Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good stuff dbair....thanks for posting. This feels like a boom or bust draft but if anyone can bring the best out of Sam Williams, it's Dan Quinn. He's going to have a lot of toys to play with and if just a couple of these guys pan out on D, especially Ridgeway, the D could be special. If this kid could put on some weight and get stronger, he can be an anchor on the line which we sorely need.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Bob McGinn scouts notes on some of the guys we drafted. These are taken pre-draft.

5. TYLER SMITH, Tulsa (6-4 ½, 327, 5.04, 1-2): Another third-year sophomore. Started two of four games as a true freshman before redshirting. “Natural left tackle,” said one scout. ”This guy can pull and trap. Great technician. He can bend his knees and move his feet and slide. He was 21 on April 3. At the second level he was totally amazing. About as tough a guy as I saw. I don’t know how Tulsa got him. Only thing I didn’t like: he wants to hurt people. Sometimes when they do that, they get holding penalties (12 in 2021). He just smashes guys down and officials call a hold.” His high school in Fort Worth was small and fielded losing teams, reducing his exposure and college offers. “When you have the toughness he plays with and his makeup, there’s not an offensive line coach that would not want to work with him,” said a second scout. “He might have more upside than all these guys. You’re getting a really good athlete that can play guard or tackle. He’s long (34 arms). He’s a violent player. It’s hard for those guys to fail, but he has to clean up a lot of stuff from a fundamental standpoint. If you moved him to defense you’d be talking about a high-end nose tackle.” Made 21 starts at LT. Wonderlic of 30. “He’s a left tackle but I thought he was a long, long ways away,” said a third scout. “He’s just so out of control and so raw. Just sloppy. The big guy tries but the technique’s way off. He lunges, he’s top-heavy. I don’t see the top athletic ability that some others may see.”

-

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE
Sam Williams, Mississippi:
Has been charged with sexual battery on two different occasions but each time charges were dropped. The university suspended him for two months in summer 2020 after one of the arrests. In high school, he was kicked out of school for an incident in which a knife was involved. Williams (6-3 ½, 258, 4.56) scored 21 on the Wonderlic and had 12 ½ sacks in ’21, including an impressive performance against Alabama LT Evan Neal. One team removed him from its draft board. “He’s got second- or third-round ability,” said one scout. “But he has the worst intangibles ever.”

13. JALEN TOLBERT, South Alabama (6-1, 193, 4.52, 3): Suffered a knee injury as a freshman in 2017 and redshirted. Played four seasons, starting the final three. “Baseball player,” said one scout. “Went there to play both. Then he hurt his knee and focused on football. He’s a good fit for this West Coast offense all these teams are running because he is very versatile. He makes plays. You cannot discount this kid’s playmaking ability. Second round is a little rich, but people will be all over him in the third. He’s sturdier than the top guys. He’ll be close to 200 (pounds). Little more rocked-up than those other guys. I like him as an underneath guy and I think he runs good enough to get over the top.” Finished with 178 receptions for 3,140 (17.6) and 22 TDs. Wonderlic of 27. “He’s got really good hands but he had too many concentration drops,” another scout said. “He tries to run too much before the catch. He’s basically their entire offense. He is talented.” From Mobile, Ala.

-

5. DAMONE CLARK, Louisiana State (6-2 ½, 239, 4.60, 3-7): After backing up Devin White in 2018 and Patrick Queen in ’19, he started in the middle the past two years. “Big, long-armed (33), athletic and fast,” said one scout. “His instincts are a touch off. They were off two years ago and improved since then. Very productive; he was a bright light in a dark room at LSU this past season. As the season sunk he just kept playing and got better. Reluctantly, he could do it (wear the green dot).” At the combine, one of the Cowboys’ team doctors diagnosed him with a herniated cervical disc. On March 24, he underwent a fusion through the front of his neck and won’t play in 2022. “There’s no way he goes first- or second-round now,” the scout said. “He’s going to sink like a rock.” Finished with 249 tackles (23 ½ for loss) and 10 sacks. “He was the No. 1 (linebacker),” said a second scout. “Not as talented as Devin White but he was all over the place. Just makes plays. Explosive as hell. He can cover and blitz. He’s a Pro Bowl linebacker. He’ll stack. Strikes people. They man him up a lot. He was amazing.” Wonderlic was 9. “Good man (cover) on running backs,” said a third scout. “Inconsistent tackler in space more due to technique than skill. Can have delayed reactions at times. Probably can play all three positions but you might be a little hesitant to put him at Mike based on the mental. Very talented. He’ll start.” From Baton Rouge, La. “I guess you could draft him late or sign him as a college free agent and pay him for the year and see how the surgery goes,” a fourth scout said. “Just redshirt him. But a linebacker with a fused neck? I don’t know.”

-

11. JOHN RIDGEWAY, Arkansas (6-5, 320, 5.46, 4): Redshirted at FCS Illinois State in 2017 before starting for three years. Made a graduate transfer to the SEC and started 11 games in ’21. “Converted (high school) offensive lineman,” said one scout. “Greatest thing he did was display his power and strength at the Senior Bowl. He’s going to be like Dean Lowry.” Finished with 102 tackles (eight for loss) and one sack for the Redbirds and 39 tackles (four for loss) and two sacks for the Razorbacks. “I like that guy,” a third scout said. “I really like the makeup. More run stopper than pass rusher. He didn’t run well but he’s not a slug. He moves better than his 40 time would indicate. He has really good make-it potential based on who he is.” Arms were 33 3/8. From Bloomington, Ill., where he was a state champion wrestler.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Just putting this up for everyone to review. I don't know who most of these so-called "draft experts" are but it's a large sample. Two or three of the ones I think are the absolute best arn't on this, but its worth looking over.

Basically the verdict is we have a C to C+ type draft, which is what I would give it if I had to give a "grade". There were no splashy moves, nothing overly aggressive and they drafted at the end of every round. Like all drafts, it'll be 2-3 yrs in all likelihood before we know anything for certain.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Brain Baldinger usually has good film breakdowns. Here he takes a close look at Sam Williams.

The guy he throws to the ground for LSU is LG Ed Ingram (6'3, about 315 and just chosen in the 2nd rd). Then he has a couple clips vs Mississippi State's top-10 pick LT Charles Cross.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I seen it posted on twitter but cant find it

but DAL’s 1st round pick tyler smith looks like a fat amari cooper

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Our potential new kicker. Last yr missed only one FG and none under 50 yards. Kicked just two years but was 23/27 on FG's. Of course this is the one he is known for last yr, longest FG ever to win a college game in final minute, 62 yards.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I seen it posted on twitter but cant find it

but DAL’s 1st round pick tyler smith looks like a fat amari cooper
Damnit icup, you just had to go there didn't you?

Now BB is going to hate the guy.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I regret to inform you that we're finishing third next year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I regret to inform you that we're finishing third next year.

Obviously every year is different and there hasn't been a repeat winner in this division in a L O N G time.

That said, unless we have a rash of injuries like 2020 and lose our QB again too, I just don't see it. We are ALOT better than the other 3 teams in this division, and whether people love him, hate him or somewhere in between there is no disputing that Prescott is the best QB in this division.

Yeah, the other teams probably all got better, but they also had a pretty big talent disparity to make up.

Its a big year for them though. Whether they win the division or not, if they don't win a playoff game or two this coaching staff is 100% toast and I suspect quite a few current high-priced guys won't be on the roster in 2023.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dane Brugler comments/rating of our draft.

Dane ranks the draft classes. He's got the Eagles 5th, Giants 12th and the Foreskins21st.

16. Dallas Cowboys

1 (24) Tyler Smith, OT/G, Tulsa
2 (56) Sam Williams, Edge, Ole Miss
3 (88) Jalen Tolbert, WR, South Alabama
4 (129) Jake Ferguson, TE, Wisconsin
5 (155) Matt Waletzko, OT, North Dakota
5 (167) DaRon Bland, CB, Fresno State
5 (176) Damone Clark, LB, LSU
5 (178) John Ridgeway, DT, Arkansas
6 (193) Devin Harper, LB, Oklahoma State

Favorite pick: Jalen Tolbert, WR, South Alabama

Tolbert fell almost a full round later than where I had him ranked and goes to a Cowboys offense where he could make an immediate impact. Though he doesn’t have elite breakaway speed, he has terrific tracking and adjustment skills to be a playmaker, not too dissimilar from Michael Gallup, another third-rounder of the Cowboys a few years back.

Day 3 pick who could surprise: John Ridgeway, NT, Arkansas

After four years at the FCS level, Ridgeway transferred to the SEC for the 2021 season and played at a high level vs. the run. A former high school champion wrestler, he is burly, long and strong with the base power to stand up double teams and be a dependable early-down player — exactly what the Cowboys needed on their defensive line.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Tulsa HC Talks Penalties, Portal & More On T. Smith​

May 02, 2022 at 02:00 PM
18-Eatman_Nick-HS

Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer / Senior Manager, Digital Media

FRISCO, Texas Tulsa head coach Philip Montgomery is biased, and doesn't try to hide it.

Watching one of his best players from last season get drafted in the first round by the Cowboys was a great moment for him personally, along with the school, which produced its first first-round pick in 37 years.

So when the narrative on Tyler Smith pivots from being drafted in the first round to the excessive holding penalties he endured last year, Montgomery is quick to defend his player. In fact, the head coach said Smith's brute strength is what leads to many of those penalties.

"Nah, I think he'll be fine in that regard," Montgomery said of the penalties. "I will say this, and I'm a little biased so I'm going to throw this part in there ... Tyler plays so physical that at times, he got some penalties called against him that weren't penalties. (The refs) saw somebody on the ground and they were like, "well, something must have happened so I just threw a flag there.' He was that dominant and that physical of a guy."

Montgomery leads a Tulsa offense that is one of the fastest-paced teams in the country. He pointed out that while most guards in this draft average anywhere from 700-750 snaps in a season, Smith played 915, suggested that more reps will lead to a higher number of penalties.

But Montgomery did admit that Smith had some technique issues earlier in his career, that led to a few more holding calls. But he's adamant that if Smith sticks to his technique and relies on his strength, he can be a dominant player.
"His hands got wide (at times) ... once he gets his hands back inside and corrects some of those technical things, he can be a beast," Montgomery said. "Once he gets a hold of you, you're not going anywhere. He can be out of position, he is so damn strong that he can pull himself and you back into a position where he's back where he's needs to be."

Montgomery also talked about his conversations with Smith, who was debating whether to return to Tulsa or enter the draft. He also had some options to enter the transfer portal and go to other schools, including a few that are regularly contending for national championships.

"Yeah there were teams out there contacting him that were trying to get him to jump away from us," Montgomery said. "He and I visited about that, it came down to – he was either going to come back and play or take his shot in the league. I'll be honest, I was telling him to come back to school because I was telling him that he would be the No. 1 tackle taken in next year's draft. I truly believe that. Clean up some of the technical stuff and I think that's what he would do. But it went down to the wire."

Obviously, we know the decision Smith made. And now, he joins the Cowboys, perhaps as the starting left guard, but with a chance to eventually get back to tackle.

"I think, starting him off inside, getting some experience in there, it'll give them some immediate help," He said. "He's so strong so athletic, when he locks on people, it's done. But I think it gives him an opportunity to mature a little bit more. I think he'll slide out there to tackle and be one of the best there is."

Top Bottom