but he’ll be a good rusher. He plays hard.” From Olney, Md. “Just a try-hard guy,” a fourth scout said. “Knows how to play. Really not much of a factor. He’s fair. He probably makes it because of his dad but I didn’t see starter talent.”

5. BRADEN FISKE, Florida State (6-3 ½, 293, 4.76, 2): Played the 2023 season in Tallahassee after five years at Western Michigan. “I liked him way more this year than what I saw last year,” one scout said. “He took the money and improved his stock.” After a six-sack season for the Seminoles he was impressive at the Senior Bowl and aced the combine. “It always happens to a couple guys every year,” said a second scout. “He’s the one guy that won the process over in the spring. People fell in love with the workout. I think he’ll get overdrafted in the second (round). He’d be a great pick in the third.” His broad jump of 9-9 led the position. “He’s a determined, relentless athlete,” said a third scout. “His father’s a steelworker, his mom is blue collar. He’s f--king determined to win. Everybody talks about (FSU DE Jared) Verse but this guy has more of a motor than Verse. He challenges (Verse) every day at practice to be great. This kid is a winner.” Finished with 191 tackles (36 ½ for loss) and 19 ½ sacks. “I could watch the film all day long,” a fourth scout said. “You talk about passion. The negative is, hey, where’d he come from? He’s a transfer guy from the MAC so he’s a little bit late to the scene. I think this guy is destined for the first round.” His arms measured 31, the shortest at the position. Hands were 9 3/8. “We sit in meetings and say, ‘Length, length, length,’” said a fifth scout. “The guy’s got 31-inch arms. You know what you’re getting. Meat and potatoes guy. He ran fast. I’m not as high on him as maybe the league.” From Michigan City, Ind. “Now he’s a little older (will be 25 in January) and has an injury history so you’ve got to take that into account,” said a sixth scout. “But he fits bottom of the first. You could compare him to Kyle Williams because of his size and movement and angles and twisting the body and hand use. But this guy was more explosive than Kyle Williams. His weren’t manufactured workout numbers. You see the explosiveness on film.”

6. MICHAEL HALL, Ohio State (6-2 ½, 299, 4.75, 2): Third-year sophomore played 28 games, starting 12. “He didn’t even start at Ohio State,” one scout said. “I think he came out because he realized he wouldn’t play much next year. He’s strong but he plays high and doesn’t make plays.” His pro day workout included a 4.75 40, the fastest at the position. “He’s the most gifted,” a second scout said. “As good as he is, he has the highest ceiling. He played the least amount of college football. When you watch him it’s kind of easy for him at times. The length shows up and he uses it in the run game at the point. Gets good separation. As the season went he got better and better. Now the Michigan game, he struggled. You can’t ignore that one because those were the best linemen he played against. But I see him as a high-impact starter.” Finished with 45 tackles (10 for loss) and six sacks. “Watch that sack in the Michigan game — he is a dude,” said a third scout. “Now I don’t think you can take him too high because I don’t think he’s going to be an every-down player. If he gets into the right scheme where it’s all penetration upfield – and it’s not stacking and shedding blocks — you’re going to feel him and hear a lot about him as a rookie. He’s a lot stronger than you think. When he showed up at 299 on pro day (290 at the combine) that will sell a lot of people.” Arms were 33 ½, hands were 10. “He’s a problem child,” a fourth scout said. “Not real coachable. Underachiever as a worker. Didn’t have a great year production-wise.” From Streetsboro, Ohio.

7. T’VONDRE SWEAT, Texas (6-4 ½, 367, 5.27, 2-5): Played in a rotation from 2019-’21 before starting in 2022-’23. “He’s incredibly talented,” said one scout. Actually played 3-technique rather than nose tackle last season. “Sweat is a dominant player,” said a second scout. “I don’t care what he runs. They just don’t block him. He’s going to totally control the gaps. Only negative is he plays high. He just picks people up and tosses guys. He’s an athlete. He’s mobile.” One scout guessed he might have been pushing 400 in late January at the Senior Bowl when he refused to be weighed. “He’s always going to have a weight problem — you can take that to the bank,” a third scout said. “He’s big, lazy and overweight but he is very talented. He’s got some turd in him but he’s hard to move.” Was arrested for drunk driving April 7 in Austin. “Unbelievable,” said a fourth scout. “Way to live up to your (reputation). He has a real issue to do that. He could get one of the 60,000 students at Texas to drive him around for free and he decides to (drive).” Finished with 128 tackles (17 ½ for loss), five sacks and 14 passes defensed. “He’s 360 but he can move for a man that size,” a fifth scout said. “Now he’s had this DUI. He has a little bit of a reputation there so this was not really a surprise … the problem is, he’s two decades too late the way the game is played. He’s Gilbert Brown, and Gilbert Brown would be almost non-existent now.” Arms were 33 ¼, hands were 10 1/8. “Full-blown character reject,” a sixth scout said. “Took him off the board. For people that don’t care, he’s got top-two round ability. He does some freaky **** for a guy his size. Problem is, his size. He’s like 380 something in-season, and he’s fat. His football character is terrible. There’s no way you want him in your building.” From Huntsville, Texas. Added a seventh scout: “They (Texas staff) made the comment at pro day that he’s the one guy who can connect with every single person in the building. He’s got a big personality. The big defensive lineman that you want, in a good way.”

8. MAASON SMITH, Louisiana State (6-5, 308, 5.03, 3): Third-year junior. “He’s just got traits you can’t teach,” one scout said. “Has the same body type and is the type of athlete that Chris Jones is. He’s just not that level player. Plays like a freshman, honestly. I don’t think he knows how good he can be. Has a ton of upside and he’s a big man. Those guys are hard to find.” Started four of nine games as a freshman in 2021 before suffering a torn ACL in the ’22 opener. Came back to start 12 games at 3-technique in ’23 before declaring. “Should have probably stayed in school,” a second scout said. “Wasn’t great coming off the injury but most guys get better (later). I think he’ll be a better pro than college player.” His mother is a doctor and his father owns a company in the petroleum industry. “Parents are professional people,” a third scout said. “He might not be mean enough, to be quite honest. Got a lot of God-given talent. I’m gonna roll the dice with him. He was the No. 1 schoolboy defensive tackle in the country. He missed all of ’22, comes back for ’23 and there’s been a coaching change in the meantime. The D-line coach (Jimmy Lindsey) gets a brain tumor and they cycle through about five different line coaches. They didn’t know if they were a two-gap team, a one-gap team, a twist team. Truthfully, he’s a five-star who was going to play three years and head to the league no matter what. I think this year was all sort of geared to, ‘Hey, I’m just going to survive and get through the season.’ He doesn’t play hard all the time. He can play 3- or 5-technique. Very smart. He has real, real talent.” Finished with 47 tackles (9 ½ for loss) and 6 ½ sacks. Longest arms (35) at the position but also the smallest hands (8 ½). “He doesn’t play with passion,” a fourth scout said. “He’s big. He’s got range. But I can’t wait to see the team that takes him. I think he stinks.” From Houma, La.

9. RUKE ORHORHORO, Clemson (6-4, 293, 4.89, 3): Born in Nigeria, came to the Detroit area at 9 and played his first football in 11th grade after helping River Rouge (Mich.) to the Division I state basketball semifinals as a sophomore. “He looks like a million dollars,” one scout said. “He’s probably too stiff and not a dynamic enough mover to play 3-technique. He’s probably a 5-technique.” Ended up starting 30 of 53 games over five seasons. “Just jacked up, thick, ripped,” a second scout said. “Extremely violent at the point. Like he can knock you back. There’s times when he puts his hands on people he looks like he’s playing against kids because he’s so damn strong. He won’t beat you with speed but it’s still hard because he’s so damn strong and all of a sudden he jerks you. He’s got a plan and he knows what he’s good at. You don’t see this guy trying to rush the edge of a guard because he’s not fluid and fast enough to do that.” Finished with 85 tackles (25 ½ for loss), 12 sacks and nine passes defensed. Arms were 34, hands were 9 3/8. “He’s a height-weight-speed guy,” said a third scout. “I thought the action inside was too much for him to see blockers coming at him from both angles. He might be better as a big end where you’re isolated on one side. Doesn’t make a lot of plays but he’s big and can run fast in a straight line. You want to work with him but he’s far from being some productive, finished product.” From Lagos, Nigeria.

10. BRANDON DORLUS, Oregon (6-3, 286, 4.90, 3-4): Played up and down the line during a five-year career in which he started 40 of 57 games. “He looks like Big Bird of Sesame Street,” one scout said. “His body is not going to win any contests. Sort of the opposite of Darius Robinson. He doesn’t look the part. He’s got really athletic hands and feet. He’s got some natural pass rush because of the hand and foot activity. His weight has been a little all over the map. One time he’ll be 270 and playing outside, the next year he’ll be up to the 290s and play inside. He’s not really a glass-eater inside but he’s not super fast on the outside. He’s sort of a ‘tweener. He’s got long arms so even when he doesn’t get there for the sack he can affect the quarterback with his length by batting the ball or disrupting the pocket.” Batted 13 balls (eight in 2023) to go with 106 tackles (27 for loss) and 12 sacks. “He’s a big D-end or a smaller D-tackle,” said a second scout. “He’s really competitive. Not really a quick-twitch guy. When he’s on the edge he’s real strong and stout. He can do all that, but the pass rush is not there (outside). You put him inside and he’s better as a pass rusher, but he’s not as stout. He might be a 3-4 guy somebody like Pittsburgh or the Ravens will just play in there messing things up.” Arms were 33 ¼, hands were 9 3/8. From Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

11. JUSTIN EBOIGBE, Alabama (6-4 ½, 295, 5.15, 4): Missed last nine games of 2022 with a spinal injury but returned to start all 14 games in ’23. “The injury might be a little bit of a concern,” one scout said. “He’s a big, strong, tough guy. Can play D-end in a 3-4 and also be an interior rusher in nickel situations. He’ll be a high-level backup who could potentially start.” Started 28 of 56 games over five seasons, finishing with 122 tackles (16 for loss) and nine sacks. Arms were 33 3/8, hands were 9 ¾. “I don’t love the guy’s movement,” said another scout. “His play is extremely consistent from an effort standpoint. He’s tough, he plays hard. He’ll get knocked around at times. He doesn’t always see where it’s coming from. He’s going to be a run player. He’s not going to blow (by) anybody as a pass rusher. Guys that don’t see it great in the run game as an interior guy have a hard time succeeding. That’s who he is.” From Forest Park, Ga.

12. JORDAN JEFFERSON, Louisiana State (6-2 ½, 316, 5.12, 4-5): Started 19 of 42 games at West Virginia from 2019-’22 before finishing with six starts in 13 games for the Tigers. “I have some love for him,” said one scout. “More of a run stopper but he is f--king powerful, man. Those 3-4 noses are hard to find and he is so powerful.” Might be remembered as the player who tore off the helmet of Connecticut guard Christian Haynes and hurled it close to where other players were standing during a practice at the Senior Bowl. “We asked about it: ‘Are you always angry?’” said another scout. “He just kind of shrugged it off. He’s got that D-line mentality. You like some of that but you just gotta harness it, too. Of the three LSU guys (defensive tackles) he’s probably got the lowest ceiling but the highest floor.” Finished with 90 tackles (21 ½ for loss), six sacks and eight passes defensed. Arms were 33 1/8, hands were 9 7/8. His 34 reps on the bench press were the most by the top 15 defensive tackles. “I thought he was the most disciplined and the best of their three,” a third scout said. “He really seemed to enjoy playing. More of a stay-at-home type but he has power rush ability.” From Navarre, Fla.

OTHERS: Mekhi Wingo, Louisiana State; DeWayne Carter, Duke; McKinnley Jackson, Texas A&M; Leonard Taylor, Miami; Jaden Crumedy, Mississippi State; Khristian Boyd, Northern Iowa; Marcus Harris, Auburn; Tyler Davis, Clemson; Jowon Briggs, Cincinnati; Fabien Lovett, Florida State; Logan Lee, Iowa; Gabe Hall, Baylor; Myles Murphy, North Carolina; Keith Randolph, Illinois; Justin Rogers, Auburn.

UNSUNG HERO
DeWayne Carter, Duke: Finalist in 2023 for the William V. Campbell Trophy, known as the academic Heisman. Carter (6-2 ½, 304, 5.01) is a three-time captain who has served in various leadership roles outside of football. A three-year starter, he registered 12 sacks and 11 passes defensed. “High-effort guy,” one scout said. “Kind of wills his way to make plays. Probably goes top of Day 3.”

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE
McKinnley Jackson, Texas A&M: With both parents in and out of prison, he was raised largely by his grandmother in Lucedale, Miss. Was suspended for the first two games in 2021 after being arrested on drug charges. Jackson (6-1 ½, 336, 5.25) made 24 starts and had 7 ½ sacks. “He’s the toughest f--ker on that team,” said one scout. “Nobody f--ks with him. He loves football. He’s got 33 ¾-inch arms and not an ounce of fat on him. He’s a coachable kid. Just has a horrible background.”

QUOTE TO NOTE
NFL executive: “The ones that love football are the ones that end up having great careers. And the talented guys that don’t love it that much usually fizzle.”

Next up: Edge rushers

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Kiper's updated Big Board and Top-10 by position.

Xavier Legette has really moved up. I always liked him and thought he might be a darkhorse pick for us in round 2, but seems like those chances are slim and none.

Big Board
1. Caleb Williams QB USC
2. Jayden Daniels QB LSU
3. Marvin Harrison Jr. WR Ohio St.
4. Malik Nabers WR LSU
5. Rome Odunze WR Washington

6. Drake Maye QB North Carolina
7. Brock Bowers TE Georgia
8. Joe Alt T Notre Dame
9. Troy Fautanu G Washington
10. Dallas Turner OLB Alabama

11. JC Latham T Alabama
12. Laiatu Latu OLB UCLA
13. Quinyon Mitchell CB Toledo
14. J.J. McCarthy QB Michigan
15. Olumuyiwa Fashanu T Penn St.

16. Brian Thomas Jr. WR LSU
17. Xavier Worthy WR Texas
18. Taliese Fuaga T Oregon St.
19. Terrion Arnold CB Alabama
20. Jared Verse DE Florida St.

21. Cooper DeJean CB Iowa
22. Tyler Guyton T Oklahoma
23. Nate Wiggins CB Clemson
24. Byron Murphy II DT Texas
25. Xavier Legette WR South Carolina

-

Position Rankings

Quarterbacks

1. Caleb Williams, USC
2. Jayden Daniels, LSU
3. Drake Maye, North Carolina
4. J.J. McCarthy, Michigan
5. Bo Nix, Oregon
6. Michael Penix Jr., Washington
7. Spencer Rattler, South Carolina
8. Michael Pratt, Tulane
9. Kedon Slovis, BYU
10. Jordan Travis, Florida State

Running backs
1. Jonathon Brooks, Texas
2. Jaylen Wright, Tennessee
3. Trey Benson, Florida State
4. Blake Corum, Michigan
5. MarShawn Lloyd, USC
6. Audric Estime, Notre Dame
7. Ray Davis, Kentucky
8. Braelon Allen, Wisconsin
9. Bucky Irving, Oregon
10. Will Shipley, Clemson

Fullbacks/H-backs
1. Ben Sinnott, Kansas State
2. Jack Westover, Washington
3. Dallin Holker, Colorado State
4. Jaheim Bell, Florida State
5. Trey Knox, South Carolina

Wide receivers
1. Marvin Harrison Jr., Ohio State
2. Malik Nabers, LSU
3. Rome Odunze, Washington
4. Brian Thomas Jr., LSU
5. Xavier Worthy, Texas
6. Xavier Legette, South Carolina
7. Adonai Mitchell, Texas
8. Keon Coleman, Florida State
9. Ladd McConkey, Georgia
10. Malachi Corley, Western Kentucky

Tight ends
1. Brock Bowers, Georgia
2. Ja'Tavion Sanders, Texas
3. Cade Stover, Ohio State
4. Theo Johnson, Penn State
5. Tanner McLachlan, Arizona
6. Erick All, Iowa
7. Jared Wiley, TCU
8. Mason Pline, Furman
9. Devin Culp, Washington
10. Tip Reiman, Illinois

Offensive tackles
1. Joe Alt, Notre Dame
2. JC Latham, Alabama
3. Olu Fashanu, Penn State
4. Taliese Fuaga, Oregon State
5. Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma
6. Amarius Mims, Georgia
7. Jordan Morgan, Arizona
8. Roger Rosengarten, Washington
9. Patrick Paul, Houston
10. Kingsley Suamataia, BYU

Guards
1. Troy Fautanu, Washington
2. Cooper Beebe, Kansas State
3. Christian Haynes, Connecticut
4. Zak Zinter, Michigan
5. Dominick Puni, Kansas
6. Christian Mahogany, Boston College
7. Sataoa Laumea, Utah
8. Mason McCormick, South Dakota State
9. Layden Robinson, Texas A&M
10. Brandon Coleman, TCU

Centers
1. Graham Barton, Duke
2. Zach Frazier, West Virginia
3. Jackson Powers-Johnson, Oregon
4. Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, Georgia
5. Tanor Bortolini, Wisconsin
6. Beaux Limmer, Arkansas
7. Matt Lee, Miami
8. Drake Nugent, Michigan
9. Dylan McMahon, NC State
10. Hunter Nourzad, Penn State

Defensive ends
1. Jared Verse, Florida State
2. Darius Robinson, Missouri
3. Adisa Isaac, Penn State
4. Brennan Jackson, Washington State
5. Marshawn Kneeland, Western Michigan
6. Brandon Dorlus, Oregon
7. Justin Eboigbe, Alabama
8. Cedric Johnson, Ole Miss
9. Myles Cole, Texas Tech
10. Braiden McGregor, Michigan

Defensive tackles
1. Byron Murphy II, Texas
2. Jer'Zhan Newton, Illinois
3. Ruke Orhorhoro, Clemson
4. Braden Fiske, Florida State
5. Kris Jenkins, Michigan
6. Michael Hall Jr., Ohio State
7. Maason Smith, LSU
8. T'Vondre Sweat, Texas
9. Mekhi Wingo, LSU
10. McKinnley Jackson, Texas A&M

Off-ball linebackers
1. Edgerrin Cooper, Texas A&M
2. Junior Colson, Michigan
3. Payton Wilson, NC State
4. Cedric Gray, North Carolina
5. Jeremiah Trotter Jr., Clemson
6. Bookie Watson, Mississippi State
7. Trevin Wallace, Kentucky
8. Edefuan Ulofoshio, Washington
9. Marist Liufau, Notre Dame
10. Tommy Eichenberg, Ohio State

Outside linebackers
1. Dallas Turner, Alabama
2. Laiatu Latu, UCLA
3. Chop Robinson, Penn State
4. Chris Braswell, Alabama
5. Mohamed Kamara, Colorado State
6. Bralen Trice, Washington
7. Jonah Elliss, Utah
8. Austin Booker, Kansas
9. Javon Solomon, Troy
10. Gabriel Murphy, UCLA

Cornerbacks
1. Quinyon Mitchell, Toledo
2. Terrion Arnold, Alabama
3. Cooper DeJean, Iowa
4. Nate Wiggins, Clemson
5. Kool-Aid McKinstry, Alabama
6. T.J. Tampa, Iowa State
7. Kamari Lassiter, Georgia
8. Max Melton, Rutgers
9. Ennis Rakestraw Jr., Missouri
10. Mike Sainristil, Michigan

Safeties
1. Javon Bullard, Georgia
2. Tyler Nubin, Minnesota
3. Cole Bishop, Utah
4. Jaden Hicks, Washington State
5. Dadrion Taylor-Demerson, Texas Tech
6. Calen Bullock, USC
7. Kamren Kinchens, Miami
8. Beau Brade, Maryland
9. Jaylin Simpson, Auburn
10. Malik Mustapha, Wake Forest

Kickers and Punters
1. Tory Taylor, Iowa (P)
2. Cam Little, Arkansas (K)
3. Joshua Karty, Stanford (K)
4. Austin McNamara, Texas Tech (P)
5. Will Reichard, Alabama (K)
6. Ryan Rehkow, BYU (P)
7. Harrison Mevis, Missouri (K)
8. Matthew Hayball, Vanderbilt (P)
9. Ryan Sanborn, Texas (P)
10. Spencer Shrader, Notre Dame (K)

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
ESPN Latest Draft Buzz:

Which NFL team's first-round pick could surprise everyone on Thursday?

Miller: Las Vegas Raiders. One constant I keep hearing from people I trust is that the Raiders really do like Washington quarterback Michael Penix Jr. and could select him at No. 13 overall. That would qualify as a surprise, despite the fact that Penix is a beautiful thrower from the pocket and has the best overall arm strength in this class. His medical history -- four straight season-ending injuries while at Indiana -- and his lack of mobility are concerns enough that he is ranked No. 40 on my board and is generally seen as a Day 2 prospect, but the buzz here is starting to heat up connecting the Raiders to him in Round 1. Las Vegas signed Gardner Minshew, but this team was 26th in QBR last season (40.1) and needs a long-term solution.

Reid: Los Angeles Rams. How could you not choose the team that has a first-round pick for the first time since 2016? The Rams are in an interesting spot at No. 19 overall. Pass-rusher is an obvious need, but Alabama's Dallas Turner, UCLA's Laiatu Latu and Florida State's Jared Verse might all be off the board. So while many expect Los Angeles to pursue edge rushing help, I think it could look elsewhere and get help either along the interior defensive line or at cornerback -- even after signing veterans in Tre'Davious White and Darious Williams at the latter spot. There are a lot of options at play for the Rams.

Yates: Atlanta Falcons. Outside of the three quarterbacks at the top of the draft, I'd venture to guess that no player has been mocked to a specific team as frequently as Turner has been paired with the Falcons. So with that in mind, anything but Turner to Atlanta at No. 8 would qualify as a surprise. The fit makes too much sense for me to discount it, factoring in Turner's traits and the Falcons' massive need. But there are other options Atlanta could reasonably consider at that spot, including cornerback or wide receiver depending on how the board falls.

-

Name a late riser who could sneak into Round 1.

Reid: Kingsley Suamataia, OT, BYU. "He's athletic, experienced at both tackle spots and will be 21 throughout his rookie year," an AFC executive told me. "Sign me up for that in the first round any day of the week!" After spending his first season at Oregon, Suamataia landed at BYU in 2022, where he started 12 games at right tackle and 11 at left tackle. He seemingly has all of the traits that scouts covet, as he plays with suddenness, power and awareness. Suamataia -- ranked No. 37 on my board -- just has to get stronger and play with more consistent technique. At the back end of the first round, the Ravens (No. 30) and 49ers (No. 31) are two landing spots that make a lot of sense.

Yates: Braden Fiske, DT, Florida State. There isn't much more that Fiske could do to help his draft stock. He had six sacks over his final five games in college, wrecking shop in key moments for the Seminoles. Fiske then carried that momentum into the Senior Bowl and combine, standing out at both events. His explosiveness is among the best in the entire class and for sure gives him a chance to be a late-Round 1 pick. Should he still be on the board in Round 2, his overall size (he's 292 pounds with 31-inch arms) and age (he turned 24 in January) are the most likely factors. I have Fiske ranked No. 39 overall on my final board.

Miller: Marshawn Kneeland, EDGE, Western Michigan. Every year there is a player who rises into Round 1 based on scheme fit and team need. This year, my bet is on that being Kneeland. The 6-foot-3, 267-pound senior had 36 pressures in 2023 and a very strong pre-draft process at the Senior Bowl and combine. His size, strength and run-defending abilities make him one of the few true 4-3 defensive ends ranked in my top 50 (No. 48). And Kneeland could be a target for teams like Tampa Bay, Buffalo or even San Francisco late in Round 1.

-

How legit is the Malik Nabers over Marvin Harrison Jr. talk?

Yates: It's legit because there are NFL teams that simply prefer LSU wide receiver Malik Nabers in a vacuum over Ohio State's Marvin Harrison Jr. There just are. But ultimately, it's not a matter of whether Harrison or Nabers is viewed as the better player by the majority of the league -- it's a matter of which team will begin the wide receiver run at the draft, because it only takes one. My sense is that if Harrison goes ahead of Nabers -- even by just one spot -- there will be people in the court of public opinion who'll dismiss that the chatter was ever even real. I'm here to say it is real. I personally have Harrison at No. 3 overall and Nabers right behind him at No. 4, though.

Reid: Yeah, it's very real because some teams feel Nabers' after-the-catch ability gives him an advantage. Offensive systems that value receivers who can create new opportunities once the ball is in their possession might like Nabers more. There isn't a wideout in this draft class who can flip the scoreboard as quickly as the former LSU target because of his explosive traits, as he had 595 yards after the catch last season, 10th in the country. I'm the only one here who has Harrison at No. 1 overall, but Nabers is still No. 3 on my board.

Miller: I agree with you both -- for some teams this is possible. But I've talked to others on calls over the past week who say that Harrison is the clear-cut No. 1 wide receiver. And still yet, others prefer Washington's Rome Odunze. It all comes down to scheme fit and style preference, and it's a credit to the talent of all three receivers that they're being grouped so closely together. My board stacks them back-to-back-to-back, with Harrison edging Odunze and Nabers in that order.

-

What else are you hearing with under one week to go?

Miller's notebook:

- There are a lot of Drake Maye believers out there. In a call with an NFC North scout this week, we talked about the North Carolina quarterback's upside and physical traits. This scout believes Maye is the "clear-cut QB2 and not far behind QB1" in this class. The scout said, "Maye's arm, mobility ... those are all things you can't coach, and then you add in that he's so raw. Teams think they can take him to the moon once he's developed." That doesn't likely affect how early Maye goes, since everyone I've talked to believes he'll be no worse than the third pick in the draft as of now. But the talk over the past month that teams might not be as high on him as most people think is certainly not a consensus viewpoint.

- Here's a name to keep an eye on when the draft gets rolling: Mississippi State cornerback Decamerion Richardson. In chats with scouts this week, his name consistently came up as a favorite of staffs once draft meetings were finalized. The 6-foot-2, 188-pounder led all SEC corners in tackles the past two seasons (136) and is a man coverage expert. Scouts believe he's a potential Round 3 selection.

-

Reid's notebook:

- Verse being picked inside the top 12 isn't out of the question. Evaluators are really enamored with his floor and the pro-readiness of his game. Because of Verse's reliability against the run and continued improvement as a pass-rusher, there are some teams that feel he's the best of the bunch at the position right now. With heavy hands, his ability to consistently set the edge is evident on tape. The steps that Verse has made since transferring to FSU from Albany have many believing that he's only going to continue to get better, too.

- Illinois defensive tackle Jer'Zhan Newton had his pro day workout for scouts on Tuesday. He only participated in positional drills, but this was the first time Newton took the field since Illinois' season finale against Northwestern. "He looked really good considering he's fresh off of surgery a few months ago [in January]," said an NFC area scout who was in attendance. "I still believe he goes in the back end of Round 1 because the tape is too good." Texas' Byron Murphy II is still expected to be the first interior defender off the board, but with many teams searching for help inside, Newton could still find himself getting picked on Day 1. He ended at No. 25 on my board.

-

Yates' notebook:

- One idea that people around the NFL have bandied about with me is whether the Cardinals would want to ensure they have a trade back up the order set after a trade down. For example, if they moved down from No. 4 to No. 11, they might want to have a move from No. 11 back into the top 10 in place. The reason? While there is great depth in this wide receiver class, moving outside the top 10 picks will likely cost Arizona any shot at Harrison, Nabers or Odunze.

- A pair of offensive tackles who I think have a real chance to land late in Round 3 are Caedan Wallace (Penn State) and Matt Goncalves (Pittsburgh). Goncalves had an injury-shortened 2023 season due to a toe issue but has good experience starting at both tackle spots in college. Wallace -- who surrendered just one sack this past season -- has 40 career starts (all at right tackle) and very good length. They check in at No. 114 (Wallace) and No. 115 (Goncalves) in my top 200, but I think they could each hear their names called a bit higher

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This guy was kind of on my watch list for our 2nd rd pick if we did not take a OT in round 1.

Seems like that might be a pipe dream now.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Mel Kiper- some favorite prospects

Quarterback

Michael Pratt, Tulane

Last year, I picked former Houston signal-caller Clayton Tune as my guy here. He went on to start a game for the Cardinals after being drafted in Round 5. Once again, I'm going to go with a quarterback likely to be picked on Day 3.

Pratt has flown under the radar in a deep class, but I love his game. He's just solid in all areas. He started 45 games over four college seasons, improving every year. He completed 55.1% of his passes as a freshman in 2020 and went all the way up to 65.4% in 2023. He threw 49 touchdown passes and just 10 interceptions over his final two seasons while adding 15 more rushing scores. He went 22-3 as the starter over that time frame, elevating the Tulane program.

Is Pratt going to step in and be Brock Purdy for a team in 2024? No. But on Day 3, teams are looking for traits, and they're looking for passers who won't lose a game for the team. Pratt could be a longtime No. 2 QB at the next level.

Projection: The 6-foot-2 Pratt, my eighth-ranked quarterback in the class, should go off the board in Round 4 or 5.

Running back

Jaylen Wright, Tennessee

Wright made my list of risers after the combine, where he put up a 4.38-second 40-yard dash, an 11-foot-2 broad jump and a 38-inch vertical leap, all of which ranked close to the top at his position. He is a supreme athlete, and his tape matches that too. In 2023, he averaged 7.4 yards per carry, which ranked third in the FBS, and 4.1 yards after contact per carry, which ranked ninth. How did he have only four touchdowns?

Wright hits the hole decisively, but I also love that he is a stellar pass-blocker. He can handle blitzers and play on third downs in the NFL. He caught only 30 passes in three seasons for the Vols, but he has the tools to develop as a pass-catcher.

Projection: Wright is my second-ranked running back, but I projected only one back (Texas' Jonathon Brooks) in the first two rounds of my latest mock draft, just based on the value of the position. I see Wright being picked early in Round 3 and making an impact as a rookie.

Wide receiver

Bub Means, Pitt

Means had an interesting college career, as he played cornerback at Tennessee then transferred to Louisiana Tech, where he averaged 19.5 yards on 22 catches in 2021. He finished his career at Pitt, catching 68 passes for 1,122 yards and eight touchdowns over the past two seasons.

At 6-foot-1 and 212 pounds, Means has an intriguing blend of size, strength and speed. He ran a 4.43-second 40-yard dash at the combine and had a 39.5-inch vertical leap. He put up solid numbers even with some rough quarterback play. And he has huge hands and long arms. There's a lot to like here for wide receiver coaches.

Projection: Means is likely to be drafted in Round 3, though he might need a little bit of development time before he reaches his potential.

Tight end

Cade Stover, Ohio State

Stover is going under the radar a little bit, but he's a heckuva player. He started his Buckeyes career on defense, and he made a couple of spot starts at linebacker at the end of the 2021 campaign. He has been a full-time tight end since 2022, though, and he had 77 catches for 982 yards and 10 touchdowns over the past two seasons.

Stover understands how to get open against zone coverage, finding soft spots and showing his hands to his quarterback. He's aggressive and tough. He is still inconsistent as a blocker, but he has the strength and movement skills to be really solid in the run game. He also didn't drop any of his 52 targets last season.

Projection: The 6-foot-4, 247-pound Stover is my third-ranked tight end, and I see him going in Round 3 and making an impact as a rookie.

Offensive tackle

Roger Rosengarten, Washington

Rosengarten might have been a top-10 pick in next year's draft if he had stayed in school for another season. That's how highly I think of him. The 6-foot-5 308-pounder started at right tackle for the Huskies over the past two seasons, and he did not allow a single sack on 1,158 pass-blocking plays in that time frame. He locked down the blind side for left-handed quarterback Michael Penix Jr.

Rosengarten was overshadowed at times because he played on the other side of Troy Fautanu, who might be a top-10 pick in this draft. But Rosengarten is a great player in his own right. He also impressed at the combine, where he ran a 4.92-second 40-yard dash, which was the fastest of any 300-pound player -- on offense and defense -- in attendance.

Projection: I've connected him with the 49ers at No. 31 overall in a couple of my recent mock drafts -- as they need a right tackle -- and I don't think he'll get out of the top 40 picks.

Guard

Troy Fautanu, Washington

I'm going back-to-back with Huskies because Fautanu has been one of my favorites for the past year. He simply dominated on the left side of the line. He played left tackle the past two seasons, but I envision his highest ceiling as a guard, where he started two games in college. I see an All-Pro guard when I watch him move, in the vein of Zack Martin, who played tackle at Notre Dame before moving to guard for the Cowboys.

In his career, Fautanu allowed two pressures on passes thrown in 2.5 seconds or less, according to ESPN Stats & Information tracking. Not sacks -- pressures. He was extremely consistent on a snap-to-snap basis.

Projection: There are some NFL teams that believe the 6-foot-4 Fautanu will stick at tackle, which means we shouldn't rule him out of going in the top 10. Right now, I have my top-ranked guard going off the board at No. 16 overall to Seahawks, who desperately need a day one starter at the position.

Center

Zach Frazier, West Virginia

Frazier is on this list because he broke his leg in late November and already has made his way back to be able to work out for NFL teams. He is one tough and fierce guy. A four-time heavyweight wrestling state champion in West Virginia, he played guard, tackle and center for the Mountaineers. He settled in at center over the past three seasons and developed into one of the best in the country.

Projection: Frazier is my second-ranked center, and I expect him to be picked in the top 50.

Defensive tackle

Ruke Orhorhoro, Clemson

Orhorhoro went from not playing football until his junior year of high school to a three-year starter for the Tigers. That's remarkable, and you can see on tape that he is still learning the nuances of the game. The 6-foot-4, 294-pound lineman has some upside as an interior penetrator; he had 11.5 sacks and 20.5 tackles for loss since 2021.

Orhorhoro can play as a 5- or 3-technique, which ups his value at the next level. He is strong at the point of attack and can move guards and centers off the ball. He's great against the run. I really like his upside.

Projection: Orhorhoro has had a great pre-draft process, rising all the way to being my No. 3 defensive tackle. I see a fit for him in Round 2.

Defensive end

Brennan Jackson, Washington State

Jackson is another player who made my list of post-combine risers. We know teams place a premium value on defenders who can get after quarterbacks, and in an edge rusher class in which there's not much consensus, he's an intriguing player. He had 19.5 sacks over the past three seasons, but what I love about his tape is that he never takes plays off. He flies around the field. He's extremely quick off the ball. And his workout in Indianapolis was better than I expected.

Projection: I have a Round 3 grade on Jackson, my fourth-ranked defensive end, but he could slip into Round 4.

Outside linebacker

Jalyx Hunt, Houston Christian

Die-hard draft fans should know this name by now because he has emerged as a potential Day 2 pick. Hunt has really impressive tape, and he has grown into his 6-foot-4, 252-pound frame. He began his college career at Cornell, where he played safety. He had 26 tackles in 2021. He transferred the following year and moved to outside linebacker, and he racked up 13.5 sacks and was credited with 133 tackles over the past two seasons.

Hunt is fast to the ball in pursuit, and he started to develop some pass-rush counters last season. He also tested well at the combine, running a 4.64-second 40-yard dash and putting up a 10-foot-8 broad jump, which are tremendous numbers for his size. He is an impressive talent.

Projection: Hunt is very raw, but we know NFL teams covet edge rushers, and he has intriguing traits. So, while I have a Round 3 grade on him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in Round 2.

Off-ball linebacker

Bookie Watson, Mississippi State

I could have gone with Edgerrin Cooper of Texas A&M here, but that's too easy. Cooper is my top-ranked off-ball linebacker. Let's instead look to Watson, a defender who stuffed the stat sheet in the SEC. Watson had 244 tackles, 24 total tackles for loss, 16 sacks and 3 forced fumbles over the past two seasons. He did all that while taking the majority of his snaps as a middle linebacker.

Watson isn't the fastest player, but his long arms allow him to be a menace in passing lanes. He might not end up being a three-down player in the NFL, but he can be productive on run downs.

Projection: Watson, my No. 6 off-ball linebacker, likely will be a Round 4 or 5 pick.

Cornerback

T.J. Tampa, Iowa State

I really think Tampa is being underrated. I would take him in Round 1 if I were the general manager of a corner-needy team drafting in the late 20s. Tampa checks every single box for me: He is fast, physical and long, has great instincts and gets his hands on passes. I really like how he leveled up last season, playing 378 coverage snaps while allowing just one touchdown as the nearest defender. He got better every single game in his career.

Tampa had two interceptions last season and just three total in his career, but I like his ball skills. He'll get up and knock receivers around in press coverage. He'll also tackle in the run game.

Projection: If Tampa were a little bit faster -- he ran a 4.52-second 40-yard dash at his pro day -- I think he'd be a no-brainer first-rounder. At this point, though, I see him as a top-50 pick who could sneak into the top 35. He is my sixth-ranked corner.

Safety

Javon Bullard, Georgia

As I wrote in my two-round mock draft, Bullard's value comes in his versatility, as he played as a slot corner, center fielder and up near the line of scrimmage for the Bulldogs. He had four picks over the past two campaigns, and he was stellar in coverage last season. He allowed just 54 passing yards as the nearest defender in coverage in 2023, and that came on 20 attempts.

Bullard is a little undersized at 5-foot-11 and 198 pounds, but I love his all-around game and instincts in coverage.

Projection: In a safety class with no consensus No. 1 guy, Bullard is at the top of my board. He should be drafted in Round 2.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
McGinn on DE/Edge Rushers:

The four aforementioned edge rushers dominated the poll of 17 scouts asking them to rate their best on a 1-2-3-4-5 basis. A first-place vote was worth 5 points, a second-place vote was worth 4 and so on.

Dallas Turner led with 13 firsts and 74 points. Following, in order, were Jared Verse (61, two), Laiatu Latu (55, two), Chop Robinson (39), Chris Braswell (seven), Bralen Trice (seven), Marshawn Kneeland (six), Brennan Jackson (four) and Jonah Elliss (two).

-

EDGE RUSHERS

1. DALLAS TURNER, Alabama (6-2 ½, 256, 4.43, 1): Third-year junior. “He’s a traditional 3-4 guy,” one scout said. “Some 4-3 teams won’t see him as valuable as 3-4 teams. He has huge pass-rush potential, and I say potential because he wasn’t a dominant pass rusher in college. But the upside, the body type, the length, bend and speed, it’s there. His wow plays are different than the other guys’ wow plays. It just jumps out on tape. Some teams will love his flexibility to play off the ball, to match up and run vertical with tight ends. If you stand him up and move him around he’ll have a lot of value. He has the potential to be the best pass rusher in the draft, but he hasn’t gotten there yet.” His 40 and vertical jump (40 ½ inches) were position-bests. It should be noted that he weighed 247 when he ran the 40 at the combine before scaling 256 at pro day. “He’s the No. 1 overall defensive player in the draft,” a second scout said. “You see some DeMarcus Ware traits in him. But it’s, like, ‘C’mon, man, give us more against the run, give us more every down.’” Others voiced a similar refrain. “He does have too much coast,” said a third scout. “He’ll piss you off. ‘Do it every down, please.’ He’s a top-5 pick when he turns it on. Then you watch him against South Florida (Sept. 16), their left tackle (Donovan Jennings) is a late pick or free agent, he almost shut Turner down. That bothered me.” Finished with 120 tackles (33 ½ for loss), 23 ½ sacks, two forced fumbles and one pass defensed. “I have problems with him because he doesn’t finish and he doesn’t tackle well,” a fourth scout said. “He’s a full-time player if he tackled well. Soft. They (he and Will Anderson) are not even comparable. Anderson played hard, played tough, played the run. This guy against the run, he just catches. He does have explosive takeoff as a pass rusher.” Arms were 34 3/8, hands were 9 7/8. “There’s some rawness there,” a fifth scout said. “What I liked most was in big moments — third and long, tight games — this guy showed up.” From Fort Lauderdale, Fla. “He’ll flash a big play every so often when they stunt him and he comes free,” said a sixth scout. “He just doesn’t have much distinguishing talent and and he’s not really productive. Off the edge he’s not really a silky-smooth moving guy. Against the run he’s not really rugged. Overall, I don’t see it. It’s Alabama. It’s the Alabama gift that keeps on giving.”

2. JARED VERSE, Florida State (6-4, 259, 4.58, 1): Transferred after three seasons from FCS Albany, which was his only scholarship opportunity in spring 2019. “Hard-charging, tough motherf’er,” one scout said. “Gonna be the loudest guy on the field. He went from the little pond to the big pond and it didn’t affect him.” Recorded 10 ½ sacks as a starter at Albany in 2021 before registering 18 in 25 games (22 starts) for the Seminoles. “He has a zero chance you’ll miss on him if he stays healthy,” a second scout said. “He’s steady eddie, similar to the Texas kid (Byron Murphy). He’s not as fast as he ran at the combine because I think he dropped a lot of weight to run that 40 time. He was 254 and ran (4.58). Realistically, he’s a 265-pound guy that will run 4.7, which is plenty good. He’s an ***-kicker. Only thing he doesn’t have that’s a little concerning is he can’t win with just a straight fastball. He’s got to set up his rush on the outside to win. Whether it’s a counter, his hand use, a grab and jerk … you like those guys that win all three ways. Whether it’s just bursting off the edge and bending, going through with power or inside counter. He’s got 2 ½. Great kid.” Finished with 162 tackles (50 ½ for loss), 32 ½ sacks, two forced fumbles and five passes defensed. “The talent, you’ve seen better, but it’s still really good,” a third scout said. “Now you add this guy’s edge and it’s why people are really latching onto this guy. You need guys on your team like that. You need physicality on your roster.” Arms were 33 ½, hands were 9 7/8. His 31 reps on the bench led the position. “Not a top talent but I like the way he played,” a fourth scout said. “He’s rugged. Got a lot of energy. Against the run, he’s got some jolt and energy to him. As a pass rusher, he’s not really a guy trying to beat you off the edge with moves. He’s more, ‘I’m gonna keep coming with second effort.’ Really good at stunts. He’s got a little bit of power, too. He brings it all the time and wears people out. That (Clay Matthews) is a good kind of comparison.” From Berwick, Pa.

3. LAIATU LATU, UCLA (6-4 ½, 267, 4.65, 1): A master of the fine points of sacking quarterbacks. “Thing that stood out to me was he’s got a big-time outside swim and he does everything off it,” one scout said. “As he’s working your edge his feet and lower body are always moving. He’s so damn reactive and always making progress toward the quarterback. He has a plan. He has incredible feel on how he’s going to get there. You have to respect his speed. Then he's got a great long arm (stab) where he leans into your inside number. He walks guys back like they were little boys on some clips. His speed’s going to have to be respected. He’ll get tackles moving.” In November 2020 he suffered a neck injury in practice during his second season at Washington and underwent surgery. He was forced to medically retire in spring 2021. He departed for Westwood in January 2022 after finding a third-party doctor to pass him. Played all 25 games in 2022-’23 “without sticking his neck in the noise,” one scout said. Another executive said: “That’s 100% true. He’s been retrained how not to use his neck. You can see that the way he plays the game … People will get scared about his medical. There will probably be about a third of the league that kind of pulls him off the board because of the neck fusion.” The league’s ban on hip-drop tackles also might affect Latu. “He doesn’t do it as much but that’s kind of how he tackles guys,” a fourth scout said. “Like rugby. He’s not leading with his head. It’s more wrap and pull them down. I don’t know if subconsciously he does that but two months after neck surgery he played club rugby. A professional rugby team wanted to sign him.” Finished with 101 tackles (35 ½ for loss), 24 sacks, five forced fumbles and six passes defensed. “This guy looks like a lawyer in pads,” a fifth scout said. “He’s got kind of wide hips. Not smooth muscled. Not overly long, not overly developed. But he’s got a knack for rushing the passer.” Arms were 32 5/8, hands were 9 5/8. “He’s a little different,” the scout said. “There’s a lot of emotional baggage. There’s certain teams that won’t really care for the personality. This guy’s a little unique. He looks kind of pedestrian but he can shorten the corner. And he always plays hard.” From Sacramento, Calif.

4. CHOP ROBINSON, Penn State (6-3, 255, 4.51, 1): Third-year junior spent 2021 at Maryland and 2022-’23 in Happy Valley. “Love him,” one scout said. “I see Chop every bit as good as Turner. Sky’s the limit. He’s why coaches get paid. Now you’ve got some work to do with him. You get annoyed because he doesn’t have a (lot) of production this year (four sacks, 15 tackles in 10 starts) but he only played 50% of their defensive snaps. They rotate the hell out of guys.” Able to rush equally well from both sides. “Must be an ambidextrous kid,” a second scout said. “I’m telling you, you don’t find that. He’s got a burst off the edge that’s rare. This is one of the few players you will ever see that can slip and dip and make the L move at the proper angle and depth of the quarterback, and he can do it from the left and right sides. And he can play the run. He’s not a hit-and-shed guy. He’s an escape guy. He runs off blocks. He doesn’t defeat blocks but he’s so quick and athletic he doesn’t have to beat on ‘em. He can escape and pursue down the line. This is what everybody’s looking for.” His 10-8 broad jump tied for the longest at the position. “He’s sudden, explosive, plays his *** off,” a third scout said. “Michigan couldn’t block him; they couldn’t even get their hands on him. That’s exactly why they started running the ball every play.” Started 11 of 35 games, finishing with 60 tackles (20 for loss), 11 ½ sacks, three forced fumbles and three passes defensed. “This Chop Robinson is the most overrated player in the draft,” a fourth scout said. “The comp is Bryce Huff. He’s the perfect example of a guy running a (fast) 40-yard dash. The way he’s being talked about, I thought they were talking about Lawrence Taylor. It makes no sense to me. If you told me third or fourth round, I’d get it. But first round? He's not even very big. Michigan ran right at that kid and he had no answer.” Arms were 32 ½, hands were 9 1/8. “He’s like Myles Garrett,” said a fifth scout. “He has the most potential but he doesn’t finish. He just doesn’t make plays.” From Gaithersburg, Md. “He reminded me of Haason Reddick and that (Arnold) Ebiketie that came out of Penn State (second round, 2022) and has been doing well at Atlanta,” a sixth scout said. “You talk about getting off the ball and flattening the edge. Whoa. He can do it. Rare get-off.”

5. BRALEN TRICE, Washington (6-3 ½, 259, 4.70, 2): Voted the Huskies’ defensive MVP two years in a row. “He’s a freakin’ hard-charging, makes-plays guy,” one scout said. “He’s near the top of the category.” Compared by one scout to Joe Tryon-Shoyinka, the former Washington edge who was drafted No. 32 by Tampa Bay in 2021. “Trice and Verse are very similar in that you just love the way they play,” he said. “Rugged, strong at the point of attack, works his hands really well. In space, he doesn’t have that top agility and explosiveness. More of a power dude. Just keeps working. Can play different positions along the line. He’s a solid player, not a difference-maker.” Ran the 4.70 at the combine weighing 245 before putting on 14 pounds by pro day. “His game is the opposite of Latu’s,” a third scout said. “Latu was finesse and speed and hang usage where Trice is more down the line power rusher and more physical.” Arms were 32 ½, hands were 9. “The overall workout and movement didn’t fire you up,” said a fourth scout. “He’s a very good run player setting the edge and knocking you back. In the pass game, he’s extremely violent running stunts. This guy has the power just like Latu but you’re going to have tackles that can just sit on him. Yeah, he has a good get-off, but it’s not anything more than that. He doesn’t have quite the juice where I (a tackle) has to get on his horse and stay connected to this guy. I just don’t know if it’s gonna translate because he’s not a real big guy and he’s not super long.” Finished with 101 tackles (28 ½ for loss) and 18 sacks. “Big thumper,” a fifth scout said dismissively. “Fifth or sixth round.” From Phoenix.

6. MARSHAWN KNEELAND, Western Michigan (6-3, 264, 4.77, 2): Redshirted in 2019 before starting 23 of 37 games from 2020-’23. “He’s not a great athlete by any means but he’s got outstanding motor,” one scout said. “He’s a better athlete than the Missouri kid (Darius Robinson) but he’s not nearly as powerful or big. The relentlessness he plays with will allow him to succeed. For 4-3 teams he definitely has the size to play with his hand on the ground. For 3-4 teams they probably can live with his athleticism. The Senior Bowl stuff was good enough. His tape wasn’t as good as Maxx Crosby’s coming out but after watching him against similar schools (in the Mid-American Conference) it had a little bit of that feel even though they have a different style of play. Mostly because of the motor and the constant disruption.” His 4.18 short shuttle led the position. “He could be an (NFL) starter,” said a second scout. “Love his bull rush. He played well against Iowa, Syracuse, Mississippi State. He took over the game against Eastern Michigan, for whatever that’s worth. Just blows **** up.” Lightly recruited out of west Michigan, he finished with 149 tackles (28 for loss) and 13 sacks. Arms were 34 ½, hands were 9 1/8. “His run game stuff stuck out,” said a third scout. “Strong edge-setter. Plays with his hair on fire. Chases the football. Very good physicality. He's a good enough rusher where he can give you something on third down. You don’t want to draft base (defense) guys. This guy’s going to be a hell of a run player knocking people back.” From Grand Rapids.

7. CHRIS BRASWELL, Alabama (6-3 ½, 259, 4.63, 2-3): Fourth-year junior. Assumed Will Anderson’s position in 2023. “He was the No. 2 rusher behind Dallas Turner,” said one scout. “This guy is undervalued because of it. A guy like this gets to the league and because their makeup and toughness and style of play is so good they ascend. I think that’s what Braswell’s gonna be. He is not as flexible and doesn’t have the bend and the wow, but this is a really good football player. Really good get-off and quickness, strong at the point.” Finished with 76 tackles (16 for loss), 11 sacks and four forced fumbles. Arms were 33 ¼, hands were 9 3/8. “He’s got some smoke in his play,” another scout said. “He’s a highly intense player. He aligns in two-, three- and four-point stances. He can disrupt plays and the game plan.” From Baltimore. “He is nothing,” a third scout said. “Rotates in and out. He’s stiff. Got nothing on the edge. Heavy-footed. When he’s out in space he cannot do that. The sacks he had are more just effort when stuff is going on. I have him as a backup-special teams effort talent.”

8. JONAH ELLISS, Utah (6-2, 243, no 40, 2-3): Third-year junior. “I’m not going to compare him to Ryan Kerrigan because he was a hell of a player,” one scout said. “But he does remind me of Kerrigan where he knows exactly what he’s good at, he’s got a plan, he’s under control all the time, he’s just skilled. Normally a guy like that you’d say he’ll be a sub rusher. I think he’s a three-down player because he’s just as technically good in the run game.” Part of the ultimate NFL family. The father, Luther, was a Pro Bowl DT from 1995-’04 primarily with the Lions and now coaches DTs at Utah. Older brothers Kaden, Christian and Noah all played or are playing in the NFL. “His dad would have liked him to stay in school,” another scout said. “He felt it was time to strike while the iron was hot. I like the kid as a designated rusher type. He’s got a really good get-off and uses his hands well. You’d like to see more power in his game. He’s got to get better taking on tackles and combo blocks against the run.” Underwent surgery to repair a labrum in his shoulder, sat out the final three games and still didn’t feel comfortable running a 40 this spring. “I’m a fan,” a third scout said. “He got his shoulder hurt during the season and he was sort of compromised there. He continued to play. He was leading the nation in sacks for about the first month and then it’s just been downhill.” Started 18 of 35 games, finishing with 78 tackles (23 for loss) and 16 sacks. “`No wonder he’s a good player,” said a fourth scout. “Luther was a very good player. When you play at Utah you’ve got to be a tough kid. I know that coach (Kyle Whittingham) and knew his dad (Fred). You have to be tough to play for him. Tough mentality.” His 3-cone (6.69) and hand size (10 1/2) led the position. Arms were 33. “He’s undersized and not very long,” a fifth scout said. “That’s what’s holding me back. I think he may get overdrafted. He’s more of a Day 3 wave pass-rush guy. Setting an edge, playing with violence and physicality, that’s not his thing. And his dad looks like he could still play.” From Moscow, Idaho.

9: ADISA ISAAC, Penn State (6-4 ½, 253, 4.70, 2-3): Spent five years with the Nittany Lions, redshirting in 2021 after blowing out an Achilles that August. “His stock’s kind of rising,” one scout said. “Good athlete — really good athlete. Bender, can run. Not as fast as Chop (Robinson) but he’s fast. Done a really nice job of improving every year. Great kid. All his siblings are special needs. He had to grow up fast. He’s gonna make it. He’ll end up starting for somebody.” Started opposite Robinson in 2023, his second year as a regular. “His first-step explosion is some of the best in the draft,” a second scout said. “He’s got hips so he can bend around the corner. Setting the edge in the run game was a little inconsistent for a big body. Outstanding lateral range chasing the football. Very good toughness and competes. Better rusher than run game.” Finished with 92 tackles (31 ½ for loss) and 14 ½ sacks. Arms were 33 7/8, hands were 9 5/8. “He’s not strong enough for D-end and not athletic enough for linebacker,” a third scout said. “The production he has is just kind of scheme when they stunt or move him around. I didn’t see much from him at all.” From Brooklyn, N.Y.

10. AUSTIN BOOKER, Kansas (6-4 ½, 253, 4.79, 3): Third-year sophomore with perhaps the thinnest resume in the draft. Played in 18 games, starting one. “I think he probably came out because the defensive side of the (draft) is lighter,” one scout said. “Shouldn’t have. You may not be able to count on him immediately. He’s a really, really interesting guy. He can be a designated rusher in a 4-3. He can be a 3-4 outside backer. Plays hard. Fourth round for sure, some might see him in the third based on talent level and upside.” Spent his first two seasons at Minnesota, redshirting in 2021 and making two tackles in ’22. “Skinny guy — really skinny legs,” a second scout said. “He is active and nasty. Got explosiveness off the edge. Not built for the run game the way he’s built but he kills tight ends. Out in space he has explosive speed to close. Really talented dude.” Finished with 58 tackles (13 for loss) and eight sacks. Arms were 33 7/8, hands were 9 ¼. “Everybody will be scared of the person,” said a third scout. “He’s been entitled since he got there. He was a transfer. Position coach didn’t like him. Athleticism is off the charts. The ‘but’ is the 40. That’s why he gets bumped down.” From Greenwood, Ind.

11. JALYX HUNT, Houston Christian (6-3 ½, 251, 4.63, 3): A late bloomer, he spent three years in the Ivy League at Cornell playing as a backup safety. Transferred to Houston Christian (formerly Houston Baptist) in 2022 and was moved to outside linebacker. Was named defensive player of the year in the Southland Conference in ’23. “He’s third round off of athleticism alone,” one scout said. “He’s got a ton of potential. He may end up being like DeMarcus Ware. He has no f--kin’ clue but is he gifted.” Ran fast, posted a vertical jump of 37 ½ and his 10-8 broad jump tied for the best among the edge rushers. “He’s interesting,” said another scout. “He’ll be a guy somebody has to find a home for because of the multiplicity of things he can do. You’ve got to find one. If he gets typecast in the wrong thing he could struggle a little bit. He can do a lot of things but he isn’t overly instinctive or well-versed in any one thing.” Finished with 162 tackles (20 ½ for loss) and 13 ½ sacks, five forced fumbles and six passes defensed. Arms were 34 3/8, hands were 10. “I don’t know how high he’s gonna go,” a third scout said. “With those guys, people gamble on the traits all the time. He and Xavier Thomas probably have the most rare athletic traits at that position on the back end.” From DeBary, Fla.

12. MOHAMED KAMARA, Colorado State (6-1 ½, 249, 4.59, 3-4): Two-year starter had 13 sacks in 2023. “Hard ***, inner city, beat your ***, got a great takeoff,” said one scout. “That’s how he’s gonna win.” Shortest of the top 25 edge rushers and also has the smallest hands (8 5/8). “Maybe the fastest, most active hands in the whole draft,” said another scout. “His hands are lightning, and he knows how to use ‘em. I do think his role right out of the gate is just rolling him on the field in sub and tell him to go rush the quarterback. He may latch onto a DPR (designated pass rusher) role for a long time. The NFL’s 70% sub, anyways.” Started 33 of 49 games over five seasons, finishing with 179 tackles (45 ½ for loss) and 30 ½ sacks. “He’ll end up being a good pro,” a third scout said. “He might get overlooked in the draft. He may not have ideal size or whatever but he just knows how to rush the passer.” From Newark, N.J.

OTHERS: Brennan Jackson, Washington State; Cedric Johnson, Mississippi; Jaylen Harrell, Michigan; Xavier Thomas, Clemson; Eric Watts, Connecticut; Javontae Jean-Baptiste, Notre Dame; Braiden McGregor, Michigan; Gabriel Murphy, UCLA; Nelson Ceaser, Houston; Myles Cole, Texas Tech; Zion Tupuola-Fetui, Washington; Eyabi Okie-Anoma, Charlotte; Javon Solomon, Troy; David Ugwoegbu, Houston.

UNSUNG HERO
Cedric Johnson, Mississippi: Three-year starter with 19 sacks. Won the 2023 Chucky Mullins Courage Award for being the Ole Miss defensive player that embodied courage, leadership, perseverance and determination. Johnson (6-3, 261, 4.62) ran fast and posted a 38-inch vertical jump at the combine. “Has the physical tools to cause problems but he leans toward being an underachiever,” said one scout. “He’s a fast and athletic edge guy that has strength and toughness. He was more rusher than run player.”

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE
Eyabi Okie-Anoma, Charlotte: Played just two years of high-school football in Baltimore but after a 22-sack senior season he vaulted to the No. 4 recruit nationally. Played 2018 at Alabama before being thrown off. Played 2019 at Houston before being thrown off. Spent 2020-’21 at Tennessee-Martin before following his high-school coach, Biff Poggi, to Michigan where he was an assistant. Played 14 games with 2 ½ sacks for the Wolverines’ national semifinal team in 2022. When Poggi was named head coach at Charlotte in 2023 he followed him there. In 48 games (18 starts), Okie-Anoma (6-4 ½, 262, no 40) has 14 sacks. “I just can’t see him getting drafted,” said one scout. “If you take him, you’ve got to hire Biff because Biff is basically like his surrogate dad. He’s enabled him so much, too. This kid has talent but there’s no amount of money you could give me to say, ‘Hey, would you trust him to come into your building?’ F--k, no.”

QUOTE TO NOTE
NFC executive: “They always say, ‘You’re productive in the pros, then you were productive in college.’ But if you’re productive in college doesn’t mean you’ll be a good pro. There aren’t many guys that were not productive in college that turn out to be good.”

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Too big to copy and past, but here's another top-300 available prospects, this one from The Athletic.

If we go off this list and select players at (or below) our draft slots, here's who I'd pick:

1) Jer'Zhan Newton DT Illinois: They have him 28th, we've had seemingly high interest in him. Odiggy is a FA after this season and we may not have the funds for him. Newton is pretty explosive and can play the run too.

2) Patrick Paul OT Houston: (they have him rated 59th). No way do I think he makes it here now.

3) Payton Wilson LB NC State: They have him 88th, ditto what I said for Paul. Don't think he is here then but he is probably a no brainer if he is and like Newton above and Davis below, another guy we have shown quite a bit of interest in.

5) MJ Devonshire CB Pittsburgh: They have him rated 183. We need CB depth.

6) Jordan Jefferson DT LSU. They have him at 224. Not much that we "need" around our slot, so went with bigger DT to help rebuild that spot.

7a) Isaiah Davis RB S Dakota St: RB is one of top needs on team, highly productive at his level with size and good speed and we have shown some significant interest. They have him rated at 240.

7b) Andrew Raym C Oklahoma: Couldnt get a C prospect for us earlier, he has lots of starting exp. They have him rated 251

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
With the NFL Draft beginning Thursday night, we’ve updated our Dallas Cowboys big board with 50 players, broken down by the three days of the draft. It’s 10 players who make sense on Day 1 (first round), 20 players on Day 2 (Rounds 2-3) and 20 players on Day 3 (Rounds 4-7).

This group has been compiled based on fit for the Cowboys and also interest shown by the team. For example, all of the team’s official 30 pre-draft visitors are included.

With the Cowboys not picking until No. 24 and not expected to trade up, we left off several of the top players in this class. For example, we don’t expect top offensive tackles like Joe Alt or Olu Fashanu to still be there when Dallas is on the clock, so they were not included.

Day 1

Byron Murphy II, DT, Texas. It’s most likely that the Cowboys will address offense with their first-round pick, but Murphy could certainly improve the middle of a defensive line that needs upgrading.

Taliese Fuaga, OT, Oregon State. A right tackle in college, Fuaga has history at left tackle, and even playing guard, which could make for a great set of options alongside Tyler Smith. However, it’s unlikely Fuaga is still on the board in the latter part of the first round.

Graham Barton, OL, Duke. The highest-rated center by The Athletic’s Dane Brugler, Barton has some position flexibility in his history but looks to be the answer to a need at center for the long haul.

Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia. One of five tackles viewed as a true first-round talent, it’s more likely than not that he’s off the board by No. 24.

Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon. The medicals are causing him to slip a little bit but Powers-Johnson would be an immediate plug-and-play option in the middle of the offensive line.

Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma. A right tackle in college, Guyton is capable of switching over to the left side and has the kind of physical attributes that, when polished, can translate well to the NFL.

Jordan Morgan, G, Arizona. The Cowboys gave significant thought to drafting Syracuse OL Matthew Bergeron last year in the first round. Brugler on Morgan in this year’s draft guide: “Though he can survive at tackle in the NFL, his skill set projects much better inside at guard, similar to Matthew Bergeron.”

Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia. If the Cowboys want to trade back, Frazier would be a candidate to be selected and immediately fill the vacancy at center.

Darius Robinson, DE, Missouri. It’s unlikely that Robinson would be the pick at No. 24. But if the Cowboys trade back and get wiped out of offensive players they like, Robinson could help improve the pass rush.

Kingsley Suamataia, OT, BYU. He’s a late riser. If the Cowboys are able to find a trade partner and move to the back of the first round, Suamataia would be a tackle capable of being a Week 1 starter on the left side.

Day 2
Cooper Beebe, G, Kansas State.
In a scenario where the Cowboys don’t address their offensive line in the first round, Beebe would make sense if he’s still there in Round 2.

Junior Colson, LB, Michigan. Linebacker is one of Dallas’ biggest needs, so a tackling machine like Colson would immediately upgrade the group. He is ranked as Brugler’s No. 1 off-the-ball LB in this class.

Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M. He was an extremely productive player last season for the Aggies, leading the team in tackles, tackles for loss, sacks and forced fumbles.

Jonathon Brooks, RB, Texas. Brugler’s top-ranked running back, Brooks is one of the most complete backs in this class and has potential to be the face of an NFL backfield, when cleared medically.

Malachi Corley, WR, Western Kentucky. Capable of fitting into an NFL scheme that offers some complexity and become a reliable receiver from the slot.

Dominick Puni, OL, Kansas. Projects as more of a guard than a tackle but has experience playing both, which can give the Cowboys options on how to allocate personnel to get their best starting five.

Ja’Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas. A receiving tight end who can supplement Jake Ferguson and help the Cowboys address the void at receiver, albeit from a different position.

Patrick Paul, OT, Houston. A pure left tackle with the frame and strength to be effective but could benefit from getting his feet wet in the NFL as a swing tackle as opposed to a Day 1 starter.

Maason Smith, DT, LSU. Dallas wants to get bigger in the middle. Adding the 6-5, 305-pound Smith would definitely help in that area

Brandon Coleman, OL, TCU. Has shown guard and tackle flexibility, which would allow the Cowboys to mold him into wherever he can be most successful in a pairing with Tyler Smith.

Roger Rosengarten, OT, Washington. He was a two-year starter at right tackle in college so he could protect the blindside of lefty QB Michael Penix Jr. The Cowboys could see him as a better fit at guard or give him the chance to make the transition to left tackle.

Blake Corum, RB, Michigan. He’s a smaller back at 5-8, 205. The Cowboys are likely looking for someone with a little more size. But he was extremely productive in college, rushing for 45 touchdowns in the last two seasons.

Trey Benson, RB, Florida State. An immediate contributor to the offense, both as a runner and pass catcher out of the backfield. He has excellent size and speed with big-play potential.

Jaylen Wright, RB, Tennessee. A three-down back with the tools to be a playmaker, Wright may be the best running back on the board, if the Cowboys wait to address the position until the third round.

Trevin Wallace, LB, Kentucky. A sideline-to-sideline athlete who could immediately provide linebacker depth alongside Eric Kendricks, DeMarvion Overshown and Damone Clark, and be a significant contributor on special teams.

Payton Wilson, LB, North Carolina State. The type of productive player any team would love to have, however, concerns about his medical history could cause him to fall in the draft.

Jared Wiley, TE, TCU. Really intriguing tangibles, along with reliable hands, which make for a lot of potential for production in the red zone.

Marshawn Lloyd, RB, USC. Brugler’s No. 5 RB in this class is shorter than Brooks, Benson and Wright, but he weighs more (220 pounds). He has big-play potential as a runner and receiver.

Braelon Allen, RB, Wisconsin. Originally committed to Wisconsin as a safety, Allen has an aggressive mindset and play style. Despite three seasons in college, Allen, playing a young man’s position, will be just 20 years old his entire rookie season in the NFL.

Audric Estime, RB, Notre Dame. He’s coming off a monster season where he rushed 210 times for 1,341 yards and 18 touchdowns. He’s a physical downhill runner with excellent size to do damage between the tackles.

Day 3

Bucky Irving, RB, Oregon. A shifty back with a lot to offer to an NFL offense, as long as the committee of backs he joins can supplement his skills and not physically wear him out.

Ray Davis, RB, Kentucky. A very productive college player, rushing for more than 1,000 yards over each of the last two seasons. There are some concerns about his workload. He had 746 college carries. By comparison, Brooks had 238.

Jase McClellan, RB, Alabama. If the Cowboys get a nimble runner in the earlier rounds, McClellan has potential to be a decent complement back with a role to grind out the clock late in games.

Emani Bailey, RB, TCU. A hometown kid from up the I-35 in Denton, Bailey has some juice as a runner but needs more development to become a multi-dimensional player.

Rasheen Ali, RB, Marshall. Speed and acceleration make him an intriguing option to take a chance on, but there are legitimate questions about his durability and ball security.

Tanor Bortolini, C, Wisconsin. If the Cowboys don’t grab a center in the first round, they will likely do so somewhere in the middle of the draft. Bortolini will probably be gone by the fourth round. This is where it would really benefit Dallas to trade back in Round 1 and add a third- or fourth-round pick in the process.

Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia. Another potential option if the Cowboys don’t address center earlier. Van Pran-Granger has started 44 games at center over the last three seasons.

Beaux Limmer, C, Arkansas. The former guard made the move to center last season. He could offer flex to be able to play both positions in the NFL.

Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State. A very smart player who is a bit up in age but, as mentioned in Brugler’s “The Beast,” he “might be this year’s Tyler Biadasz,” for better or worse.

Delmar Glaze, OT, Maryland. Worth being a little cautious with how the medical history will carry over but could be a productive player playing next to talent on the line that is better.

Andrew Coker, OT, TCU. A smart player who lacks many of the physical tools required and will have to learn how to compensate for his limitations at the NFL level.

Matt Goncalves, OT, Pittsburgh. Better in the pass game than run blocking but capable of providing solid depth across various positions on the offensive line.

Jordan Magee, LB, Temple. Brugler has a fourth/fifth-round grade on Magee, who ranks eighth among off-the-ball linebackers. He’s projected to be an immediate standout on special teams with the upside to contribute defensively in Year 1.

Ty’Ron Hopper, LB, Missouri. He might not be an every-down linebacker but could offer enough playmaking to interest the Cowboys as depth and help on special teams.

Marist Liufau, LB, Notre Dame. The late rounds seem like a great time for the Cowboys to add depth to a linebacking core that’s expected to change with Mike Zimmer as the new defensive coordinator.

Jaylan Ford, LB, Texas. He’s had more than 100 tackles in each of the last two seasons. He’s known for playing the position with exceptional instincts.

Nathaniel Watson, LB, Mississippi State. An extremely productive linebacker who is also a quality pass rusher. He led the SEC in sacks (10) and tackles (137) last season.

Jontrey Hunter, LB, Georgia State. Could be a target in the seventh round or as a priority undrafted free agent. He had 96 tackles in 12 starts last season.

Josh Newton, CB, TCU. There are several other needs much more important than corner this year. But one could be added at some point to potentially pair in the future with Trevon Diggs and DaRon Bland.

Ryan Watts, DB, Texas. He played cornerback in college, but at 6-3, 215, his best spot in the NFL could be at safety.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If we go off this list and select players at (or below) our draft slots, here's who I'd pick:

1) Jer'Zhan Newton DT Illinois: They have him 28th, we've had seemingly high interest in him. Odiggy is a FA after this season and we may not have the funds for him. Newton is pretty explosive and can play the run too.

2) Patrick Paul OT Houston: (they have him rated 59th). No way do I think he makes it here now.

3) Payton Wilson LB NC State: They have him 88th, ditto what I said for Paul. Don't think he is here then but he is probably a no brainer if he is and like Newton above and Davis below, another guy we have shown quite a bit of interest in.

5) MJ Devonshire CB Pittsburgh: They have him rated 183. We need CB depth.

6) Jordan Jefferson DT LSU. They have him at 224. Not much that we "need" around our slot, so went with bigger DT to help rebuild that spot.

7a) Isaiah Davis RB S Dakota St: RB is one of top needs on team, highly productive at his level with size and good speed and we have shown some significant interest. They have him rated at 240.

7b) Andrew Raym C Oklahoma: Couldnt get a C prospect for us earlier, he has lots of starting exp. They have him rated 251
rd 1 / pk 24 - OC zach frazier - make center great again . i dont want another biadasz in the 4th round. zach martin is not going to be here much longer, so the interior OL needs depth. keep hoffman and whatever other fatass that was supposed to handle OC and get them ready for martin's departure

rd 2 / pk 56 - OT pat paul , OT rosengarten - i think OT is great to get. DAL needs it and wouldnt have to move tyler smith

rd 3 / pk 87 - LB payton wilson - i'm cashing in my injury-prone blue chip player card on payton wilson ... hoping he spends more time studying the playbook and staying healthy than promoting his brand #ClearEyeView

rd 5 / pk 174 - no clue but maybe khristian boyd DT or evan williams S
rd 6 / pk 216 - no clue but maybe jaylen harrell EDGE - at this point in the draft i wouldnt care that he played on michigan's DL
rd 7 / pk 233 - no clue maybe jalen coker WR
rd 7 / pk 244 - RB blake watson

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I am disappointed in your lack of preparation icup

Last edited:
Top Bottom