icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
mingo is growing on me as a real good pick in the 2nd round for sure, 1st feels like a reach

hes big, had a great senior bowl, RAC monster..

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
From McShay, several guys mentioned below that the Cowboys seem interested in.

What else I'm hearing​

- I've gotten a lot of different answers on this class' WR2 behind Ohio State's Jaxon Smith-Njigba (who is getting just about all of the love as WR1). I like Boston College's Zay Flowers and have him ranked No. 21 overall, and he's Mel Kiper Jr.'s second-best receiver, too. But just because we agree on something for once doesn't mean it's consensus. I've heard three names: Flowers, USC's Jordan Addison and TCU's Quentin Johnston. Based on my intel, all three could end up going in the Nos. 20-31 range, but there are only so many teams that need a receiver. Johnston might go higher than expected because this wide receiver class is on the smaller side, and he's a big-bodied pass-catcher at 6-foot-3, 208 pounds.

- Ole Miss receiver Jonathan Mingo is a hot name right now, and he's looking like a top-50 pick. I'd stop short of saying he's heading toward the first round, but I don't expect him to wait long Friday to hear his name.

- I keep hearing Hendon Hooker will get picked in the top 20. If Tennessee moves back -- maybe to No. 17 in a swap with the OL-needy Steelers -- that could be a team to watch. But Tampa Bay and Minnesota have been linked to him, as well.

- Speaking of Tampa Bay, everyone is trying to figure out its plan. The Buccaneers have been very quiet. There's some mystery around their approach, but some people have wondered if they'd be in on a quarterback if one drops.

- Scouts, coaches and execs have a lot to say about this tight end class. The deepest in a decade. The deepest in recent memory. In some cases, even the deepest ever. Everyone is amazed by not only the overall talent but also the variety. I have eight of them in my top 100, and while only two -- Utah's Dalton Kincaid and Notre Dame's Michael Mayer -- are likely to go in Round 1, I'd be pretty surprised if all eight aren't off the board by the end of Day 2.

- One big riser is TCU interior lineman Steve Avila. He could go late Round 1. At worst, he's probably off the board in the first 10 picks on Day 2. Teams love his versatility. He's a solid player.

- OK, want some Day 2 names getting buzz? Wisconsin defensive tackle Keeanu Benton, South Carolina defensive tackle Zacch Pickens, Texas A&M running back Devon Achane, NC State guard Chandler Zavala, Auburn running back Tank Bigsby and Texas linebacker DeMarvion Overshown were all mentioned to me. Penn State receiver Parker Washington could also go earlier than expected, and some teams might treat him as a third-down back in the pros thanks for his compact running style and ability with the ball in his hands.

- Three cornerbacks popped up in a lot in conversations as potential Day 2 values: Kansas State's Julius Brents (who could go in the late parts of Round 1), Minnesota's Terell Smith and Purdue's Cory Trice. They are all traits-heavy prospects with length, speed and press-coverage ability, and teams are always looking for those types of defensive backs.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Dont You Put That Evil On Me GIFs | Tenor

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This isnt terrible from Machota, but I like some of the other RB's a little better than Evans and I dont think Moody will be available in 7. I also doubt Bradford or Roy are avalable where he has us getting them, but I do like both guys for us. I hate the Duggan pick though.

While using the mock draft simulator at Pro Football Network, the Cowboys were offered an interesting trade when going on the clock at Pick 26 in the first round. The New Orleans Saints offered the 29th pick and their fourth-round pick (No. 115 overall) in exchange for Pick 26.

The best players available at the time were Clemson DE Myles Murphy, Notre Dame TE Michael Mayer, Clemson LB Trenton Simpson, Iowa State DE Will McDonald, Utah TE Dalton Kincaid, Pittsburgh DT Calijah Kancey, Boston College WR Zay Flowers, Tennessee WR Jalin Hyatt, Georgia TE Darnell Washington, Florida OG O’Cyrus Torrence, Arkansas LB Drew Sanders, Michigan DT Mazi Smith, Mississippi State CB Emmanuel Forbes and Alabama RB Jahmyr Gibbs.

With so much talent still available, we accepted the trade. Murphy, Simpson and Kancey were the next three picks.

1(29) Michael Mayer TE Notre Dame
2(58) Keion White DE Georgia Tech
3(90) Darius Rush CB South Carolina
4(115) Zach Evans RB Mississippi
4(129) Anthony Bradford G LSU
5(169) Jaquelin Roy DT LSU
6(212) Max Duggan QB TCU
7(244) Jake Moody K Michigan

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
lol odds of QB in round 1 are the same as special teams... sorry guys they believe in the guy they got

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
lol odds of QB in round 1 are the same as special teams... sorry guys they believe in the guy they got

Honestly they probably have no chance at any of the top QB's who'd even be worth considering in the 1st, so this isnt overly surprising.

That said, they SHOULD be considering it if they got lucky and someone fell in their laps (or even got close)

Signing Prescott to a mega new deal based on what we've seen these past two season would be out and out pure ignorance. Make him at least have a solid season and POSTSEASON success before considering it. And my "success" I mean nothing less than NFC Champ game run, and maybe not even that. Maybe make him get the team to the Super Bowl.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

CB is way down that list, but they've had quite a bit of interest in CB's and beyond the top-3 on depth chart the cupboard is pretty bare. They also have to get an extension done with Diggs and Gilmore is probably a 1yr rental.

Top Bottom