MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
"They're just being coy! It's a smokescreen to hide their interest!"

But the Dallas guy is right. You still got the practices, the game itself, the combine, the Wonderlic, the personal interview, the personal workout, etc.

Yea I also wouldn't expect any member of the Cowboys to come out and say "Yup! Wentz is our guy all the way!"

Reaction score
5 years with a top 5 pick IN PLACE OF FREE!!! Think about THAT.
Yeah man! Instead of having the best OL in the league, we could have the best OL in the league!!

Who needs a stud DE, LB, backup-but-one-broken-collarbone-away-from-being-starting QB, or a WR to draw defenses away from Dez?? Not us!

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I call BS on that. Tunsil is clearly the best pick in the draft. He is the only player I rank as a true top 5 pick this year. Bosa to me is nowhere near his hype; same with Ramsey (no turnovers) and Treadwell (big holes in his game as well). Goff is only top 5 because he is a QB. If by 4 Tunsil is still there you try and trade back but if no one gives you a good deal (and I think in that case we would get a good deal) you TAKE HIM. So what if we cannot keep him 5 years from now? 5 years with a top 5 pick IN PLACE OF FREE!!! Think about THAT.

That's great, remind me which team you are paid to scout for again?

All kidding aside, again I don't think he'd be THAT much higher graded than some of the guys we clearly have a need position for. Tunsil is not one of the greatest OT prospects in the history of the league here. He's a quality prospect no doubt, but he's a quality prospect at a position area we are loaded at.

If we didn't have Smith or were leery of keeping him long term, I could be swayed. But that's not the case.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Chase Goodbread ‎@ChaseGoodbread

Phil Savage on Wentz: "In the last two weeks I've gotten two calls from (NFL personnel) that he's not only a first-rounder, but a top 10 guy."

6:00 PM - 25 Jan 2016

And of course CMD replied in IdiotZone "hopefully its Cleveland and whoever wants to trade up with San Diego"

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
One area scout of a team picking in the top 10 that doesn't need a quarterback was gushing over North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz. The team has given him a first-round grade and thinks that Wentz is the real deal. They say that Wentz has a good arm, size and athleticism, and they love him off the field. They like his pocket presence, field vision, experience under center, making play calls in the huddle, and potential to grow in the NFL. The scout said that he will fill out his frame in a NFL strength and conditioning program. That area scout said the big challenge for Wentz will be the drastic change in the speed of the game coming from North Dakota State's opponents compared to the NFL. This week at the Senior Bowl could vault Wentz high in the first round.

Read more at walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2016rumors.php#4oicMr0bE4mqH4MX.99

How high? Extremely high. In speaking with sources at the Browns, Wentz is definitely in play with Cleveland. He's viewed as a first-rounder despite a small sample size of starts in college. Sources say the Browns really like Wentz. There are some who believe that Wentz is the best quarterback prospect and they say the only reason why Wentz isn't the consensus No. 1 quarterback is the helmet he wears (i.e. coming from a small school). Assuming the Browns move on from Johnny Manziel and draft a quarterback, it sounds like they are focused on Wentz or Cal quarterback Jared Goff. Both are rated ahead of Memphis' Paxton Lynch, and Wentz could be the early lean.

Read more at walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2016rumors.php#4oicMr0bE4mqH4MX.99

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Phil Savage: Top-10 NFL draft pick buzz on QB Carson Wentz

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: Jan. 25, 2016 at 07:31 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 25, 2016 at 08:20 p.m.

MOBILE, Ala. -- Carson Wentz hasn't yet thrown a pass in a Reese's Senior Bowl practice, but the excitement surrounding the 2016 NFL Draft's most prolific small-school prospect is palpable. Senior Bowl director Phil Savage said the buzz on Wentz, the quarterback from North Dakota State, is that he could be a top-10 pick in the draft.

"With Carson Wentz, most of the scouts I talked to during the year probably thought he was worthy of second-round consideration. But a second-round grade in September is a high grade for a small school. As the fall progressed, then it became, 'Well, no he's more of a first-rounder'," Savage said. "And within the last two weeks, I had two phone calls from (NFL personnel) friends of mine saying that Wentz isn't just a first-rounder, he's going in the 10, so there's a real buzz about him."

Wentz, for his part, said he isn't concerned about any draft projections and is focusing on his upcoming week working with Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett and the rest of the Cowboys staff, which will coach the North squad. He had already met, by his own estimation, with half the clubs in the NFL by the time he spoke at the Senior Bowl's opening news conference.

"Whatever projections might be out there in mock drafts, it's irrelevant to me," Wentz said.

Wentz himself, by contrast, is looking awfully relevant.

Here are four other things we learned Monday at the Senior Bowl:

2. Ragland working outside. Alabama LB Reggie Ragland will play some outside linebacker this week rather than the inside position that made him one of college football's dominant defenders, giving him a better chance to show NFL scouts his ability to play in space and on the perimeter. Ragland met with multiple clubs Sunday night, including the Baltimore Ravens, Kansas City Chiefs, Green Bay Packers and others. Multiple Oakland Raiders scouts spoke with Ragland at length.

3. The deep end. The Senior Bowl not only has some marquee talent projected for the first round of the draft, like Wentz and Ragland, but is stronger at the end of the roster, as well.

"I think this group has a lot more depth throughout the whole roster," Savage said. "There's not a single guy here who isn't worthy of a serious evaluation. There's no one here that someone's going to roll their eyes and say, 'eh, I've already graded him, he's not good enough.' There's not a single player here like that."

4. Chatterbox. Multiple Houston Texans scouts met Sunday with Louisiana Tech DL Vernon Butler, one of the draft's most intriguing sleeper prospects. ... Other discussions included Baylor WR Jay Lee with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Georgia OL John Theus with the Houston Texans, and William & Mary DB DeAndre Houston-Carson with the Indianapolis Colts.

5. Reed ready for any scheme. Savage said he believes Alabama DL Jarran Reed can play in any defense, whether as a 4-3 tackle, a 3-4 end, or a 3-4 nose guard. That could help solidify Reed's draft stock, because prospects who are scheme-challenged are more at risk to tumble in the draft during a run of picks by teams less interested due to scheme concerns. Reed (6-4, 313) anchored the Crimson Tide's national championship run defense with 56 stops, playing inside in both 3-4 and four-down looks.

6. Jackson out. Due to injury reasons, Houston CB William Jackson III, one of the most talented players on either Senior Bowl roster, has withdrawn from the game.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
As I stated before, if Cleveland does choose Wentz over Goff at #2 I'd take Goff in a heartbeat.

I know some of you guys don't think it's wise to draft a QB that is going to sit for at least 2 years but that 2 year wait is what could make a guy like Wentz reach his potential. Coming from a small school the speed of the NFL game will be a huge hurdle. With two years to prepare for it and see it first hand (without being thrown to the wolves) he should be able to make the transition from backup to starter much easier. Similar to the way Romo did.

Also both Wentz and Goff need to put on weight. They would have 2 years to do that if drafted by Dallas. For their sake they better hope Cleveland keeps McCown and Davis so that the one they draft doesn't have to start right away. Cleveland will ruin them if they have to start right away.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
As I stated before, if Cleveland does choose Wentz over Goff at #2 I'd take Goff in a heartbeat.

Have no problem with us taking Goff, or Wentz, or Lynch. I also like Cook more than most do on here. Hackenberg would be ok as well although he seems far more erratic than the other 4.

I know some of you guys don't think it's wise to draft a QB that is going to sit for at least 2 years but that 2 year wait is what could make a guy like Wentz reach his potential. .

I think its incredibly unwise to be in this position and avoid the QB spot. Its been ignored far too long, and we all saw what happened when Aikman's career ended a little prematurely. The team wasn't prepared. This team is in a far better position from an overall talent standpoint than that 2001 team was (the first yr w/o Aikman) so it would be an incredible waste if we have to go from Romo to garbage with this nucleus.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
2016 NFL Draft: Scouting report on North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

January 25, 2016 8:30 pm ET

Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State (6-5, 230)

Background: A no-star quarterback recruit, Wentz was vastly overlooked throughout the recruitment process because he played wide receiver and linebacker as a junior in high school (due to baseball injuries) before starting at quarterback as a senior in 2010. He received offers from a handful of FCS-level teams and Central Michigan, the only FBS program to recruit him, but Wentz stuck to his commitment to nearby North Dakota State, where his brother played baseball. After redshirting in 2011, he saw limited playing time as Brock Jensen's back-up as a redshirt freshman and sophomore. Wentz became the starter in 2014 and led the Bison to the FCS National Title with 63.7 percent completions, 3,111 passing yards, 25 touchdowns and 10 interceptions, earning All-America honors. He started the first six games as a senior before a throwing wrist injury sidelined him for the second half of the 2015 season, returning for the FCS National Championship Game. Wentz finished the season with 62.5% completions, 1,651 passing yards, 17 touchdowns and four interceptions. He accepted his invitation to the 2016 Senior Bowl.

Strengths: Looks the part with a tall, workable frame … above average arm strength to deliver downfield with required velocity -- can make all the necessary NFL throws … tight release, especially for a player with his long arms … shifts his weight well in the pocket to work through the noise and keep his hand on the trigger, maneuvering under duress with improved footwork…functional athleticism in the pocket and as a scrambler, avoiding rushers and extending plays -- throws well moving to his left and his right … has a pre-snap plan and moves efficiently from target-to-target, making sound decisions … shows the ability to recognize defensive coverages and blitzes, changing the play at the line -- reliable field vision pre and post snap … very smart on and off the field with excellent retention and execution skills -- four-time All-Conference honor roll recipient (4.0 GPA) and unprecedented three-time recipient of the NCAA Elite 90 Award … physically and mentally tough with professional poise and work habits ... great teammate and was an extra coach on the sideline while injured … set school single season records for completions (228) and passing yards (3,111) as a junior … consistent winner with a 20-3 career record as a starter and five-time FCS National Champion (twice as a starter).

Weaknesses: Locks onto reads and needs to develop his eye use, staring down targets and leading defenders … improved passing anticipation, but still improving his feel for timing routes -- tick late and needs to speed up his reads … downfield and deep accuracy is inconsistent, leading or underthrowing … bad habit of pre-determining throws and forcing the ball into tight coverage … needs to understand when the play is over and throw the ball away -- 10 fumbles the last two years … on the move too much, even with a clean pocket, and will attempt throws without setting his base or coming to balance … over-sets in his base at times due to his longer legs…lacks ideal starting experience for the position with questions about level of competition -- 22 of 23 career starts came against FCS competition (one FBS opponent was at Iowa State: 18-for-28 for 204 yards, no touchdowns) … missed second half of 2015 season due to a broken right wrist, requiring surgery (Oct. 2015), but did return for the 2015 FCS Championship Game, leading his team to victory.

Summary: A two-year starter, Wentz thrived in North Dakota State's wide-open offense, taking snaps from under center and shotgun with several pro-style reads, including left-to-right and high-to-low progressions. He didn't consistently face top competition at the FCS level, but performed well in high pressure situations, including the 2014 and 2015 FCS National Championship Games (NDSU won both). He was only a 5-foot-8, 125 pound freshman in high school and didn't start at quarterback until his senior year, causing him to go under-recruited (similar path as Ben Roethlisberger).

Although his internal clock and eye use need maturing, Wentz performs well within structure with his strong arm and touch, but can also improvise when the play breaks down, stretching out his legs to pick up chunk yardage if it's there (1,028 career rushing yards). He possesses a NFL-style skill-set with his size, athleticism and arm talent, including the field vision to work through reads and make sound decisions. Comparing favorably to a "souped up" version of Alex Smith, Wentz is the top senior passer in the 2016 draft class and worthy of the first round, although ideally needs a redshirt year as a rookie.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Its been ignored far too long, and we all saw what happened when Aikman's career ended a little prematurely. The team wasn't prepared. This team is in a far better position from an overall talent standpoint than that 2001 team was (the first yr w/o Aikman) so it would be an incredible waste if we have to go from Romo to garbage with this nucleus.
I just have this niggling feeling they think they have it covered, much like last year when I had a feeling they would not draft a RB. I think these idiots really believe they have Romo for at least four more years, and besides - 400 yards out of Moore!!!

Wouldn't shock me at all if they fail to draft any quarterbacks.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I just have this niggling feeling they think they have it covered, much like last year when I had a feeling they would not draft a RB. I think these idiots really believe they have Romo for at least four more years, and besides - 400 yards out of Moore!!!

Wouldn't shock me at all if they fail to draft any quarterbacks.

I've got that same feeling. I remember the last 3 or 4 years before Aikman retired everyone thought the Cowboys should be drafting a QB. Jerry went all out to avoid drafting a QB. Then when they were sucking through the Chad Hutchinson, and Drew Henson days Jerry refused to spend a 1st round pick on a QB. Well now that he has a real football guy in charge of the draft he needs to agree to take a QB in the first round.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
who dat?

Will McClay. He's the Assistant Director of Player Personnel. He's one the main guys that runs the draft. He's basically been responsible for the last few drafts (since the Travis Frederick pick).

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Well now that he has a real football guy in charge of the draft
Will McClay. He's the Assistant Director of Player Personnel. He's one the main guys that runs the draft. He's basically been responsible for the last few drafts (since the Travis Frederick pick).
You're still putting McClay way too high on the Scrotum Pole that is the Dallas hierarchy. Surely Willie knew we needed a fucking RB last year right? There's certainly no evidence of it, if he did. Either way no matter what he might or might not have said, the die was cast and we did NOT draft a RB. We were "good to go" with a panty thief and a washed up raider.

Goal this offseason is going to be, GET Johnny Futon, get a RB and once more, improve the secondary.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

is this a brand new position? what makes him a "real football guy" compared to his predecessors?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He was a coach. He also has an eye for talent.

per the propaganda spewed out by dallascowboys.com

He was an Arena League coach, let's calm down on praising his hard work to become Jerry's latest lackey and future fall guy.

Will McClay sits there quietly on draft day. It may be his work that sets up the board, but he does not appear to have any say on actual decisions.

Top Bottom