dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And he resented Callahan for it (even though it wasn't Callahan's fault), couldn't keep his hands out of the mix, and ended up taking it back.

He "resented" it? Huh? Where was this ever revealed or confirmed?

The next year when Jerry said that absolutely won't happen again, Jason is now hands-off... We were much more efficient and went 12-4.

I absolutely don't want to downplay the Linehan factor because he did do an excellent job. I do find it comical though that people such as yourself (and many others in this forum and CZ) now cite this as a reason to downplay whatever Garrett does here, when it was Garrett who decided to hire Linehan (after Jerry wouldn't let him hire Norv) AND most of you guys were EXTREMELY critical of the Linehan hire to begin with, saying it was a pass happy hire by Garrett to further enhance the pass happy way he wanted to run the offense.

They went 12-4 for a lot of reasons last yr. They were a better team with an outstanding OL and skill players, the defense was much better than most people believed it would be and the ST were pretty damn good. Not just because Garrett wasn't calling plays.

Reaction score
And he resented Callahan for it (even though it wasn't Callahan's fault), couldn't keep his hands out of the mix, and ended up taking it back.

The next year when Jerry said that absolutely won't happen again, Jason is now hands-off... We were much more efficient and went 12-4.

More random speculation. Throwing more shit at the wall. Callahan wasn’t any better at calling plays and didn’t understand that Garrett wanted to run the ball more. Linehan understood that when he was hired and stuck to it.

Linehan: Ground Game Was Garrett’s Top Priority When I Signed On | Dallas Cowboys

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Everyone in the local media talked about it. They didn't get along at all. Why do you think Callahan wanted out so badly?

And yes, Linehan wasn't the only reason we went 12-4. The defense was better, too. But it was better partly because we ran the ball, which Garrett never did. Linehan is the one who stopped the predictable "kill, kill" to pass plays. He's the one who put in checks to other run plays. He's the one who got to Tony to stick with the run. Even Troy and other commentators talked about it during games.

I know you're probably going to say that Garrett wanted to do all that before, but he just couldn't. He ran the offense for seven years and things suddenly change greatly... But the new OC doesn't get the credit?

Also, marked.
He's senile about a lot of things, but he right about this. There's no reason (or excuse) for this to not be a good team unless they just have a horrendous rash of injuries to guys they cant replace.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I've given credit to Linehan constantly, I was one of the few who was happy about the hire here, remember?

As for the kill kill thing with Romo, he still does it, albeit it not as much. He was still doing it last yr in camp and veteran defensive players complained about it. Romo earned the right over the yrs to audible in ways he seemed fit (as virtually all quality veteran QB's do). Its also why I have never complained much about "play calling" because it was CLEAR Romo was changing a lot of those play calls.

Now should the OC or HC have intervened more to hone that in, maybe. Although when your QB, WR's and TE's are yr in and yr out the teams' best players, having them NOT throw the ball or throw it a lot less is NOT "maximizing" the talent you have. The fact is this was not a very good/strong OL for several years. It is now, and that's one of the reasons they leaned on the run more last yr (along with the probable lack of faith in the defense and questions about Romo's health)

You guys all complained that Linehan was a pass happy hack when Garrett hired him, then all of the sudden he changed his MO to be a run the ball more guy? You think he decided that all on his own, or was it an organization decision?

Come on.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
More random speculation. Throwing more shit at the wall. Callahan wasn’t any better at calling plays and didn’t understand that Garrett wanted to run the ball more. Linehan understood that when he was hired and stuck to it.
Then blame the people who said it, not me. I may not like Garrett, but I don't make up lies about him. I just report what I hear on too-much DFW sports talk. He manufactures enough crap that nobody needs to do that for him. Todd Archer himself, one of Garrett's biggest fans, even admitted Garrett never wanted to give up playcalling.

Also, from the Giants last year with the new OC:

Dallas Cowboys Blog

Giants praise Cowboys’ revamped offense: ‘Their scheme is a lot better’

Michael Florek / Staff Writer Follow @michaelflorek Email mflorek@dallasnews.com
Published: October 19, 2014 8:36 pm

“We bottled him up, bottled him up and then he had five or six breakout runs, getting on the edge a whole lot,” Giants safety Antrel Rolle said. “We understand what kind of runner we’re dealing with. He’s a hard runner, he’s a patient runner and he’s doing his job so far.

Their scheme is a lot better. They’re finding matchups and they’re attacking.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Story I heard was that Norv didn't want to come back here, that he preferred Minny where he knew he'd truly get to run his own show.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ahh yes, the old Zone debate tactic...

Show me proof of exactly who said what, the exact time they said it, and what color shirt they were wearing. If you can't, it didn't happen!!!!

Reaction score
@DMN_George: The Dallas Cowboys Waived/Injured T Cody Clay (Azusa Pacific) and signed DT Carlif Taylor (Southern Connecticut State) on Friday.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Hell no. He's slower than every safety we have on our roster and would be required to play deep. No thanks.

Slow isn't his problem. He's probably faster than 90 percent of our roster.

Turning his hips and reading plays is his kryptonite.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Slow isn't his problem. He's probably faster than 90 percent of our roster.

Turning his hips and reading plays is his kryptonite.

I meant slower to react. Which is key for a deep/free safety.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
McFadden is the 2nd team RB. McClain is suspended the first 4 games and may not be the starter when (or if) he even returns.

Both guys are being counted on to contribute in a big way. McClain's true colors are starting to show. The only thing that situation tells me is that Garrett is not involved. It's all lip service......

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He's a box safety. I don't know how much damage he did when he was upset with Pete Carroll for not drafting him, but if a team used him the way Seattle uses Kam Chancellor, he might be decent. Seattle could use him now with Chancellor holding out.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why do you idiots keep repeating this? It’s like the human centipede. Eating and repeating each others shit. The first year Garret gave up his play calling they went 8-8.

What year was that? No matter what folks show you (and there's a ton out there) you just won't change your mind. You just can't be honest about the situation.

Reaction score
what position would mays play

he is no barry church and he doesnt have the range to replace wilcox

Top Bottom