LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
They did shitty. It happens. Ask Demarco Murray
They had 34 yards
Add that to the 5 game total of 609 and you have 643
Last years total after 6 games 596

Still an increase over last year

There has been a steady constant decline in their rushing game. And while you and the other claim that the numbers show an improvement over last year at about this time, it seems that the first two games were outliers. So does Callahan get the blame for that?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Or what, you're believing what Jerry said about Murray being a cap victim? Clearly he was not.

Nope, I understand the risks in signing a RB coming off the number of carries he had and competing in an open market where one or more teams always seems to lose their mind and overpay. I wanted him back on favorable terms but it made sense to me that the decision wasn't an easy one, especially when they have such an atrocious history of over paying.

I thought the restraint was refreshing. However in retrospect, I cant help but wonder if they should have overpaid. Perhaps Dez & Romo don't get hurt?

I think Dez fucked this up for everyone, had he signed a new contract like he reportedly almost did in 2014, then they would have had the option of franchising Murray for one year.

I suppose it was prudent to use the tag on Dez during negotiations vs Murray but I'm not sure. If they are as good at talent evaluation as some people think, I would have been open to trading Dez for players and picks and using that money and picks to attack the WR position with multiple bullets. I doubt they ever gave this any serious consideration tho

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The problem was nobody believed they were stupid enough to not go after a running back so no one actually believed them when they said it before the draft

If people didn't harp on it too much, they probably would have went after an RB. But they seem intent on defying common sense and what they perceived as the public and media trying to dictate their draft strategy. It wouldn't surprise me to find that they may have altered their draft strategy for that specific reason --- they are that dumb.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Except me of course.

Because I knew the only reason we saw Murray so much, was Tony's back issues and also knew that once they were confident they were going to have a healthy Romo, they were going to revert back to their 8-8 offensive form - 40+ dropbacks for Tony, only 20 or so runs from 3-4 backs.

Part of me thinks that Jerry wouldn't depart from a winning formula. But... he extended Garrett, and I'm of the opinion that Garrett felt he had leverage, and might have made as a condition for his extension that he goes back to the way he had it (8-8).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Callahan's beef was with Garrett, not Jerry. Callahan was Jerry's boy. It was probably his idea to hire Callahan in in the first place.

Exactly. Jason is very defensive of his system and Jerry said that Callahan could bring elements of his system (WCO) in to add to what the Cowboys could do on offense. That was the season that the red zone efficiency improved over all the previous years (and complaints) of Jason's difficulty managing red zone play calling, and Murray had 1200 yards rushing. Jerry then said that by the end of the year, Jason was changing the plays that Callahan was calling (and it was then the third time that last game division collapse kept Dallas out of the playoffs and a third 8-8). It's hard to ignore what Callahan had started there and then continued into last year with the running game. Definitely a threat to the effectiveness of Jason's system - which is a threat to Jason's reputation as a prominent offensive mind - and by the way, Callahan has produced a Super Bowl team, had one year where his team was the NFLs top running team and then the next year where his team was the NFLs top passing team. Last year produced the leagues top running back who was record setting for the league and the team. Jason set a team record for most passing attempts in a season (648) behind an O-line that supposedly was weak, which then led to a record setting number of hits and sacks of Tony Romos career in that season. Really putting his QB and team at risk. The contrast between achievements is kind of stark.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Definitely a threat to the effectiveness of Jason's system - which is a threat to Jason's reputation as a prominent offensive mind - .

That's his reputation...? How so? Sounds like a legend in his own mind.

A number of players --- Ray Lewis being the most prominent publicly stated that the Cowboys' offensive system was the easiest and most predictable in the league.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The Redskins were 19th in rushing last year and they are 9th this year. Their rushing yards per game has increased over last year. So Callahan has made a difference .

As of the time of this posting... the Redskins are ranked #17 in rushing.

Yep. Making a difference.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It's no secret that our offense is predictable. When the announcers are calling it predictable on national tv as its happening it's time to rethink your strategy

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't think the front office gives two shits about public opinion. If they had Carrot top would be gone and DM would still be our featured RB

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I don't think the front office gives two shits about public opinion. If they had Carrot top would be gone and DM would still be our featured RB
We KNOW Jerruh doesn't. I have a sound clip I posted before, where he berates a radio caller who complained about the lack of success, and asked Jerry to step down as GM and get a football man in here. Jerry was like "Wait, did you like three super bowls? Did you like three super bowls? Okay then" and they hung up on the caller.

Jerry stopped taking any calls when he is on the air, after that.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
My point was dbair that if the front office really cared about public opinion they would have signed DM no matter what it cost because the public opinion was so strong to keep him .

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
My point was dbair that if the front office really cared about public opinion they would have signed DM no matter what it cost because the public opinion was so strong to keep him .

Can we all agree that we don't want the front office making player acquisitions based upon public opinion or no?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

actually that's bullshit too because most of the "public" told us for several seasons Murray was a JAG and was overrated

Reaction score
Blaming the OL is bullshit. They've been fine, in fact I've seen protection for Weeden above and beyond the call of duty.

No offensive line in the history of the NFL has ever won a game.

You must have skill players, and right now Dallas has the worst RB talent, the worst WR talent, and the worst QB talent in the division and maybe even the whole league.

They almost certainly have the worst combination of WR/QB/RB in the league.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
actually that's bullshit too because most of the "public" told us for several seasons Murray was a JAG and was overrated

Before last year sure. But after he broke E Smiths single season record ppl were touting him as the next coming of Christ

He had one good year which was a fluke. He will never again have a year with numbers anywhere close to what he did last year. Especially not at PHI

But ppl were crucifying JJ for not signing him and wanting him to give up the farm to keep him

Not here on this forum I'm sure but all over Facebook every fifth update was something to do with Murray which would gamer 1k replies saying please sign DM and franchise tag Dez or visa versa

Top Bottom