Reaction score
Hardy is a puppy-beating scandal away from being the worst human being on earth.

Reaction score
He argued about how the tweet was fine for awhile until the front office made him delete it. This guy does not need a Twitter account.

Reaction score
Representatives for Gregory made it clear that whichever team drafted him needed to have a support system in place that would be expected to include a security person and a personal handler who would follow Gregory at all times

LOL

This is gonna be like Pacman donkey punching his bodyguard in the bathroom all over again.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Honestly, that's something I would have tweeted, if I tweeted.

Mine would have been better, though.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
This defense has the parts to be pretty good.

It's really a shame that Morris Claiborn is pile of shit. I mean, he couldn't even be decent?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
wasn't there some talk about the Cowboys wanting to utilize the SAM position like the Seahawks do?
4-3_Under.jpg

There was also an article that the Cowboys might mirror Gus Bradley's (a Pete Carroll disciple) use of the "OTTO" position.

Cowboys 2015 Offseason: Dallas To Experiment With New Hybrid Linebacker Position - The OTTO - Blogging The Boys

... In essence, the Jags coaches (who, we must remember, came from Seattle) saw the OTTO as a hybrid position that combines the attributes of a traditional 4-3 SAM linebacker, a 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 DE....

..."is kind of going to be on the edge, we'd like [him] to have some pass rush ability, in a pinch he could go down in a third-down situation to blitz him off the edge...He can be strong or weak [the MLB's positioning isn't affected] and most of the time he's going to be on the line of scrimmage, standing up."...

...The Seahawks deploy the super-athletic Bruce Irvin as their version of a SAM linebacker, but deploy him in ways similar to the way Jaguars coaches imagined they would do with the OTTO...

Cliff Avril - 6'3" & 260 lbs.
Bruce Irvin - 6'3" & 248 lbs.

Randy Gregory - 6'5" & 235 lbs.

and then if Byron Jones ends up being a Free Safety who can cover a ton of ground, it really opens up things. I still think Jones ends up at CB though. Jerry's comment " We couldn't sleep if we didn't address the cornerback position" convinced me of that today.

Reaction score
Randy Gregory had to convince Jerry Jones before Cowboys picked

IRVING, Texas -- Before the Dallas Cowboys picked Randy Gregory in the second round of the NFL draft Friday night, owner and general manager Jerry Jones spoke with the sliding Nebraska defensive end.

Looked at as one of the best pass-rushers available in the draft, Gregory was not picked in Thursday's first round because of a failed drug test at the NFL scouting combine and other off-field issues. As his name continued to slide down the draft board, the Cowboys' interest began to rise.

They toyed with the idea of moving up to get Gregory but remained at No. 60, content to get him or another player there if a team selected him before the Cowboys picked.

But before the Cowboys could feel completely comfortable, Jones wanted to speak with Gregory. On Friday, Gregory chatted via text with Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli and assistant director of player personnel Will McClay.

The week before the draft, the Cowboys had Gregory at Valley Ranch for a visit. Jones spent 35 minutes in his office going over all of the player's off-field issues.

In the visit, Gregory asked the Cowboys, like he did other teams, for a support system to help him through his issues. He denied that he had mental health issues, but he acknowledged marijuana has been a problem.

"There is no question in my mind he is very aware and wants to do better and wants help," Jones said.

The league has programs in place to help players. The Cowboys' player development program has long been considered one of the best in the NFL.

On a number of occasions Jones has taken personal interest in several players. Teams shied away from Dez Bryant in 2010 but the Cowboys moved up to take him in the first round. In 2008, they added Adam Jones and Tank Johnson, who ran afoul of the law and the NFL. In the past, the Cowboys have taken risks of varying levels in Charles Haley, Alonzo Spellman and Dimitrius Underwood. There are more players helped by Jones that we don't know.

Jones said he once called more than 150 creditors of a former player to ask if they would take 30 cents on the dollar to be square.

"It's for all the right reasons," Jones said. "It's to help a player of ours. We're together. We're on a team, we work together and you want to help anybody that you can. But from the standpoint of helping our players get better, get more responsible, get their bills in order, certainly we know all of that makes a healthier situation."

Before Jones can be involved personally, the player has to consent. The league prevents teams from getting involved in players' off-field affairs otherwise.

"The world is our oyster if we can really get in and work if the player wants to do it and get in close with knowledge and information with me," Jones said. "My hands are tied if the player just says, ‘I'd rather not have Mr. Jones in my stuff, I don't think that's smart.'"

Bryant has been one of Jones' success stories. In 2012, the team put rules in place that helped keep Bryant on the right path. Jones has been allowed to co-sign on Bryant's checks to make sure the receiver did not get in financial trouble.

But the rules in place for Bryant do not transfer to Gregory.

"This isn't a cookie-cutter thing in any way with any individual," Jones said.

There could be selfish reasons to want to help because of Gregory's ability to rush the passer, but Jones doesn't have to help. He likes to tell his players at training camp that he can be anywhere else in the world but chooses to be there because of the love he has for the job.

Before Jones turned in the card with Gregory's name on it, he needed to be convinced.

"It takes some individuals that really love football to let that motivate them to change these kinds of habits we are talking about," Jones said. "You really got to love football and want to be in the NFL.

"That is one of the main things that we tried to find out if you are visiting and trying to figure out the way to go here is just how much they love football."

Jones called Gregory smart as a whip. He believes he loves football. He believes Gregory knows he might not have more than one chance at a successful NFL career.

"I know I made a mistake," Gregory said. "I know there is only so much I can say. Talk is cheap sometimes. I really want to show these guys what I can do and I am really serious about what I say. I gave that staff my word plenty of times and I really feel like they believe me."

If Jones didn't believe him, the owner would not be ready to invest his personal time.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Randy Gregory had to convince Jerry Jones before Cowboys picked

Jerry: Do you promise to stay off the weed?

Gregory: No.

Jerry: Good enough for me. Welcome to the Cowboys.

Reaction score
[video=youtube;S8AdCCOD4iw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=909&v=S8AdCCOD4iw[/video]

Top Bottom