Reaction score
What I said wasn't a knock on Jerry. There isn't an owner in the league that is going to empower the head coach to make every decision.

Besides, Bill was a relic by the time he got here. He had no business making every decision.

But having a qualified guy making decisions with him would've been nice.

As long as Jerry has a pulse, that guy will never be in Dallas.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Bill had total control. So did Jimmy

On the other hand, there is the draft story from 2005 about Parcells wanting Spears at 11 and thinking they'd still get Ware at 20. Supposedly Jones overruled him.

if true, that was definitely a great call.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
Bill had total control. So did Jimmy

Jimmy had total control from the start because Jerry was immersed in righting the financial ship. When that was done, Jerry wanted to be more involved with the football side. And we all know how that ended up.

Bill did not have total control. He had a big say in things, yes. More than any other coach after Jimmy. But Jerry said it himself, he and he alone had final say over everything.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
On the other hand, there is the draft story from 2005 about Parcells wanting Spears at 11 and thinking they'd still get Ware at 20. Supposedly Jones overruled him.

if true, that was definitely a great call.

not the story.

but carry on.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jimmy had total control from the start because Jerry was immersed in righting the financial ship. When that was done, Jerry wanted to be more involved with the football side. And we all know how that ended up.

Bill did not have total control. He had a big say in things, yes. More than any other coach after Jimmy. But Jerry said it himself, he and he alone had final say over everything.

Parcells had control of everything without question.

He changed the coaching staff, the roster and the front office as soon as he got here.

He got rid of larry lacewell for gods sake.

It was all him. He came here to win a superbowl and that was always the expectation, but as he has said many times he had no idea how bad it was when he got here and how much he would have to fix.

so instead he had to essentially rebuild and reteach an organization how to operate.

He couldnt get any of the staff he originally wanted, he didnt get delhomme as he intended.

So the whole process took a jolt right from the start. So he was coaching the players and teaching the coaches and front office how he wanted things done. this is a tremendous chore, its the same thing holmgren went through in seattle.

This idea that he wasnt a good coach here is crazy, and this notion that the last draft was bad is based on carpenter. But we also got bowen, austin, hatcher in 06.

I am so thankful he was here, we saw for a few seasons what a real football person can do. The results of his few years of work carried over long after he has left.

The winning in 03 was awesome and probably a bad thing at the same time. If we had a 04 type season right away he would have blown up some bad parts sooner and got to work on the rebuild that actually happened to late.

His assistants he brought in turned out to be excellent and had a few things worked out differently in that initial offseason who knows what would have happened.

Delhomme ended up turning down the cowboys offer and went to carolina with Dan Henning. Henning was supposed to come here and be the offensive cooridnator but couldnt get out of his deal and this happened to other assitants also.

then ryan young gets injured, donald mitchell who was signed to be the nickel corner decides to retire in the summer....and on and on.

once the rebuild started in march of 05 alot had already happened. And missing the playoffs again in 05 as the story goes was enough for jerry to start forcing his hand again. As bill said it was give and take at that point....to get something he would have to give something and that is how owens found his way here.

this is one of the reasons I think ciskowski may not be the good personnel guy many believe he is, he was there all along and bill didnt want him as his main guy, he fired broaddus who worked hand in hand with lacewell after 05 and hired Brian gaine. ireland and gaine were higher up than ciskowski. I think that means something.

anyway. We might have been off and running if a few things had played out differently, but the rebuild started two years to late and we didnt have a qb until his final 9 games here.

I wish he could have been around that 07 offseason and had one more camp and one more season.

and as he said, when I am gone you will never have known I was there. and that is where we are today.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think the Parcells years shows exactly how f'd up Jerry was before Parcells arrived and how bad they have gotten since.

Jerry's ego is the only thing keeping us from being a successful franchise. Not saying any GM will automatically come in and start winning but this environment that Jerry has created isn't going to get us anywhere.

Reaction score

He changed the coaching staff, the roster and the front office as soon as he got here.

He got rid of larry lacewell for gods sake.

It was all him.

So I guess we can finally put to rest the notion the main reason we drafted Ware was due to Jerry.

Reaction score
I think the Parcells years shows exactly how f'd up Jerry was before Parcells arrived and how bad they have gotten since.

Jerry's ego is the only thing keeping us from being a successful franchise. Not saying any GM will automatically come in and start winning but this environment that Jerry has created isn't going to get us anywhere.

That's definitely the main reason we've been so unsuccessful the last 15 years. When you are the owner/GM and intentionally avoid hiring the best HC for the job because you don't want to risk a power struggle, that says all anyone needs to know. It's the main reason we ended up with Switzer, Gailey, Campo, Wade and now Garrett. Jerry wants control and the limelight that goes along with it and has to try to find coaches that are willing to work under those conditions.

And then when you throw in Jerry being the GM and final say on personnel while getting much of his input from the likes of Lacewell and Switzer to the point of overriding the scouts and draftboard then it's just a totally f'd up situation. I definitely can't wait til the fricker is long gone. Just too bad we'll have wasted a minimum of two decades while he tried to placate his ego playing GM.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
Wrong.
And had to be talked into keeping Zimmer.

This idea that he wasnt a good coach here is crazy, and this notion that the last draft was bad is based on carpenter. But we also got bowen, austin, hatcher in 06.
His game day coaching was avg. at best. I still maintain we win that playoff game against the Seahawks if he wasn't coaching scared. They had absolute shit in the defensive backfield, but did we even try to attack it? No. That's only one example.

And Bowen was never anything more than a part time player here. Hatcher is a JAG. And Austin wasn't part of the draft class itself, no matter how much you want to say it is.

I am so thankful he was here, we saw for a few seasons what a real football person can do. The results of his few years of work carried over long after he has left.
Nobody has said any different. This organization was in serious need of help, and he did a great job of getting us out of the 5-11 continuous hell. But he topped out. Burnt out and left.

once the rebuild started in march of 05 alot had already happened. And missing the playoffs again in 05 as the story goes was enough for jerry to start forcing his hand again. As bill said it was give and take at that point....to get something he would have to give something and that is how owens found his way here.
Oh wait. You said he had complete control. But this sure looks like he didn't. And you could see it from his first draft here. Kevin Williams vs Terrence Newman ring a bell?

Last edited:

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Really,I didn't expect too much out of Parcells.
Parcell's history showed he would skate sooner rather than later.
I did think we might get a better class of HC's interested in Dallas as a destination though.

/cue up Ghostbusters Sta-Puft scenes
//cue up Princeton fight song

Reaction score
Parcells game day coaching was attrocious.

The Detroit Lions, of all teams, openly mocked us.

We'd stay in a base 3-4 when other offenses went 3 and four receivers wide on us because, according to Parcells, "we don't let offenses dictate how we play defense."

:suicide

His game day coaching is why I grew to hate the guy, and wanted him gone.

Reaction score
That story is supposedly true, it came from inside the warroom (alledgedly)

Parcells wanted Merriman.

Stephen and Jerry talked to Bill, told him about the Poston brothers, said they'd rather go Ware.

Then Bill cited his planet theory and wanted Spears.

Stephen and Jerry insisted on Ware.

Parcells pouted in the war room until Spears fell to us at 20.

Reaction score
It came down to choosing between Ware and Merriman. I think Merriman's agent scared many off and we fortunately went with Ware.
I don't doubt that there was a discussion involving who would last til #20. But it ultimately came down to Ware/Merriman at #11.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So I guess we can finally put to rest the notion the main reason we drafted Ware was due to Jerry.

The reason we drafted ware was because shawn merriman was represented by the poston brothers plain and simple.

bill wanted merriman, the jones family did not want to negotiate with the postons, the postons hold players out and the jones family likes there players signed and in camp on time as did bill.

as broaddus tells the story, jerry, stephen and bill left the room to discuss it and when the realization that merriman would be holdout was put on the table parcells agreed on ware.

so we should all thank the postons for ware, if they were not such dicks we would have drafted merriman.

C

Cr122

Exactly correct.

Top Bottom