NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Someone who didn't know better could read some of the commentary here and conclude we were actually 3-13 and a total train wreck this year.

But anybody that follows this team and has a clue knows that this year's record is in spite of Garrett, not because of Garrett. Dak falling into our laps and playing like he has was blind luck. Oh sure they scouted and asked a lot of questions but taking him with the 135th pick means they didnt know what they were really getting. When you look at Garrett's track record with QB's its quite obvious that Garrett isnt the reason for Dak's success. We can only hope that Garrett doesnt screw him up over time. And getting Zeke was nothing more than a result of coaching failure and incompetence last year.

Think about where this team would have been the last 6 years if we actually had a decent coach. Would a good coach have folded like a cheap lawn chair last year when Romo was out? Would a good coach have failed to win the division those three 8-8 years?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Garrett is worse than Jerry IMO. My dislike for Garrett is stronger. And you are right neither deserves a Super Bowl win. I'll take one in spite of those guys anyway. Seeing Garrett act as if he had anything to do with it will take away some of the enjoyment but we're stuck with the clapping ginger puppet just like we are with Jerry.

I concur. Despite him still being the face of the team, and always has his face in the camera, I do not mind Jerry pretending that he's some kind of genius, so long as others overrule him. I do not even mind Garrett pretending to be an HC. It's when he actually gets involved and things go to shit that pisses me off. I used to get mad when he would just stand on the sidelines and clap, but now I prefer that he would JUST DO THAT --- and nothing else. I'll even clap along with him, penalties and all.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
But anybody that follows this team and has a clue knows that this year's record is in spite of Garrett, not because of Garrett. Dak falling into our laps and playing like he has was blind luck. Oh sure they scouted and asked a lot of questions but taking him with the 135th pick means they didnt know what they were really getting. When you look at Garrett's track record with QB's its quite obvious that Garrett isnt the reason for Dak's success. We can only hope that Garrett doesnt screw him up over time. And getting Zeke was nothing more than a result of coaching failure and incompetence last year.

Think about where this team would have been the last 6 years if we actually had a decent coach. Would a good coach have folded like a cheap lawn chair last year when Romo was out? Would a good coach have failed to win the division those three 8-8 years?

If you are going to blame the man for everything that goes wrong, then you have to give him at least SOME credit when things go right.

As for not being able to do anything with a QB during his time here, the only QB worth two shits that they've had since Garrett has been here had been Romo, until they got Prescott. And Romo has played well. Prescott has far exceeded anyone's expectations.

As many know, I was a big fan of Garrett and the decision to hire him at one time, but had changed in recent years to thinking he needed to go. That said, he does deserve some credit for the really good seasons we had in 2014 and 2016, just like he deserves some of the blame for things that didn't go well in some of the mediocre (or bad, like last yr) seasons.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
As for not being able to do anything with a QB during his time here, the only QB worth two shits that they've had since Garrett has been here had been Romo, until they got Prescott. And Romo has played well. Prescott has far exceeded anyone's expectations.
Um, yeah. Is this supposed to be some kind of defense of Garrett, that he's "only" had Romo and Prescott for five of the six years he's been here?

Give me a break. At least 25 NFL teams would kill to have either of those QBs. Give him a Tyrod Taylor or Brock Oseweiller or Blake Bortles and see how things go.

Oh wait, we did see that. Last year.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm depressed reading comments here. First seed, one and done is just terrible.

Not everyone. I think we're going to roll. In fact, I'm sure of it.

Their defense won't have any answer for Elliott. They'll probably try to stack up against the run, but 1) we'll run it well anyway and 2) that will open up the receivers for those repeated 8, 10, 12 yard passes Dak has been so accurate with all year. I think we'll have several drives that look like a hot knife going through butter.

And on defense, sure Rodgers will make a few plays. But I think we'll see mostly an afternoon of a frustrated Rodgers and their WRs asking for PI calls all day while our DBs plaster their receivers. We'll get most of the calls and the refs will let them play at home.

Book it.

Bushmaster78FS

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I hear they put Dez to punt return, why not McFadden?

Nevermind, it was one of those click bait news.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
you have to give him at least SOME credit when things go right.

SOME is fine. However, when you look at the overall picture and history its obvious he doesnt deserve much credit. His incompetence as a head coach is significant.

If you have a teenager that has totaled 5 or 6 cars in several years and then you get that teenager a self driving car and no more accidents how much credit is deserved for no more accidents?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Um, yeah. Is this supposed to be some kind of defense of Garrett, that he's "only" had Romo and Prescott for five of the six years he's been here?

Give me a break. At least 25 NFL teams would kill to have either of those QBs. Give him a Tyrod Taylor or Brock Oseweiller or Blake Bortles and see how things go.

Oh wait, we did see that. Last year.

In Prescott's case all 31 other teams could have had him, but chose not to.

As for your other comment, I think any fool would take the Taylor's, Osweiler's and Bortles of the world ahead of any of the guys we trotted out last year. I don't think much of any of those guys, but they are all vastly better than Weeden, Cassel and Moore.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Their defense won't have any answer for Elliott. They'll probably try to stack up against the run, but 1) we'll run it well anyway and 2) that will open up the receivers for those repeated 8, 10, 12 yard passes Dak has been so accurate with all year. I think we'll have several drives that look like a hot knife going through butter.

And on defense, sure Rodgers will make a few plays. But I think we'll see mostly an afternoon of a frustrated Rodgers and their WRs asking for PI calls all day while our DBs plaster their receivers. We'll get most of the calls and the refs will let them play at home.

Book it.

You better be right TE

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I hear they put Dez to punt return, why not McFadden?

Nevermind, it was one of those click bait news.

Actually wont be surprised if we do see Bryant return some punts at key times or when field position is really favorable. I've read during the season he has continued to work on fielding punts and its obviously something he did before here.

I don't think McFadden has ever returned punts but we did see him back on kickoffs.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Doug Free vs Peppers or Matthews is my biggest concern. He's a one-man dream killer.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Doug Free vs Peppers or Matthews is my biggest concern. He's a one-man dream killer.

I don't recall off the top of my head, how'd he do earlier in the season against them?

Just glancing at the box score, the Packers had two sacks (Peppers had one, but I don't recall where he lined up). Peppers and Matthews combined for 3 tackles and just one hit on Prescott.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Book it.

CSjNLesUcAAGkhl.jpg

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't recall off the top of my head, how'd he do earlier in the season against them?

Just glancing at the box score, the Packers had two sacks (Peppers had one, but I don't recall where he lined up). Peppers and Matthews combined for 3 tackles and just one hit on Prescott.

He caused a sack/fumble (debatable INT), you can see here (starting at 13.20ish):

Custom Cowboys/Packers Game Film - 1st half - YouTube

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

oh, let me refresh your memory

and that similar strip sack in Pittsburgh? guess who?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Dak doesn't keep two hands on the ball when he escapes the pocket while still looking downfield, seems like an easy fix, hopefully its already been done

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
I think any fool would take the Taylor's, Osweiler's and Bortles of the world ahead of any of the guys we trotted out last year. I don't think much of any of those guys, but they are all vastly better than Weeden, Cassel and Moore.

Cassell was a veteran that had some success as a starter in the league. Not great but he would never have started ever if he was as bad other places as he was in Dallas. Didnt he win 11 games when Brady was out for the season in NE? QB guru Garrett couldnt do anything with a veteran that knows the game. Weeden was worse in Dallas than other places. That is significant. Both of these guys played their worst ball in Dallas, with Red. So how confident can you be that those guys you mentioned would fare any better with Red?

None of this is just a bash on Red. Its just how things are. The more he has shown the more its obvious his coaching ability isnt all that great.

Top Bottom