Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, we all know, and can plainly see that our defense is bad. Not just normal bad, but historically, and on pace to be the worst defense in NFL History type bad.

What are our real options to fix this shit show? We have already simplified the D to make easier for our guys to react instead of having to think on each play. So what is our realistic game plan moving forward?

Replace Nolan?
Bring in someone new and install a new defense?
Revert back to the scheme that our players know?
Tank for Trevor Lawrence?

How would you fix our defense?

You can't revert back to the old scheme. Why would we do that? That scheme sucked as well. Players need to learn the scheme and if they can't, they need to be benched. There has to be accountability. If players are reverting to the old scheme and bypassing their coaching staff, that's a bigger issue than the scheme, IMO.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
fceb8676ac5f0d8cfc55e56a79c752b4.jpg

Ain’t no team in the NFC East deserves a home playoff game!

they deserve relegation

NFL should create a second tier league and copy the premier league, etc and MAYBE jeri would prioritize winning over his ego & comfort (but probably not)

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Easy to misinterpret lack of hustle, lack of effort, with confusion. These defenders are CONFUSED. Confused by this idiot system they're being forced to run. Confused by the 1200 page playbook. Hesitant and timid trying to THINK instead of PLAY.

I agree 100%. There is talent on the defense they just have no effing clue what they’re supposed to be doing or where they’re supposed to be going. They look lost out there. I’ve been saying that since game 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Number1

Practice Squad
Reaction score

Troy Aikman on defense's effort vs. CLE: "To me, I’d be embarrassed as a player to put that kind of performance on film."

almost makes you miss Jason, at least hustle was job one - but then MM might have done the same with a camp

I was never a JG fan, few people are. I never would have hired him, not aggressive nor intense enough. Still - don't fire a coach if his team hustles, you can figure out scheme and game management
* but fielding a motivated team has to come first *

league min is near $600k for UDFAs ... hustle is expected

maybe this is a Nolan thing on D. It's so bad I can't even speak on Nolan's "hybrid". so far we have not seen the scheme, whatever it may be executed, because they players are just wandering around. that's unprofessional

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Only the Cowboys could have the #1 rated offense and the #32 rated defense at the same time

And what does that combo get you? 0-4 if not for a lucky onside kick which magically allowed us to be 1-4.

So what was that old saying again?

What wins championships?

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree 100%. There is talent on the defense they just have no effing clue what they’re supposed to be doing or where they’re supposed to be going. They look lost out there. I’ve been saying that since game 1.

You sound like Dbair. The talent is really thin. It's not thin enough that we should be seeing what we're seeing but please don't tell me Crawford, the Gimp, Lewis and the rest of the bunch are some overly talented players. They shouldn't be this bad but the D is devoid of some serious talent, thanks to bad drafts.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
You sound like Dbair. The talent is really thin. It's not thin enough that we should be seeing what we're seeing but please don't tell me Crawford, the Gimp, Lewis and the rest of the bunch are some overly talented players. They shouldn't be this bad but the D is devoid of some serious talent, thanks to bad drafts.

I actually still think if you put Jalen in the right defense he wouldn’t be anywhere near as bad as he’s playing now. Is he an All Pro? Absolutely not, he’s not completely devoid of talent though. LVE is talented (just can’t stay healthy). Aldon Smith has talent, Trystan Hill has talent, and agree or not but Lawrence has talent (health and desire are his issues). In the secondary, honestly the only guy I’d keep is Diggs.

I would not expect this group to be #1 in defense with good coaching but they would be a lot better than what they’re showing now.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Everyone looks lost out there. That’s all Nolan and MM for not having the guys ready to play. They look like they have no clue who has what defensive assignment.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I actually still think if you put Jalen in the right defense he wouldn’t be anywhere near as bad as he’s playing now. Is he an All Pro? Absolutely not, he’s not completely devoid of talent though. LVE is talented (just can’t stay healthy). Aldon Smith has talent, Trystan Hill has talent, and agree or not but Lawrence has talent (health and desire are his issues). In the secondary, honestly the only guy I’d keep is Diggs.

I would not expect this group to be #1 in defense with good coaching but they would be a lot better than what they’re showing now.

We have overall, I'd say slightly below average defensive talent and utility compared to the rest of the league. But no way does it by itself add up to what we're seeing on the field.

This scheme has them playing scared because it's designed with a scared philosophy - scared to attack, scared to commit, scared to have any core values. It's a cowardly, overly timid approach overall.

Nolan has no core values or core philosophy. He doesn't know you can't have chemistry without those. So, you get what we're seeing.

Number1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
How would you fix our defense?

dumb it down, and up the energy

get the youngsters on the field, Anae, Gallimore, Bernard, Gifford, and Robinson (especially Robinson)
it's a young man's game - play them with orders to be intense above all else

forget all the pre-snap deceptions it works against you when not executed well, man up

keep it simple and go hard, be aggressive

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
dumb it down, and up the energy

get the youngsters on the field, Anae, Gallimore, Bernard, Gifford, and Robinson (especially Robinson)
it's a young man's game - play them with orders to be intense above all else

forget all the pre-snap deceptions it works against you when not executed well, man up

keep it simple and go hard, be aggressive
yes, drop the snap counts of some of the established guys or even bench them? what do the coaches have to lose now? fuck it

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Jaylon plays scared. When he blitzes he just runs into someone and is careful not to get rolled over on. It's understandable considering his knee. He doesn't want to cut, take certain angles, or get mixed up in the scrum. I think some of it is just the Garrett mentality for some of these pampered players. They don't fear for their starting position or job. When you have multiple analysts tell you they lack effort and hustle, that's very telling.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We have overall, I'd say slightly below average defensive talent and utility compared to the rest of the league. But no way does it by itself add up to what we're seeing on the field.

This scheme has them playing scared because it's designed with a scared philosophy - scared to attack, scared to commit, scared to have any core values. It's a cowardly, overly timid approach overall.

Nolan has no core values or core philosophy. He doesn't know you can't have chemistry without those. So, you get what we're seeing.

What would these guys do with a mad scientist like Belichick? The guy designs a different game plan every week. He takes no name players and they play within a scheme. He'll line up 3-4 or 4-3 to try to take a way what the opposing offense does well. I don't buy the argument the scheme is too complicated. Landry ran a complicated scheme and he thought the scheme was so good you could plug and play.

Number1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
You can't revert back to the old scheme. Why would we do that? That scheme sucked as well. Players need to learn the scheme and if they can't, they need to be benched. There has to be accountability.

I get your point on accountability, but a coach who can't teach their scheme to NFL players is a major road block

we all knew the first half of the season would be an adventure on D, but this has gone clown show through 4 games

note, if a scheme don't make sense, it will be hard to teach, and impossible to implement well

Top Bottom