dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Tunsil would be massive overkill here.

The OL is already great and should continue to get better. We need help at other areas a lot more than a guy who'd be a RT here at the cost of the 4th pick overall.

tonyraye

Cheerleader
Reaction score
I feel that if there is a pick at #4 then it should be secondary above all else. I think we can get a decent DT in the 2nd round at pick #36 and I am very interested in seeing what the numbers are for Shawn Oakman. A lot of people are giving him grief because of inconsistency and lack of thick legs, but Charles Haley had skinny legs and was extremely powerful and much lighter than Oakman when he entered the NFL. Problem was, Haley was crazy, some might say that is what made him so good!?!?! If Oakman can tear it up in the combine he might be able to move himself into the 2nd or even late 1st round. I see a lot of similarities between him and Haley, aside from the difference in size (Haley was 230 lbs and 6'5" while Oakman is 6'8" and 280 lbs) and Haley's 40 was faster, 4.6 for Haley and 4.88 for Oakman (although Oakman's 40 time is a few years old), they seem very similar. If Oakman is drafted in the 3rd round I would be happy with that pick.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
No thanks to Oakman. Classic "Look like Tarzan, play like Jane" player. I'm sure he'll shine at the combine where he doesn't have to actually play football hard snap after snap.

tonyraye

Cheerleader
Reaction score
No thanks to Oakman. Classic "Look like Tarzan, play like Jane" player. I'm sure he'll shine at the combine where he doesn't have to actually play football hard snap after snap.

Well he doesn't play like Jane when he plays, I think the light went on and he had some things figured out towards the end of his season. He had trouble with higher quality players, but honestly in the third round, you won't be getting a flawless player and he would be worth the risk. I do trust the scouting dept a lot more now since Stephen Jones has taken a stronger role and the last few drafts have been pretty good. I believe it's mostly because of Stephen's ability to do his job well and control his father.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Yeah, Tunsil would be a shock but not a horrible move.

You could then cut Free the next day and create $2.5M in cap room. Some of that could then go towards Travis Frederick's contract extension. Wins all around.

Also, trade Chaz Green for a likely late draft pick.

The O Line would be dominant for years.
would keep green to see if he could be the swing tackle - at least give him this year to show something - and if he stays injured dump him.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I really think if Wentz and Goff are gone by the time we pick that means that there is a good chance that of the trifecta of Bosa, Ramsey and Jack having two of them still around. Odds are that the Titans will take Tunsil as they greatly need a top LT and he is by a lot of peoples evaluations the best and safest pick in the draft. If say Jack and Ramsey are still there I could see us getting a pretty decent offer for our pick.

and if somehow Lynch looks really good we might get an even better deal.

Assuming of course we do not take a QB ourselves.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

x2

I wouldn't take him unless he was there on day three. Somebody will overdraft him though in round two or early three I bet based on the tarzan stuff

tonyraye

Cheerleader
Reaction score
I really think if Wentz and Goff are gone by the time we pick that means that there is a good chance that of the trifecta of Bosa, Ramsey and Jack having two of them still around. Odds are that the Titans will take Tunsil as they greatly need a top LT and he is by a lot of peoples evaluations the best and safest pick in the draft. If say Jack and Ramsey are still there I could see us getting a pretty decent offer for our pick.

and if somehow Lynch looks really good we might get an even better deal.

Assuming of course we do not take a QB ourselves.

I'm a strong advocate of trading this years #4 for next years 1st round pick plus whatever fair value is. I do have a strong feeling that a team in the late 1st round might be willing to part with their 1st this year and a 1st next year, maybe even a 2ndd next year as well. That to me would be a great deal for us and would give us fire power next year to draft Fournette or Rosen (I am assuming they both come out early). Both those players are great players and I think have a big future in the NFL.

I feel this years draft is quite weak for what the team's needs are, except for DT. But we could grab one at #36 as this years DT group is very deep. DE is also a need ut I don't feel there is a "monster" player out there that would be worth a 1st round selection.

Last edited:

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm a strong advocate of trading this years #4 for next years 1st round pick plus whatever fair value is. I do have a strong feeling that a team in the late 1st round might be willing to part with their 1st this year and a 1st next year, maybe even a 2ndd next year as well. That to me would be a great deal for us and would give us fire power next year to draft Fournette or Rosen (I am assuming they both come out early). Both those players are great players and I think have a big future in the NFL.

Rosen isn't eligible until 2018.

A team in the late 1st round is a good team, and will most likely be a good team again, especially with us donating the 4th overall pick to them.

tonyraye

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Rosen isn't eligible until 2018.

A team in the late 1st round is a good team, and will most likely be a good team again, especially with us donating the 4th overall pick to them.

I thought the rules stated, 2 years after high school a player is eligible to declare for the NFL draft.

I also agree with that, which is why I feel that with the players that are available (Ramsey, Bosa, Wentz or Goff, Jack) that there are teams who will fall in love with a player and will be willing to over pay. That would give us a lot of fire power in the future and if there is an injury or two for the team that we trade with, we will be in a much better position. Look at how far the Cowboys have fallen in a season due to several key injuries.

Top Bottom