MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I can believe this, supposed to be a 3rd down change of pace back. Where did you hear or read this?

I heard it on the Fan. They’ve been talking for a while about word around the Star is the Cowboys will take a RB in this draft and that Trayveon Williams is a guy they like. Most of it is just them speculating though. They’ve been talking about they would not be surprised if they take a RB higher than anyone expects them to.

Obviously they could use an upgrade at Safety, TE, and DT but across the board they are pretty solid. Would they be better off taking a definite backup at one of those spots or would they be better off drafting a starting caliber RB (more in the Kamara mold) that could compliment Zeke and be another weapon for Dak? If you are going to invest an ass ton of money in Dak wouldn’t it be best to make sure he has a ton of weapons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
One week till D Day, although it's really 8 days for us it appears.

Our picks:

2nd (58)
3rd (90)
4th (128)
4th (136) Comp
5th (165)
7th (241)

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
My first attempt with First-pick.com. Made one minor trade to get a 6th and 7th from Pitt for my 5th.

Your score is: 28975 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:

Round 2 Pick 26: Juan Thornhill, SS, Virginia (A)
Round 3 Pick 26: Khalen Saunders, DT, Western Illinois (A+)
Round 4 Pick 26: Dawson Knox, TE, Ole Miss (A+)
Round 4 Pick 34 (COMP): Trayveon Williams, RB, Texas A&M (A+)
Round 6 Pick 2 (PITT): John Cominsky, DE, University of Charleston (A+)
Round 7 Pick 5 (PITT): Jalen Hurd, WR, Baylor (A+)
Round 7 Pick 27: Jordan Brown, CB, South Dakota State (A+)

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
My first attempt with First-pick.com. Made one minor trade to get a 6th and 7th from Pitt for my 5th.

Your Picks:

Good job, good effort. Only critique is I dont see Know falling to 4th.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Your Picks:

I agree, good job. The Hurd pick in the 5th would be really interesting. He has great size and being a converted RB you would think that his ability to make cuts and get in and out of his breaks would be pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don’t know if anyone else has posted it but here is this years dummy award listings

453ff97eaf3759ce4c92f0aa941d9a1a.jpg

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Check out The Fan's Mike Fisher's Dallas Cowboys NFL Draft info nuggets.

1) I don't know that the rest of the NFL entered today knowing exactly what the Cardinals are going to do at No. 1 overall, with QB Kyler Murray available and QB Josh Rosen on the roster. I just know the poison that can seep into a building when a team keeps two high-pick QB kids around at the same time. Right, Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh?

2) Dallas is looking for a "plug-and-play starter'' with its first pick. But how do the Cowboys accomplish that when a) they have a deep and talented roster and b) they don't draft until No. 58 overall?

3) Once upon a time, you might assume a Jerry Jones trade-up. After all, in 20 of his first 26 NFL seasons, Mr. Jones didn't end up drafting in his original first-round spot. Wow. But more recently -- as Will McClay "fundamentals'' have taken hold in the building -- there is a stand-pat mentality. The Cowboys this year are not possessive of a Round 1 pick, are not inclined to go get one, and can let this draft "come to them'' at 58. ... With COO Stephen Jones noting that it took an "Act of Congress'' to get management to move this year's No. 1 for Amari Cooper.

4) Dallas is picking a good year to not have a No. 1, and picking a good year to want a safety at 58. Scouting guru Gil Brandt terms this the "best and deepest'' safety class of his lifetime. I assume the Cowboys love Nasir Adderly (but he'll go in the first round) while hoping either Taylor Rapp or Juan Thornhill slip toward them at 58.

5) One guy on defense the Cowboys really like -- and have for a long time -- but who I cannot pinpoint where they have him on their Big Board -- is Boston College defense end Zack Allen.

6) One guy on offense the Cowboys really like -- and this might be a more recent development -- is tight end Jace ... of Texas A&M. If he's in a Cowboys uniform, he immediately becomes the best athlete in the tight ends room, the best downfield receiving threat, the best example of the more modern tight-end-is-a-big-receiver profile. But in part because Dallas so many existing tight ends (including Jason Witten), I can't quite figure out where Dallas would pencil Jace in as a draftee.

7) If the bulk of the safeties are gone (I suggest not putting Alabama's Deionte Thompson on Dallas' wish list) but EDGE Jachai Polite is still there at 58? I believe Dallas bites the bullet on any red flags and turns that card in.

8) The Cowboys are openly interested in a complete back who would be able to fill in should Ezekiel Elliott miss time -- and maybe even serve as Zeke's heir. Alabama's Damien Harris is in play at 58, with Trayveon Williams of Texas A&M and David Montgomery from Iowa State in play after that.

9) The Cowboys are "looking around the corner'' at defensive tackle, with next year possibly the time to turn the financial page on Tyrone Crawford and maybe even on Maliek Collins.

10) Pick 90 in the third round used for Central Florida defensive tackle T
rysten Hill would fit that "look.''

11) Despite reports to the contrary, I do not believe Dallas sees Miami defensive tackle George Willis III as fitting that "look.''
12) Much has been made of defensive assistant Kris Richard’s "physical prototypes'' for cornerbacks. (Height and length.) Less ballyhooed is that Kris Richard has thoughts on other defensive positions, too, as does Will McClay -- and that in most respects, their prototypes are the same.

13) Much has been made of defensive assistant Kris Richard’s "physical prototypes'' for cornerbacks. (Height and length.) Less ballyhooed is that Richard has thoughts on other defensive positions, too, as does Will McClay -- and that in most respects, their prototypes are the same.

14) There is no way it can happen but Dallas is madly in love with Houston defensive tackle Ed Oliver, who is a top-10 pick.

15) There is almost no way it can happen, but Dallas will get the itch if defensive tackle Jeffery Simmons from Mississippi State -- with a behavioral red flag and a recently injured knee -- starts to fall from out of the late first round. Jerry will want to discuss "wild-cattin' in Round 2'' with his lieutenants.

16) Taylor Rapp, the Washington safety, ran a bad 40 time. That might actually help Dallas, because in the view of the Cowboys scouts and coaches, he is very much "RKG'' (Right Kind of Guy) and very much a system fit.

*Listen to NFL Draft coverage on 105.3 The Fan, online at 1053TheFan.com and on the Radio.com app.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
1) I don't know that the rest of the NFL entered today knowing exactly what the Cardinals are going to do at No. 1 overall, with QB Kyler Murray available and QB Josh Rosen on the roster. I just know the poison that can seep into a building when a team keeps two high-pick QB kids around at the same time. Right, Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh?
im not gonna dig back into this thread but i posted about the success rate of sports talking heads/draft gurus/etc.

the most successful is a beat guy with the cardinals. he said a long time ago that the cardinals are taking bosa #1. i believe him and all this murray talk is smoke and mirrors from a video of kingsbury talking about drafting murray #1 overall if he had the chance. KK was complimenting murray and didnt see it coming to fruition. maybe if KK had signed with another organization who didn't just draft rosen the year before.

3) Once upon a time, you might assume a Jerry Jones trade-up. After all, in 20 of his first 26 NFL seasons, Mr. Jones didn't end up drafting in his original first-round spot. Wow. But more recently -- as Will McClay "fundamentals'' have taken hold in the building -- there is a stand-pat mentality. The Cowboys this year are not possessive of a Round 1 pick, are not inclined to go get one, and can let this draft "come to them'' at 58. ... With COO Stephen Jones noting that it took an "Act of Congress'' to get management to move this year's No. 1 for Amari Cooper.
good

8) The Cowboys are openly interested in a complete back who would be able to fill in should Ezekiel Elliott miss time -- and maybe even serve as Zeke's heir. Alabama's Damien Harris is in play at 58, with Trayveon Williams of Texas A&M and David Montgomery from Iowa State in play after that.
ya good idea, let's draft a BACKUP RB w/ our 2nd round pick. that'll help dallas beat the rams.

14) There is no way it can happen but Dallas is madly in love with Houston defensive tackle Ed Oliver, who is a top-10 pick.
youd give up a shit ton but i'm 100% in on building a nightmare DL in dallas so i can't blame them for trying

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
i
Dallas Cowboys
Cowboys will pick an RB to back up Elliott
The Cowboys will pick a running back in the draft, but it won't come in the second round. One of the holes Dallas has not filled in the offseason is finding a backup to Ezekiel Elliott. The Cowboys had three running backs to The Star on national visits, with Alabama's Damien Harris the highest-rated. But with Elliott expected to get almost all of the significant work, using a second-round pick on a runner would not be the most economical use of the team's top pick. From the third round on, however, a runner is more palatable, and two names to keep an eye on are Texas A&M's Trayveon Williams and Ohio State's Mike Weber. -- Todd Archer

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
youd give up a shit ton but i'm 100% in on building a nightmare DL in dallas so i can't blame them for trying

I'm with you on this one. But what does it typically cost to move from 58 into the top 10? I don't think Dallas could do it with picks alone. I don't see a way to get there without giving up multiple players and decimating the rest of this year's draft and the better part of the next year's. Is it worth it for one player?

Top Bottom