dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I like Lynch a lot. I think you can get him a little later in the draft. I think he needs a lot of work and we don't have the guys (Garrett, Wade Wilson) to help him.

How much later though?

Say Wentz and Goff go 2-3 or 2-4, SF could have strong interest in Lynch if the didn't move up to 3 or 4 for Goff. So could Philly and definitely so could the Rams. I don't think its 100% out of the question that teams like San Diego and even Chicago might take a QB too.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think Lynch is still very much in play if they trade back. A trade with the Rams at 15 would be a perfect place to draft him.

Yeah....Browns take Wentz. We trade our pick to the Rams who take Goff. We sit at 15 waiting for Lynch, then the Niners or Eagles nab him before we pick.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah....Browns take Wentz. We trade our pick to the Rams who take Goff. We sit at 15 waiting for Lynch, then the Niners or Eagles nab him before we pick.

If we trade away from Goff to take Lynch I will lose my shit.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

That would definitely be a kick in the nuts.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I say we stand pat at 4 and take the best QB of the bunch that's still there

If all three are gone then we go defense

Angrymesscan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
If Goff or Wentz are there at 4, the only way you trade down is if it includes a 1st next year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What are people's thoughts here on Shaq Lawson? Not at 4, but if we moved down.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
What are people's thoughts here on Shaq Lawson? Not at 4, but if we moved down.

I wouldn't mind if the Cowboys drafted him in a trade down scenario. Only if Elliott is gone though.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Connor Cook tries to dispel myths, perceptions
8:17 AM ET
Pat McManamon
ESPN Staff Writer

When considering quarterbacks in the draft, ponder this résumé:

Won the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award in 2015.

Three-year starter.

Went to school for four years, earned his degree in December.

Won 34 games, lost 5 as a starter; win-lost percentage of .872.

More wins at his school than any other quarterback.

Set school record for touchdown passes, passing yards and total offense.

Won two bowl games as a starter.

Finished career with 71 touchdowns and 22 interceptions.

Played in a pro-style offense for three years.

Stands 6-foot-4 and weighs 220 pounds.

Add on that he was the 2015 Big Ten Quarterback of the Year, was named first-team All-Big Ten last season, and was Academic All-Big Ten for three years.

One would think folks would be falling all over this quarterback, that he could hardly have done more to burnish his credentials as he heads toward the NFL draft.

Instead, Connor Cook, who grew up in Hinckley and went to high school at Walsh Jesuit, is spending his time dispelling images and chasing ghosts. He wasn't a leader because he wasn't named one of the team's three captains. He insulted Archie Griffin when he was given the MVP trophy after Michigan State won the Big Ten title. He is cocky and arrogant.

If ever a draft silly season existed for someone, it exists for Cook, who did all he could as a Spartan and who for most of his senior season was considered one of the top quarterbacks coming out.

Now, though, he's projected to be drafted anywhere from the late first round to the third all because of the perceptions, which began in earnest when ESPN's Todd McShay did not have Cook in his first-round mock draft in December. McShay said it was because of questions and concerns he had been hearing from scouts about Cook.

Spartans center Jack Allen was named a captain, and he said Cook not being named one is not a story.

"I know sometimes in the media he isn't reflected on as well, but I don't think anything that you hear is true, so ..." Allen said at the combine.

The rest of Cook's teammates also had his back.

"I think it's a little bit of overkill at this point," tackle Jack Conklin said.

"When you think of a team, who's the biggest captain of a team?" defensive end Shilique Calhoun said. "The quarterback. And that's kind of known, it doesn't need to be said. He led us to a lot of victories at Michigan State, and we didn't feel like he needed that specific honor because he already had it in our minds and our hearts."

"His character isn’t an issue," receiver Aaron Burbridge said. "I don’t understand where the question marks are coming from."

Burbridge said that Cook addressed the team after every practice, pointing out areas that needed to be improved and stressing areas that were not crisp during that practice.

"He led by example but he was also a great vocal leader," Calhoun said.

Some call Cook a different kind of personality, nearing the point of being quirky.

But his backup, Tyler O'Connor, took to Twitter this week to weigh in:

Cook acknowledges the questions and says he will address concerns. He has consistently explained from September on that he was disappointed not to be a captain, but there were 22 seniors on the team and it would not stop him from leading. He said he apologized to Griffin, Ohio State's two-time Heisman winner.

He also described how he operated in Mark Dantonio's pro-style offense.

"I’ve done a lot of stuff from under center, done the five-step drops, done the seven-step drops, naked play-action pass rollouts," he said. "We have pro-style concepts, reading the whole field. It’s not like we’re standing just [focusing] on one side of the field and staying there.

"We have one, two, three, to four different reads."

Which should sound good to any NFL team. McShay does not discount the ability.

"From his ability to read coverage, to the game experience he has, to knowing how to get out of bad plays and into good plays, throwing with anticipation, trusting his receivers that they are going to be there and being able to throw to spots," McShay said in December, "he does everything you look for."

Browns' chances to take him: Medium to high. Coach Hue Jackson emphasized the team will take the best player available with the second overall pick. If that's true, it probably won't be a quarterback. When the 32nd pick rolls around, Cook could well be the best player on the board.

Browns' main question: Does the team have to take a quarterback second overall, or can it afford to wait?

Friday: Cardale Jones, Ohio State.

Previously: Jared Goff of Cal, Carson Wentz of North Dakota State, Paxton Lynch of Memphis.

Reaction score
theres literally no one in this draft I'm really excited about.

So sick of this team right now.

Fuck you Jeery and Jason.

I miss how excited I used to get for the draft. I remember how excited I got for Roy Williams (31). Or how I rooted so heavily for Stephen Jackson to keep falling.

Man.....

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
[video=youtube;pOKO9to_D9M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOKO9to_D9M[/video]

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This guy would look good in the middle of our DL

[video=youtube;afNZkUuJqhA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNZkUuJqhA[/video]

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Big fan of this guy too.

[video=youtube;Qn_bQctE5UY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn_bQctE5UY[/video]

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Another DT for us maybe:

[video=youtube;Sn1Okg3Qr04]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn1Okg3Qr04[/video]

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
QB Brandon Allen is growing on me. I liked some of what he did in the Senior Bowl and he is obviously coming off a huge year at Arkansas. Threw the ball well at the combine too. Coming off back to back impressive seasons, and his stats this year were outstanding (30 tds, 8 ints, 66% comp %, 9.3 yds per attempt)

If he were 6'4 instead of 6'2, he'd be a 1st round pick I think. Throws the ball well and it has some zip on it. Seems very accurate and has good footwork. if for some reason we pass on the top 3 guys, he'd be my next choice now and we might be able to get him at our spot in round three. Broaddus has been mentioning him quite a bit the past week or so as well.

[video=youtube;FbFfXifWWXI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbFfXifWWXI[/video]

Top Bottom