Reaction score
We didn't move up for Maryland. We moved up for Ismail.

But when Ismail decided to go to the CFL after we traded up, we were SOL and just took Maryland.

That was a pretty weak draft at the top.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We didn't move up for Maryland. We moved up for Ismail.

But when Ismail decided to go to the CFL after we traded up, we were SOL and just took Maryland.

That was a pretty weak draft at the top.

True

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Could have hired parcells in 97. We still had a number of Good players.

Aikman, Irvin, emmitt, moose, woody still had gas in the tank.

Bill would have turned the franchise back around and we may not have had this miserable stretch.

Those old players all would have loved the discipline and the structure he would have brought back.

If only we hired him in 97 instead of 03.

I dont remember that, although I do recall Jones talking about how he tried to lure Joe Gibbs out of retirement before he hired Chan Gailey. Gibbs told Jerry he was 100% done with coaching (and then later unretired to go back to Washington) but admitted it was awful tempting because of being able to coach Aikman.

Of course had Terry Donahue not backed out, he would have been the HC instead of Gailey. They also tried to hire Brian Billick as OC as part of the deal, and Billick resigned in Minnesota to accept the position. The league intervened though and said Billick couldnt do that, and thats when teams started hiring away assistants with lateral moves and giving them "Assistant HC" titles to get them out of contracts. That too has since been outlawed.

Reaction score
I rue letting Jimmy Johnson get away. How, as an owner, do you not give the guy everything he wants to make it work? Three was nice, but we could've won four, five, maybe even 6.

Reaction score
Of course had Terry Donahue not backed out, he would have been the HC instead of Gailey. They also tried to hire Brian Billick as OC as part of the deal, and Billick resigned in Minnesota to accept the position. The league intervened though and said Billick couldnt do that, and thats when teams started hiring away assistants with lateral moves and giving them "Assistant HC" titles to get them out of contracts. That too has since been outlawed.

Donahue :frustrate

Seriously, this is the mindset of Jerry. Unreal that Donahue was a legit candidate and was almost the HC here. Goes right along with the Switzer's, Campo's, Gailey's etc. And I remember those weeks and seeing where Jerry was offering about $600,000/yr while other HC's were making well over $1 million/yr. Just shows how much he devalued the HC position and the types of guys he was after who would settle for the job for that amount. F Jerry.

Last edited:

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I dont remember that, although I do recall Jones talking about how he tried to lure Joe Gibbs out of retirement before he hired Chan Gailey. Gibbs told Jerry he was 100% done with coaching (and then later unretired to go back to Washington) but admitted it was awful tempting because of being able to coach Aikman.

it never had a chance, I am just saying it. He still had the fire and just left new england. Had jerry reached out to him and had the level humbled head he had in december of 02, that group of guys might have had a shot. Bill would have been a perfect fit, especially when you hear all these guys like aikman, irvin, newton say how much they love a coach like parcells/belichick.

and darren woodson absolutely loved parcells. I can only imagine how gratifying it was for him to finally have the structure back he started with here in 92.

Joe Gibbs would have been fantastic also. He would have made our offense tremendous again, he had a knack for good tight ends and finding them. We needed one from the day jay retired till witten showed up.

either gibbs or parcells would have been fabulous, gibbs probably would have worked really well with jerry because he likes to spend money in free agency and would have completely delegated defense like he always did to a good coordinator.

man it would have been weird to have gibbs here though, even more strange than parcells I think. gibbs was always a redskin.

I think the gibbs meetings were in 2000 though before jerry just gave up and hired campo.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
I was pissed when Parcells left.

Not me. He was old, burnt out, and didn't seem to care anymore. I never was impressed with his gameday coaching. But when his strenth, team building started to slip, it was time to go. His drafts were getting scary.

Reaction score
Not me. He was old, burnt out, and didn't seem to care anymore. I never was impressed with his gameday coaching. But when his strenth, team building started to slip, it was time to go. His drafts were getting scary.

I thought BP took us as far as he could and he left on his own. The problem was with Jerry reverting back to his old ways and gleefully not having to walk on eggshells anymore. I gave the moron the benefit of the doubt that he had wised up enough after the Switzer/Campo years not to go back there again, but I was wrong.

Reaction score
I still think we should've drafted Chris Johnson or Rashard Mendenhall over Felix Jones.

Ray Rice was still there too. Such a great class of running backs and to get stuck with Felix Jones.

I also would have loved to have had Steven Jackson. That pick feel right into our hands and we pasted it up. I was so pissed that day.

Reaction score

I agree 100%.

Reaction score
Ray Rice was still there too. Such a great class of running backs and to get stuck with Felix Jones.

I also would have loved to have had Steven Jackson. That pick feel right into our hands and we pasted it up. I was so pissed that day.

I was watching the draft, hoping the guy would fall to us. Never thought it would actually happen though. When he was still available when we went on the clock, I was stoked.

Then we traded down.

lol

C

Cr122

Yeah, I'll admit he was burned out a bit, but I also blame Jerry for Parcells departure too.

Jerry went over his head and signed head cases like T.O. players Bill didn't want. I think that had something to do with it.

Now, I will say some players Bill brought in had me scratching my head, but if Jerry just let well enough alone I believe Bill would've stuck around longer.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I was pissed when Parcells left.

was thrilled the day we got him, but it was apparent he was done as a HC after that 2004 season IMO

when he left, it was a good thing...the game had passed him by

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll admit he was burned out a bit, but I also blame Jerry for Parcells departure too.

Jerry went over his head and signed head cases like T.O. players Bill didn't want. I think that had something to do with it.

Now, I will say some players Bill brought in had me scratching my head, but if Jerry just let well enough alone I believe Bill would've stuck around longer.

If Bill would have insisted he didnt want TO, he wouldnt have been here. Bill ran everything when he was here, made every decision.

Jerry had nothing to do with Bill leaving. Hindsight is 20-20, but forcing Bill out after the 2005 season and giving the job to Sean Payton would have been the smart thing for Jerry to do.

C

Cr122

If Bill would have insisted he didnt want TO, he wouldnt have been here. Bill ran everything when he was here, made every decision.

Jerry had nothing to do with Bill leaving. Hindsight is 20-20, but forcing Bill out after the 2005 season and giving the job to Sean Payton would have been the smart thing for Jerry to do.
It's a debate that can go either way. No one knows for sure. As far as Sean Payton, yeah I would've loved for him to stay.

Jerry's an idiot what can I say.

Reaction score

Not at all true.

You're fooling yourself if you ever believe Jerry would EVER give a head coach that much power.

C

Cr122

Not at all true.

You're fooling yourself if you ever believe Jerry would EVER give a head coach that much power.

That's one of the reasons why I think Bill left. Not entirely the real reason.

I agree he was burnt out a bit to but having Jerry looking over your shoulder can drive anyone nuts.

Top Bottom