dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I mentioned him yesterday, really like the guy. Might be a C only but he could end up being a really good late day two or day three value. Might be good enough that you could let Biadasz walk in free agency next offseason.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
it would be very DAL to draft the guy w/ back problems

Todd Archer is pretty good usually naming names for Dallas, and he says he keeps hearing Darnell Washington is their guy.

Of course Broaddus was out there a couple times in the last few days saying they prefer Mayer and Kincaid over Washington and that "there was something Cowboy people didnt like about Washington"

Washington was a Top-30 visit though. I don't think Kincaid or Mayer were.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Todd Archer is pretty good usually naming names for Dallas, and he says he keeps hearing Darnell Washington is their guy.

Of course Broaddus was out there a couple times in the last few days saying they prefer Mayer and Kincaid over Washington and that "there was something Cowboy people didnt like about Washington"

Washington was a Top-30 visit though. I don't think Kincaid or Mayer were.
i think washington has a knee problem or something injury related

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A Rodge and two OSU WR's. They have a good defense and their OL and RB's are not bad (RB coming off injury I believe but he was impressive prior to that)
yes breece hall was nasty before getting hurt... jets are going to be a problem if they do not implode before rodgers leads them down a bad acid trip

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
ZERO CHANCE of at least the first pick happening 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

26: R1 P26 QB Hendon Hooker - Tennessee
58: R2 P27 LB Jack Campbell - Iowa
90: R3 P27 RB Zach Charbonnet - UCLA
129: R4 P27 S Christopher Smith II - Georgia
169: R5 P34 TE Payne Durham - Purdue
212: R6 P35 WR Dontay Demus Jr. - Maryland
244: R7 P27 K Chad Ryland - Maryland

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Looks like a nice Dak replacement to me.
There is an "out" in Dak's contract after 2023. But it still would be somewhere around 61 million in dead cap.

But, it splits to about 25 million in 2024 and 36 million in 2025. Is it worth the cost of dumping Dak?I suppose it depends on their evaluation of Hooker and if they are right.

This is the same brass that tried to trade up to get Paxton Lynch. I was thinking the other day that it was a good thing Dallas didn't trade back and pass on Zeke, because we might have ended up with Lynch and not Dak.

Then again, landing Lynch might have put us in position to get Patrick Mahomes. The football gods can be devious.

Unless Jerry is secretly in love with Hooker, it seems we are stuck with Dak.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm currently watching Aaron Rodger's press conference with the Jets.

I'm thinking, if Jerry hadn't married himself to Dak (a good to very good QB), we could have had Tom Brady followed by Aaron Rodgers (great QBs). Sure, there was no guarantee either would have signed, but Dallas is still a major attraction and there is obviously a history between Rodgers and McCarthy. Moreover, given that McCarthy wants to implement at least parts of the West Coast, why wouldn't Rodgers sign?

I truly believe that this idea that QBS are hard to find is no longer true. Yes, absolutely, a team might have to wait 2 or 3 years, but it's not how it used to be. You just have to have the balls to make the deal, like for a Watson, or now a Lamar. And don't marry yourself long term to a QB who hasn't sniffed the SB or shown to be great.

But, if you marry yourself to a good to very good QB, and pretend he is a great QB, then you shut off the possibility of getting a great one.

I say draft Hooker, if he is there, and see what you have. If he is average, ok you wasted a first round pick. It wouldn't be the first.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This is the same brass that tried to trade up to get Paxton Lynch. I was thinking the other day that it was a good thing Dallas didn't trade back and pass on Zeke, because we might have ended up with Lynch and not Dak.

Unless Jerry is secretly in love with Hooker, it seems we are stuck with Dak.
Lynch would have been a Cowboy had Jerry had his way that day, he wanted to give up more to Seattle to get that trade up done and everyone else in the room didn't say no they said hell no. They also tried to move up in the 4th for Connor Cook before settling on Prescott. I believe Wade Wilson at the time was the one who was most interested in Prescott and kept telling the Cowboys to take him.

On Hooker, we have heard all offseason that the Cowboys and McCarthy like him. I doubt we take him (if he's even there, many now believe he'll end up going teens or early 20's) but it's a move that shows the kind of foresight towards future roster building that the Jones have not ever really shown.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
ZERO CHANCE of at least the first pick happening 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

26: R1 P26 QB Hendon Hooker - Tennessee
58: R2 P27 LB Jack Campbell - Iowa
90: R3 P27 RB Zach Charbonnet - UCLA
129: R4 P27 S Christopher Smith II - Georgia
169: R5 P34 TE Payne Durham - Purdue
212: R6 P35 WR Dontay Demus Jr. - Maryland
244: R7 P27 K Chad Ryland - Maryland
Love the first two picks although I doubt either is available to us where we pick in 1 and 2.

Ryland or Michigan's Jake Moody have to be major day three draft targets for us, and our ST coaches personally worked out both.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Bob McGinn's Top-100 players selected (by position group)

Here is my first and only listing of how I’m projecting the first 100 players to be selected Thursday and Friday in the NFL draft.

Players are listed from best to worst within each position group.

This also will serve as my entry into The Huddle Report’s Top 100 board contest. According to THR, these scores have become the standard by which draft publications, sites and media personnel are measured.

Since first entering in 2009 my board has finished first five times (2011, 2012, 2013, 2019, 2022) and tied for second twice (2010, 2020). In terms of five-year averages (2018-’22), mine is tied for first place with NFL Draft Rough at 86.0.

OFFENSE (52)
Wide receivers (12): Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State; Jordan Addison, Southern California; Quentin Johnston, Texas Christian; Zay Flowers, Boston College; Jalin Hyatt, Tennessee; Josh Downs, North Carolina; Jonathan Mingo, Mississippi; Cedric Tillman, Tennessee; Marvin Mims, Oklahoma; Tyler Scott, Cincinnati; Nathaniel Dell, Houston; Jayden Reed, Michigan State.

Tight ends (9): Michael Mayer, Notre Dame; Dalton Kincaid, Utah; Luke Musgrave, Oregon State; Sam LaPorta, Iowa; Darnell Washington, Georgia; Luke Schoonmaker, Michigan; Tucker Kraft, South Dakota State; Josh Whyle, Cincinnati; Brenton Strange, Penn State.

Tackles (7): Paris Johnson, Ohio State; Broderick Jones, Georgia; Darnell Wright, Tennessee; Anton Harrison, Oklahoma; Matt Bergeron, Syracuse; Dawand Jones, Ohio State; Carter Warren, Pittsburgh.

Guards (7): Peter Skoronski, Northwestern; Cody Mauch, North Dakota State; Steve Avila, Texas Christian; O’Cyrus Torrence, Florida; Chandler Zavala, North Carolina State; Nick Saldiveri, Old Dominion; Atonio Mafi, UCLA.

Centers (4): Joe Tippmann, Wisconsin; John Michael Schmitz, Minnesota; Juice Scruggs, Penn State; Luke Wypler, Ohio State.

Quarterbacks (6): Bryce Young, Alabama; C.J. Stroud, Ohio State; Will Levis, Kentucky; Anthony Richardson, Florida; Hendon Hooker, Tennessee; Jake Haener, Fresno State.

Running backs (7): Bijan Robinson, Texas; Jahmyr Gibbs, Alabama; Zach Charbonnet, UCLA; Kendre Miller, Texas Christian; Devon Achane, Texas A&M; Roschon Johnson, Texas; Israel Abanikanda, Pittsburgh.

DEFENSE (48)
Defensive line (8): Jalen Carter, Georgia; Bryan Bresee, Clemson; Keeanu Benton, Wisconsin; Mazi Smith, Michigan; Calijah Kancey, Pittsburgh; Keion White, Georgia Tech; Adetomiwa Adebawore, Northwestern; Gervon Dexter, Florida State;

Edge rushers (13): Will Anderson, Alabama; Lukas Van Ness, Iowa; Tyree Wilson, Texas Tech; Myles Murphy, Clemson; Will McDonald, Iowa State; Nolan Smith, Georgia; Isaiah Foskey, Notre Dame; Derick Hall, Auburn; BJ Ojulari, Louisiana State; Byron Young, Tennessee; Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Kansas State; Tuli Tuipultou, Southern California; Zach Harrison, Ohio State.

Linebackers (6): Jack Campbell, Iowa; Drew Sanders, Arkansas; Trenton Simpson, Clemson; DeMarvion Overshown, Texas; Daiyan Henley, Washington State; Dorian Williams, Tulane.

Cornerbacks (15): Christian Gonzalez, Oregon; Devon Witherspoon, Illinois; Joey Porter, Penn State; Deonte Banks, Maryland; Emmanuel Forbes, Mississippi State; DJ Turner, Michigan; Cam Smith, South Carolina; Kelee Ringo, Georgia; Clark Phillips, Utah; Darius Rush, South Carolina; Josh Brents, Kansas State; Garrett Williams, Syracuse; Riley Moss, Iowa; Jakorian Bennett, Maryland; Tyrique Stevenson, Miami.

Safeties (6): Brian Branch, Alabama; Quay Martin, Illinois; Sydney Brown, Illinois; Antonio Johnson, Texas A&M; Jammie Robinson, Florida State; Ji’Ayir Brown, Penn State.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
McGinn scouts comments on best players in the draft (icup take notice)

For the running backs, this might be the unkindest cut of all.

Bijan Robinson of Texas was voted the best player in the draft by a panel of personnel people but there’s almost no chance he’ll be the first selection of the draft. In fact, his name might not be called among the opening 10 choices; there’s no telling how long his wait will be.

In the last month, I polled 18 scouts and asked them for their choice as the best player in the draft regardless of position. Here were the results:

BEST PLAYER IN THE DRAFT REGARDLESS OF POSITION
6: Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas.

4 ½: Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia.

3: Will Anderson, edge rusher, Alabama.

2 ½: Bryce Young, QB, Alabama.

1: C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State; Tyree Wilson, edge rusher, Texas Tech.

“He’s an absolute freak show,” an NFL personnel man said. “There is a lot of Edgerrin James to this player. Excellent lateral quickness and power. Balance through contact. Got hands. Top speed. Exceptional character. He’s a knock it out of the park kid.

“If you want a running back, he’s a top-10 pick. Top-5? Yeah, if you want him.”

Aside from the 1930s and 1940s, when passing was rather limited, the halcyon years for the position of running back was 1977-’81. In those five drafts, the No. 1 pick was a running back four times. Drafted No. 1 as so-called “franchise” backs were Ricky Bell by the Buccaneers in 1977, Earl Campbell by the Oilers in 1978, Billy Sims by the Lions in 1980 and George Rogers by the Commanders in 1981.

Since then, only two running backs have led off the draft: Bo Jackson by the Buccaneers in 1986 and Ki-Jana Carter by the Bengals in 1995.

Since Carter’s inglorious selection, there have been running backs drafted in the top 10 that made long, lasting impacts. That list includes Fred Taylor by the Jaguars in 1998, Edgerrin James by the Colts in 1999, Jamal Lewis by the Ravens in 2000, LaDainian Tomlinson by the Chargers in 2001, Adrian Peterson by the Vikings in 2007, Todd Gurley by the Rams in 2015 and Ezekiel Elliott by the Cowboys in 2016.

Since the 2018 draft, when Saquon Barkley went No. 2 to the Giants, the position has fallen almost off the map. Just four backs in the past four years have been drafted in the first round, none higher than the No. 24 selection. Increasingly, teams see backs as a dime a dozen, many of which are capable of perfectly capable performance almost regardless of draft status if their skills can be matched with the most suitable offensive scheme.

“I think Bijan Robinson is a top-5 pick but he probably won’t be because of the position,” said a veteran evaluator. “I still disagree. If you run the ball and play good defense, you win.”

At the same time, those 18 executives also were asked to name their favorite player in the draft. That is, what one player did they most love to watch, evaluate on tape or interview this year? Here were the results:

FAVORITE PLAYER TO SCOUT IN THE DRAFT
4: Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois.

3 ½: Bryce Young, QB, Alabama.

2 ½: Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas.

1: Stetson Bennett, QB, Georgia; Matt Bergeron, T, Syracuse; Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State; Daiyan Henley, LB, Washington State; Dawand Jones, T, Ohio State; Cody Mauch, G, North Dakota State; Peter Skoronski, G, Northwestern; C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State.

“If I had to characterize him I’d just put dog,” an AFC personnel man said in reference to Witherspoon. “He’s a stubborn player. Played press on the outside. Plays with confidence. Takes the ball away. Willing tackler to lay a hit. Has ideal makeup for corner. Fun to watch.”

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dane Brugler says:

26. Dallas Cowboys: Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah​

The Cowboys would be bummed to see Mayer drafted five picks earlier, but they would be elated if Kincaid is still available at this pick. Arguably the best pure pass catcher among the tight ends in this draft class, Kincaid would make the Cowboys’ offense more dynamic — which is exactly what Jerry Jones wants with this pick

Top Bottom