jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Jerry trying to clone his past stars and bread winners.

If this franchise is still giving out the #54 to scabs like Darrin Hambrick and Bobby Carpenter then nothing is surprising.

Bernadeau wearing Larry Allen's old number is a damn insult to me and Berny should have refused to wear it out of respect.

Reaction score
Jerry trying to clone his past stars and bread winners.

If this franchise is still giving out the #54 to scabs like Darrin Hambrick and Bobby Carpenter then nothing is surprising.

I'm confused. Did we used to have a good player that wore 54?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Randy Gregory had to convince Jerry Jones before Cowboys picked

IRVING, Texas -- Before the Dallas Cowboys picked Randy Gregory in the second round of the NFL draft Friday night, owner and general manager Jerry Jones spoke with the sliding Nebraska defensive end.

Looked at as one of the best pass-rushers available in the draft, Gregory was not picked in Thursday's first round because of a failed drug test at the NFL scouting combine and other off-field issues. As his name continued to slide down the draft board, the Cowboys' interest began to rise.

They toyed with the idea of moving up to get Gregory but remained at No. 60, content to get him or another player there if a team selected him before the Cowboys picked.

But before the Cowboys could feel completely comfortable, Jones wanted to speak with Gregory. On Friday, Gregory chatted via text with Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli and assistant director of player personnel Will McClay.

The week before the draft, the Cowboys had Gregory at Valley Ranch for a visit. Jones spent 35 minutes in his office going over all of the player's off-field issues.

In the visit, Gregory asked the Cowboys, like he did other teams, for a support system to help him through his issues. He denied that he had mental health issues, but he acknowledged marijuana has been a problem.

"There is no question in my mind he is very aware and wants to do better and wants help," Jones said.

The league has programs in place to help players. The Cowboys' player development program has long been considered one of the best in the NFL.

On a number of occasions Jones has taken personal interest in several players. Teams shied away from Dez Bryant in 2010 but the Cowboys moved up to take him in the first round. In 2008, they added Adam Jones and Tank Johnson, who ran afoul of the law and the NFL. In the past, the Cowboys have taken risks of varying levels in Charles Haley, Alonzo Spellman and Dimitrius Underwood. There are more players helped by Jones that we don't know.

Jones said he once called more than 150 creditors of a former player to ask if they would take 30 cents on the dollar to be square.

"It's for all the right reasons," Jones said. "It's to help a player of ours. We're together. We're on a team, we work together and you want to help anybody that you can. But from the standpoint of helping our players get better, get more responsible, get their bills in order, certainly we know all of that makes a healthier situation."

Before Jones can be involved personally, the player has to consent. The league prevents teams from getting involved in players' off-field affairs otherwise.

"The world is our oyster if we can really get in and work if the player wants to do it and get in close with knowledge and information with me," Jones said. "My hands are tied if the player just says, ‘I'd rather not have Mr. Jones in my stuff, I don't think that's smart.'"

Bryant has been one of Jones' success stories. In 2012, the team put rules in place that helped keep Bryant on the right path. Jones has been allowed to co-sign on Bryant's checks to make sure the receiver did not get in financial trouble.

But the rules in place for Bryant do not transfer to Gregory.

"This isn't a cookie-cutter thing in any way with any individual," Jones said.

There could be selfish reasons to want to help because of Gregory's ability to rush the passer, but Jones doesn't have to help. He likes to tell his players at training camp that he can be anywhere else in the world but chooses to be there because of the love he has for the job.

Before Jones turned in the card with Gregory's name on it, he needed to be convinced.

"It takes some individuals that really love football to let that motivate them to change these kinds of habits we are talking about," Jones said. "You really got to love football and want to be in the NFL.

"That is one of the main things that we tried to find out if you are visiting and trying to figure out the way to go here is just how much they love football."

Jones called Gregory smart as a whip. He believes he loves football. He believes Gregory knows he might not have more than one chance at a successful NFL career.

"I know I made a mistake," Gregory said. "I know there is only so much I can say. Talk is cheap sometimes. I really want to show these guys what I can do and I am really serious about what I say. I gave that staff my word plenty of times and I really feel like they believe me."

If Jones didn't believe him, the owner would not be ready to invest his personal time.

:lol

sucker

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Surprised even with the issues he lasted that long, if he stays straight it was a coup for our defense. Dude was impressive.

I said he reminded me a little of Haley when came into league (tall, lanky, not real muscular but strong) but I saw some of these scouting people compare him to Jason Taylor, who was all tall and pretty lanky/lean.

It's a risk but at 60 it doesn't hurt quite as bad if something does go wrong, as compared to maybe having taken him at 27

Seems kinda shitty right now

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
At the time I was excited about the pick, thought we got a top 10 talent at #60.

Now I'm rolling my eyes and understand why the other 31 teams passed on him...

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Since this thread got bumped...

This reminds me of the pretty epic argument Norm and Sturm had on the Ticket when we took Gregory. Norm said he didn't like it, that he'd heard rumors that Gregory had a lot bigger problems than just smoking some weed. Bob and the other guy on there (Newberry?) ganged up on Norm and acted like he was a complete fool, that it was just a little weed and this was an incredible value pick.

Looks like the old man won that one.

Top Bottom