dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Really really hate the idea of Zeke Elliot going to Philadelphia, where we'd have to face him twice a year minimum..

Their OL sux, so while I am sure he is vastly better than anything they currently have, he'll be running behind a shit OL with shit QB. He'll be a nice player, but I don't think he'd be all world running there.

Now here, behind this OL and with Romo and Dez out there, he'd potentially tear up the league.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I don't think he'd be all world running there.
Except of course, against us.

But, I believe Zeke is special - potentially Emmitt Smith special. While the line Emmitt ran behind is widely thought to be all-world dominant, the truth is the special back Emmitt was, made them all-world. No other back could seem to get the job done, behind that same line. Just Emmitt.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Pat Kirwin mock for us, 3 rounds.

4. DALLAS: JALEN RAMSEY, DB, FLORIDA STATE
Here’s another team that will see a player unexpectedly drop to them as a result of the Rams trade. We all know how versatile Ramsey is, and the Cowboys need defensive players. ROUND 2: Shilique Calhoun, DE, Michigan State ROUND 3: Devontae Booker, RB, Utah.

I'd love this draft.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Same here on Jack. Shame if true. But I wouldn't rule out that some of that could be disinformation from teams interested in him.

Makes a lot of sense if true. Because if you truly thought his knee was a big issue wouldn't you not say shit about it in hopes that another team takes Jack so a player you rather have would slide back to you...

I also went to his agents Twitter where he posted those videos of Jack doing drills full speed. I'm no doctor but that knee looks fine.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I didn't see the point of drafting a linebacker who's no threat to sack the QB. He's not the second coming of Khalil Mack. sideline to sideline tackler? nice skill, but not worthy of a top 5 pick.

That's like saying Ray Lewis or Urlacher wouldn't be worth a top 5 pick in their draft re-do's. Jack is a 3 down LBer that can cover better than some starting safeties in this league. He's a new age LBer in today's pass happy NFL and there's not a more perfect fit for our defense than him in this draft. If that knee checks out I hope to god he's our pick.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
JASON LA CANFORA
CBS Sports NFL Insider

NFL Draft notes: Saints might be eyeing a successor for Drew Brees
April 17, 2016 4:20 pm ET

I'm hearing that the New Orleans Saints could indeed take a quarterback in the first round, and if Carson Wentz is on the board with that 12th-overall selection, perhaps that is where any slide would stop.

In fact, I don't believe they would pass on him there as their quarterback of the future, and some execs maintain the Saints are also in the market to move up for a QB under the right circumstances.

It's no secret that Drew Brees is in the final year of his deal and the buzz in the Saints' building is that the asking price is exceptionally steep. Like plenty north of $20 million. Head coach Sean Payton is all in for the long-term with his new contract extension and he knows as well as anyone the value of having a quarterback.

New Orleans has done a ton of work on quarterbacks in the past few drafts and they don't plan to be picking this high again. This could be their last shot to land a top passer at a cheap price for a long time. I don't see them passing on Wentz if he slides.

As much as Brees has a connection to the team and the city, you can't just assume you get him signed for the next 3-5 years. They need some insurance and who better than Payton to groom a young passer and develop him over time? Sure, the Saints have other needs and yes their division is rapidly improving, but the reason for that is that the Panthers and Bucs now have their young franchise quarterbacks as well.

The Saints' know Brees can't play forever. Especially once the top five or six impact players are gone, the opportunity cost of not getting Wentz could far outweigh the impact of whichever offensive or defensive linemen say the Saints would in fact take with the 12th pick.

A run on quarterbacks late in the first round

There will be a run on quarterbacks starting with the final pick of the first round and running through the second day of the draft.

The Broncos are obviously in the market for a passer with the 31st pick, where Connor Cook or Paxton Lynch could be in play. I continue to hear the Bills are very likely to use a pick at the top of the second round on a passer -- they really like Cardale Jones at a time I don't hear too many good things from other clubs about him -- and that could be the floor for Cook.

The 49ers, Chargers and Cowboys could take quarterbacks atop Round 2 as well -- Dak Prescott's sweet spot, perhaps. I haven't talked to an exec I trust who isn't convinced the Patriots take Navy quarterback Keenan Reynolds -- a slash-type player at the pro level -- at some point in the middle of this draft.

Dak Prescott? At 34? Are you fucking kidding me?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Except of course, against us.

But, I believe Zeke is special - potentially Emmitt Smith special. While the line Emmitt ran behind is widely thought to be all-world dominant, the truth is the special back Emmitt was, made them all-world. No other back could seem to get the job done, behind that same line. Just Emmitt.

Not to mention Tuinei, Newton, and Gesek had already been around a couple years before Emmitt got here and no one thought they were great. Emmitt is as much responsible for that line being great as they are.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Pat Kirwin mock for us, 3 rounds.

4. DALLAS: JALEN RAMSEY, DB, FLORIDA STATE
Here’s another team that will see a player unexpectedly drop to them as a result of the Rams trade. We all know how versatile Ramsey is, and the Cowboys need defensive players. ROUND 2: Shilique Calhoun, DE, Michigan State ROUND 3: Devontae Booker, RB, Utah.

I would then add Ronald Blair in the 4th round.

http://youtu.be/38Ytur9w6Y8

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Not to mention Tuinei, Newton, and Gesek had already been around a couple years before Emmitt got here and no one thought they were great. Emmitt is as much responsible for that line being great as they are.
In fact Tex Schramm had told Jerry and Jimmy not to bother with Nate, said he was a lost cause. And yeah, we got Gesek as a discard essentially from the raiders, for a 5th round pick in 90. Coaching makes a heckuva difference in performance too.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
In fact Tex Schramm had told Jerry and Jimmy not to bother with Nate, said he was a lost cause. And yeah, we got Gesek as a discard essentially from the raiders, for a 5th round pick in 90. Coaching makes a heckuva difference in performance too.

And Tuinei started off as a DT before moving to LT.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Tony Wise was a sensational OL coach. Very underrated part of the success starting late 1990-92 season. He left after that 92 season to go to Chicago with Wannstedt.

Reaction score
Really really hate the idea of Zeke Elliot going to Philadelphia, where we'd have to face him twice a year minimum..

I feel the same.

Maybe the Eagles will work a trade with the Browns and pick up one of the QBs instead (although that could lead to other problems).

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The NFL Network is now reporting that the Eagles were the runner ups behind the Rams to trade up to the #1 spot. Apparently their lack of a 2nd round pick (given up to get Bradford) is what hurt their chances and allowed the Rams to leap frog them.

They are also reporting that they were in talks with the Chargers to move up to three until the Rams moved to one insuring that a QB would be taken 1 and 2.

If they do move up to #2 they would have to give up their one this year and at least next years #1 and who knows what else.

I would hate to see the Eagles get their next franchise QB figured out and in the pipeline before we do. But I sure wouldn't mind them giving up everything they would need to to get one of them.

Sent from my two thumbs using Tapatalk

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Word is Dak Prescott is coming to VR for a visit now.

Stevie says "there's a number of QB's outside of first round we like"

Really do not want us to select Prescott.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jon Machota
✔ ‎‎@jonmachota

Stephen Jones: Cowboys could still sign vet QB, but there are some QBs in draft outside Round 1 we like. Have brought several in for visits.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
That's like saying Ray Lewis or Urlacher wouldn't be worth a top 5 pick in their draft re-do's. Jack is a 3 down LBer that can cover better than some starting safeties in this league. He's a new age LBer in today's pass happy NFL and there's not a more perfect fit for our defense than him in this draft. If that knee checks out I hope to god he's our pick.

I'm not calling him a bum. I just think we have higher priorities.

Question: It looks like both QBs are going to be gone by the time Dallas drafts at 4. If Bosa and Ramsey are the next two to go, which one would you rather have?

Gosselin: I've said repeatedly the three most pressing needs of the Cowboys this offseason are pass rush, pass rush and pass rush. Having whiffed in free agency, the Cowboys can't afford to whiff in the draft. The Cowboys need to find about 20 sacks this offseason. If you pass on Bosa, I'm not sure where the Cowboys can find someone to put a dent in that number. Like I said, I wouldn't be adverse to the Cowboys taking pass rushers with each of their first two picks, one on the inside and one on the outside. If you can't rush the passer in this league, you can't win. And right now, the Cowboys can't rush the passer.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The scary part is I can see Wentz going 1, Goff going 2, Tunsil going 3 to the Chargers and Lynch going to us at #4

I am starting to smell desperation on our part for a QB

Now the question is this, is it worth us to give up our future picks to move up to get either Goff or Wentz at 2? Or would you rather use the number 4 overall on Lynch?

I in no way feel Lynch is worth the fourth overall pick. But I would rather use that pick on him then give up what we would have to to move up to #2 to take the leftover QB

Which would be the worse scenario for you?

Sent from my two thumbs using Tapatalk

Top Bottom