Reaction score
I'm saying that in 2011, the core of the team will comprise primarily of players acquired post-Parcells.

I have to disagree then. The core of this team is still Romo, Witten, Austin, Ware, Ratliff, James, Newman.. these guys are all still great players who are the leaders of this team.

Reaction score
I have to disagree then. The core of this team is still Romo, Witten, Austin, Ware, Ratliff, James, Newman.. these guys are all still great players who are the leaders of this team.

Romo, Ratliff, and Witten, I'll grant you.

Ware wouldn't even be on this team if Parcells had his way. Explained in the first post.

Austin isn't even this teams best receiver - that's Dez, already. Even still, Austin was discovered by John Garrett, and came here in Parcells last year. He was developed by Ray Sherman, and didn't emerge until 2009. Not giving Parcells credit for that.

Bradie is clearly on the decline, and was never a great player to begin with.

Same with Newman. And again, Newman is a player Parcells didn't want. Not going to give him credit for him.

You ask me who I think the core of the 2011 team is, and I'll tell you it's yet to be determined. It's a safe bet that Ware, Romo, Witten, and Ratliff will be some of our best players... but new leaders could emerge. New players could prove to have a considerable impact.

We won't realistically know the "core" of the team until 8 to 10 weeks into the season. These will be the unsung heroes, as well as the go to guys. Potentially the Anthony Spencers, Mike Jenkins, John Phillips, Sean Lee's, Danny McCrary on special teams, etc etc etc.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Romo, Ratliff, and Witten, I'll grant you.

Ware wouldn't even be on this team if Parcells had his way. Explained in the first post.

Austin isn't even this teams best receiver - that's Dez, already. Even still, Austin was discovered by John Garrett, and came here in Parcells last year. He was developed by Ray Sherman, and didn't emerge until 2009. Not giving Parcells credit for that.

Bradie is clearly on the decline, and was never a great player to begin with.

Same with Newman. And again, Newman is a player Parcells didn't want. Not going to give him credit for him.

You ask me who I think the core of the 2011 team is, and I'll tell you it's yet to be determined. It's a safe bet that Ware, Romo, Witten, and Ratliff will be some of our best players... but new leaders could emerge. New players could prove to have a considerable impact.

We won't realistically know the "core" of the team until 8 to 10 weeks into the season. These will be the unsung heroes, as well as the go to guys. Potentially the Anthony Spencers, Mike Jenkins, John Phillips, Sean Lee's, Danny McCrary on special teams, etc etc etc.

Let's replace those 3 BP guys with:

1. Ex baseball player at QB.
2. Brandon Noble part two
3. Tony McGee part 2

Again, it goes back to what you consider the "core".

How many core players were we working with before BP put his stamp on this team?

Like it or not, we got a franchise type QB, a player that would be even more dominant at his natural position of DE, and a HOF'er at TE.

Those players make up the core of this team and will forever be associated with BP.

I agree that going forward this is Jason's team, Jason's players. He'll have to whip them back into working condition.

Still doesn't change the fact that if you took away BPs contributions, this team would be a wreck.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Also, I understand the point of 2011 is yet to be played out. We don't know the storylines.

Still, I don't know many teams that have pretty much the same core of vets and totally transform their identity over a year.

Same ole same ole. Romo/Witten is your core on offense, maybe you could say Austin. Bryant if he stays healthy and out of the papers. Ware/Ratliff on defense. Some may consider Brady James or T-New core players. I don't.

Reaction score
Let's replace those 3 BP guys with:

1. Ex baseball player at QB.
2. Brandon Noble part two
3. Tony McGee part 2

Wait! You mean to tell me we had garbage on our team back in 2000-2003? Wow... thanks for the newsflash.

It's almost as though we were in cap hell and had a horrible personell department.

Again, it goes back to what you consider the "core".

Good point.

Perhaps I should have covered that.

Oh wait... I did. Twice.

How many core players were we working with before BP put his stamp on this team?

Wait! You mean to tell me we had garbage on our team back in 2000-2003? Wow... thanks for the newsflash.

It's almost as though we were in cap hell and had a horrible personell department.

Like it or not, we got a franchise type QB,

Discovered by Sean Payton. Developed by David Lee.

Did you read the first post?

a player that would be even more dominant at his natural position of DE,

Who wouldn't even be on the roster if Parcells had complete control of that 2005 draft.

and a HOF'er at TE.

By the grace of God he fell to us.

Those players make up the core of this team and will forever be associated with BP.

Three players make up the core of a football team?

That's it?

Reaction score
This is the problem.. some want to give BP too much credit.. and others will debate every single point you make as to why it wasn't BP's doing.

Few in this debate have looked at things logically.. which makes it fruitless to continue on.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score

Good point.

Oh wait... I did. Twice.

Who wouldn't even be on the roster if Parcells had complete control of that 2005 draft.

That's it?

Two things.

1. Salary cap effects FA, not the draft. You build through the draft. Before Bill Parcells walked through the front door, we had Darren Woodson, an ancient Emmitt Smith and Larry Allen. That was it. How long ago were they drafted? Bill kept a talent around in Romo that Jerry all but threw a fit about going into his first start. Without Bill, Romo had no future in Dallas. Same goes with Ratliff and Witten. Regardless of how we got Witten, we got him. Instead of saying it was a great draft pick by one guy, let's just say it was a miracle that the 31 guys passed him over twice too? I don't know about that.

2. Your definition of "core" is not my definition of "core". I'm not saying mine is right. I think of core players as the type you would build around. I wouldn't build my offense or defense around any other players on my team besides the 4-6 that I mentioned.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Maybe I'm having a hard time separating franchise and core from one another. If role players are included, then sure, you can have a group of 15-20 players that make up the core of your team.

Reaction score
Maybe I'm having a hard time separating franchise and core from one another. If role players are included, then sure, you can have a group of 15-20 players that make up the core of your team.

You arn't having a hard time. The bottom line is this..

Ask any Cowboys fan on the street who the core players of this team are.

The answers you'll get most often will be Romo, Witten, James, Ratliff, Ware, Newman, Austin.

They are the core of this team and have been for years. They are the leaders. Its clear.

Its also clear that they all came to this team during the BP era. He set this franchise up for success. Period.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
You arn't having a hard time. The bottom line is this..

Ask any Cowboys fan on the street who the core players of this team are.

The answers you'll get most often will be Romo, Witten, James, Ratliff, Ware, Newman, Austin.

They are the core of this team and have been for years. They are the leaders. Its clear.

Its also clear that they all came to this team during the BP era. He set this franchise up for success. Period.

I do not post much but I think this is a great post. You have to decide who brought in the best players.

It was not Wade Phillips. It was not Jerry Jones. I was disappointed Parcells could not win more but if he did not get hired, I shudder to think where we would be. It is not just the players but the structure he provided to a crumbling franchise.

Reaction score
I do not post much but I think this is a great post. You have to decide who brought in the best players.

It was not Wade Phillips. It was not Jerry Jones. I was disappointed Parcells could not win more but if he did not get hired, I shudder to think where we would be. It is not just the players but the structure he provided to a crumbling franchise.

Thank you my man. Excellent point here yourself about the structure he gave this franchise.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If you look at it like a doofus.. its still over .500.

If you look at it for what it is.. its 3 winning seasons out of 4 with two playoff births after years of getting nowhere near there with this franchise.

Sorry, but just getting back to mediocre wasnt my hope when we hired a HOF coach and paid him 18 mils for 4yrs...

I think they could have rehired Barry Switzer and probably gotten a similar type record over those 4yrs...now they might not have accumulated the same amount or types of talented players, but they werent going to stay 5-11 forever

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I doubt many would debate that Parcells did a good job re-assembling a quality talent base.

But he was not a good HC here, he was a mediocre one. He turned out to be a liability on game days.

He was a far better GM for those 4 yrs than he was a HC, it isnt even debatable IMO.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I doubt many would debate that Parcells did a good job re-assembling a quality talent base.

But he was not a good HC here, he was a mediocre one. He turned out to be a liability on game days.

He was a far better GM for those 4 yrs than he was a HC, it isnt even debatable IMO.

Mediocre HCs don't have the patience to sit Romo for 2 years when posters like you scream to have him play a meaningless half a game.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Sorry, but just getting back to mediocre wasnt my hope when we hired a HOF coach and paid him 18 mils for 4yrs...

I think they could have rehired Barry Switzer and probably gotten a similar type record over those 4yrs...now they might not have accumulated the same amount or types of talented players, but they werent going to stay 5-11 forever

It's because you have unrealistic expectations. Parcells was brought here to bring a jolt to the franchise, and he did, bottomline.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Wanted to address this post better than I was able to do from my phone.

We had a piss poor team because of the guy, who at the time, you were behind. Jerry Jones. Somebody was brought in to fix that mess. He had tits and white/yellow hair. He did so by going away from what Jones had been doing for years. Poor talent evaluation and drafting. Salary cap hell is a nice crutch, but I think most know that you build your team through the draft.

Good point.

Oh wait... I did. Twice.

Again, I know what you consider "core", that's why I made mention of it depends on what someone believes the core really is. I wasn't saying that it depends on what you think it is, I was talking in general.

Again, the salary cap is a poor excuse for why the team was in the state it was in. It goes back to why BP was hired in the first place. Fixing the house that Jerry tore down once the superstars from the 90s started hitting the wall.

He never tried to draft a replacement for Aikman, Emmitt, or Irvin while they were in their twilight years. His mistake.

The salary cap played a small role in the grand scheme of what happened to the franchise.

Kinda ignored the part where I gave Parcells credit for how he handled Romo, didntya? I never said that BP gets all the credit for signing him as a FA. I said he would have had no future in Dallas had BP not known how to handle him.

Remember? I referenced Jerry not liking the Bledsoe benching in favor of Romo? Jerry had no idea WTF he was watching at practice.

Thank you Bill. Thanks for making sure that guy had a roster spot.

Not sure what you're talking about. Ratliff is who I was talking about.

Bill and Jerry weren't the only idiots that passed over him in rounds 1 and 2. I guess we'll start labeling late round gems miracles from now on. Couldn't be that every other team in the NFL passed over him because they thought there were better players available.

Nah, couldn't be.

That's it?

I mentioned in another post, it depends on how someone defines the word core. I obviously define it differently than you do. So we can disagree on that forever. I said my core guys would be the ones I'd build my offense or defense around.

I wouldn't do that with role players, I'd do that with superstar type players.

Maybe you think core players are role players too. I don't.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
lol

..and that's why i rarely pay attention to your posts.

Fact, Barry Switzer won a super bowl more recently than Bill Parcells has.

Basically you are saying nobody else could have led the Cowboys to a .500 record and no playoff wins in 4 yrs, to me thats just an incredibly stupid and naive belief.

Top Bottom