dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Paul Ryan fails -- the truth
By Jonathan Bernstein

It was, by any reasonable standards, a staggering, staggering lie. Here’s Paul Ryan about Barack Obama:

He created a bipartisan debt commission. They came back with an urgent report. He thanked them, sent them on their way, and then did exactly nothing.

“They.” “Them.” “Them.” Those words are lies. Because Paul Ryan was on that commission. “Came back with an urgent report.” That is a lie. The commission never made any recommendations for Barack Obama to support or oppose. Why not? Because the commission voted down its own recommendations. Why? Because Paul Ryan, a member of the commission, voted it down and successfully convinced the other House Republicans on the commission to vote it down.

That wasn’t the only bit of mendacity – lazy mendacity, incredibly lazy mendacity – in Ryan’s speech. Twitter lit up as soon as he started telling the story of the Janesville auto plant that Barack Obama didn’t save – a plant that, it turns out, closed before Obama was president. And of course there’s the infamous cuts to Medicare that Ryan lambasted Obama for without happening to mention that those very same cuts were in Paul Ryan’s own budget. Yes: absolutely everything in Obamacare is an abomination, says Paul Ryan, except for (as he forgets to mention) the cuts to Medicare that he supports – and yet he still singles that part out to use as an attack.

It isn’t even true in some symbolic or abstract way. The real truth is that Paul Ryan completely rejects the approach of that commission – because it includes tax increases along with spending cuts – while Barack Obama has, while not endorsing the exact plan that Ryan shot down, basically endorsed the commission’s approach. Nor was this a side point; Ryan's complaint about Obama on the deficit was absolutely central to his case against the president.

And then there’s the logic of the whole thing. As Seth Masket said, it all comes down to arguing “we must cut entitlements! Obama cutting entitlements is un-American.” There’s also, as many were pointing out, the plain fact that until January 2009 Paul Ryan faithfully supported all the tax cuts and spending increases which created the deficit problem he’s been so concerned about since January 2009.

But really, the proper response to a speech like this isn’t to carefully analyze the logic, or to find instances of hypocracy; it’s to call the speaker out for telling flat-out lies to the American people. Paul Ryan has had what I’ve long thought was an undeserved good reputation among many in the press and in Washington. It shouldn’t survive tonight’s speech.

You need to quit relying on Obama news outlets like the NY Times and Huffington Post.

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/08/30/fact-checking-the-factcheckers-on-ryans-speech/

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Romney and Ryan do nothing but lie. Hell Romney said the other day he doesn't give a shit about fact checkers.

And you'll gobble that shit up all day long.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
PS that's from the WP and I don't think it said anything about Ryan's Plant lie so idk wtf you're on about.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Speaking of regulations on small business. . .

Anyone familiar with title 24 in Cali? What a dumb fuck set of regulations.

The worst part is, I have to use compliant materials, but I also have to lie to my customers and tell them the material is necessary and worth paying 3 times what they should.

I suspect in 5 years, just like every other green regulation, the regulations will prove to be obsolete in the way of effectiveness.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Fuck 5 years, the sales rep from Owens Corning told me point blank, 3 years into the aging process of a title 24 cool roof shingle, the marginal benefit is obsolete.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Romney and Ryan do nothing but lie. Hell Romney said the other day he doesn't give a shit about fact checkers.

And you'll gobble that shit up all day long.

Obama's the bastion of truth? Dude's the biggest horseshit lair we've ever put in the White House. Hell he still cant decide if he garbage Obamacare law is a tax or not.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
PS that's from the WP and I don't think it said anything about Ryan's Plant lie so idk wtf you're on about.

did you even read the garbage you posted?

Twitter lit up as soon as he started telling the story of the Janesville auto plant that Barack Obama didn’t save – a plant that, it turns out, closed before Obama was president.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Fuck 5 years, the sales rep from Owens Corning told me point blank, 3 years into the aging process of a title 24 cool roof shingle, the marginal benefit is obsolete.

There is quite a bit of overagressiveness in environmental controls/laws/progress. And it's kind of hypocritical in alot of cases based on who is lobbying for what. For instance farmers dumping shit on their crops is far worse for the environment than any residential development, but they face far fewer restrictions and requirements for environmental development.

It may be a knee-jerk reaction but I don't think of it as a bad thing. We were on a highway to hell in the late 80s and 90s with all the shit we were pumping into the atmosphere and ground. And it's still bad so better safe than sorry, and if we wait until we know exactly the best way to do it with exactly the best materials it could be too late.

And in terms of the economy I think green energy/development is a good thing. It has created all sorts of new industry.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
ok there was one sentence in there about it. Twitter was wrong. Big surprise. The rest of the article is fine.

the rest of the article was garbage too SP, the thing is I honestly believe you know it

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
I agree. They won't employ if there's nothing to gain.

We can't just keep giving poor people money, though. What happens is, they spend the free money, then they're right back to being poor again.

Guess who they just gave that money to. . . The rich people that gave it to them in the first place.

Vicious cycle that would be never ending. Won't fix anything, IMO.
It is sad that liberals cant figure this out. No matter what you give the poor they are still going to be poor because if they had the mental capacity to be lower-middle class they would already be.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
1. Start a businees
2. Hire employees/create jobs.
3. Raise taxes on said businesses
4. Regulate the fuck out of them.
5. Businesses cut back, fire able workers.
6. Highest unemployment rates we've seen.
7. Wtf?

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
It is sad that liberals cant figure this out. No matter what you give the poor they are still going to be poor because if they had the mental capacity to be lower-middle class they would already be.

Exactly right.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
3. Raise taxes on said businesses
4. Regulate the fuck out of them.
5. Businesses cut back, fire able workers.

objection, your honor: nearly completely unrelated

No business has ever fired someone to fucking save money on taxes. Give me a break man. They are fired because they are an overhead that isn't required to meet demand. That's it. The end. That's the list.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score

No business has ever fired someone to fucking save money on taxes. Give me a break man. They are fired because they are an overhead that isn't required to meet demand. That's it. The end. That's the list.

In what world do live in where taxes aren't an overhead? Business tax.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
And they're factored into the cost of keeping someone employed.

Noone is fired because of a tax. If they were needed to meet demand (and were productive) they would still have a job no matter what taxes were levied on the company.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

need to associate yourself with the term "laid off" then

Excessive taxes are something that contributes to overhead...you overtax and over regulate companies, cash flow goes down...which causes employers to cut back on 1) production or 2) employees or 3) both

Top Bottom