bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Didn't seem like a violent twisting of the knee at all. We weren't going to the SB with him, so I'm not crying my eyes out.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
DAL leads the league in penalties this year and they're committing way more penalties this year then in year's past. in context, DAL has not been top 10 in penalties since 2012.

the biggest problems have been on the OL and defense. 1st in holding penalties and 2nd in unnecessary roughness.

Do you have a link Cup? I'm not sure this is accurate. But just going by memory though.....

Last edited:

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Know what this is?

2006- 12th
2007- 29th
2008- 30th
2009- 32nd
2010- 5th
2011- 1st
2012- 10th
2013- 7th
2014- 8th
2015- 11th
2016- 6th
2017- 9th
2018- 14th

If I'm reading it correctly, we went from the 32nd most penalized team in 2009 to the 5th most penalized team in 2010? Just when we changed HC's to the Red Dolt?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If I'm reading it correctly, we went from the 32nd most penalized team in 2009 to the 5th most penalized team in 2010? Just when we changed HC's to the Red Dolt?

Actually that is the year to year rankings of Mike McCarthy's Green Bay team in number of penalties. For ex- in 2009 Green Bay had the most penalties in the league that year.

But for the 9 seasons after that, they ranked near the top of the league in fewest penalties every yr.

But that same coach which apparently was able to teach playing fairly disciplined ball in GB almost every season, comes to Dallas and see his teams rank 25th (last yr) and dead last this year. I guess he forgot how to coach.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
but I strongly doubt its true

of course you dont but riddle me this, how does Dallas get penalized more than other teams if the referees aren't in cahoots to call more on Dallas and if its not a grand conspiracy directed Goodell, et al?

Its my opinion that referees are human, the speed of the game is unreal, they dont get the benefit of slow motion and rewind like we do on TV and they have to make calls quickly as they happen so mistakes are going to happen all the time for all teams and thats not an opinion, thats an easily verifiable fact.

The question is whether Dallas really is an outlier in net overall penalties called on them and if so, what is the cause?

fans will say the fix is in, I think if Dallas is an outlier, its for more innocuous & random reasons but I am open to the assertion a subtle form of bias may exist among referees where their fandom enters into their decision making. So if they have a deep seeded hate against a certain team, an unconscious bias may cause them to call more penalties on that team and less on their opponent. Since Dallas is Americas team and hated by many, I could imagine this being a cause for some penalties called against them that might cause them to be more penalized than other teams but thats a very difficult thing to prove

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Didn't seem like a violent twisting of the knee at all. We weren't going to the SB with him, so I'm not crying my eyes out.
Yeah it seemed pretty benign when it happened. Really sux for him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
of course you dont but riddle me this, how does Dallas get penalized more than other teams if the referees aren't in cahoots to call more on Dallas and if its not a grand conspiracy directed Goodell, et al?

Its my opinion that referees are human, the speed of the game is unreal, they dont get the benefit of slow motion and rewind like we do on TV and they have to make calls quickly as they happen so mistakes are going to happen all the time for all teams and thats not an opinion, thats an easily verifiable fact.

The question is whether Dallas really is an outlier in net overall penalties called on them and if so, what is the cause?

fans will say the fix is in, I think if Dallas is an outlier, its for more innocuous & random reasons but I am open to the assertion a subtle form of bias may exist among referees where their fandom enters into their decision making. So if they have a deep seeded hate against a certain team, an unconscious bias may cause them to call more penalties on that team and less on their opponent. Since Dallas is Americas team and hated by many, I could imagine this being a cause for some penalties called against them that might cause them to be more penalized than other teams but thats a very difficult thing to prove
Again, your think I am saying the fix is in because its a conspiracy against Dallas.

I said I don't think it really is, I think gambling has more to do with it. That's also hw you explain so much bad officiating all around the league.

I bet Goodell and the league office are aware of it, but there will never be any type of public investigation because of the extreme backlash from fans and advertisers if this ever got out.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
DMN speaks the truth

For anybody who still thinks the Cowboys have an elite offensive line, they should reconsider.

It’s not.

Zack Martin is the only elite player. Tyron Smith remains really good, but injuries have robbed him of his greatness. Smith has missed five games this season and 31 over the past six seasons.

Williams and Tyler Biadasz are average and, for the most part, so is Collins.

They created no movement at the line of scrimmage against Arizona, and everyone but Martin was penalized at least once.

Most of the problems on offense can be traced back to the offensive line whether it’s the lack of a running game or Prescott being pressured so often it’s hard to consistently attack deep.

If the offensive line doesn’t play much better, the Cowboys will have a short playoff run. Guaranteed.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
DMN speaks the truth
Yeah its painfully obvious except for some that seem to think its all because Zeke sux or the WR's are overrated or Dak cant do anything.

I'm not even sure of Martin is really "elite" anymore, he is still really good but he is not what he was either.

Tyron was playing great even after the first ankle thing. He did look rusty/hobbled yesterday though so hopefully he bounces back next week. The one encouraging thing with him is it was always the neck/back stuff that kept him out in previous years and by all accounts he has had no problems this year, indicating the surgery he had was a success.

The other 3 are all guys that need to be upgraded, either that or have a new OL coach come in with a new system/blocking scheme because whatever Philbin and Moore are trying to get these guys to do isnt working.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
I think it was 2011 when Philly came into Dallas winners of like 7 or 8 in a row and we beat their asses then turned around and beat their asses again in the playoffs. Philly was pretenders, having beat no one and we were the better team. While I think we are better than Philly this year. I still think we are the 2011 Eagles in that we have beat no one of value. We are not as good as our record indicates and yesterday proved it. The online brought me back to the days of Cory Proctor and this off-season we have GOT to fix that. The defense, while good, cannot win a game against a good team alone. Dak has been playing exactly how he was drafted the past 2 months and I think he needs a shrink because he has the yips.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Here is my take on the penalties

It’s fucking 2022! We have instant replay. This SHIT should NOT be happening anymore. No in this day and age with the technology already in use.

We as fans at home get to see every single play replayed on instant replay within just a couple seconds after it happens. We as fans at home can tell in an instant if they got the call right or not (about 8 or 9 out of 10 times)

The league already has the ability to recheck every single call within just seconds. It wouldn’t slow the game down for the tv audience since they are already replaying it for us at home. While that is happening they could have an appointed league official look at each call while we at home are seeing it again. Then they can make a ruling which can be received instantly by the ref on the field.

We should not be dealing with bad calls anymore with the technology we already have in place.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Not a big surprise but its' official, Gallup done.

He'll be missed going forward. Really hope we can find a way to keep him as I think he is a really quality player, maybe the injuries stop someone from giving him a huge deal in offseason and hopefully he'll stay another year.

I would love it if they found a way, he is a vastly underrated part of this offense. I'm just not sure it'll happen, though. ACL injuries aren't as long an absence as they used to be. I think it's going to all depend on how good of a team wants him and if it's bad enough to be paying him big time to miss a half a season or more.

Top Bottom