superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Sorry but it's a big deal. Would you want someone running the country who was stupid enough to be duped into Scientology?

People need to educate themselves on the oil situation in this country. Our biggest export is oil because we have more refinery capability than anyone in the world. We just send it elsewhere because it's worth it. But this fucking obsession with getting and refining MORE of it is short-sighted and stupid. It's going to run out the question is when. Someone with real vision would be talking more about how to prepare for that than short-sighted goals about generating wealth for a dying industry.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
And drilling and refining more isn't going to do anything to drive prices down for Americans, because of the aforementioned and oil speculation. We already have, drill, and refine more than we need. It's fucking piling up as consumption continues to go down. Doing more of that is a solution to absolutely nothing, except how do we get the oil industry more money.

Reaction score
POTUS has no control over the economy. I'm surprised that more Americans haven't figured that out by now.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry but it's a big deal. Would you want someone running the country who was stupid enough to be duped into Scientology?

People need to educate themselves on the oil situation in this country. Our biggest export is oil because we have more refinery capability than anyone in the world. We just send it elsewhere because it's worth it. But this fucking obsession with getting and refining MORE of it is short-sighted and stupid. It's going to run out the question is when. Someone with real vision would be talking more about how to prepare for that than short-sighted goals about generating wealth for a dying industry.

seriously looks like you need the educating SP

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And drilling and refining more isn't going to do anything to drive prices down for Americans, because of the aforementioned and oil speculation. We already have, drill, and refine more than we need. It's fucking piling up as consumption continues to go down. Doing more of that is a solution to absolutely nothing, except how do we get the oil industry more money.

supply and demand dude, go equate yourself with the concept

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
POTUS has no control over the economy. I'm surprised that more Americans haven't figured that out by now.

they have some control with policies that are set and indirectly through leadership traits...the guy up there now has failed at both

Reaction score
they have some control with policies that are set and indirectly through leadership traits...the guy up there now has failed at both

Not really. The economy both flourished and crashed into depression under Bush. It's not like his leadership traits were alternating.

He and Clinton took advantage of the internet tech boom, got a lot of credit, and now we're at a low point. Has little to do with the POTUS though.

If you're this passionate about Romney, I hope it's for more educated reasons than the delusion that either candidate has the tools to fix the economy.

These guys are all career politicians and great liars. They all have wealth and now want the utmost power and fame. None of this is ever about Joe Citizen.

Reaction score
I haven't been a big supporter of Romney. One thing I think he would definitely be able to do though is tighten up the spending in Washington and maybe rein in our ridiculously increasing debt.

Reaction score
I don't really have faith in any of these guys, but I will say that anyone crazy enough to firmly believe in Mormonism clearly should not be leader of the free world.

Also, Romney as a governor was more moderate to liberal with many policies, to the point the GOP did not want to nominate him. There was just no one better. Can you people really buy into a candidate like that? His track record does not follow right wing beliefs, nor did the GOP want him as the nominee. Problems all over the place.

I think Romney had a great chance this week to pull some votes in the swing states, and he failed. All people are talking about today is the Clint Eastwood debacle, and most were talking hurricane and Lardo from Jersey at the beginning of the week. Romney's next chance on a national platform will come in debates vs. Obama and that's gonna be no contest really. Obama will tear him to shreds in any debate.

I bet the Romney campaign is very worried right now.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't really have faith in any of these guys, but I will say that anyone crazy enough to firmly believe in Mormonism clearly should not be leader of the free world.

Slow clap. I mean realistically it is no stupider than Christianity, but at least the majority of Christians won't shun their children if their children grow up and don't want to be mormons anymore.

Also, Romney as a governor was more moderate to liberal with many policies, to the point the GOP did not want to nominate him. There was just no one better. Can you people really buy into a candidate like that? His track record does not follow right wing beliefs, nor did the GOP want him as the nominee. Problems all over the place.

Very true. When it all started I thought, mormonism aside, that Romney was the only candidate moderate enough to get swing voters. Instead to get the nomination from his idiotic party he completely reinvented himself to be a fiscally retarded social conservative. How can anyone vote for someone who is that transparently willing to turn on his principles just to get the nomination?

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
UVA mentioned that the POTUS doesn't have an impact on the economy, or something to that effect.

Indirectly, he has an enormous effect.

Peoples perception of the POTUS is going to determine their speculation. If business owners, both big and small, perceive the POTUS as being someone with a strong understanding and someone with policies that are good for business, I think that's huge.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'd start this business that would otherwise make me tons of money but I don't like the POTUS?

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
You clearly have no idea what small businesses are going through right now.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I understand that is has close to fuck-all to do with who is president, but I'd be open to hearing how people have held off on their brilliant moneymaking ventures specifically because Obama is president.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Today's GOP

DnzqD.png

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ten Random Notes on Tampa
by Michael Tomasky Aug 31, 2012 7:13 AM EDT

Print
Email
Comments (123)

1. It was interesting that Romney didn't mention last night that Obama has "gutted" welfare. Are they going to move away from that now and just try to get the focus back on the economy? Or they just didn't want to tell that big a lie right out of Romney's mouth in front of that many people, is more like it.

2. You saw how little he, and everyone except Huckabee, talked about cultural and social issues. This means Democrats will talk a lot about them, as well they should. The D's can pick up huge points, especially among women, if they do this correctly next week.

3. Romney didn't lie on a Ryanesque scale, but he still came up with some whoppers. The imaginary (that word again!) apology tour. The same old Medicare lie. (Again, in case you've missed this: Romney's plans, if carried out as promised, would force cuts of nearly 30 percent to Medicare in his first term.)

4. Combined with his ridiculous vagueness, which several commenters have criticized, I think he gives the D's an opening to say that he's not being straight with voters, or doesn't respect the voters, or something like that. Accuse him of lying, it just gets his back up, and he gets all righteous, and it's just he said/he said. But accuse him of not respecting voters enough to level with them, and he may get nervous and twitchy like he does sometimes.

5. Three high-profile speeches--Christie, Rice, and Rubio, one each night--had people obviously positioning themselves for 2016. Doesn't say much about their confidence in their man this year.

6. I guess Stuart Stephens was in charge of this thing. He gets a pretty lousy grade. The Eastwood nonsense first and foremost. But letting the above three give the speeces they gave, also. I guess only Christie was inexcusable, but he was the keynoter. But in organizational terms, thematic terms, this convention was very leaky.

7. So it turns out, according to Sondra Locke's longstanding testimony, which Eastwood hasn't to my knowledge refuted, that she had two abortions at his urging. Democrats might not make a big deal out of this, but just imagine if a Hollywood person involved in business like that had spoken at a Democratic convention.

8. For the record, the day I voted for Obama wasn't the peak of the last four years as far as I'm concerned. The day we got bin Laden was a good day. The day don't ask, don't tell ended was a good day. The day health-care passed was a good day, and Dodd-Frank, and the equal pay act.

9. I wouldn't be shocked if this is the next-to-last three-day convention we ever see, next week's being the last.

10. Bounce? I think minimal. Some polls will inevitably register a couple of points, and some nothing at all. The automated overnights are more likely to show a bump in Romney support, and I'd bet the more legitimate polls don't show much. I'd be surprised at more, but who knows.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score

Oh, this is just cute. Punk thinking he knows all about the oil industry now, too.

Tell us more...

Top Bottom