Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don’t know anything about that. I guess it’s payback for taking the land from them.

That happened a long time ago. It's time they get off their asses and stop looking for a free ride because of it.

Reaction score
How is it disrespectful?
Really?

Not like I think it's the most awful thing in the world today.

But if they renamed the Cowboys the Dallas Honkeys and had a logo that included a buck toothed, freckled, ginger eating white bread on the helmet, I probably would think that's disrespectful.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Really?

Not like I think it's the most awful thing in the world today.

But if they renamed the Cowboys the Dallas Honkeys and had a logo that included a buck toothed, freckled, ginger eating white bread on the helmet, I probably would think that's disrespectful.

Redskins is not a racial slur though.

It would be like calling a team the Whiteskins or Blackskins.

WGAS

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Ask the 500 groups of natives that have had issues with it. They feel it’s a derogatory term. Why would you be offended by it, it doesn’t apply to you? America is about equality. If one race doesn’t feel like they are treated as such, then it needs to be addressed.

?

Equality has nothing to do with it. Native Americans do not have the right not to be offended. Mormons would probably love to quash a Broadway play that mocks their faith, but they can't. The only thing American Indians can do is appeal to the Redskins' better judgment, but they cannot force or coerce them to do the "right thing."

Reaction score
Redskins is not a racial slur though.

It would be like calling a team the Whiteskins or Blackskins.

WGAS
Of course it is. It's a term used to refer to a specific race. No one uses the terms whiteskins or blackskins, but if they did, they would be racial slurs too.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Of course it is. It's a term used to refer to a specific race. No one uses the terms whiteskins or blackskins, but if they did, they would be racial slurs too.

White is used to refer to a specific race, as is black, Asian, Indian, and Middle Eastern. I still don't understand how it's offensive.

Anyway, I have more important things to do - unlike the people who get offended by the name of a football team.

Reaction score
White is used to refer to a specific race, as is black, Asian, Indian, and Middle Eastern. I still don't understand how it's offensive.

Anyway, I have more important things to do - unlike the people who get offended by the name of a football team.
Is there an American sports team called the Blacks that I don't know about? If there were, it would be disrespectful too.

I didn't say I was offended. You claimed you didn't see how it was disrespectful. I can see how it would be disrespectful to someone who identifies as Native American.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Is there an American sports team called the Blacks that I don't know about? If there were, it would be disrespectful too.

I didn't say I was offended. You claimed you didn't see how it was disrespectful. I can see how it would be disrespectful to someone who identifies as Native American.

I don't think they're really offended, but if they are they can get over it.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
on the one hand, you have the argument that offended people simply need to get over it. your right to be offended doesn't trump my right to say whatever I want.

On the other hand, that doesn't exactly apply to racial slurs.

However, unlike most racial slurs, redskin doesn't carry a negative connotation for anyone outside of a small segment of native americans. And if there are instances where someone calls a NA a "redskin" as a pejorative, I bet they are extremely rare.

If anything I'd argue having a team named the Redskins has helped to remove almost all negative connotation from the word.

Maybe we should start naming other sports teams racial epithets to remove the stigma.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We got through this every fucking offseason.

Political Correctness is a joke.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
on the one hand, you have the argument that offended people simply need to get over it. your right to be offended doesn't trump my right to say whatever I want.

On the other hand, that doesn't exactly apply to racial slurs.

However, unlike most racial slurs, redskin doesn't carry a negative connotation for anyone outside of a small segment of native americans. And if there are instances where someone calls a NA a "redskin" as a pejorative, I bet they are extremely rare.

If anything I'd argue having a team named the Redskins has helped to remove almost all negative connotation from the word.

Maybe we should start naming other sports teams racial epithets to remove the stigma.

Oh really? I live right next to a reservation and I dare you to speak to a couple of them and call them Redskins.

You can stay with me.

Reaction score
Wasn't one of Hostile's stepdeddy's an Indian? Didn't he dare anyone to call him a Redskin to his face?

That settles it for me right there.

Reaction score
The briefing paper also appeals for a sensitivity that society has acquired toward other minorities. “’[R]edskin’ is the most vile term to use to refer to a Native person. It is never used in a neutral way. The Trademark Office would surely not register a trademark that uses the ‘n-word’ in reference to African-Americans. And in 2008, the Trademark Office refused to register a trademark containing the term ‘heeb’ because that term may disparage Jews. If the “n-word” and “heeb” are not eligible for registration, American Indians cannot understand why the federal government endorses use of the most offensive term that can be used to refer to them,” the paper says.

And for those who continue to believe that the term “redskins” is not offensive, the briefing paper lists nearly a dozen dictionaries that define the term as disparaging and offensive, lists more than a dozen schools and universities that have dropped the name in recent years, and reminds legislators that in 2005 the National Collegiate Athletic Association, the governing body for college athletics, condemned the use of these disparaging references and banned the use of Native Indian names, logos and mascots by colleges and universities during its championship tournaments.

Read more at http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...ces-bill-ban-racist-redskins-trademark-148292

Top Bottom