Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Jeff Sullivan ‏@SullyBaldHead 3m
For those obsessed with records in December, Kyle Orton is 9-9 as a starter while Nick Foles is 4-4.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Rowan Kavner ‏@KavnerDC 3m
More Jerry, prior to talking presents: "Tony will play with all the pain you want to deal him, but his doctor has to clear him."

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
mike fisher ‏@fishsports 10m
When #Cowboys Jerry talks of Romo treatment? Anti-spasmodics, ultrasound, laser, steroids, electric therapy, spinal traction. #KitchenSink

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Jeff Sullivan ‏@SullyBaldHead 18m
This Romo story becoming more bizarre with every word Garrett and Jerry say. Nothing about herniated disc. They would have to know, right?

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Tom Orsborn ‏@tom_orsborn 21m
Jerry Jones says on radio show Romo will play if docs clear him and that Garrett isn't coaching for his job.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Calvin Watkins ‏@calvinwatkins 29m
Jerry Jones said Kyle Orton knows the offensive system almost as good as Romo.

:Dunce

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
mike fisher ‏@fishsports 39m
Jerry on Romo: 'He was disappointed. He doesn't want to miss a play. Said, 'I'm going to do everything I can to be on field." #cowboys

Well, it's not up to you Tony, see Aaron Rodgers.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Dr. Jerry Jones won't rule out Tony Romo

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Dallas Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said Tuesday morning there's still a chance quarterback Tony Romo might play in the win-or-go home game against the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday night.

A source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Monday that Romo is out for the season with a back injury. Romo has a herniated disk in the lumbar region and needs to have surgery, a source told ESPN Senior NFL Insider Chris Mortensen.

"He is going through treatment beginning [Monday] and if that treatment has positive implications that it certainly has a chance to have then he should not be ruled out in any way for this game," Jones said Tuesday morning on 105.3 The Fan Dallas-Fort Worth. "On the other hand, we paid a lot of money, several years ago for just this very circumstance.

"Should we be in a situation where a game, or a possible interment time when Tony couldn't play, get the very best [we] can, and that's why we signed Kyle Orton for over $10 million three-years ago, just for this very occasion."

Jones, who said he spoke with Romo from the doctor's office on Monday afternoon, noted the quarterback was injured in the fourth quarter of Sunday's game against the Washington Redskins.

However, last Thursday, Romo was limping during the early portions of practice and while talking with quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson, motioning to his hip area. Asked after practice why he was limping, Romo said it was just normal soreness and that he was OK.

Romo didn't practice with a limp the next day or during the Redskins game until he was tripped up while escaping pressure.

"The facts are, I assure you structurally if his doctor clears him, which he can and its possible obviously he won't if Tony is in pain or Tony can't function," Jones said. "But to the extent he's cleared he can very well play."

The Cowboys normally don't reveal if players are going to miss games regardless if the player or media reports say otherwise.

But it's clear the Cowboys are preparing for life without Romo, at least for the regular-season finale.

The team will work out four quarterbacks Tuesday afternoon with the expectation to sign someone. David Carr, Tyler Thigpen, John Skelton and Richard Bartel will take part in the workout at Valley Ranch, multiple sources told ESPNDallas.com.

The goal is to have a scout team quarterback so Orton can work with the first-team offense in preparation for the Eagles game.

Orton has 69 career starts and is 35-34. He hasn't started since the 2011 regular-season finale with Kansas City.

"Feel great about Kyle Orton," coach Jason Garrett said Monday afternoon. "We'll evaluate Tony on a day by day this week. In the meantime Kyle will be the guy that's taking the snaps until Tony is ready to go. Again that's what we do at every position is get ready to go and get ready for the next opportunity that we have and obviously it's Philadelphia Sunday night."

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think it's a trick to fool the Eagles.

This is worse than professional wrestling.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
A look at Tony Romo playing through pain

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- History tells you Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo will do everything he can to play Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles, despite what sources have told ESPN is a herniated disk in his back.

“It’s like anything, you play through it,” Romo said after the 24-23 win against the Washington Redskins. “It’s football.”

Romo has played through pain countless times in his career.

In 2008 he tried to play with a broken pinky finger on his throwing hand against the St. Louis Rams, going through pregame warm-ups until the coaches decided to start Brad Johnson. Romo missed three games that year. In the finale that year against the Eagles -- a 44-6 loss -- he suffered a rib injury that led to him collapsing in the shower.

He attempted to put himself back in the game after breaking his collarbone against the New York Giants in 2010 before he was pulled back by a member of the athletic training staff. In 2011, he played through a broken rib and punctured lung, wearing a protective vest for six weeks and needed pain-killing injections.

On Sunday, with pain down his legs for most of the second half after a hit aggravated his back, Romo led the Cowboys on an 87-yard game-winning drive that ended with a fourth-and-goal touchdown pass to DeMarco Murray with 1:08 to play. Twice on the series Romo ran free from pressure to make big completions.

“Line one with Tony Romo is his competitive spirit,” coach Jason Garrett said Monday. “When you evaluate him that’s what you love about him more than anything else. He’s demonstrated that over the course of his career with us. A couple of years ago he played in San Francisco and he had that rib/lung issue and told you guys this story before he came out in the second half and literally just kind of said, ‘I’m in.’ We didn’t know the extent of the injury at that point but he went in there and played and we won that game in overtime. And he made some big throws down the stretch. That’s his nature. He’s played with injuries before. He’s played with pain before. That’s a part of the job description in the National Football League. A lot of guys on our team do that. A lot of guys around the league do. Tony’s no different but certainly you appreciate his competitive spirit, his desire to play and really at the level he played down the stretch to be able to deal with that is awfully impressive.”

Owner and general manager Jerry Jones refused to rule Romo out on his weekly radio show on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas on Tuesday, but even if he is cleared by the doctors, the Cowboys will still have to go through the long term risk and rewards of playing him.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think it's a trick to fool the Eagles.

This is worse than professional wrestling.

I bet the team introduces Kyle Orton but then right before kick off Tony Romo comes sprinting out onto the field with face paint and neon colored arm bands and starts shaking the ropes and standing on the turnbuckles.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Building up Romo for Sunday so the crowd goes crazy when he runs out of the tunnel.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I bet the team introduces Kyle Orton but then right before kick off Tony Romo comes sprinting out onto the field with face paint and neon colored arm bands and starts shaking the ropes and standing on the turnbuckles.

I can see it too.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Tony Romo's absence is too much

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Jason Garrett walked to the podium at the Cowboys practice facility on Monday afternoon like it was a normal day.

He smiled to reporters and asked how they were doing.

Things were not normal.

But Garrett tried to make it as such.

Quarterback Tony Romo has back issues so severe sources are telling ESPN he will miss the rest of the season.

Garrett won't confirm Romo's absence for the Eagles game on Sunday. Garrett handed out the standard answers for Romo as if he were the defensive end and not the franchise quarterback.

Treatment and evaluation is what Garrett basically said.

The loss of Romo might be too much to overcome for the Cowboys. Losing Romo will hurt on the field but emotionally the Cowboys might be unable to handle this.

This entire season has been drama filled.

Jay Ratliff's feud with Jerry Jones, the loss of Anthony Spencer to knee surgery, Brian Waters season-ending triceps tear, Dez Bryant's outburst in Detroit, his departure from the field at Cowboys Stadium with 1:21 remaining in the game, a change in the structure to who signals in the plays, defensive injuries and now this.

Romo, the franchise quarterback, the man whom Jerry Jones extended to a $108 million contract will miss the biggest game of the season.

It's one thing to push through adversity on the field, but another when injuries pile up so much, you can't do anything about it.

This Cowboys' team won't give up on their season, but emotionally can this group survive this?

“It's the next man up philosophy,” Garrett said. “Again that's alive and well in our organization. That is something we believe in. Our belief in it. We try as best we can in our organization to make sure we can absorb different injuries at all positions and put our roster together in such a way that if something does happen to one of our players we can put the next guy in and be a team that can function successfully.”

The biggest drama regarding the Cowboys on Sunday was their dramatic victory over the Washington Redskins in Landover, Md., where they overcame a nine point fourth-quarter deficit.

They overcame adversity in the game and kept their season alive.

Losing Romo might just be too much for them to handle.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Jerry Jones spoke to Tony Romo at doctor’s office, QB said he will do everything to play Sunday vs. Philadelphia

By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
9:22 am on December 24, 2013 | Permalink

Jerry Jones provided the latest on Tony Romo’s back injury during a Tuesday morning radio interview.

As the Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager told SportsDayDFW.com’s David Moore Monday night, Romo still has not been ruled out for Sunday’s winner-take-all season finale against Philadelphia.

“He’s going through treatment, beginning (Monday) and if that treatment has the positive implications that it certainly has the chance to have then he should not be ruled out in any way for this game,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. “Tony knows our game plan like the palm of his hand, to the end that he doesn’t practice this week or practice as much this week as he normally would have … there’s no doubt in my mind he can step in there without that practice and give us every opportunity to win the game.

“A lot of options open here. We won’t be getting into one way or the other, the detail as far as Tony’s medical aspect is concerned because No. 1, we can’t. That’s against the rules to talk about those kinds of details. The facts are, I’ll assure you that structurally, if his doctor clears him, which he can, and it’s possible … he could very well play.”

Jones, who assured that the injury occurred in the Washington game, said he talked to Romo on the phone Monday.

“Tony was there with his doctor looking over his situation, and we discussed at length what the situation was and what his thoughts were on it and I talked to the doctor two different times yesterday,” Jones said. “We went over all the different aspects of it, and what they were doing to treat him to potentially get him in shape to play this weekend.”

What did Romo say?

“He was disappointed,” Jones said. “That’s the last thing, if you know Tony close end, you can’t imagine what a competitor he is. He doesn’t want to miss a snap. He doesn’t want to miss a play. He was very disappointed. Particularly disappointed for his team, disappointed, repeated over and over again, ‘Jerry, I just can’t tell you how badly I feel relative to you and relative to my teammates. I’m going to do everything we can do here to get on that football field. We need to beat Philadelphia.’

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
‘Jerry, I just can’t tell you how badly I feel relative to you and relative to my teammates. I’m going to do everything we can do here to get on that football field. We need to beat Philadelphia.’

Yeah, that's what he said.

Top Bottom