Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Carolina people now saying door isn't shut for Norman to return.

Translation: We rescinded the tag so you could find your true market value. Then we'll ante up.

What do you mean, coach? You don't think someone will pay me that much?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You mean exactly like Dez did in his contract year right?

Yes you are correct! It happens

Again, the proof is in the puddin (Dez)

Dez got injured genius, a very serious injury that required complicated surgery. Pretty sure the contract he signed didn't cause him to be injured.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jon Machota
✔ ‎‎@jonmachota

Cowboys VP Stephen Jones on @1053thefan said what Josh Norman is looking for financially is "probably past what we're comfortable with."

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Jon Machota
‎‎@jonmachota

Cowboys VP Stephen Jones on @1053thefan said what Josh Norman is looking for financially is "probably past what we're comfortable with."

Thank God Stephen is in charge of the money. If Norman signed with Dallas we all would be talking about him like we do with Carr within 2 years. Only we would be in the hook for $30 mil more than Carr.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Is that like how the late first was "too rich" for Eric Reid?

Really thinking Steve is either scared, or a billionaire cheapskate, or both. We may have gone from one extreme (gambling overspender) to the other.

And edit -- come on, dude. Norman is better than Carr ever was. Much better.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Is that like how the late first was "too rich" for Eric Reid?

Really thinking Steve is either scared, or a billionaire cheapskate, or both. We may have gone from one extreme (gambling overspender) to the other.

And edit -- come on, dude. Norman is better than Carr ever was. Much better.

Carr was really good in KC because he had a pass rush (and his coaches knew how to use him). Norman was a 5th round pick and would be no better than Carr without that pass rush.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Thank God Stephen is in charge of the money. If Norman signed with Dallas we all would be talking about him like we do with Carr within 2 years. Only we would be in the hook for $30 mil more than Carr.

Norman is significantly better than Carr.

Norman - 2015 - 16 games started, 56 tackles, 19 passes defended, 4 INT, 2 TD's, 3 FF, 1st team All Pro, Pro Bowler

Carr has 13 passes defended, 0 ONT, 0 TD, and 0 FF in the last 2 years combined.

Carr will count $13,817,000 against this year's cap and will be paid $9,100,00 in actual salary this year.

I'd roll the dice on Norman.

Carr is 7 months older than Norman.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Norman is significantly better than Carr.

Norman - 2015 - 16 games started, 56 tackles, 19 passes defended, 4 INT, 2 TD's, 3 FF, 1st team All Pro, Pro Bowler

Carr has 13 passes defended, 0 ONT, 0 TD, and 0 FF in the last 2 years combined.

Carr will count $13,817,000 against this year's cap and will be paid $9,100,00 in actual salary this year.

I'd roll the dice on Norman.

Carr is 7 months older than Norman.

What were Carr's stats his last year in KC before he got that contract?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
13 passes defended, 4 INT, 0 TD, 0 FF

So Norman was only slightly better than Carr was in 2011. He's the same age (well 1 year younger) and wants an $80 mil/5 year contract ($40 mil guaranteed). No way in hell I would even approach giving a CB that much money. Especially with no pass rush and with Frederick's and Martin's contracts coming up in the next 2-3 years. Signing and aging CB would cost us Martin, no thanks.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So Norman was only slightly better than Carr was in 2011. He's the same age (well 1 year younger) and wants an $80 mil/5 year contract ($40 mil guaranteed). No way in hell I would even approach giving a CB that much money. Especially with no pass rush and with Frederick's and Martin's contracts coming up in the next 2-3 years. Signing and aging CB would cost us Martin, no thanks.

Yep, better to pay Carr $13M to continue to do nothing.

Makes sense.

Norman had an MVP-type season last year. Carr's contract year was nowhere as impactful.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Yep, better to pay Carr $13M to continue to do nothing.

Makes sense.

Norman had an MVP-type season last year. Carr's contract year was nowhere as impactful.

I never said keep Carr. I said stay away from giving an aging CB $80 mil when this team has zero pass rush. If they can build a dominant pass rush this team will have a CB approach what Norman did or what Sherman does in Seattle. Any coincidence that both Norman, and Sherman were late round picks yet have been successful? What's the common denominator? An elite pass rush. I'd rather invest that $80 mil on DL and LB.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Carr was never "really good." He was just the best of that FA class when we decided we had to have new corners. It was him or Finnegan, and Finnegan was older and smaller.

Carr was the better of the two but that doesn't mean he was every really good. Certainly never close to as good as Norman was last year.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Carr was never "really good." He was just the best of that FA class when we decided we had to have new corners. It was him or Finnegan, and Finnegan was older and smaller.

Carr was the better of the two but that doesn't mean he was every really good. Certainly never close to as good as Norman was last year.

Same number of int's as Norman.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Norman wasn't really any good till this last year either. He had a great year last yr for sure, but I am absolutely skeptical he's a probowler every yr for next 3-5 yrs as well.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I never said keep Carr. I said stay away from giving an aging CB $80 mil when this team has zero pass rush. If they can build a dominant pass rush this team will have a CB approach what Norman did or what Sherman does in Seattle. Any coincidence that both Norman, and Sherman were late round picks yet have been successful? What's the common denominator? An elite pass rush. I'd rather invest that $80 mil on DL and LB.

Which would be fine if we are going to use our existing cap room and any additional existing cap room from cutting Carr to go get someone, which we have shown this off-season we are not going to do. That cap room is doing nothing.

We are just going to keep Carr and then act surprised when he plays mediocre at best again.

And seriously, we are in no danger of losing Frederick or Martin. Both will have their 5th year's picked up. When it comes time for Martin's new deal, Romo and his monster contract will be gone. Even if Romo somehow miraculously lasts until 2019 (when Martin can become an UFA), Romo will restructure or more likely take a paycut from his $20M base salary.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Which would be fine if we are going to use our existing cap room and any additional existing cap room from cutting Carr to go get someone, which we have shown this off-season we are not going to do. That cap room is doing nothing.

We are just going to keep Carr and then act surprised when he plays mediocre at best again.

And seriously, we are in no danger of losing Frederick or Martin. Both will have their 5th year's picked up. When it comes time for Martin's new deal, Romo and his monster contract will be gone. Even if Romo somehow miraculously lasts until 2019 (when Martin can become an UFA), Romo will restructure or more likely take a paycut from his $20M base salary.

So you're willing to restructure Romo's contract in 2019? That's an even worse idea than give $80 mil to an aging CB.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So you're willing to restructure Romo's contract in 2019? That's an even worse idea than give $80 mil to an aging CB.

Sure.

As it is now, he will get a base salary of $20.5M in 2019 and count $23.7M against the cap. He'll get paid that $20.5M salary.

You restructure him and extend him one year.

Restructure bonus of $10M and a base salary of $5M, immediately frees up $10.5M in cap room. You push $5M of the $10M restructure bonus and a mythical base salary of whatever you want into 2020 because Romo isn't playing. You take a dead money hit of $5M in 2020, which is worth it because you freed up more than $10M the previous year which some of will go to Martin's extension.

Again, this is going on the ridiculous notion that Romo at age 39 is still on the roster.

Martin is going nowhere.

Top Bottom