sbk92

Reaction score
I know Mel and Gruden were adamant when the pick was made that Tyron was not an NFL right tackle. Not a roadgrader. Not the guy you want on the strong side of your run game.

Then again, neither is Free. We don't have a true RT on this roster other than Sam Young. And he's truly a JAG.

But LT is clearly Smith's natural pro position. Would you throw him to the wolves this year?

Initially I balked at the idea. Never start a rookie at LT when you feel you can contend that season. But I'm not so sure that Tyron can't be the exception to the rule. You can always help him chipping. It stands to reason he'd struggle more on the right side facing the bigger stronger end. Putting him on the left allows him to showcase his strengths. Movement and agility.

Of course all this goes out the window if there isn't a camp and preseason, but if there is, I think I might lean toward making the switch now.

C

Cr122

I've said this before and I think Smith will eventually man the blindside.

I'm sure he'll get his fair share of playing time throughout the TC and preseason if we have one.

To answer this question though I would be down with Smith at LT and Free playing RT.

This is how I would like to see our offensive line come the start of the season, although I think Free will start at LT and Smith at RT.

Tyron Smith, Logan Mankins, Andre Gurode, David Arkin, Doug Free.

But I'm sure it will look like this, which is what I don't want.

Doug Free, Kyle Kosier, Andre Gurode, Leonard Davis, Tyron Smith.

sbk92

Reaction score
I think Arkin needs a year in an NFL weight room before being a factor.

He struggled some at the senior bowl with the step up in class. I'd imagine we'd see the same if there is a camp this year.

C

Cr122

Then we're stuck with Holland and Bright to fill the void.

I'd take my chances because I don't want Davis starting this year.

sbk92

Reaction score
I think for just this year, Davis is probably our best option to start.

Hopefully in 2012 Arkin can challenge for it. Or we can bring in somebody who can.

sbk92

Reaction score
I don't know that you can evaluate Smith without playing him at LT. His skill set is a natural fit there. How he fares at RT doesn't tell you much about the kind of LT he can be.

Reaction score
The same way you do anyone else. You judge by what they show you in practice, scrimmages, and pre-season games.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I think the whole "road-grader" thing at RT is passe'.

Defensive ends are getting smaller and smaller... relying on speed rather than brute strength to rush the passer, meaning you don't need a 330lb right tackle. The guy has to be able to move and use leverage. I think Free or Smith can be effective right tackles for a long time to come.

sbk92

Reaction score
I think the whole "road-grader" thing at RT is passe'.

Defensive ends are getting smaller and smaller... relying on speed rather than brute strength to rush the passer, meaning you don't need a 330lb right tackle. The guy has to be able to move and use leverage. I think Free or Smith can be effective right tackles for a long time to come.

I disagree.

Your RT needs to be your best run blocker. Or at least really good at it. Smith has none of the attributes to be an effective RT for a long time in the NFL. Neither does Free, actually.

But I understand what's going on. The Cowboys don't have one. So pretend you don't need one. If they had two, we'd pretend the league is all about it. Can't live without it.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Overwhelming bulk doesn't mean you're a good run blocker.

Quickness, leverage and tenacity are very important.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This whole idea of the RT is supposed to be a grader and the LT is supposed to be the athletic guy who can move his feet is b/s now in todays league.

Just get the two best guys out there. If Smith shows in TC and preseason he can handle LT, then you put him there from day one. If it looks like he might struggle some, then start him at RT and leave Free at LT. We already know Free can play either position quite well.

I think Houck and Garrett both said they were going to look at Smith at both positions.

sbk92

Reaction score
This whole idea of the RT is supposed to be a grader and the LT is supposed to be the athletic guy who can move his feet is b/s now in todays league.

Just get the two best guys out there. If Smith shows in TC and preseason he can handle LT, then you put him there from day one. If it looks like he might struggle some, then start him at RT and leave Free at LT. We already know Free can play either position quite well.

I think Houck and Garrett both said they were going to look at Smith at both positions.

Oh, look. The team mascot has something to say. I wonder if it's in support of the Cowboys.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I disagree.

Your RT needs to be your best run blocker. Or at least really good at it. Smith has none of the attributes to be an effective RT for a long time in the NFL. Neither does Free, actually.

But I understand what's going on. The Cowboys don't have one. So pretend you don't need one. If they had two, we'd pretend the league is all about it. Can't live without it.

There's no reason the RT needs to be the best run blocker. On alot of teams the LT is just flat out a better player, and he run blocks better than the guy on the other side.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh, look. The team mascot has something to say. I wonder if it's in support of the Cowboys.

Oh look, the board douche bag chiming in with another opinion that doesnt make any sense any longer.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
lol

Yeah, bulk doesn't help you in the run game at all.

Tell us more, Mikey.

How many probowls did Aaron Gibson make at RT? How many people ever confused him with a good run blocker? he had has much "bulk" as anyone, but couldnt play a lick. On either side.

sbk92

Reaction score
How many probowls did Aaron Gibson make at RT? How many people ever confused him with a good run blocker? he had has much "bulk" as anyone, but couldnt play a lick. On either side.

Wow. That's an outstanding point. A guy with bulk was a bust. So bulk doesn't mean anything.

That has to mean no bust ever had speed. Or speed doesn't mean anything in the NFL either.

sbk92

Reaction score
Oh look, the board douche bag chiming in with another opinion that doesnt make any sense any longer.

lol

Yes. A roadgrading RT for your run game makes no sense any longer.

lol My what people will say to defend their team.

Top Bottom