bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
If not for that one fingertip jersey tackle people would be talking about "Drew's Breakaway" instead of "The Catch."

Had he scored on that play and delivered a W for Dallas, I'm convinced he'd be in the HOF today. It would have been the fourth signature play of his career, next to the Hail Mary, Atlanta and Thanksgiving '74.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Had he scored on that play and delivered a W for Dallas, I'm convinced he'd be in the HOF today. It would have been the fourth signature play of his career, next to the Hail Mary, Atlanta and Thanksgiving '74.
To me there were two plays in quick succession in that game, that eclipsed "the catch." It was the lucky tackle of Drew when he was headed to the house - or at the very least, 15-20 more yards - then Danny's fumble which followed on the next play. One more 15-20 yard completion and we were in easy range for the game winning FG, and like Danny always did, he choked, coughed the ball right up.

And I agree, if not for the lucky tackle Drew is in the hall. Probably first ballot.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
we would have had those extra yards had the horse collar rule been in existence then
Yup and it would have been game over. 30-28 Dallas. Septien was reliable. Tom sends the FG unit out on first down. This is IF Drew doesn't just take it to the house which was a strong possibility there.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think any list of this category should definitely have Waters and Washington on it. So if I were fixing this it would be:

#10 James Washington
#9 Chuck Howley
#8 Charlie Waters
#7 Ed Jones
#6 Harvey Martin/Randy White
#5 Drew Pearson
#4 Michael Irvin
#3 Roger Staubach
#2 Troy Aikman
#1 Emmitt Smith

Love Charlie, but......

9 INT's.....in 25 playoff games....5 of them in two games, a 37-7 first round molestation of the Bears in 1977 which they led 34-0 after three quarters and a 28-0 shutout of the Rams in the 78 NFC championship game in which their quarterbacks, Vince Ferragamo and Pat Haden had passer ratings of 32.8 and 9.9 respectively.

His postseason INT's were not the difference makers in a Super Bowl, nor did they typically come at a time in which the game was in doubt. They usually occurred when the previously mentioned warriors on the defensive line were racing each other to a QB that was behind and desperately trying to catch up.

Don't get me wrong, I could easily change this list from a top 10 to a top 25, those guys you all mentioned would be included.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
By the way, the media photo shots of the "Catch" include Clark's defender, Everson Walls, a rookie free agent that season (12 round draft) that had just broken the Cowboy record for most INT's in a regular season.

In that particular NFC championship game, he had 2 INT's and a recovered fumble .

Top Bottom