Reaction score
We're not even going to be healthy enough to have a real dress rehearsal, esp. on defense.

Claiborne and Melton probably won't start. They're probably going to have to play significant minutes in the 4th preseason game... if they're even ready then.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Only disappointment involving the starters going three quarters? We might not see Dustin Vaughn in action this week.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I wonder if the Fins will be wearing white, to take advantage of the "Blue Jersey Jinx" in a preseason game?

Reaction score
Jeff Heath > Honey Badger.
Whoever the fuck plays LB for us now > NFL leading tackler Vontaze Burfict.
apparently.

Seems talent and heart is the deciding factor in what makes a WKG

Reaction score
I hope we score touchdowns on offense in this game and the quarterback throws passes the receivers catch!

Reaction score
Rookie fourth-round pick Anthony Hitchens said he took all of the first-team middle linebacker repetitions in practice Thursday in front of veteran Rolando McClain, who was back practicing after he missed Wednesday with cramps. Hitchens was flanked by Justin Durant and Bruce Carter as first-team outside linebackers.

The Cowboys drafted Hitchens to be Sean Lee’s backup, but after they worked him at middle linebacker throughout the off-season they had him work mostly at weak-side linebacker in training camp. He’s spent this week back at middle linebacker.

“I’ve been moving back and forth,” Hitchens said. “I wouldn’t be surprised if they moved me again. I’m just trying to learn as much as I can right now.”

Hitchens said he expects to play two to three quarters in the club’s third preseason game Saturday at Miami.

Kyle Wilber has been the Cowboys’ first-team strong-side linebacker throughout the preseason. But the Cowboys could take another look at Wilber as a defensive end because they’re so thin along the defensive line.

Wilber was at defensive end last year before switching to strong-side linebacker, where he started six games for the Cowboys.

Reaction score
IRVING — Sterling Moore returned to practice Thursday after dealing with a nagging groin injury he originally suffered in late July.

“Haven’t watched the tape yet, but it looked like he was moving around fairly well,” Garrett said.

Moore’s return was welcomed by a team whose reserves at cornerback have thinned to the point that safeties have had to fill in at those spots when the team has rolled out sub packages.

Even on Thursday, second-year veteran B.W. Webb was held out because of a hip flexor that, Garrett said, is expected to sideline him Saturday against Miami. Newly acquired cornerback Justin Green is also dealing with a shoulder injury that has raised doubts about his availability Saturday.

As for Moore, his value has increased in the wake of Orlando Scandrick’s performance-enhancing drug suspension for the first four regular-season games. Keeping Moore healthy has become a priority.

“The biggest thing is not having any setbacks in practice,” Moore said. “That’s the thing we’re trying to avoid now.”

Reaction score
Tomorrow night in Miami, the "dress rehearsal" game where the starters are said to be playing well into the 3rd quarter.

Might be we'll get to see what's really going on with this team. Wait, it isn't a team per se, it is a collection of players.

Id rather not see much of the 1st string. They are too important and i think they are ready to roll opening day.

Reaction score
The Eagles have looked really good in preseason. Washington is a mixed bag. RGIII is having issues learning the offense. Giants are a mess.

The Lions pass rush was impressive. Wonder if it will finally carry over into the real games.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The roster has 28 players who play in the "front 7" on defense. Here's the list of players with 5 or more years of experience.

Hayden
Mincey
Durant
Melton
Spencer
Okoye

3 guys who basically didn't play last year in Spencer, Melton, and Okoye. Okoye didn't at all, Spencer had 1 week, and Melton had 2 shitty games before tearing his ACL. PFF sucks but Melton had Hayden grades for weeks 1 (-4.4) and 2 (-2.9). He did get 2 "hurries" in week 3 before going down to add to his 5 total tackles. None of these guys has played a single snap this preseason. Will any of them?

Hayden shouldn't even be on the team he's so fucking bad.

Durant is a backup on any other roster.

Mincey was kicked out of Jacksonville and for the year played about 20 snaps per game coming away with 3 whopping sacks.

It's one thing if you are really young but are stocked with quality youth. Kinda like the OL. Dallas has 1 (maybe 2) that I would consider in that category. Both from Boise. One didn't play last year, the other not playing for a while this year. Neither proven a single thing. I'd count McClain but the moment I do he's probably going to quit.

Of this illustrious group of 6 what do most of those guys have in common other than giant question marks? 5 of them were not on the roster at the end of 2012. Just Spencer. What do half have in common? They were basically street free agent pickups. Hayden (didn't play in 2012), Selvie (signed well after the start of camp), and Okoye (was in a coma a year ago) are all guys who may not be on anyone else's roster if Dallas had not called.

This has go to be the least proven, most questionable, and flat out shittiest front 7 in the NFL. Other than Melton, would any of these guys start anywhere else? If there is a weaker and more suspect bunch I'd like to know who.

Perhaps one of the funnier things I've noticed is the general CZ defense of Rolando because he hasn't played in so long when just a week or two ago they were tripping over each other pointing out how Dallas needs Brent and how he can help even though he hasn't fucking played in a year and a half, and he's a big fat fuck and not a top 10 pick.

Reaction score
Good post, and I don't get how or why people are counting on Spencer this year.

We've got a fair amount of recognizable names, and thats about it.

Reaction score
Broaddus notes:

IRVING, Texas – Here are a few thoughts after the Cowboys’ final practice this week in preparation for their dress rehearsal preseason game against the Dolphins.

•With Sterling Moore back at practice on Thursday, I expect him to get some extended work both at corner and, more importantly, in the nickel at the slot. Even with Orlando Scandrick available and the normal slot, Moore needs to see some snaps there in order to get ready when Scandrick begins to serve his suspension.

•It appears that Rolando McClain made it through the entire practice without any issues due to his cramping that gave him problems on Tuesday. I can see McClain getting some action with both the first and second set of linebackers against the Dolphins. It’ll be interesting to see how his conditioning holds up on what will be a humid night

•Don’t be surprised to see Zack Martin get his first game action at center against the Dolphins. Martin has been working at the position and looks comfortable enough to see how far he has really come as a possible backup.

•Keep an eye on Caesar Rayford and the amount of work that he will get in this game. It looks like the coaches have settled on his playing as a three technique instead of trying to move him all over the line. In the times I have seen him play, there has been some nice get off on the ball.

•This team is doing their best to find as many ends that can rush the passer on third downs. I believe that Kyle Wilber is going to get a shot on that right side where Martez Wilson normally plays. George Selvie played on that right side in the Ravens game with Tyrone Crawford opposite him. Would not rule out Wilson getting some work on the left side as well, paired with Selvie or Wilber.

•Been told that Ryan Williams has done a much better job with his blitz pickups in regards to knowing which player to get and finishing his blocks. This was an area that was holding him back in his overall game.

•Would not be surprised to see Ahmad Dixon have a big game defensively after sitting out the Baltimore game. He appears to be one of those players that has a chip on his shoulder when things happen to him personally. He was embarrassed and will be out to make up for that.

•With the final roster reduction taking place on August 30th the clubs will be allowed to form their 10-man practice squads beginning on the 31st. In talking to several front office guys around the league, the majority of them are waiting to see which players qualify. But are there also some players that no longer have eligibility under the old system that gain some in the new format? Teams are happy to have the two extra players, but who those players are is still in question.

Reaction score
But we'll be better cause we're going to come at them in waves.

Like, who cares if we don't have talent. You really only need bodies out there. As long as you keep em fresh by rotating them in and out, you're good. Or something.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
With the final roster reduction taking place on August 30th
My GAWD that's only a week. I fear dallas keeping only 2 QBs to keep a additional slow, fat, bloated DL on the roster, or to keep a spot open for the fat slob that killed a guy.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Guess they dont love Wilbur at OLB afterall. I dont think he played 1st team at OLB the other night vs Miami either. Maybe its because he is playing at down DE on pass rush downs.

This is from todays practice note:

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 12m
First team front seven: Henry Melton, Jeremy Mincey, Nick Hayden, Tyrone Crawford, Bruce Carter, Anthony Hitchens and Justin Durant

Reaction score
The give up approach On defense really Has me Not excited for this season like at all. This year Is such an obvious lame duck season .

Top Bottom