dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Roby was drafted later in the 1st but the starting backfield is made up of FA's and an UFA. We just have to hit on some of our day 2 picks which is the primary issue. It seems liek the only way we can solve any gaping issues are with 1st round picks then we just seem to forget how to draft after that.

There's some pretty decent to good players on this team that weren't drafted in the first round.

Lawrence, Crawford, Lee, Scandrick, Witten, for all the abuse he gets T Williams is a decent 2nd WR, Murray when he was here wasn't a first. Free.

That's just the one's off the top of my head.

Unless a team is just brain dead or hammered with awful luck, most of their best players should be early picks. Its why those guys are typically early picks.

dgfred

Spectator
Reaction score
Don't forget that Ramsey was a track star at Fla St... so he can keep up with WR.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't forget that Ramsey was a track star at Fla St... so he can keep up with WR.

That's fine, I hope he does that well for someone else.

I'd rather us draft a QB or somebody that sacks QB's

dgfred

Spectator
Reaction score
That is fine, but when Romo is playing and the sacks ain't coming around... somebody better be back there to stop the other team.

I did one draft each on the other thread... just for you ;)

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ramsey would not be by top choice but I will not be upset at all if we take him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Ramsey would not be by top choice but I will not be upset at all if we take him.

I wouldn't be "upset" if we took him, I don't hate the guy.

I am just not really sure he would deliver the type of impact I think we'd all be hoping to get from the 4th spot.

I'm pretty much all in for QB. Maybe DL depending who it is. I actually wouldn't hate us picking Ezekial Elliott there if we cant get the QB we want. I think maybe 10-12 is as late as he goes, and if we cant move down he would provide a major impact to the team. (If we haven't addressed RB in free agency)

Reaction score
I wouldn't be "upset" if we took him, I don't hate the guy.

I am just not really sure he would deliver the type of impact I think we'd all be hoping to get from the 4th spot.

I'm pretty much all in for QB. Maybe DL depending who it is. I actually wouldn't hate us picking Ezekial Elliott there if we cant get the QB we want. I think maybe 10-12 is as late as he goes, and if we cant move down he would provide a major impact to the team. (If we haven't addressed RB in free agency)

I'd rather have Elliott than a CB or any DE who is in this draft. Elliott would have a major impact and he's basically idiot proof ... it'd be difficult for even the Cowboys coaches to screw him up. And he'd be fun as hell to watch.

But yeah, if there is a QB available who has a solid chance of developing into a franchise QB, I think you've gotta take him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
no shit. are we too inept to find another Rawls or something?

I'm sure they can. But Rawls isn't anywhere near as good as Elliott. Neither is any other RB in this year's draft.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
RB is not a "core" position anymore. If he goes anywhere in the top 10 I'll be shocked.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
RB is not a "core" position anymore. If he goes anywhere in the top 10 I'll be shocked.

I guess it depends.

Miami appears to be losing Miller. Tampa is probably not keeping Martin. NYG probably could use a RB with Elliott's abilities and the Bears (11th)have a coach on staff that coached Elliott at OSU I believe.

Miami, Tampa and NYG all have offensive head coaches in their 1st yr and all have needs for a bigtime RB.

Elliott might be the safest pick in the draft to have not only a high impact on the team he goes to, but an almost instant high impact.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I wouldn't like Elliott at 4. I would take him in a trade down scenario. He has one of the fastest burst I've ever seen. From handoff to full speed happens quickly.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't like Elliott at 4. I would take him in a trade down scenario. He has one of the fastest burst I've ever seen. From handoff to full speed happens quickly.

Ideally that would be the case, but if you are stuck at 4, cant trade down and don't have the QB option, maybe you think about it because of what he can do and being fairly sure that he CAN have a big impact immediately.

As you mention his burst is extremely impressive, running behind this line in this run blocking scheme would probably net him a ton of long runs. Runs that Murray and McFadden routinely got 20-30 yds or so on would probably be 50-60 yd TD's with this guy.

The added bonus is he's an excellent receiver and blocker. True 3 down RB with the size and ability to carry the load.

Reaction score
After investing so heavily in the OL, it'd be foolish not to get a very talented RB to leverage the initial investment.

It doesn't have to be the top RB in the draft (although that'd be pretty great) and it doesn't have to be with the 4th pick in the draft, but getting a top RB should be a priority.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I guess it depends.

Miami appears to be losing Miller. Tampa is probably not keeping Martin. NYG probably could use a RB with Elliott's abilities and the Bears (11th)have a coach on staff that coached Elliott at OSU I believe.

Miami, Tampa and NYG all have offensive head coaches in their 1st yr and all have needs for a bigtime RB.

Elliott might be the safest pick in the draft to have not only a high impact on the team he goes to, but an almost instant high impact.

I'd say Tunsil falls into that category too. Tunsil might be the safest pick in the entire draft. I expect him to go #1 but if he does fall to #4 and the QB's are gone I'm sure there will be a trading parter for Dallas to trade back and draft Elliott.

Does any team have two #1's this year?

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I'd say Tunsil falls into that category too. Tunsil might be the safest pick in the entire draft. I expect him to go #1 but if he does fall to #4 and the QB's are gone I'm sure there will be a trading parter for Dallas to trade back and draft Elliott.

Does any team have two #1's this year?
To me Tunsil looks to be about the BPA in this draft. Ramsey does not get turnovers; Bosa is questionable in a couple of areas in that he is not an elite pass rusher and there are questions about his background; none of the three top QBs really belong in the top 10; Jack might be great but he is a LB and not a top pass rusher so...
Tunsil from all accounts has no holes in his game and a LT is always incredibly valuable. I could see if he is there at 4 and the top 2 QBs are gone we could get a deal; and if the QB left is not one we really like and someone else does we could get a real good deal.
Now my fantasy is we take him and we thus end up with an all world line....

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
To me Tunsil looks to be about the BPA in this draft. Ramsey does not get turnovers; Bosa is questionable in a couple of areas in that he is not an elite pass rusher and there are questions about his background; none of the three top QBs really belong in the top 10; Jack might be great but he is a LB and not a top pass rusher so...
Tunsil from all accounts has no holes in his game and a LT is always incredibly valuable. I could see if he is there at 4 and the top 2 QBs are gone we could get a deal; and if the QB left is not one we really like and someone else does we could get a real good deal.
Now my fantasy is we take him and we thus end up with an all world line....

If the QB's are gone and there are no trading partners I wouldn't have a problem taking Tunsil. It is a bit of overkill but if he's the best player available you kind of have to draft him. That OL would be pretty sick. The Cowboys would probably be the first team to field 5 All Pros across their line.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah, Tunsil would be a shock but not a horrible move.

You could then cut Free the next day and create $2.5M in cap room. Some of that could then go towards Travis Frederick's contract extension. Wins all around.

Also, trade Chaz Green for a likely late draft pick.

The O Line would be dominant for years.

Top Bottom