Reaction score
I think the front office just didn't place much of a priority on drafting an RB. Had the position been a priority, the team could have traded up or down to get one.

As it is, we are reduced to hoping that a Seattle scrub will save the day.
This. There was no plan except whatever bungled attempt was made for AP and/or relying on Randle as an viable option. Just think that the bozo who ordained Randle, Streets and Williams as the next wave of the offense should be sent back to the football summer camp in New Jersey.
I'm not even certain that there was ever going to be a repeated emphasis on running the ball like with Murray. The main emphasis of the Garrett era has been to gradually reduce the offense to the simple. Unfortunately that means types of formations, play action, etc

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think they were definitely looking at RB in round 4 but the guys they liked got snatched.
Umm, they said both before and after the draft, that drafting a RB was not a priority, and furthermore they said they had what they needed in that area, and liked the guys they had.

They were NOT going to draft a RB. And then, didn't even sign one as a FA immediately after the draft either.

Because they didn't think they needed one.
I think the front office just didn't place much of a priority on drafting an RB.
That's exactly what they kept saying too. It wasn't ant big secret.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The problem was nobody believed they were stupid enough to not go after a running back so no one actually believed them when they said it before the draft

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The problem was nobody believed they were stupid enough to not go after a running back so no one actually believed them when they said it before the draft
Except me of course.

Because I knew the only reason we saw Murray so much, was Tony's back issues and also knew that once they were confident they were going to have a healthy Romo, they were going to revert back to their 8-8 offensive form - 40+ dropbacks for Tony, only 20 or so runs from 3-4 backs.

Murray beasts it due to it being a contract year, Romo stays upright and has his best year ever with fewer dropbacks, and we go 12-4. But Tony coming back this year with a ostensibly healed back made Murray expendable.

The cadre here called me a nut, and so on. Vile and vulgar things were said.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Umm, they said both before and after the draft, that drafting a RB was not a priority, and furthermore they said they had what they needed in that area, and liked the guys they had.
Because they didn't think they needed one.That's exactly what they kept saying too. It wasn't ant big secret.

Rigth Dooms, that's why they wasted every rookie visit they had on RB's

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Rigth Dooms, that's why they wasted every rookie visit they had on RB's
Yeah we went through this before. They still said what they said there's no disputing it. Then they did what they did, which was to stand pat and draft NO RBs and not sign ANY FA ones immediately. It doesn't make one fuck whatsoever who they invited in pre-draft. It matters what they fucking said and then what they fucking did.

Because it's as they said - RB was NOT a priority for them. Get it through your thick skull.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah we went through this before. They still said what they said there's no disputing it. Then they did what they did, which was to stand pat and draft NO RBs and not sign ANY FA ones immediately. It doesn't make one fuck whatsoever who they invited in pre-draft. It matters what they fucking said and then what they fucking did.

Because it's as they said - RB was NOT a priority for them. Get it through your thick skull.

Drafting the best players available was their priority, get that through your thick skull.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Drafting the best players available was their priority, get that through your thick skull.
Right. They said flat out that drafting a RB was not a priority. Over and over.

Then they didn't draft a RB.

Because they didn't intend to run the ball all that much anyway, with what they thought would be a healthy Romo.

Because they are stupid. They want to win only Jason's way, not the fucking way that actually works.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

What they say is meaningless. They're not gonna come out and say "well, shit...we really hoped to draft or trade for a good RB but now were stuck with a pile of shit"

That doesn't mean you're not onto something, I just don't believe they'd ever come out and say anything that could be construed as negative about the players they have to go to war with. Jerry pumps up everyone, so that means jack shit. Garret gives a political answer which is also meaningless.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
What they say is meaningless. They're not gonna come out and say "well, shit...we really hoped to draft or trade for a good RB but now were stuck with a pile of shit"

That doesn't mean you're not onto something, I just don't believe they'd ever come out and say anything that could be construed as negative about the players they have to go to war with. Jerry pumps up everyone, so that means jack shit. Garret gives a political answer which is also meaningless.
But then when the results match what they said, it does have meaning.

They were making a point of it and going out of their way to say it.

They had NO intention of spending a draft pick on a RB.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I just don't believe they'd ever come out and say anything that could be construed as negative about the players they have to go to war with.
Other than, how Weeden is "limited" and so on?

Jerry is a negative seed gardener.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I started a PHI VS NYG thread to chat about the game in the around the league forum

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
But then when the results match what they said, it does have meaning.

They were making a point of it and going out of their way to say it.

They had NO intention of spending a draft pick on a RB.

No it doesn't, it just fits what you believe so now you value what they say. Surely you didn't think the Cowboys were gonna win the Super Bowl every time jerri started spouted off in preseason of years past?

You've constructed a scenario where the only way they could show they valued the running back is to have drafted, signed a free agent or traded for one even though events might have taken place that prevented it from occurring at the right price for the right player.

* They might have wanted to sign Murray back until Philly overpaid (there is a cap and it does matter). Had they signed him at all costs and he shit the bed like he has in Philly, I suspect you and everyone else (me included) would be going ballistic over overpaying him.

* They might have wanted to draft one in the 2nd round but then Gregory fell (if their board is good, should they ignore it and draft a lower ranked RB or take a player of need that is ranked much higher than any available RB?)

* They might have wanted a specific back in the 3rd round but maybe all the backs they valued were gone by the time their pick came up (Duke Johnson, Tevin Coleman & David Johnson were all drafted before our pick in the 3rd round......they could have drafted Matt Jones or Jeremy Langford though)

So all I've done is speculate as well. No one here knows what goes on behind closed doors at the ranch, we're all stuck trying to read between the lines and guess.

It may be like you say, it might not, there's no way for us to know with certainty unless we had a mole in the building or someone came out and starting talking.

I'd love to have a candid conversation with Callahan, seems like he has a bone to pick with the Cowboys and would enlighten folks on some of the BS that takes place with the Cowboys and I do think there is some fucked up reasoning and decision making going on and always will be as long as jerri is large and "in charge".

I'm not saying you're wrong with your conclusions, I'm just not buying your certainty or your reasoning. I know nothing I just said will change your opinion, nor is that my goal, I'm just spit-balling to offer a different possibility while trying to glean the truth from what little info we have.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Other than, how Weeden is "limited" and so on?

Jerry is a negative seed gardener.

Lol, he also said Weeden threw the prettiest ball he's ever seen...jerri is insane, I never put any stock in what comes out of that jack asses mouth but if you want to hang your hat on his words, have at it

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You've constructed a scenario where the only way they could show they valued the running back is to have drafted, signed a free agent or traded for one even though events might have taken place that prevented it from occurring at the right price for the right player.
No. That's not my premise at all.

The premise is simple and the facts bear it out.

I believed they had no intention of featuring the running game this year like they did last year, because last year was due to Tony's back issues. Otherwise you don't let Murray leave, you franchise him instead and make him play under the tag, and you deal in a more friendly way with Dez.

As soon as Murray left, is when I knew for sure what they were planning.

Then they started saying drafting a RB was not a priority. Of course it isn't, when you don't plan on featuring the run or relying on it for even half your snaps. The backs they have are fine for the limited touches they had planned for them. And that is pretty much what they were saying - not just Jerry, but Stephen and Redball as well.

Then, true to their word for a change, they didn't draft a RB. Like i predicted they wouldn't. I didn't base this on what they said at all, i based it on what I think these doofus idiots really are. Doofus idiots.
No it doesn't, it just fits what you believe so now you value what they say.
I only value what they say when they then turn around and do it. It's case by case, don't play the straw card of trying to assert I believe what they say. I believe it when i see it, case by case.
I never put any stock in what comes out of that jack asses mouth but if you want to hang your hat on his words, have at it
And I am not, see the above.

Meanwhile, for anyone at this point to keep trying to argue that Dallas really wanted to draft a RB, but none they wanted fell to them, is just stubbornness. If they really wanted a RB, they had one and could have kept him relatively cheaply. Barring that, they had every chance to draft one out of this excellent class of RBs the draft had, and sign one of them to a cheap rookie deal too..

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
They might have wanted to sign Murray back until Philly overpaid (there is a cap and it does matter).
If they wanted to keep him, he would have been a LOT cheaper to franchise than the WR is. He would have fit under the cap quite nicely.

Or what, you're believing what Jerry said about Murray being a cap victim? Clearly he was not.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I believed they had no intention of featuring the running game this year like they did last year

I'm well aware of that and you interpret everything they do and say in light of this belief.

Who knows, you might be right, your opinion is noted

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Callahan's beef was with Garrett, not Jerry. Callahan was Jerry's boy. It was probably his idea to hire Callahan in in the first place.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm well aware of that and you interpret everything they do and say in light of this belief.

Who knows, you might be right, your opinion is noted
Hey look Man, that opinion is based on the aberration of suddenly we have a 400 carry back. Out of nowhere. Why?

It wasn't a sudden Epiphany Redball had, or a sudden change in his core philosophy, he didn't start suddenly believing that "Hey you know if we feature the run and have one dominant feature back, we can play ball control and protect our lousy defense!"

It was, "Well shit, Tony's back is still fucked up, he's having to re-learn everything including getting in and out of bed, and that shit is still TENDER. We need to limit his risk somehow."

Smart guy in the room (Probably Callahan) says, "How about we just run the fucking baaaaaalllll"

After the season, this wasn't a priority anymore because they believed Tony's back would be all better, and "we can get back to our 65/35 pass/run ratio we've run every year I've been here!"

The aberration of a 400 carry back under Redball is where my premise comes from. And the fact we all know, Redball doesn't prefer a run-first philosophy.

And that's exactly why Callahan and Murray aren't here anymore.

Top Bottom