Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Dooms thinks that's a good non-call and even pointing it out makes you a complainer.

Bottom line is that this kind of stuff needs to get worked out. It certainly happens league wide but I don't think it's a coincidence that we get more flags than most teams several years running. Some of these calls are warranted but some are very subjective. If that's the game an official is going to call, he's got to call it both ways.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tyler Smith blocked two separate guys 5+ yds and 10+ yds downfield on this play.

I noticed that last night and just shook my head. You never know what you're going to get with some of these players but you have it to give it to the kid. His motor is non-stop. He'll give you all he has. That's an intangible that can't really be measured and I'm really liking the kid.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
These ae the ones that have to stop with him. He has too many of these completely baffling ones. Nobody is going to catch all of them 100% of the time but great ones can't miss these.

I was pissed when that happened but I also give Lamb credit for catching a huge (and tough) TD. That was a great catch and made up for the missed one, IMO. And the 4th and 4 catch after being destroyed once he caught it was huge. He held onto the ball and I was certain after that hit it would get knocked out. It's just about a wash for me.....

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dooms thinks that's a good non-call and even pointing it out makes you a complainer.

Bottom line is that this kind of stuff needs to get worked out. It certainly happens league wide but I don't think it's a coincidence that we get more flags than most teams several years running. Some of these calls are warranted but some are very subjective. If that's the game an official is going to call, he's got to call it both ways.
He is right about some of it, I have no doubt some of the lousy calls or noncalls are incompetence.

On the other hand, when you have guys in the middle of the field with nobody blocking a view and you see guys tackled or held up from releasing past 5 yds by two guys and don't make the call, that is NOT incompetence.

It's also not incompetence when week in and week out you see plenty of borderline or phantom offensive holding calls on our guys, but the other teams can hogtie or even tackle some of our guys and it isnt called. We have a great pass rush and somehow Tampa (despite playing a multitude of backups) had only one holding call, and in the past two games we completely overwhelmed the other teams OL and somehow there was only one holding call in those two games combined.

We do plenty of stupid shit which deserves calls, but there's also no question that something else was going on for a large part of that game on the ref side.

My firm belief is it's because of gambling and nobody is ever going to convince me otherwise. Week in and week out for decades the Cowboys games constantly draw the most gambling activity, so there is a TON of money involved.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I was pissed when that happened but I also give Lamb credit for catching a huge (and tough) TD. That was a great catch and made up for the missed one, IMO. And the 4th and 4 catch after being destroyed once he caught it was huge. He held onto the ball and I was certain after that hit it would get knocked out. It's just about a wash for me.....
I honestly thought the 4th and 4 play was one of the best catches of his career. He got jacked up right as the ball got there and held on for a HUGE play in that game.

That drive he genuinely looked like a goto #1 WR.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jerry is just a snake oil salesman. Cooper does not the have the makeup of a top QB. He lacks the arm to be that guy. But he's a good back-up and he's reliable. He knows and understands the offense, he doesn't get rattled (like Dak) and he can read a defense. He's also a good QB for a guy like Amari Cooper who runs precise routes and will be where he should be.

Let's not kid ourselves, Cooper Rush has been the beneficiary of a solid D, as well as a solid OL and run game. He won't carry your team but he plays good complimentary football. But he's not a franchise. Not even close.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If you don't stop pointing out the obvious....someone might call you nasty names, even though he agrees with you and been saying it for 30 years.
this post will result in many keystrokes mashed unnecessarily but relentlessly like a dog on a bone

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Weird how Rush is much better in the reg season compared to the pre-season, when he's going against backups. Oh, and shut up Jerry. You guys gave Grier basically the entire Chargers game in the hopes that he would show something and take Cooper's job.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Weird how Rush is much better in the reg season compared to the pre-season, when he's going against backups. Oh, and shut up Jerry. You guys gave Grier basically the entire Chargers game in the hopes that he would show something and take Cooper's job.
It is bizarre, because he was about as ho-hum as it got not just during the games but by many accounts during training camp practices too.

And Grier was awful. I remember questioning whether The Nooch was better as the backup than these other two.

Only two games (three if you count Minny last yr) but clearly Rush is playing pretty decent. Last week I thought he had a number of bad throws even though he played ok, but last night he was pretty good and would have had a really great game if not for the drops and a couple of penalties. He looks really comfortable, stays in the pocket and IMO one of the best things he is doing is trying to get the ball downfield.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If not for the stupid penalty by Joseph, D Armstrong would have the same number of sacks after 3 games as Von Miller and Randy Gregory combined (they've got 4).

As it is he has 3.

Von Miller, 6 yrs 120 million, 51 million total guaranteed
Randy Gregory, 5yrs, 70 million, 28 million guaranteed
Dorance Armstrong, 2yrs, 12 million with 6 million guaranteed

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This is crazy.

Hey but somehow, that star studded Giants OL managed only one holding call all game.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Steele and Smith have been helpful and a breath of fresh air.
We have Steele and Smith both for a fraction of the cost that the Bengals signed Lael Collins for, and both guys are better players today.

Top Bottom