Reaction score
It's been over 4 years since Parcells had any affiliation with our team - yet, sbk still likes to rant and rave that Parcells built the core of this team.

Lets look at this...

Now, it's only the begining of July. We're still in a lock out. Free agency, training camp, or any trading has yet to take place. Still, I feel I can somewhat accurately determine which Cowboys from the Parcells years (2003-2006) will make the team.

With that in mind... when we go into this 2010 season, we will have likely at least 43 players out of a 53 man roster who have no connection to Parcells whatsoever.

Here's a look at the Cowboys likely to be on the 2011 roster who came in during the Parcells years:

2003 Additions​

Tony Romo - Discovered and brought in by Sean Payton in 2003. Props to Parcells for keeping him around. But Romo himself has gone on record as crediting Payton and former QB coach David Lee for his development.
Terrence Newman - Very good cover corner. This was a Jerry pick. Parcells wanted either Dwayne Robertson (who?) or Kevin Williams.
Jason Witten - Witten carried a first round grade by a lot of teams, and most pundits projected him to the Eagles in the first (who instead opted for LJ Smith). Parcells wanted Al Johnson in the 2nd, but we were fortunate that Witten miraculously fell to us in the third. No-brainer pick.
Bradie James - Solid contributor. Underrated Cowboy. Will likely see his playing time diminish with Sean Lee and Bruce Carter (when healthy) cutting into the rotation.
Matt McBriar - Best punter in the league, IMO. Props to Parcells.

2004 Additions​

None

2005 Additions​

DeMarcus Ware - Arguably our best player, and best defensive player in the league, despite the NFL's Top 100 list. It is well known and documented that Parcells both preferred Merriman over Ware, and when Stephen and Jerry refused to take Merriman, Parcells wanted to get Spears at 11, with the belief that Ware would be available at 20. Therefore, I think it's safe to say Jerry and Stephen deserve all the credit in the world for him being a Cowboy.
Jay Ratliff - Props to Parcells for the find.

2006 Additions​

Kyle Kosier - Solid guard. Good at pulls and sweeps. I'm making an assumption that he'll be resigned.
Miles Austin - Discovered by John Garrett. Signed as an UDFA. Developed under Ray Sherman, and had a break out year in 2009.
Stephen Bowen - Solid DE prospect. Looks like a potential replacement to Spears. Spent most of 2006 on the practice squad. Developed under Wade's coaching staff.

By my guestimation, that is 10 Cowboys who were with the team from 2003-2006, that will remain with the team in 2011. That number could diminish if the likes of Kyle Kosier and/or Stephen Bowen aren't resigned. And yes, I'm operating under the assumption that Spears, Hurd, and Barber have played their last snaps as Cowboys.

Three of the 10 came during Parcells final year with the team. Meaning they've spent the majority of their careers being coached by a different coaching staff. Only a fool would even attempt to try and give Parcells credit for their development. Especially considering two of which were undrafted free agents, meaning they needed significant development time.

I give Parcells little to no credit for two of the remaining 10 (Ware & Newman) for the above stated reasons.

The remaining 5 I'll give credit to Parcells.

Furthermore . . . and this might be splitting hairs, but I'd argue that the term "core" is not accurate. The core of a team isn't it's stars. The core is the role players. The steady contributors who produce when called upon. The special teams stand-outs. The guys in the trenches. That is the core of any football team. Once you have that core, then the stars excell.

---
-----
---

This post/thread isn't agenda driven. It isn't started with the intent to tear down Parcells. I can give credit where credit is due. I think Parcells used to be a hell of a coach in the old NFL. I think he used to be able to get guys to run through walls for him. And as a leader, nothing is more important.

I loved the fact that Jerry hired him, and there is no question his impact on the way the Cowboys operate is felt to this day. He certainly deserves some credit for our success . . . but not all of it. Not even most of it.

The team Parcells built wasn't good enough to win. Not during his time here, and not immediately after his departure.

Whatever success the Cowboys have in 2011, the 5th season since Parcells roamed the sidelines, and two coaching regimes removed, will be the result of Jason Garretts efforts, and the efforts of our personnel department.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Wont get much argument from me.

I was absolutely thrilled when we got him, but we didnt get the Parcells from the Giants or Pats, we got the burnout Parcells. He did a good job bringing back credibility to the franchise, but as an actual game day coach he was a liability and IMO he is pretty much the sole reason we lost the Seattle playoff game.

He coined the "you are what your record says you are" thing, and that says he was mediocre here. Barely a .500 record, no division titles, no playoff wins. As the true GM he did alot of good things (as well as some bad) and he deserves credit for that, but he was a mediocre HC here.

Reaction score
7 of those 10-guys are Pro Bowlers..and another should have been. I'd say that's the core of our winning football team over the past few years no doubt.

Edit: BTW.. Marion Barber and Jason Hatcher were BP picks as well. Still on the team.

Also, Crayton was another late round pick of his who was a big part of this team til that stupid trade for Roy forced him out.

Also, Bradie James was a 2003 late round draft pick.

Last edited:
Reaction score
..and i don't even want to know what logic you use to say he couldn't win with his team. He took a POS football team that had gone 5-11 three seasons in a row and got them a 10 win season and back to the playoffs in his first friggin year. 3 winning seasons out of 4 and another playoff birth in 2006 where we would have won our first playoff game in 15 years if not for the botched snap at the end of the Seahawks game.

Didn't win my ass.. come on now.

Reaction score
7 of those 10-guys are Pro Bowlers

When was the last time 7 of the ten of those guys made the Pro Bowl?

And what does them making the Pro Bowl in those years have to do with the 2011 version of the Cowboys?

I'd say that's the core of our winning football team over the past few years no doubt.

What exactly has this team "won" over the past few years? What did they win last year?

Edit: BTW.. Marion Barber and Jason Hatcher were BP picks as well. Still on the team.

Neither of which will be on the roster in 2011. I addressed that.

Also, Crayton was another late round pick of his who was a big part of this team til that stupid trade for Roy forced him out.

Cool. What does that have to do with 2011?

Also, Bradie James was a 2003 late round draft pick.

Good point. Edited.

..and i don't even want to know what logic you use to say he couldn't win with his team. He took a POS football team that had gone 5-11 three seasons in a row and got them a 10 win season and back to the playoffs in his first friggin year. 3 winning seasons out of 4 and another playoff birth in 2006 where we would have won our first playoff game in 15 years if not for the botched snap at the end of the Seahawks game.

34-32. Zero division titles. Zero playoff wins.

And he had four years, plus a GM ready and willing to spend money on the players Parcells wanted.

This is a parity-driven league.

Teams go from 5-11, to 11-5 all the time in this league.

And no, kicking that field goal does not guarantee a win against Seattle. Instead, it would have given Seattle the ball, down by two, in their stadium, with 1:19 remaining, with a guy Al Michaels referred to as the "best clutch field goal kickers in America this year" on their side.... oh, and against a Cowboys defense who had a history of collapsing and letting teams march down the field in crunch time situations.

Reaction score
RTH... the point of this thread is not to diminish what Parcells did with this team, or the impact he's had on the franchise.

Instead, it's flushing down sbk's assinine belief that Parcells built the "core" of the Cowboys.

Rosters are comprised of 53 players.

10 guys (and we'll have even less come opening day) does not comprise the core of a team.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
If Parcells never walked into Valley Ranch, I highly doubt this team would have been much better than a 6 win team or so over the last 8 or 9 years.

The state of the franchise was about as bad as it gets before BP was brought in to repair Jerry's cluster F. In order to truly appreciate what BP has done, you'd have to actually see the situation for what it was. We were at the lowest of lows.

BP's coaching style only works for a short time. I think I've heard or read where he's said that. I think it was time for him to go when he went. Players stop responding after a while.

I give him credit for fixing Jerry's mess. I never gave Wade credit for anything he did here. He basically took a roster that was as talented as any and acted like a head coach for a few years.

If Garrett can take this team and get them to play well and be smarter, I'll credit him for taking something Wade ruined and he built back up.

There's no question BP's fingerprints are all over the core of this roster. I just think it doesn't mean as much since Wade and Jerry have tore it down already.

Time for someone else to bulid it back up. The pieces are already there, thank in large part to BP and the philosophy that he brought in with him. What little was able to rub off, anyway.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I guess it would depend on what definition of core we use.

I thought about an apple core.

The core only makes up like 15% of the apple.

Reaction score
I guess it would depend on what definition of core we use.

I thought about an apple core.

The core only makes up like 15% of the apple.

A genius once said this:

Furthermore . . . and this might be splitting hairs, but I'd argue that the term "core" is not accurate. The core of a team isn't it's stars. The core is the role players. The steady contributors who produce when called upon. The special teams stand-outs. The guys in the trenches. That is the core of any football team. Once you have that core, then the stars excell.

Reaction score
You're argument that because only 11 players remain from what Parcells brought here, that it somehow doesn't equal enough to be the "core" of the team is pretty weak.

Those 11 guys have been the backbone of this solid team for years.

Reaction score
Also, please don't attempt to argue that we went from being a shit team for years before BP, to being a steady winning franchise for years now after BP got here. He turned this ship around, its not a debate.

Reaction score
You're argument that because only 11 players remain from what Parcells brought here, that it somehow doesn't equal enough to be the "core" of the team is pretty weak.

Those 11 guys have been the backbone of this solid team for years.

Two things:

First - It's not 11 guys. At most, there will be 10 guys here.

Second - We're two coaching staffs and 5 years removed from Parcells presence with the team. All of our guys, even those who came in under Parcells first year, have spent more time in the league being coached by other individuals, than Parcells.

Whatever success we have this year, or in coming years (when the # of Parcells hold-overs will surely diminish) will be attributed to those coaching staffs (primarily Jason Garrett & hopefully Rob Ryan).

Reaction score
Also, please don't attempt to argue that we went from being a shit team for years before BP, to being a steady winning franchise for years now after BP got here. He turned this ship around, its not a debate.

We had a shit coach in Campo, and were in salary cap hell.

Teams experience turnarounds all the time in the NFL, nowadays. What Parcells did here really wasn't that impressive, if you look at it honestly.

I'll say this.... if any coach had came to Dallas and gone 34-32, 0 playoff wins, 0 division titles, and then left the team... they'd be an afterthought. But because the guy has the last name of Parcells, we're supposed to be in awe.

Give me a break.

Reaction score
Barber is still on the team.. so right now, its 11 guys.

The point is though, not that those guys have all been tutored by Parcells.. its more that he left us with a much upgraded talent base with which to work and develop. Simply.. he brought us success by taking a POS team and taking us to the playoffs a couple times and showing us how to be a winning organization again, and then when he left.. he left us a very good young core of players to work with and develop for the future of this franchise.

No one is saying he should get all the credit for everything Wade did and everything Garrett will do. But he deserves some credit for what he did here.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

So now .500 is "winning"

Right.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

He certainly helped right the ship, no question about it.

But as HC, he was the picture of mediocrity.

Reaction score
If Parcells never walked into Valley Ranch, I highly doubt this team would have been much better than a 6 win team or so over the last 8 or 9 years.

The state of the franchise was about as bad as it gets before BP was brought in to repair Jerry's cluster F. In order to truly appreciate what BP has done, you'd have to actually see the situation for what it was. We were at the lowest of lows.

BP's coaching style only works for a short time. I think I've heard or read where he's said that. I think it was time for him to go when he went. Players stop responding after a while.

I give him credit for fixing Jerry's mess. I never gave Wade credit for anything he did here. He basically took a roster that was as talented as any and acted like a head coach for a few years.

If Garrett can take this team and get them to play well and be smarter, I'll credit him for taking something Wade ruined and he built back up.

There's no question BP's fingerprints are all over the core of this roster. I just think it doesn't mean as much since Wade and Jerry have tore it down already.

Time for someone else to bulid it back up. The pieces are already there, thank in large part to BP and the philosophy that he brought in with him. What little was able to rub off, anyway.

Excellent way to word it.

Reaction score
Barber is still on the team.. so right now, its 11 guys.

What part of I'm talking about 2011 is not clear?

Do you really, really... REALLY think Barber will be a Cowboy in 2011?

The point is though, not that those guys have all been tutored by Parcells.. its more that he left us with a much upgraded talent base with which to work and develop. Simply.. he brought us success by taking a POS team and taking us to the playoffs a couple times and showing us how to be a winning organization again, and then when he left.. he left us a very good young core of players to work with and develop for the future of this franchise.

No one is saying he should get all the credit for everything Wade did and everything Garrett will do. But he deserves some credit for what he did here.

I agree with that.

The intent of my thread is because of dumbasses (and by dumbasses, I mean sbk) keep trying to give Parcells credit for everything. It's beyond retarded.

Reaction score
So now .500 is "winning"

Right.

If you look at it like a doofus.. its still over .500.

If you look at it for what it is.. its 3 winning seasons out of 4 with two playoff births after years of getting nowhere near there with this franchise.

Top Bottom