bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
He's also already 23 and has only played one healthy year. I like him but the hype is getting ridiculous.

get ready for the "he'll be off the board by #4!" hysteria

Reaction score
get ready for the "he'll be off the board by #4!" hysteria
Hey, if we can identify 3 QBs who are worthy of the 4th pick, then we should at least be guaranteed to get one of em. Tennessee isn't taking one.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey, if we can identify 3 QBs who are worthy of the 4th pick, then we should at least be guaranteed to get one of em. Tennessee isn't taking one.

I'll believe it when I see it. Not Jerry's style to take a top 5 player who won't play right away and would possibly make Tony uncomfortable.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He's also already 23 and has only played one healthy year. I like him but the hype is getting ridiculous.

Amen. Can't we at least see him at the Senior Bowl against better competition, or even better at the combine alongside the other guys before we crown him?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it. Not Jerry's style to take a top 5 player who won't play right away and would possibly make Tony uncomfortable.
Wasn't the bolded one of the considerations for skipping on Manziel?

Reaction score
Wentz highlight reel is all wobblers.

I no longer care if we burn a top 4 pick on a player who we hope won't play for years. We've wasted picks on claireborne, Jenkins, Felix, Escobar, Bennett, carter, etc. you can compete even if you whiff on premium picks. We clearly are mediocre to bad without romo. Our record without him this past decade shows that. I can't imagine what we would be like if we got into the Quincy/hutch days all while having a head coach with that as a built in excuse and a near 80 years old jerry jones. Very "late al Davis" raiders esque future of the team.

Plus romo is a leader of players league wide. Highly respected by everyone, he can totally coach up and yet still keep at bay a young qb. Their relationship would be fine. The new qb would know what's up

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
If we select a QB this year, it will have some of Romo's fingerprints on it. Remember he said he'd help the Cowboys out in scouting a QB.

I would bet dollars to donuts that Goff is Romo's guy.

Reaction score
I'd need to review all the available free agents again, but I think if I were the Cowboys I might start thinking about spending free agent dollars on the defensive side of the ball, and then use most of the premium draft picks on the offense. They don't have to marry that idea, but if they take a QB at 4 they could be set up to get a stud TE and/or RB in rounds two and three. WR and a true return guy shouldn't be ignored either.

In free agency, they'd need to address the DT spot opp Crawford (and not by resigning Hayden with the intent to start him there), probably one LB spot (I wouldn't keep McClain, I'd sign a moderately priced guy to replace him) and then look at signing one or two DB's who could start (a CB and a SS). I'd dump Carr and think seriously about releasing Church due to his cost. Wilcox I'd keep as a backup SS. I'd consider resigning Claiborne if it were extremely cheap for us (and not more than a 1 or 2 yr deal)

If witten is gonna be a cal Ripken they need to start reducing his snaps so we can see what these tight ends they keep drafting have. Yea Escobar is goofy and shit but I wouldn't be shocked if he has a little something something to him and we'll just never see it in Dallas.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If we select a QB this year, it will have some of Romo's fingerprints on it. Remember he said he'd help the Cowboys out in scouting a QB.

I would be dollars to donuts that Goff is Romo's guy.

Romo thinks he has four years left. It wouldn't shock me if they come up with some kind of exit plan keeping romo with the franchise even past his retirement. They would have to pay him enough to not go to fox as a broadcaster but it would be a nice Disney ending if he did win one as our offensive coordinator coaching up his apprentice.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Amen. Can't we at least see him at the Senior Bowl against better competition, or even better at the combine alongside the other guys before we crown him?

I care more what he looks like in the practices than the game itself, so it will be interesting to get the takes of those covering the week.

Playing well in the game would be a huge plus, but it isn't critical.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I think Goff will be gone by #4. Personally I like Wentz but even if their pick is Lynch I believe they have to take a QB. Realistically Romo has about 2 years left. Every QB in this draft is a project and that's perfect time to groom one of them. Drafting a QB at #4 and allowing him to sit and learn would extend the Cowboys "window" by at least 10 years.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Welcome to the DCU MrB!

If your Nick was MrE it would sound like "Mystery!"
Drafting a QB at #4 and allowing him to sit and learn would extend the Cowboys "window" by at least 10 years.
"Window" for continued 8-8 instead of 4-12.

Top Bottom