NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Zierlein: Dallas Cowboys likely to pass on Joey Bosa

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: March 25, 2016 at 05:59 p.m.
Updated: March 25, 2016 at 07:11 p.m.

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has said the club's No. 4 overall draft pick doesn't have a quarterback's name on it, and apparently Joey Bosa's name won't be on it, either. The Ohio State defensive end is projected as a high first-round pick, but if he's not chosen in the top three picks, NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein expects the Cowboys to pass on him, as well.

"I don't believe the Dallas Cowboys will draft Joey Bosa," Zierlein said on The Pick Is In podcast. "I've heard that they're not in love with Joey Bosa. I don't think Joey Bosa is going to be a Cowboy."

Zierlein said it's his understanding that some other top prospects appeal more to Dallas for the No. 4 pick, while opinions in the Cowboys' building are more split on Bosa. The Cowboys coaching staff was in Columbus, Ohio, on Friday to conduct private workouts with some Buckeyes, and according to the Dallas Morning News, Bosa was among them. Zierlein's latest mock draft projects Dallas to take a different Buckeye, running back Ezekiel Elliott, at No. 4.

But options beyond quarterbacks and Ohio State's top two prospects are plenty.

"Myles Jack could be (a Cowboy). If you want to argue for Myles Jack, no problem. You want to argue for Ronnie Stanley and lock down both tackle spots? I'm fine with that. Jalen Ramsey falls, you go get him," Zierlein said, adding that Oregon defensive lineman DeForest Buckner could be a viable option for the Cowboys, as well.

Zierlein projects the Baltimore Ravens to take Bosa at No. 6 overall, as does analyst Bucky Brooks. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers, picking No. 9 overall, have a draft need at defensive end as well.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

Stanley is on my bust list. I hope we stay clear of him. We could do much better at 4 than that.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I disagree. I watched all of his games on draftbreakdown multiple times because he's that fun to watch. If he were to play MLB he'll be a better version of Urlacher. Blockers got to him plenty and he attacks them with a jolt from his hands, catching a lot of them off guard and freeing himself from the block. Sometimes I felt he got too caught up in attacking the lineman that he missed an opportunity to be in on the tackle. He's very aggressive which is great but it will bite him in the ass on occasion. His cover skills are incredible, I've never seen a pure LBer at 245lbs be able to do what he's capable of. He's a new age LBer, today's NFL is more pass heavy than ever, and Jack is exactly the type of LBer you need. To me, he's the best player in this draft if his knee clears.

That's the problem though, his knee is a major question mark. I don't think the Cowboys are looking for another injury prone LB no matter how good he is.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
That's the problem though, his knee is a major question mark. I don't think the Cowboys are looking for another injury prone LB no matter how good he is.

One knee injury doesn't make a player "injury prone". Modern day medicine and surgeries are making knee injuries and well injuries in general less signicant than they were in the past.

Don't forget Todd Gurley was selected 10th overall last year and wasn't able to do any workouts. If that knee checks out he'll be drafted high and my hope is its with us.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
One knee injury doesn't make a player "injury prone". Modern day medicine and surgeries are making knee injuries and well injuries in general less signicant than they were in the past.

Don't forget Todd Gurley was selected 10th overall last year and wasn't able to do any workouts. If that knee checks out he'll be drafted high and my hope is its with us.

Yea but there have been rumors that his knee injury may be worse than expected.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Yea but there have been rumors that his knee injury may be worse than expected.

Got a link to these "rumors"?

Because he participated in some of the workouts at UCLA's pro day in the beginning of March and intends to run his 40 this Friday at his personal day.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Because he participated in some of the workouts at UCLA's pro day in the beginning of March and intends to run his 40 this Friday at his personal day.

He didn't run though.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Didn't he have some impressive workout numbers and position drill stuff?

One of them was vertical leap I thought.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Shaq Lawson?

Another trade down scenario that could emerge is with the Bucs at 9. They may be willing to trade up to get Bosa (to get ahead of the Ravens who also want Bosa).

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Didn't he have some impressive workout numbers and position drill stuff?

One of them was vertical leap I thought.

Yea he measured a 40" vertical. Did he do any shuttle drills or any drill that required him to show his change of direction? I'd want to see him cut on that knee. Also his 40 is very important too. Not necessarily to see how fast he is but to see if he can even do it without any discomfort.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Shaq Lawson?

Another trade down scenario that could emerge is with the Bucs at 9. They may be willing to trade up to get Bosa (to get ahead of the Ravens who also want Bosa).

I like Lawson.

Spence looks like a talent but we don't need another drug question mark guy here.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Greg Cosell is on board with Wentz. Have mucho respect for his opinions.

Lots of clips if you go to the link.
Greg Cosell's draft preview: Carson Wentz's valid Andrew Luck comp | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo Sports

Greg Cosell's draft preview: Carson Wentz's valid Andrew Luck comp
By Greg Cosell
7 hours ago

Leading up to the NFL draft on April 28-30, NFL Films' Greg Cosell will be sharing his views on many of the top prospects based on his extensive film study of those players.

Andrew Luck was considered a rare prospect, and as such, people are hesitant to compare other high-level prospects to Luck.

I believe Carson Wentz is a high-level prospect, my top quarterback in this draft class, and I think the comparison to Luck is valid.

What happens down the road in any prospect’s career is pure speculation, and how Wentz does in the NFL is a product of many variables. So I don’t know how Wentz's NFL career will compare to what Luck has done or will continue to do. But I see many similarities between the two quarterbacks.

Like Luck, Wentz is smart. He was a 4.0 student at North Dakota State. Physically, the two are similar, and we’ll get to that in a bit. One thing that stood out to me about Wentz is his poise in critical moments. That reminds me of Luck as well.

Wentz, with his team trailing 28-24 against Northern Iowa last season, led a late drive and threw a game-winning touchdown in the final minute. He converted a couple key fourth downs and showed outstanding poise and composure. It was an excellent combination of patience and aggressiveness. (Move ahead to 11:24 of the video below to watch him lead the game-winning drive.)

Physically there’s a lot to like about Wentz too, and there are more reminders of Luck. Wentz is a very good athlete for a 6-foot-5, 237-pound quarterback (Wentz is actually a smoother-looking athlete than Luck because his body type is different: he is longer and leaner than Luck despite weighing 237 pounds). He has an awareness of how to play the position, like Luck. He has the ability to drive the ball when the throw demands it, as Luck does.

Wentz has very good arm strength. He is a tight, compact, easy thrower for a big quarterback. The ball comes out with velocity. Wentz can clearly drive the ball, which is a result of a strong core and lower body.

Wentz isn’t just a fastball thrower. He has showed the refinement to throw with touch and pace when demanded. He can make firm, touch seam throws that are part of NFL passing games. He showed an excellent feel for the different kinds of throws that are necessary for the situation.

There were other things I liked about Wentz when I watched the film: He had an excellent command of the offense, controlling the game at the line of scrimmage when needed with a lot of audibles and checks. He excelled in a structured passing game that asked him to make progression reads and difficult NFL-type throws. All of that will help in his transition to the pro game.

He also is a good runner. There were times when the NDSU offense looked like the Carolina Panthers offense with its multiple backfield actions and run game dimensions. Here’s a quarterback run behind the fullback that went for a touchdown:

If a team decides to use Wentz as a regular part of their running game, as the Panthers do with Cam Newton, he has the ability to excel in that role.

Wentz has many skills you like to see, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be an NFL success. Going back to the Luck example, even though the assumption was that Luck’s decision making wouldn’t be a problem in the NFL because of his high-level intelligence, he hasn’t been a consistently good decision maker in the pros — that’s a part of Luck’s game he must continue to work on. So it’s always tough to project any prospect, no matter the position. There’s a lot of variables involved in becoming a high-level NFL player, especially at quarterback.

I can only tell you what I’ve seen on tape from the prospects going into the draft. And what I’ve seen from Wentz is pretty good. He's my No. 1 quarterback in this draft.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Reported wonderlics, also a blurb by another poster at CZ that says Wentz has maintained a 4.0 grade average his entire schooling career

Wentz 40
Goff 36

Via Benjamin Albright on Twitter

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
What about Noah Spence if they decide to trade down?

I really think that the boys will stay away from anyone with real flags this year after the fun and games with Hardy and then Gregory; and we are still suffering because of our own DUI history.

Top Bottom