Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Held off on their brilliant money making ventures?

Nobody is starting a business right now. Nobody is hiring right now.

It has everything to do with perception/speculation. People don't like where we are, they have no idea where we're going.

Uncertainty has everything to do with the administration and it's leader.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Oh, this is just cute. Punk thinking he knows all about the oil industry now, too.

Tell us more...

Dependency is a great thing, NoDak.

Besides, what will these Other countries do without being able to bleed us dry? Not fair.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
NoDak, could you guys please get way worse at refining this stuff? Leave more shit at the bottom of the barrel.

My suppliers are telling me that you guys are getting so good at refining, that there's next to nothing left for them to make their comp shingles.

I blame you.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
That's weird because statistically while unemployment is still high I'm pretty sure it has been declining since 2009?

Since Obama took office?

You want me to disagree with you or something?

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Since Obama took office?

You want me to disagree with you or something?

No that would be a mistake.

Did a rambling Clint Eastwood ruin Mitt Romney's big night?
The GOP learns the hard way that an empty chair, an imaginary President Obama, and an octogenarian Hollywood star may be a recipe for disaster
posted on August 31, 2012, at 11:25 AM
Clint Eastwood stole the show on the final night of the GOP convention — but not in a good way.

Clint Eastwood stole the show on the final night of the GOP convention — but not in a good way. Photo: Mark Wilson/Getty Images SEE ALL 233 PHOTOS

Best Opinion: New Yorker, L.A. Times, Wash. Examiner

The final night of the Republican National Convention was meant to be a coronation of Mitt Romney, who fulfilled a years-long ambition by accepting his party's nomination for president. But the talk Friday morning isn't all about Romney or his speech, which for the most part was considered a safe and solid effort. Instead, the dominant story is about Clint Eastwood, the much-vaunted "mystery speaker" that Team Romney teased the press with for days. Before Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) delivered a widely admired address introducing Romney on Thursday night, Eastwood offered a rambling, incoherent speech in which he spoke to an empty chair that was meant to represent an imaginary President Obama. (Watch a video of the speech below.) The 82-year-old actor lurched from one topic to the next — the economy, the war in Afghanistan, and the military prison camp in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. At one point he apparently imagined Obama telling Romney to go [expletive] himself. ("What do you want me to tell Mr. Romney?" Eastwood asked. "I can't tell him that," he responded to his own question. "He can't do that to himself.") The speech was almost universally panned. Did it ruin Romney's convention?

Yes. Romney was totally upstaged: "There's an old adage in Hollywood: Never share the screen with dogs or children — you'll get upstaged," says John Cassidy at The New Yorker. "After last night's bizarro performance by Clint Eastwood…doddering old men should be added to the list." Romney gave a "pretty good speech," but "Twitter and the rest of the web was still abuzz with Clint" when Romney was speaking. Unfortunately for Mitt, "the only thing that most people will remember about [the convention] is the jarring picture of a frail-looking American screen legend, his hair askew, standing and talking in a halting voice to an empty chair."
"Raving Clint spoils Romney's big night"

But the Tampa crowd loved Clint: Eastwood's stunt, which will go down "as the strangest televised moment in convention history," left viewers at home "slack-jawed," says Mary McNamara at the Los Angeles Times. But the audience at the Tampa Bay Times Forum "went wild." Indeed, "from the loud and adoring reaction of the crowd, one sensed that if he had asked the delegates to switch their votes, Eastwood would be the Republican nominee today." Poor Mitt Romney: After years of campaigning he is "finally the Republican presidential nominee, but the man everyone's talking about is Clint Eastwood — who has apparently lost his mind."
"Clint Eastwood and his imaginary non-friend at the convention"

Come on. Let's focus on what matters: It's baffling that "such a carefully run campaign chose to" let Eastwood ramble without a script "as millions of people waited for Mitt Romney's speech," says Byron York at The Washington Examiner. But let's not forget that Romney's speech "was solid and well delivered," and that "the most affecting moments" of the convention happened long before Eastwood took the stage. "The Romney campaign put together an extended narrative of Romney's life," filled with details about his work, family, and faith, and that shouldn't be forgotten amidst the brouhaha over Eastwood.
"The most extraordinary story of the GOP convention"

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
True and true.

But, you guys do have Biden.

Big difference there, tho.

Eastwood is an old actor that has no stroke in politics.

Biden is one bullet with bad intentions away from being president himself.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'll highlight the interesting parts this time sheik :p

Chances are you've at least heard about Eastwood's "speech," but for those who missed it, trust me when I tell you it's worth your time. As Rachel explained on the air once it was over, "That was the weirdest thing I've ever seen at a political convention in my entire life, and it will be the weirdest thing I've ever seen if I live to be 100."

Apparently, the Romney campaign thought it would be a good idea to send an 82-year-old man onto the stage without prepared remarks. Eastwood was an odd choice anyway -- he's pro-choice and supports gay rights -- but I can appreciate the fact that the man enjoys an iconic status. He was the "surprise" guest, and convention organizers scrapped a compelling Romney bio film, just so Americans could see the Hollywood star's remarks.

Oops.

Jamelle Bouie, in arguably my favorite line of the convention, said, "This is a perfect representation of the campaign: an old white man arguing with an imaginary Barack Obama."

And even if we look past the bizarre chair shtick and the rambling remarks, the points Eastwood tried to make were a mess. The actor wants to withdraw quickly from Afghanistan, which is the opposite of Romney's position. Eastwood thinks it's a bad idea "for attorneys to be president," overlooking the fact that Romney has a law degree. He even felt comfortable mocking Joe Biden's speeches, even while delivering a meandering, cringe-inducing speech of his own.

But what helped make this a truly epic convention moment was the realization among Republicans that they'd made a horrible mistake. Paul Ryan was shown on camera looking deeply uncomfortable; Romney aides were overcome with a sense of dread; and it only took a few minutes for the campaign to start telling reporters that they weren't responsible for this train wreck.

A month from now, no one will remember a word from Romney's speech, but a decade from now, we'll still be talking about the time a confused Clint Eastwood had a debate with an empty chair, and lost.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Gunna put yallll back in chains!!!!!!

Right after we creat some 3-letter words. . . J-O-B-S. jobs.

Reaction score
UVA mentioned that the POTUS doesn't have an impact on the economy, or something to that effect.

Indirectly, he has an enormous effect.

Peoples perception of the POTUS is going to determine their speculation. If business owners, both big and small, perceive the POTUS as being someone with a strong understanding and someone with policies that are good for business, I think that's huge.

Oh yeah?

Find some concrete examples of this and get back to us. Feel free to start at George Washington.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Oh yeah?

Find some concrete examples of this and get back to us. Feel free to start at George Washington.

Look around you. Are companies hiring? Why not?

We're going down right now financially. You think a president that wants to penalize the rich and middle class inspires economic growth? Or is it more likely that they'll cut back and make due until there's a plan in place that helps them help us?

Reaction score
Without wasting too much time, your point is completely negated if you simply go back and look at the last administration. Bush was in office for both a great economic boom and a huge recession. It's not like businesses woke up one day were all like "yeah I am not really feeling comfortable with this president anymore, so I'm gonna start firing employees and outsourcing".

Top Bottom