Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If I owned the team I'd change it before I ended up looking like a reluctant asshole as the rest of the league decides enough is enough and changes it for me. Then I'd sell all the new merchandise and beat off on piles of cash that spelt out "Redskins", just to show them all who's really the boss.

On a serious note, what does anyone in this thread have invested in that name so much that they're staunchly opposed?

I've heard the whole PC argument about a thousand times and nobody has ever really quantified what they'll lose if an NFL team changes its name. Sure, Redskins fans would lose a shit ton of money in memorabilia but I'm not shedding a tear for fans who buy other team's memorabilia. I think most memorabilia is just money down the drain anyway. Unless you have something really rare and in demand, you've basically got a piece of shit that nobody will buy for the price you think it's worth and so your just shackled to that game-worn jockstrap for life.

I'm not sure my life would change one bit. I'm not sure it would change half as much as when they announced that American Idol was coming back.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
You can't just assume that the same word applied to your race would have the same connotations for you.

What about Washington Jon88 is a Fucktards? You think if they used your picture and altered it to be derogatory, you wouldn't care?

Is there any name they could call themselves that would offend you?

The Washington Foil Hats. It's far too damn perfect.

Reaction score
If I owned the team I'd change it before I ended up looking like a reluctant asshole as the rest of the league decides enough is enough and changes it for me. Then I'd sell all the new merchandise and beat off on piles of cash that spelt out "Redskins", just to show them all who's really the boss.

On a serious note, what does anyone in this thread have invested in that name so much that they're staunchly opposed?

I've heard the whole PC argument about a thousand times and nobody has ever really quantified what they'll lose if an NFL team changes its name. Sure, Redskins fans would lose a shit ton of money in memorabilia but I'm not shedding a tear for fans who buy other team's memorabilia. I think most memorabilia is just money down the drain anyway. Unless you have something really rare and in demand, you've basically got a piece of shit that nobody will buy for the price you think it's worth and so your just shackled to that game-worn jockstrap for life.

I'm not sure my life would change one bit. I'm not sure it would change half as much as when they announced that American Idol was coming back.

Good post. And I actually think the Redskins memorabilia would probably become more valuable... not that I think it's all that valuable now. But when the team name changes, you're not going to be able to get Redskins memorabilia anymore.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I almost bought a wooden 1 dimensional replica that said Cowboys Stadium on it in the Pro Shop for $9.99. Then I remembered where my money would go and I quickly came to my senses.

Reaction score
Dude, that would be worth like $10.25 now since the stadium's name has changed. It's a piece of history now.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
I almost bought a wooden 1 dimensional replica that said Cowboys Stadium on it in the Pro Shop for $9.99. Then I remembered where my money would go and I quickly came to my senses.

Where do you think the money you spent for the tour went, jeenyus?

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score

Hoof, as usual, another well thought out post. I would have zero effect on my life if they changed the name. I really don't give a shit. The PC argument is my one and only problem. I have the same problem with a forced name change with the Redskins as I had when Ole Miss got rid of Col. Rebel as the teams mascot. Any of these changes that happen strictly due to PC pressure, I am against. I don't see any benefit coming from a team name change other than the PC crowd having another small victory before they find something else to be offended about. It will never end as long as people keeps giving in to this crap.

Reaction score

Solid

buckup

Reaction score
It seems like they probably changed their mascot from Col. Rebel because they didn't want their mascot to represent losing.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
It seems like they probably changed their mascot from Col. Rebel because they didn't want their mascot to represent losing.

No, they changed it because they were afraid it would offend black players that they were trying to recruit. I would rather lose every game with white boys than give in to this kinda shit.

Top Bottom