Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fans have been screaming for the Cowboys to stop ignoring the trenches. They didn't ignore the trenches.

They needed to get more physical on both sides of the ball. Seems like they knew that and said they were going to do something about it.

That said, they drafted at the end of every round. They really were never in position to get some of the best players. You can't control what other teams do. Hell we couldn't even draft a damn PK because the two or three best ones got sucked up well before most had predicted (especially Jake Moody)

I'm one of those guys that wanted a big body in the middle of the DL so I'm not mad about Mazi, whether he pans out or not, he was worth the pick and what he could bring to the D. Complete agreement with you.

But after the first....meh....

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Deuece was sick. He officially didn't run the 40 at the combine. His reported time is 4.44. Smith was clocked at 4.53.

From the link you posted: "Deuce Vaugh did not run the 40-yard dash at the combine. He reportedly owns a self-recorded 40-yard dash time of 4.44 seconds."

Just so you and the other folks on the board know, I once ran a 4.32 40. I self timed myself.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm one of those guys that wanted a big body in the middle of the DL so I'm not mad about Mazi, whether he pans out or not, he was worth the pick and what he could bring to the D. Complete agreement with you.

But after the first....meh....
Like any other year, it'll probably be 2-3 seasons before we know how we really did.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
From the link you posted: "Deuce Vaugh did not run the 40-yard dash at the combine. He reportedly owns a self-recorded 40-yard dash time of 4.44 seconds."

Just so you and the other folks on the board know, I once ran a 4.32 40. I self timed myself.
They can time speed even just from game film. They also have 40 times from college etcetera.

Plus, he did run the 40. He ran it only once. Because he ran it only once, it doesn't count. He ran it only once because he was sick.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score

Here is Duece Vaughan running the 40 at the Pro Day on March 31, 2023. He is the one at about 55 seconds in.

They know what he runs. If technology can determine how fast Tyreek Hill was running in a game, then the same technology can tell how fast Vaughan is running in a game too. And if the "self-timed" 40 is wrong, they'd know it.

On a rudimentary level, a person can use the stopwatch on his or her phone. Go to a highlight of Vaughan running to the end zone, say the 88-yarder against Alabama, who has NFL caliber players, and time him with pads on. Then time players around him. What are their 40 times. Is Deuce outrunning them?

Vaughan has speed. The commentators don't say things like "he has tremendous speed" just because they couldn't think of anything else to say.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Nothing on Fehoko, Scott or Brooks. UDFA Hunter Luepke had a writeup too.

-

4. MAZI SMITH, Michigan (6-3, 319, no 40, 2): Labeled as “the best true nose in the draft” by one scout. Made just three tackles in 2019-’20 before starting all 28 games in 2021-’22. “Very gifted athlete-size combination,” a second scout said. “Doesn’t necessarily play as hard as he should all the time. He’ll go second round because those big bodies with that athleticism are nearly impossible to find. Obviously, the character concerns could play into that. Playing (the run) requires a lot of discipline and toughness and grit. I don’t think he’s wired that way. Just going off the physical component … well then, absolutely. But that’s when people make mistakes.” Avoided jail time in January. Sentenced to 12 months on probation for a misdemeanor weapons charge. “The gun issue was a stupid thing on his part that he let happen,” said a third scout. “He had already applied for his damn (gun) permit.” Finished with 88 tackles (six for loss) and one-half sack. “Disruptive player,” said a fourth scout. “My concerns would be his motor and strain consistently throughout the game. He’s got a lot of physical tools to play nose on early downs. He can collapse the pocket, but I don’t know if he can burst and close on a guy. But with those noses, ****, if you can get anything in the pass game that’s a plus.” Arms were 33 ¾, hands were 9 ¾. “I wasn’t impressed,” a fifth scout said. “He’s stiff. He doesn’t shed blockers or move to the ball very well. I thought his instincts and his natural strength and explosion were poor for an inside guy. He is not a good football player and I don’t think he’s a good athlete. He’s just a bull in a china shop. Those guys get stalled easy up here. He’s really wide. He just doesn’t play with his arms or his elbows in tight.” Wonderlic of 22. From Grand Rapids, Mich.

6. LUKE SCHOONMAKER, Michigan (6-5, 252, 4.62, 2-3): Fifth-year senior waited until his fourth year to get on the field. “Similar to Mayer but maybe a notch below,” said one scout. “Really a solid, well-rounded player. Does everything well. More of a No. 2 tight end ideally but he could certainly be a No. 1 for some teams.” Injured both shoulders in 2022 and then pulled up lame at pro day (plantar fasciitis). “Big-body blocking tight end,” another scout said. “Uses his size and instincts well to get open in the passing game. Wish he was more productive there. He’s a No. 3 tight end with a No. 2 ceiling.” Finished with 54 receptions (35 in ’22) for 637 (11.8) and seven TDs. “Solid in everything,” a third scout said. “Good enough athlete. Got decent movement. Got a little quickness to his routes. Good hands when he’s free. Not a playmaker by any stretch with run after the catch. One of those guys, ‘This is my route, I’m open, I’m going to catch it, good to go.’ He gave block effort. Better on the edges than as an in-line guy, but he’ll try. He’ll stick his face in there. He’ll be a solid starter.” From Hamden, Conn.

4. DeMARVION OVERSHOWN, Texas (6-2 ½, 231, 4.56, 2): Backup safety in 2018-’19 before starting 31 of 33 games at strongside LB in a 4-3 defense. “Former safety growing into the position,” one scout said. “Physical enough to handle the rigors of inside linebacker. Should be on the field for all three downs. Will do nothing but develop and get better. He’s close (to a green dot).” Finished with 249 tackles (30 ½ for loss), nine sacks and 20 passes defensed. “You want to take a chance on a guy, this guy is fast and he is tough and he plays his *** off,” said a second scout. “For a linebacker, that’s all you need. He was a pleasant surprise. He figures it out. You talk about flying to the ball, range, cover. Kind of Simpsonesque; cut from the same cloth as him.” Posted 23 on the Wonderlic. “Not very smart, can’t make calls,” a third scout said. “Doesn’t take on blocks well. He’s a see-ball, get-ball (player) or special teamer. His deal is speed, which you can’t coach. More of a finesse guy. But he can fly. It’d be hard for me to take him in the first three rounds but he might go there because he runs fast.” From Arp, Texas.

10. ASIM RICHARDS, North Carolina (6-4, 307, 5.18, 4): Three-year starter at LT. “I projected him to guard,” said one scout. “He’s just a tough guy. Nasty, strong, tough and a good athlete. Fourth round, maybe.” His 34-inch arms were the longest among the top 15 guards. His 13 reps on the bench were the fewest. “He’s got to improve his upper-body power,” said one scout. “He came in as a basketball player. Had never been to a weight room until he got to North Carolina. They begged him to come back (for 2023) but he didn’t. Everything is in front of him, but he has to get it done in the weight room.” From Philadelphia. “Probably should have gone back to school,” said a third scout. “He definitely looks and moves like he can play guard. They tried to sell him to come back to school so he’d play center. I’d take him in the fourth all day. I think he can play all five positions. He’s going to end up starting.”

UNSUNG HERO
Deuce Vaughn, RB, Kansas State: Played just three seasons but still joined Darren Sproles and Tyler Lockett as the only Wildcats to surpass 5,000 all-purpose yards. Just 5-5, he weighed 179 at the combine and then ran a disappointing 4.60 at pro day. “He’s 5-5 but he is an explosive little ****,” said one scout. “Man, this kid is so quick and tough and fast. Before you know it, he’ll be one of those guys that plays 10 years and has a pretty dang good career.”

1. HUNTER LUEPKE, North Dakota State (6-1, 234, 4.60, 5-6): Played RB in a rotation for the Bison but projects to FB. “He went 49-0 wrestling (in high school),” one scout said. “Not a mismatch in the passing game but he’ll compete and play physical with or without the ball. I wouldn’t draft him, but for the teams that need a fullback he could get by.” Scored 25 on the Wonderlic and posted a vertical jump of 36 ½. “I don’t see him like a down-and-dirty, knock-your-head-off fullback,” said a second scout. “But he’s got really good hands, runs well and blocks well enough. He’s half tight end, half fullback, half slot receiver.” Finished with 274 carries for 1,665 (6.1) and 24 TDs to go with 28 receptions and nine TDs. “He was, hands down, the best fullback in this class,” a third scout said. “He’s probably the closest thing to a Pro Bowl fullback that’s come out in a few years. You can throw it to him. He’ll be a really valuable piece for somebody.” From Spencer, Wis.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They know what he runs. If technology can determine how fast Tyreek Hill was running in a game, then the same technology can tell how fast Vaughan is running in a game too. And if the "self-timed" 40 is wrong, they'd know it.

So the NFL has this technology and Vaughn still fell to the 6th round? What are we even discussing here? Does anyone truly believe we got better at the RB position? Is that what you're trying to convince me of? IF Pollard was healthy, I'd say we might have a chance to have a solid running game. As it stands now, the running game has major issues and we have a QB that can't function without a running game and can't carry the team. The Eagles addressed their running back position. But we're going to discuss feel good stories with Vaughn.

We did not improve the RB position in the draft. Not even close. As a matter of fact, we're going to re-sign Zeke. You can bet on it. Vaughn was a fell good pick that does nothing to shore up the position. It might add a gimmick on offense, but it doesn't improve the running game.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nothing on Fehoko, Scott or Brooks. UDFA Hunter Luepke had a writeup too.

-

4. MAZI SMITH, Michigan (6-3, 319, no 40, 2): Labeled as “the best true nose in the draft” by one scout. Made just three tackles in 2019-’20 before starting all 28 games in 2021-’22. “Very gifted athlete-size combination,” a second scout said. “Doesn’t necessarily play as hard as he should all the time. He’ll go second round because those big bodies with that athleticism are nearly impossible to find. Obviously, the character concerns could play into that. Playing (the run) requires a lot of discipline and toughness and grit. I don’t think he’s wired that way. Just going off the physical component … well then, absolutely. But that’s when people make mistakes.” Avoided jail time in January. Sentenced to 12 months on probation for a misdemeanor weapons charge. “The gun issue was a stupid thing on his part that he let happen,” said a third scout. “He had already applied for his damn (gun) permit.” Finished with 88 tackles (six for loss) and one-half sack. “Disruptive player,” said a fourth scout. “My concerns would be his motor and strain consistently throughout the game. He’s got a lot of physical tools to play nose on early downs. He can collapse the pocket, but I don’t know if he can burst and close on a guy. But with those noses, ****, if you can get anything in the pass game that’s a plus.” Arms were 33 ¾, hands were 9 ¾. “I wasn’t impressed,” a fifth scout said. “He’s stiff. He doesn’t shed blockers or move to the ball very well. I thought his instincts and his natural strength and explosion were poor for an inside guy. He is not a good football player and I don’t think he’s a good athlete. He’s just a bull in a china shop. Those guys get stalled easy up here. He’s really wide. He just doesn’t play with his arms or his elbows in tight.” Wonderlic of 22. From Grand Rapids, Mich.

6. LUKE SCHOONMAKER, Michigan (6-5, 252, 4.62, 2-3): Fifth-year senior waited until his fourth year to get on the field. “Similar to Mayer but maybe a notch below,” said one scout. “Really a solid, well-rounded player. Does everything well. More of a No. 2 tight end ideally but he could certainly be a No. 1 for some teams.” Injured both shoulders in 2022 and then pulled up lame at pro day (plantar fasciitis). “Big-body blocking tight end,” another scout said. “Uses his size and instincts well to get open in the passing game. Wish he was more productive there. He’s a No. 3 tight end with a No. 2 ceiling.” Finished with 54 receptions (35 in ’22) for 637 (11.8) and seven TDs. “Solid in everything,” a third scout said. “Good enough athlete. Got decent movement. Got a little quickness to his routes. Good hands when he’s free. Not a playmaker by any stretch with run after the catch. One of those guys, ‘This is my route, I’m open, I’m going to catch it, good to go.’ He gave block effort. Better on the edges than as an in-line guy, but he’ll try. He’ll stick his face in there. He’ll be a solid starter.” From Hamden, Conn.

4. DeMARVION OVERSHOWN, Texas (6-2 ½, 231, 4.56, 2): Backup safety in 2018-’19 before starting 31 of 33 games at strongside LB in a 4-3 defense. “Former safety growing into the position,” one scout said. “Physical enough to handle the rigors of inside linebacker. Should be on the field for all three downs. Will do nothing but develop and get better. He’s close (to a green dot).” Finished with 249 tackles (30 ½ for loss), nine sacks and 20 passes defensed. “You want to take a chance on a guy, this guy is fast and he is tough and he plays his *** off,” said a second scout. “For a linebacker, that’s all you need. He was a pleasant surprise. He figures it out. You talk about flying to the ball, range, cover. Kind of Simpsonesque; cut from the same cloth as him.” Posted 23 on the Wonderlic. “Not very smart, can’t make calls,” a third scout said. “Doesn’t take on blocks well. He’s a see-ball, get-ball (player) or special teamer. His deal is speed, which you can’t coach. More of a finesse guy. But he can fly. It’d be hard for me to take him in the first three rounds but he might go there because he runs fast.” From Arp, Texas.

10. ASIM RICHARDS, North Carolina (6-4, 307, 5.18, 4): Three-year starter at LT. “I projected him to guard,” said one scout. “He’s just a tough guy. Nasty, strong, tough and a good athlete. Fourth round, maybe.” His 34-inch arms were the longest among the top 15 guards. His 13 reps on the bench were the fewest. “He’s got to improve his upper-body power,” said one scout. “He came in as a basketball player. Had never been to a weight room until he got to North Carolina. They begged him to come back (for 2023) but he didn’t. Everything is in front of him, but he has to get it done in the weight room.” From Philadelphia. “Probably should have gone back to school,” said a third scout. “He definitely looks and moves like he can play guard. They tried to sell him to come back to school so he’d play center. I’d take him in the fourth all day. I think he can play all five positions. He’s going to end up starting.”

UNSUNG HERO
Deuce Vaughn, RB, Kansas State: Played just three seasons but still joined Darren Sproles and Tyler Lockett as the only Wildcats to surpass 5,000 all-purpose yards. Just 5-5, he weighed 179 at the combine and then ran a disappointing 4.60 at pro day. “He’s 5-5 but he is an explosive little ****,” said one scout. “Man, this kid is so quick and tough and fast. Before you know it, he’ll be one of those guys that plays 10 years and has a pretty dang good career.”

1. HUNTER LUEPKE, North Dakota State (6-1, 234, 4.60, 5-6): Played RB in a rotation for the Bison but projects to FB. “He went 49-0 wrestling (in high school),” one scout said. “Not a mismatch in the passing game but he’ll compete and play physical with or without the ball. I wouldn’t draft him, but for the teams that need a fullback he could get by.” Scored 25 on the Wonderlic and posted a vertical jump of 36 ½. “I don’t see him like a down-and-dirty, knock-your-head-off fullback,” said a second scout. “But he’s got really good hands, runs well and blocks well enough. He’s half tight end, half fullback, half slot receiver.” Finished with 274 carries for 1,665 (6.1) and 24 TDs to go with 28 receptions and nine TDs. “He was, hands down, the best fullback in this class,” a third scout said. “He’s probably the closest thing to a Pro Bowl fullback that’s come out in a few years. You can throw it to him. He’ll be a really valuable piece for somebody.” From Spencer, Wis.
the mazi and schoonmaker write ups are not glowing by any means. the scouts like the other 4 guys a lot, especially vaughn

and dont even ask "third scout" anymore questions. that asshole is a hater and just shits on every prospect

Mustang1

0le Ball Coach
Reaction score
Fans have been screaming for the Cowboys to stop ignoring the trenches. They didn't ignore the trenches.

They needed to get more physical on both sides of the ball. Seems like they knew that and said they were going to do something about it.

That said, they drafted at the end of every round. They really were never in position to get some of the best players. You can't control what other teams do. Hell we couldn't even draft a damn PK because the two or three best ones got sucked up well before most had predicted (especially Jake Moody)
I wish we had been more aggressive in making moves to move up and around the draft to improve chances of getting better players. IMO this was a weak draft class overall and that’s why it was even more important to get it right. Because the Cowboys are in a win now mode they should have been more aggressive IMO. This was not the draft to let the board come to you. I believe JJ was too involved with this draft. Will McClay should be calling the shots IMO. Only time will tell but my initial impression is that overall we really missed on this draft class.

daboyz

NFCE CHAMPIONS 🏆
Reaction score

Mine too. When he takes off he'll be kickass.
The kid has a way to go before he can be a real LB in the NFL. He played a somewhat of a positionless off-the-ball spot at Texas that doesn’t really exist in the NFL, kind of similar to former Jets first-round pick Darron Lee. A third-round pick isn’t the biggest price to pay here, though, so this may turn out to be inconsequential.

Top Bottom