Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
OT, but I noticed after watching that there are several full NFL games up. How is that? Have people found their way around the YT filter that automatically removes them?
Pre-2013 games do not set off the filter. If a vintage game is deleted, it's because someone ratted you out or the NFL went looking for violators.
Yep bbgun and I tried several experiments and the deal is, his videos when he uploads them are broadcast quality stuff and YT zaps them immediately, no delay at all. Vs. the low quality older ones that stay up until there is a complaint.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Pre-2012 games do not set off the filter. If a vintage game is deleted, it's because someone ratted you out or the NFL went looking for violators.

Yep bbgun and I tried several experiments and the deal is, his videos when he uploads them are broadcast quality stuff and YT zaps them immediately, no delay at all. Vs. the low quality older ones that stay up until there is a complaint.
Sweet. I'm going to do some binge watching until they get yanked down.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

it's not "quality" but rather what's embedded in the broadcast. i can upload HD clips from 2011 without any trouble at all because broadcasts weren't "tagged" yet.

[video=youtube;x6KYXCllJvM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6KYXCllJvM[/video]

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
it's not "quality" but rather what's embedded in the broadcast. i can upload HD clips from 2011 without any trouble at all because broadcasts weren't "tagged" yet.
That's 720HD and your more recent ones are 1080.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
That's because it's a Fox broadcast. I can just as easily post 1080 NBC or CBS clips from that year without any trouble.
See? Uber-Liberal google which owns youtube, hates Fox!

Reaction score
Who comes in at #8? My vote goes to the Refs in the Detroit game. We wouldn't have won without them.

:popcorn

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Any idea how long these NFL games have been up? I watch old college games on Youtube all the time when I'm working out or whatever, but I never even looked for NFL ones because I didn't think any were up.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Ha, I know that... I meant about how long has it been that the NFL stopped yanking them all down.

they yanked one of mine down the other day (a Dorsett TD in 1986). I think they have an intern who from time to time types in "NFL" and hunts for copyright violations, but it's very sporadic. it's helpful not to get too specific in the titles.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That's what I was wondering, if this was just a case where it's been a few weeks since they checked and they could all come down in one day when they check again.

Funny, when I search, there aren't that many full games that show up. But on the suggestions on the side, there are tons. Right now I'm seeing everything from a lot of full games in 2011, to the Bounty Bowl, to the 1993 Superbowl win, to games from 1984, plus lots more. This is awesome.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
#8 Alvin Harper

Alvin Harper's career was much maligned due to the lack of overeall productivity for a player drafted in the 1st round. While it's true that he didn't produce the regular season numbers typically expected, his legacy as a postseason playmaker cannot be denied.

Alvin Harper holds the NFL record for postseason receptions average yards (ten reception minimum). He had a total of 24 playoff receptions for 655 yards, an average of 27.3 yards a catch.No other NFL player with 20 or more playoff receptions can even come close, 2nd ranked Willie Gault has 23.7, 3rd place Harold jackson had 22.8.

On two occasions he had over a hundred yards receiving without catching more than 3 passes. In 1993 he caught a total of 5 passes in three playoff games....for 203 yards, a 40.6 average.

And yet, his yardage wasn't the most important aspect of his receptions, it was the timing.

Alvin harper produced some of the biggest and most critical plays in Cowboy playoff history.

The Cowboys' very first playoff game under Jimmy johnson was without the services of Troy Aikman, out with an injury. His replacement, Steve Beuerlein, threw only 18 passes, completing only 9. However, he averaged 20 yards a completion thanks to the dual efforts of his starting wide receivers. Harper and Irvin combined for only 7 receptions, but they netted 171 yards, Combined with Emmitt's 26 carries for 105 yards, it was enough to keep the Cowboy offense relevant while the defense won the game.

In the 1992 Conference Championship game agaisnt the 49ers, the Cowboys opened up the 2nd half with a 10-10 ties that was broken by a spectacular leaping 38 yard TD catch by Alvin Harper. However, the 49ers were within 4 points with 4:22 left in the game. The Cowboys had the ball but everyone knew that if steve Young was given a chance he would find a way to win with the help of Jerry Rice and Co. On first down Aikman threw a simple ten yard pass to Alvin Harper, who turned it into a 70 yard gain to the 49er 9 yard line.

The following year Alvin Harper once again provided a big play in the Conference Championship game when it counted. With Troy Aikman knocked out of the 2hd half with a concusssion, the 49ers began staging a comeback. However, the Cowboys victory was sealed when Harper caught a 42 yard TD pass from backup Bernie Kosar.

In the Super Bowl that year Harper caught three passes, for 25, 16, and 35 yards. All three receptions were part of a Cowboy scoring drive.

In the 1995 divisional round against the Packers Harper helped to break the game open with a 94 yard TD reception late in the 1st quarter.

In the 1992 Super Bowl 27, Harpers only reception was a 45 yard TD in the 4th quarter.

In the 1994 divisonal round of the playoffs, also against the Packers, Harper opened up the scoring in the 1st quarter with a 25 yard TD reception. The Cowboys won that game 27-17.

Almost all of Alvin Harpers receptions in the Cowboy playoff games from 1991 to 1994 were momentum swinging back breakers for Cowboy opponents. He never accomplished much after he left before the 1995 season but his contributions of big plays in the postseason is a matter of record.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Larry Brown was often burned? From 1991 to 1995 the Cowboys defense was tied for 1st place for fewest TD passes thrown against. They were 2nd place in fewest passing yards given up. 5th place for lowest passing percentage by opponent QB's.

During that 5 year period Larry Brown led all Cowboy defenders in INT's with 18.

What is more admirable, a blue chip talent 1st round pick that accomplishes what is expected of him or a 12th round pick that plays within his abilities, works hard and makes the big plays when they need to be made?

I have seen 1st round picks like Terrence Newman and Michael Jenkins with a pass thrown right into their hands only to bounce off onto the ground, plays that could have made a difference in the outcome of the whole season. Larry Brown made those plays, not just those two. However, if he had dropped just one of those INT's then there is a very good chance the Steelers defeat the Cowboys for a third time in the Super Bowl.

In today's NFL Larry Brown would have been an undrafted free agent and he started for 5 years on a legendary defense. Yes, he wasn't considered the strength of the team but he most definitely was not a liability. Yes, the opponents chose to throw more in his direction but he absolutely made them pay far more than he got burned.

He may have not covered the opponent's best receiver in the playoffs but the "other" guy was still typically a high round draft pick that contributed enough to help get their team into the playoffs. He was covering Ernie Mills and Don Beebe when he got two of his three Super Bowl INT's.

These "playoff warriors" aren't all going to be the best players, but they were players who played their best when everything was on the line. They stepped up in the games that make history, the ones we will never forget.

Top Bottom