dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
on a serious note.

how does this affect albright. I think he is a good player. Ernie simms will have a natural fit now.

and is dan connor going to be released? he doesnt seem like a very good fit.

Albright might have a chance as a strongside OLB. Moves pretty well and can play in space and be physical vs the run.

Also, alot of teams that play the 4-3 have found guys in the draft in the middle to late rounds that can play that position pretty quick. It isnt a critical position or difficult to learn, and typically they are off the field on every passing down anyway.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Albright might have a chance as a strongside OLB. Moves pretty well and can play in space and be physical vs the run.

Also, alot of teams that play the 4-3 have found guys in the draft in the middle to late rounds that can play that position pretty quick. It isnt a critical position or difficult to learn, and typically they are off the field on every passing down anyway.

Correct

Teams needs more pass rushers...and safeties

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Galloway on Sean Payton today:

Is told there was absolutely interest on both sides, but

-- Sean had decided that he could control Jerry but as time went on he grew more doubtful

-- Even more, Jerry didn't want to pay. Galloway says the way he hears it, Jerry actually laughed about it with Sean and told him that if that man in NO will pay you 8 mil a year, you better go take it.

:suicide

Pretty sure I'd take anything Galloway said with a grain of salt. Always kinda did anyway, but after his fiasco the other day with the raging assistant who had to be restrained and consoled at VR, when in fact nobody was at VR makes him pretty much garbage now in my book.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
what if we hire garretts dad as the special teams coach so kiffin has someone to talk about the old days with on the plane?

dont laugh, anythings possible.

Can't do it. Along with Kiffin, Jerry is giving himself the title of "historical consultant" so talking about the good ol' days is now his job as well.

Fits though, might as well talk about the time period you live in and I don't think he's moved on from the mid 1990s yet. Also fits because you might as well have the guy who's revising history or only telling part of the story actually be the guy who's talking about it. Wouldn't want to have any miscommunication and miss out on any of the important and cherry picked positive aspects.

Mr X

Reaction score
Leave it to Jerry to promise changes and hire the fucking crypt keeper to run the defense.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Fisher saying almost a done deal for Kiffin:

Sources: Cowboys close to hiring Monte Kiffin

ARCHIVE | EMAIL
Mike Fisher is an award-winning newspaper journalist, the author of two regional best-selling books (with forewords written by Jerry Jones and Troy Aikman), with 20 years of covering the Dallas Mavericks and the Dallas Cowboys.

January 10, 2013

IRVING, Texas — Monte Kiffin quietly entered the Dallas Cowboys' team headquarters at Valley Ranch at 7:45 a.m. CT on Thursday.

He was accompanied by head coach Jason Garrett, and spent the day at the facility discussing with owner Jerry Jones and staff the likelihood being hired as the team's new defensive coordinator, sources tell Dallas radio station 105.3 The Fan.

Just two days after Rob Ryan's firing — and two days after having a "short list'' with multiple names on it — the Cowboys have narrowed their search with a focus on the 72-year-old Kiffin, known for his mastery of the 4-3 defense and his creation of what's come to be called the "Tampa 2.''

The Cowboys' base defense under Ryan was a 3-4. They played some 4-3 last season, so the adjustment is not considered to be a full facelift. The Tampa 2 is about zone coverage and the team thinks there is also a fit there in terms of personnel.

Sources told 105.3 The Fan on Tuesday that the Cowboys planned to make a "dynamic'' hire. Kiffin's resume qualifies.

Kiffin's Buccaneers defenses were annually among the NFL leaders. In 2012, he coached at USC under his son Lane Kiffin.

The Cowboys are expected to move quickly — so quickly that the patience for and interest in other candidates like Ray Horton and Lovie Smith is in question.

"Why hire guys who learned the 4-3 from Kiffin when you can just hire Kiffin himself?'' one source said.

Another factor may be Kiffin's lack of head-coaching ambition. If Horton or Lovie become high-profile assistants and succeed, their term in Dallas would be short term. Kiffin has long been committed to being a defensive coordinator only.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
They're have to wait until tomorrow to do it.

It's 6:30 on the west coast and Kiffin is already in bed.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
They're have to wait until tomorrow to do it.

It's 6:30 on the west coast and Kiffin is already in bed.

Kiffin: Hey you kids! Get off my lawn!

Garrett: Um, those are your players, coach, and that's the field, not your lawn.

Kiffin: Oh.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Kiffin: Hey you kids! Get off my lawn!

Garrett: Um, those are your players, coach, and that's the field, not your lawn.

Kiffin: Oh.

Reminds me of a bit from Carlin's last stand up where he talks about getting old. Says it's fun to throw stuff out there just to watch people react so at dinner he'll look around and ask, "who are you people and what have done to my horse"?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Carlos A. Mendez ‏@calexmendez
Sources are talking up Kiffen. Sign that this is as good as done. IMO.

Great job by @NFLCharean tracking down some former Bucs to talk about Kiffin. Now we need a @WarrenSapp weigh-in.

mike fisher ‏@fishsports
#Cowboys source tells me: 'Why hire guys who learned the 4-3 from Kiffin when you can just hire Kiffin himself?’

My USC guy who is not a Kiffin lover concedes that coach worked *** off every day at practice. Teacher, hands-on, big energy. #Cowboys

Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr
Last time Kiffen coached Bucs in 2008. his D had 22 INT"s and 29 sacks. Allowed 20.2 points a game. Only allowed 3 300+ yard

Per a source, Jerry has expressed an interest in getting back to the fundamentals. They don't get more technique oriented than Monte

Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher
I don't see a big switch in a move by Cowboys from 3-4 to 4-3. Was harder to go from 4-3 to 3-4 IMO

Charean Williams ‏@NFLCharean
I covered Monte Kiffin 4 years when he was DC of the Bucs under Dungy. Defense ranked top 10 in points all but 1 yr. in his 13 there

I have never been around a more enthusiastic coach than Kiffin. He and Jerome Henderson would hit it off.

Rafael Vela ‏@CowboysNation1
From stories today it appears Ray Horton is being held to the 1 yr on his Cards contract, whether he's HC or DC. Dallas not getting shot

Bob Sturm ‏@SportsSturm
I must admit, on the Mt Rushmore of modern day defensive minds, Monte Kiffin is prominently displayed. Few have caused the chaos he has.

He is proven and decorated. Gave the Favre-Packers bigger fits than anyone in NFC-C days. Wonder if the fire burns bright. If so, not bad.

Top Bottom