sbk92

Reaction score
I'd say the Cowboys have two LTs on their roster. One with NFL starting ability. One with backup/swing tackle ability.

No RT to speak of. Unless you see Sam Young as a future starter. Good luck with that.

Reaction score
Considering Free has already proven he can play RT effectively... I don't see what the discussion is all about.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Considering Free has already proven he can play RT effectively... I don't see what the discussion is all about.

That's a very valid point.

Doug Free is 320lbs.

Off the top of my head I don't know of a defensive end who out-weighs him.

And yep he played well at RT.

And there was one statistical service who considered him one of the best run-blocking LT's in the game last season.

Someone may not like this, but Smith & Free will be the starting offensive tackles for the next several seasons.

sbk92

Reaction score
There was a statistical service that considered Roy Williams a better receiver in 2010 than Miles Austin. WGAS?

Doug Free is a LT. But not a franchise quality one. If Tyron Smith even halfway reaches his potential, he's a much better player than Free.

If I ran this team, Free would be playing somewhere else in 2011. No way would I sign him to a rich free agent deal. Wouldn't even entertain the thought. That's got bad contract written all over it.

Reaction score
If you ran this team, you'd be everything and worse that you accuse Jerry Jones of being.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd say the Cowboys have two LTs on their roster. One with NFL starting ability. One with backup/swing tackle ability.

No RT to speak of. Unless you see Sam Young as a future starter. Good luck with that.

Like I said- douche bag.

Not sure what your disdain of Doug Free is for. the guy is a good player thats proven himself at two different OL position. If the Eagles developed a guy like that from within you'd be praising him and the organization left and right.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He's got an ego bigger than anyone I've ever come accross on the internet. And he think's he's a flawless talent evaluator and football guy, besides being nothing more than a forum poster.

Trent Cole > DeMarcus Ware

sbk92

Reaction score
Like I said- douche bag.

Not sure what your disdain of Doug Free is for. the guy is a good player thats proven himself at two different OL position. If the Eagles developed a guy like that from within you'd be praising him and the organization left and right.

Oh stop with this Eagles nonsense you sissy homer. If Doug Free played in Dallas, Philadelphia, Washington or wherever....my opinion of him wouldn't change. That's the difference between you and I. You judge things by the helmets. I don't.

Free's a decent LT. Not good enough. Tyron Smith walks in here twice the player. The Cowboys agree or they would have never used a top 10 pick on an offensive tackle. They won't say it and bury the player, but pay attention to their actions.

Now you could say just move the inferior Free to RT. But he's not a RT. You want a roadgrader there, ideally.

If he had another year on his contract I'd want to just play him there until we can find a guy with talent. But since he's probably an unrestricted free agent, I wouldn't consider making a long term pricey investment on a ham and egger like Free. You have to be selective when inking those big mega deals. We already have too many bad contracts to deal with.

You can't look at it objectively. Because you're in full blown hero worship of whatever the current state of the Cowboys is. Rewind three years and you'd be homering out on the Wade Phillips led team. It's just what you do.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh stop with this Eagles nonsense you sissy homer. If Doug Free played in Dallas, Philadelphia, Washington or wherever....my opinion of him wouldn't change. That's the difference between you and I. You judge things by the helmets. I don't.

Free's a decent LT. Not good enough. Tyron Smith walks in here twice the player. The Cowboys agree or they would have never used a top 10 pick on an offensive tackle. They won't say it and bury the player, but pay attention to their actions.

Now you could say just move the inferior Free to RT. But he's not a RT. You want a roadgrader there, ideally.

If he had another year on his contract I'd want to just play him there until we can find a guy with talent. But since he's probably an unrestricted free agent, I wouldn't consider making a long term pricey investment on a ham and egger like Free. You have to be selective when inking those big mega deals. We already have too many bad contracts to deal with.

You can't look at it objectively. Because you're in full blown hero worship of whatever the current state of the Cowboys is. Rewind three years and you'd be homering out on the Wade Phillips led team. It's just what you do.

Speaking of worthless reads

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This whole idea of the RT is supposed to be a grader and the LT is supposed to be the athletic guy who can move his feet is b/s now in todays league.

Just get the two best guys out there. If Smith shows in TC and preseason he can handle LT, then you put him there from day one. If it looks like he might struggle some, then start him at RT and leave Free at LT. We already know Free can play either position quite well.

I think Houck and Garrett both said they were going to look at Smith at both positions.

Indeed it is. In today's NFL, both OTs are basically being required to play at either spot. sbk's problem with Free is that Parcells didn't pick him, otherwise he'd be singing Free's praises.

Reaction score
The best punter > the best CB.

The "Great" DeSean Jackson > any receiver in this division.

Seriously its sad when one idiot ruins an entire thread now.

As for LT, I think most realize that Free did a damn good job at the position last season, so its really up to our coaching staff and Smith's development. As some already said, if he proves that he can handle the job right off the bat, then that's great. If not, we should be more than happy to give him a year or two at RT and Free will still do a very good job for us at LT. Either way we now have 2 very good bookend tackles for the forseeable future. Great start to fixing our OL problems.

sbk92

Reaction score
Yes, Free did such a great job that his own team burned a top 10 pick in the draft on his replacement.

Stellar job there, kid.

Reaction score
Overwhelming bulk doesn't mean you're a good run blocker.

Quickness, leverage and tenacity are very important.

Truth.. Big Davis is probably the guy with the most "bulk" on our OL.. and i think we all saw how bad he was trying to run block last year. If you can't move, you arn't an effective run blocker.

Everyone who is 300 lbs plus and plays in the NFL has plenty of strength and outweighs anyone on defense. Bulk isn't the issue. Quckness to get to the correct blocks is much more important, as is leverage to sustain the blocks and tenacity/intensity to keep doing it down after down.

Reaction score
Yes, Free did such a great job that his own team burned a top 10 pick in the draft on his replacement.

Stellar job there, kid.

How many sacks/pressures did he allow last year again? Oh yea.. don't let facts get in the way of your arguments though.

"Back up ability". lol Troll on..

Top Bottom