Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
But to take over a game, doesn't he need to make plays?

Roy Williams made a lot of plays, including a lot of plays on the football to go with game changing hits on receivers and RB's

Crucial stops count too.

We don't really have anyone with the range or physicality to do that on defense.

dgfred

Spectator
Reaction score
We'll see

I follow the Chargers closely... I play in a GM League with them and they are my daughter's (age 25) favorite team. I have been a Dolphins fan all my life until starting to like the Cowboys about 3 years ago... so you can ask me about the 'phins too.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I do not see the chargers going QB. Rivers is too big of a cap hit to do anything with for another 2 years at least. And he is still playing at a high level and most of all is dependable. The current regime of the chargers is very conservative; so I really doubt they go for a QB unless one of them really blow their socks off and I doubt that.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
kind of alarmed that many scouts see Ramsey as more of a safety. that might be a coy way of saying "not fast enough to hang with NFL wide receivers."

Reaction score
Tired of corners being declared the "best player in the draft."

Newman and Claiborne both were given that title. Neither played close to that. Although Newman was at least respectable.

Give me an impact player at a more premium position.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Tired of corners being declared the "best player in the draft."

Newman and Claiborne both were given that title. Neither played close to that. Although Newman was at least respectable.

Give me an impact player at a more premium position.

Unless their name was Deion Sanders, they were never "best player in the draft".

There are few corners that have ever impacted a game, each game, every game.

Even the best in his prime in this micro era in Revis has got traded around like a cheap whore.

There is a reason for that. They are overvalued.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
kind of alarmed that many scouts see Ramsey as more of a safety. that might be a coy way of saying "not fast enough to hang with NFL wide receivers."

They just don't know what he is.

But, he could be a good CB or S! He is versatile!

Bukkake-ville.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I do not see the chargers going QB. Rivers is too big of a cap hit to do anything with for another 2 years at least. And he is still playing at a high level and most of all is dependable. The current regime of the chargers is very conservative; so I really doubt they go for a QB unless one of them really blow their socks off and I doubt that.

the current regime of the Chargers barely survived this offseason...if they are bad again next year there will be a lot of new people in there running things

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Unless their name was Deion Sanders, they were never "best player in the draft".

There are few corners that have ever impacted a game, each game, every game.

Even the best in his prime in this micro era in Revis has got traded around like a cheap whore.

There is a reason for that. They are overvalued.

get SBK's Johnson out of your mouth Booze

Reaction score
No he took his opinion to the extreme and declared cb's useless. Remember the famous "good punter is more important than a good CB" line?

Cb's are important. But in today's NFL their ability to make an impact is diminished too much. No such thing as a shut down guy anymore.

If we were middle or bottom half round one, I'd be fine with it.

But a top 5 pick is a rare "opportunity" we need to take an impact player.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Denver has 3 pretty good CB's, to go with that great D Line. Carolina has a shutdown CB, again to go along with a pass rush.

I don't necessarily agree that CB's are overrated and this defense needs improvement in all three position groups.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
One's almost assuredly going to Cleveland.

While San Diego recently extended Rivers, he is older and when they originally drafted him they had Drew Brees on their roster too. Then there's the whole potential move to LA thing with them, adding a young QB (particularly if it was local CA product Goff) would help generate buzz. You also cant rule out someone trading up with either TN (which has said they would like to move down already) or San Diego.

It definitely isn't far fetched that two go before we pick, especially if Wentz and Goff both have outstanding workouts and interviews (as expected)

Keep an eye on the Rams too. They are just outside the top 10 and are in pretty desperate mode for a QB after the Nick Foles experiment failed. Also with their move to L.A. Goff would be a perfect choice for them. They could offer the house to the Chargers for that #3 pick.

If Goff is there at 4 I would at least like to know what the Rams would give up for the chance to draft Goff. They would have to pay me a shit ton to keep me from drafting Goff myself.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Denver has 3 pretty good CB's, to go with that great D Line. Carolina has a shutdown CB, again to go along with a pass rush.

I don't necessarily agree that CB's are overrated and this defense needs improvement in all three position groups.

If the Cowboys had a dominant pass rush you would see one of the corners on this team right now make the pro bowl. That's the main reason I do not want them to draft a CB. I don't care how good Ramsey is, if the Cowboys can't get sacks and consistent pressure he'll end up sucking as bad as Carr has. In fact, if they don't fix the pass rush without 2 years we'll be talking about how much Byron Jones sucks.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

As I mentioned before, Denver has two FA CB's and one UFA. Josh Norman was drafted int he 5th round by Carolina. We can argue that CB's are important but neither of those teams sold the farm on CB's.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
As I mentioned before, Denver has two FA CB's and one UFA. Josh Norman was drafted int he 5th round by Carolina. We can argue that CB's are important but neither of those teams sold the farm on CB's.

Pretty sure Denver drafted Roby in the 1st rd a couple yrs ago. Talib was signed a free agent, but he was a 1st rd pick too I believe.

That said, I wouldn't draft a CB or a safety where we are picking this year.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty sure Denver drafted Roby in the 1st rd a couple yrs ago. Talib was signed a free agent, but he was a 1st rd pick too I believe.

That said, I wouldn't draft a CB or a safety where we are picking this year.

Roby was drafted later in the 1st but the starting backfield is made up of FA's and an UFA. We just have to hit on some of our day 2 picks which is the primary issue. It seems liek the only way we can solve any gaping issues are with 1st round picks then we just seem to forget how to draft after that.

Top Bottom