Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Someone look at how many times they failed to run for a first down or TD on 3rd and 2 or less over the last 5 years.

bet it's in the teens percentage wise. They've ran the ball with smoke and mirrors for years. Delayed draws and shit. Never been successful lining up and executing a run otherwise. Especially when the defense knows it's coming.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
yeah, absolutely...Im not arguing this...Im just saying, other than last year, we never had a running game that was any good
1800 yds and 4.4 average is pretty good though. (2011)
Someone look at how many times they failed to run for a first down or TD on 3rd and 2 or less over the last 5 years.

bet it's in the teens percentage wise. They've ran the ball with smoke and mirrors for years. Delayed draws and shit. Never been successful lining up and executing a run otherwise. Especially when the defense knows it's coming.
That's a product more of this "Air Coryell" shit Carrot Top wants to run, than anything else.

He's had to go away from that this season.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I dunno what to tell you but...

2010: 1786 yds, 4.2 avg
2011: 1807 yds, 4.4 avg
2012: 1265 yds, 3.8 avg
2013: 1504 yds, 4.5 avg
2014: 800 yds, 4.9 avg (so far.)

In 12 and 13 there were much fewer attempts than in 10 and 11. Production down because carries were down.

Carries were also down because the team was constantly behind.

And none of the above accounts for the high % of rush plays that were negative or no gains. Until late last yr and this yr, we definitely have not been able to0 line up and run the ball consistently. This years rushing game looks much more like the rush game we had from 1991-1995.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
This years rushing game looks much more like the rush game we had from 1991-1995.
And even then if folks remember, getting that one needed yard didn't always happen.

I bet secretly it just kills Carrot Top to have to run the ball like Dallas is.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
I have have both Romo and Wilson on the board fantasy league. I am starting Wilson. The bets will be interesting this week.

FuzzyLumpkins

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Carries were also down because the team was constantly behind.

And none of the above accounts for the high % of rush plays that were negative or no gains. Until late last yr and this yr, we definitely have not been able to0 line up and run the ball consistently. This years rushing game looks much more like the rush game we had from 1991-1995.

Yeah negative plays were definitely an issue and short yardage was as well. We ran just fine into spread fronts and nickel but 3rd and 2 wasn't happening.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think it's wise to consider this could be marinellis last yr in big D. At least a thought anyway. I think he is a Lovie guy and him and Kiff will join him in Tampa soon. Hate to lose a guy with that kind of knowledge.

Marinelli wants another crack at being an HC more than joining Lovie in Tampa. Helping Dallas succeed would further his plan on becoming an HC moreso than being a DC under Lovie again. If Lovie doesn't turn Tamp around in the next two years, he'll likely be done.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
So.... If we beat Seattle in their house, or even if it is a close loss, is it fair to begin to believe this team is pretty good?

They were able to win against a fairly decent Houston team while they were looking ahead to Seattle. You usually get beat when you're looking ahead.

I'm feeling pretty good about Dallas' chances against Seattle Sunday.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So.... If we beat Seattle in their house, or even if it is a close loss, is it fair to begin to believe this team is pretty good?

They were able to win against a fairly decent Houston team while they were looking ahead to Seattle. You usually get beat when you're looking ahead.

I'm feeling pretty good about Dallas' chances against Seattle Sunday.

The team IS pretty good. It's the (head) coaching that sucks.

Reaction score
24-10. Started the comeback by running Foster. Coach Crimson would have started throwing 3 and outs.

By the way, Parcells said that it's not as much about the yards per carry as the number of runs per game. The year Alex Smith led the Niners to the NFC Championship the team ran 498 times for 4.1 ypc. Gore had 8 games where he had 3.6 or less ypc and they still continued to run him. Keep in mind that the QB was handcuffed in how much he was allowed to throw so everyone knew that Gore was going to run. The number of carries was not from being behind, it was game mismanagement.

Top Bottom