MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He's on the field too much now and really isn't much of a downfield threat at all. Really makes the offense more easy to defend because defenses don't worry about him threatening downfield any longer. They wasted Escobar here.

They won't take him off the field unless he's injured or unless he asks to come off he field. And he rarely asks to come off the field. I've seen him waive off Hanna and Escobar and refuse to come out of the game. He's earned that right however it hinders the growth of and other TE that comes through Dallas.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think the blame is equally spread between our staff and escobar. Both of them have failed.

I dont. I think the blame lies solely on Garrett and the staff. The guy cant catch passes if he isn't on the field and used in the passing game.

As much as we all hate Jerry, he had to be talked into taking Escobar that year and CLEARLY stated to Garrett and the other coaches that if they were going to take him, they better utilize him. They never did. Did the same things with Fasano and Bennett too.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They won't take him off the field unless he's injured or unless he asks to come off he field. And he rarely asks to come off the field. I've seen him waive off Hanna and Escobar and refuse to come out of the game. He's earned that right however it hinders the growth of and other TE that comes through Dallas.

It hinders the offense too. He just cant run all the routes and be much of a scare to other teams in the intermediate to deep areas. He used to be a holy terror for LB's and most safeties for those plays, but not anymore.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It hinders the offense too. He just cant run all the routes and be much of a scare to other teams in the intermediate to deep areas. He used to be a holy terror for LB's and most safeties for those plays, but not anymore.

He's a proud player and has done a ton for this organization but he'll never see that. In his eyes as long as he is playing he is the best option for the Cowboys at TE. No other TE will ever get a legit chance to start while Witten is active.

Once he's done, I have no doubt they'll find another good/great TE. They've drafted some good ones over the last 10 years or so. I fully expect Hanna will be a good contributor if not better than he was here for whatever team he plays for next. Escobar too once he leaves.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He's a proud player and has done a ton for this organization but he'll never see that. In his eyes as long as he is playing he is the best option for the Cowboys at TE. No other TE will ever get a legit chance to start while Witten is active.
And as long as we have a coach whose balls still haven't dropped, it'll always be up to the player.

Reaction score
For those that care, a couple of the draft magazines are on newsstands now

Draft magazines? What the fuck is this? 1994?

Alrighty... I'll be sure to check them out on my way to Blockbuster when I go rent a couple VHS's.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I dont. I think the blame lies solely on Garrett and the staff. The guy cant catch passes if he isn't on the field and used in the passing game.

As much as we all hate Jerry, he had to be talked into taking Escobar that year and CLEARLY stated to Garrett and the other coaches that if they were going to take him, they better utilize him. They never did. Did the same things with Fasano and Bennett too.

fasano and bennett never really showed all that much here. Neither in practice nor the games. Escobar despite fan boys like you never showed all that much either. You can whine about that all you want but reality is that. IF he had truly been what you keep claiming he was then he would have gotten more opportunities. Now I do not doubt that our staff is heavily biased towards vets and that forces the young ones all too often to have to perform a LOT better to get a shot, but in the end that is up to the player. And escobar spit the bit. Especially as regards blocking- and the Boys put a lot of emphasis on that for their TE's.

Reaction score
Problem is they knew Escobar was a shitty blocker when they drafted him. If you put emphasis on blocking TEs, why draft a guy who has literally never done it?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
fasano and bennett never really showed all that much here. Neither in practice nor the games. Escobar despite fan boys like you never showed all that much either. You can whine about that all you want but reality is that. IF he had truly been what you keep claiming he was then he would have gotten more opportunities. Now I do not doubt that our staff is heavily biased towards vets and that forces the young ones all too often to have to perform a LOT better to get a shot, but in the end that is up to the player. And escobar spit the bit. Especially as regards blocking- and the Boys put a lot of emphasis on that for their TE's.

What happened with Fasano and Bennett after they left and became the lead TE's with their new teams?

As Pep mentioned, EVERYONE knew he wasn't a strong blocker. He was regarded as a high quality receiving threat and he has shown glimpses of that. He doesn't catch many balls because he's hardly ever on the field, and even when he is he's sometimes left in to block or at best the 4th or 5th option.

The only time it seems any effort was made to get him the ball was inside the redzone, and even that was sparingly.

We can agree to disagree on this, but I think your argument is pretty weak and the fact that not only guys like Fasano and Bennett performed well elsewhere, even a guy like Scott Chandler did as well. This staff CLEARLY doesn't know how to utilize two TE sets.

Reaction score
Escobar is the guy they asked Romo to review film of. And Romo loved the kid

Yet another reason to hate #9

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

There is reason to hate Romo, but this isn't one of them. I personally do not get the hate on Escobar. The guy performed quite well with the limited opportunities he was given. In fact, it was quite maddening when you see im perform, you get your hopes up that you would see more of him, but you ended up with the total opposite.

The failure to fully utilize Escobar and Hannah is just another mark against Garrett.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
There is reason to hate Romo, but this isn't one of them. I personally do not get the hate on Escobar. The guy performed quite well with the limited opportunities he was given. In fact, it was quite maddening when you see im perform, you get your hopes up that you would see more of him, but you ended up with the total opposite.

The failure to fully utilize Escobar and Hannah is just another mark against Garrett.

Yep, my sentiments exactly

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score

cowboys should have a rule that no QB ever gives advice on TE prospects. First Aikman and Lafleur and then Romo and Escobar. Just does not work.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
There was nothing wrong from a talent standpoint with LaFluer. it was a degenerative back issue that ruined him.

That and having a HC/playcaller who basically ignored the TE position (Gailey)

Reaction score
It never made sense to use a #2 on Escobar. He's a bad fit for the formations that the Cowboys like to run.

Garrett prefers Beasley to Escobar.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
There was nothing wrong from a talent standpoint with LaFluer. it was a degenerative back issue that ruined him.

That and having a HC/playcaller who basically ignored the TE position (Gailey)

bottom line was the outcome. You can whine all you want.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Mel Kiper Jr.: 'Wentz is amazing'

The NFL draft guru says QB draft prospects Carson Wentz and Jared Goff both deserve to be drafted in the top 10, with Wentz as the potential second overall pick.

Top Bottom