jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I am glad to see the usual homer visit that we get each offseason. They are amusing and really believe that garbage they spout .

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yep, Statman confirmed he's 100% troll with that last post.

So the first few years of your coaching career is how you judge a coach? Talent you have on hand, especially at QB, doesn't matter?

Cool. Now I know the guy in your av is a worse coach than not only Jason Garrett, but also guys like Chan Gailey, Jim Caldwell, and Rex Ryan, just to name a few quick examples.

Nah. Pure troll. And not even a very good one.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is no way of knowing who they would have picked instead of the linemen. I have seen rumors , but the line is rebuilt and that did happen under Garrett's HC tenure. I don't believe any of the rumors or gossip at draft time. The actual player selected is the only thing we know for sure.

It's no secret that we were looking at guys like Shazier and Donald and the D but the they were off the board when we picked. But the question is did Garrett have a "plan" to rebuild the line. Everyone keeps talking about Garrett's plan and his actions speak louder than words. They picked Smith in 2011 but then completely got away from the OL the next year. Everyone here knew we needed OL help and were clamoring for DeCastro. Not only did we not take DeCastro in 2012, we didn't draft ANY offensive linemen in 2012. Where's the plan?

In 2013 we drafted Fred and no other O linemen even though (once again) everyone knew we needed help along the OL. In 2009 we wanted Max Unger, or so the story goes. When he was off the board we traded down. We knew we needed help on the line and we addressed it by picking exactly one offensive lineman in 12 picks that draft.

We were so depleted on the line that we had to call a guy out of retirement and off his couch to play and he played better than the scrubs we were putting out there. I don't think there's any question that we didn't pay attention to the OL until we were in desperation mode.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A storied franchise that never was a "air it out" type of offensive team. Cowboys team passing records yesterday and today, are mostly a product of the era they happened in. 300 yard games used to be rare in this league, now for the last 10 years it's pretty much the standard.

Of course, but those aren't numbers in a vacuum. If you look at his completion percentage and QBR, etc., he's off the charts. He most certainly benefits by playing in today's NFL, but he's a QB that a solid HC can win with.

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
What does Garrett have to do next year for you guys to say he is good coach?

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
It's no secret that we were looking at guys like Shazier and Donald and the D but the they were off the board when we picked. But the question is did Garrett have a "plan" to rebuild the line. Everyone keeps talking about Garrett's plan and his actions speak louder than words. They picked Smith in 2011 but then completely got away from the OL the next year. Everyone here knew we needed OL help and were clamoring for DeCastro. Not only did we not take DeCastro in 2012, we didn't draft ANY offensive linemen in 2012. Where's the plan? Garrett had made comments conceding upgrading the line for years. He tried with players like Nagy and Costa, but we all know that didn't work. He wanted a better line and it just worked out where lineman was value picks in the first. I am sure he had rather been unlucky and built the line with late round picks, but it didn't work out that way. If they had followed their draft board, Johnny Football would have been a Cowboy instead of Martin. Garrett took his time, but he did get the line rebuilt. Callahan tried to go cheap with Livings and Berny , but that was a failure. Leary fell in their lap due to injury concerns, so if you look at it, Martin was the only player that was a slight surprise , even though his name was mentioned many times as a possible pick .

In 2013 we drafted Fred and no other O linemen even though (once again) everyone knew we needed help along the OL. In 2009 we wanted Max Unger, or so the story goes. When he was off the board we traded down. We knew we needed help on the line and we addressed it by picking exactly one offensive lineman in 12 picks that draft.

We were so depleted on the line that we had to call a guy out of retirement and off his couch to play and he played better than the scrubs we were putting out there. I don't think there's any question that we didn't pay attention to the OL until we were in desperation mode.

Reaction score

Coaching is an active role full of strategy, leadership, intelligent construction of scheme and plays that are intended to succeed during the game and if not, then changing the strategy is vital for a coach to be a coach and not just a hired press conference puppet. The head coach needs to have a greater plan, mastery and overall authority and responsibility (both in the moment of the game and the development of players in all phases of the game. Good head coaches do all of the above and then craft a little bit more than that to fool the not so good head coaches and win. They coach to win each play, series, game and season.

Jason is an oligarchy. He is not an active teacher except for his one passing scheme theory. His assistants know football better than he does and his ignorance cost games and seasons. There is no reason to award him anything having to do with being an active strategic navigator who can outcoach other good coaches until he does actually have that as an accomplishment.

Reaction score
What OmegaSupreme said.

I've seen too much of Garretts gaffs, clock mismanagement, and game costing decisions to suddenly declare him a "good coach" after his own boss publicaly neutered him and called him an OJT coach.

When I notice him providing us an advantage on game day, I'll start to reconsider my stance.

Reaction score
I think Garrett has shown some signs of being a good coach. I saw improvement last season. Hope he continues to grow as a head coach.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Well, just call me Mr. Popular.

Nothing on the coaching staff happens without Jason Garrett's approval. LOL, does anyone really believe that Jerry Jones knows something about NFL personnel? Please!

It's a complete insult to the profession for anyone to assume that Jerry jones made relevant decisions that helped this team. Never!

Jerry Jones tore down two great teams, the one that Jimmy Built and the one that Parcells built. Given half a chance, he will begin to forget the devastation he caused in 2010 and start thinking he knows something again. In fact it's already begun. Jason Garrett is stoic, I'll give him that.

Meanwhile, he continues to revise history. Those naïve enough, those simple-minded enough, those that be easily coerced will actually begin to believe his BS. I guess it just goes to show that it's true. If you repeat something often enough, there are those that will begin to believe it.

Well, that should raise my esteem in the eyes of posters here........

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Nothing on the coaching staff happens without Jason Garrett's approval. , does anyone really believe that Jerry Jones knows something about NFL personnel? Please!
That's absolutely not true. Garrett would never have given up the OC position if Jerry hadn't taken it from him -- every reporter in Dallas stated this as fact when it happened. That's how bad it was: Even a football idiot like Jerry could see that the team was better off with Garrett not calling plays.

Also, Kiffin was hired because of Lacewell's decades old connections to him. Lacewell was scouting Kiffin when Garrett was puking up another loss against the Ravens early in 2012. And later, Rex Ryan pointedly told reporters that his brother was fired by Jerry, not Garrett.

So no, Garrett is very demonstrably not in control of his coaching staff, and hasn't been. He just gets up and claims after the fact that everything that happens was part of some grand plan, and gullible fools buy it.

You really need to pay closer attention. But then, despite what Dooms says, I'm convinced you're trolling, so I really don't know why I'm even responding to you.

Last edited:

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
That's absolutely not true. Garrett would never have given up the OC position if Jerry hadn't taken it from him -- every reporter in Dallas stated this as fact when it happened. That's how bad it was: Even a football idiot like Jerry could see that the team was better off with Garrett not calling plays.

Also, Kiffin was hired because of Lacewell's decades old connections to him. Lacewell was scouting Kiffin when Garrett was puking up another loss against the Ravens early in 2012. And later, Rex Ryan pointedly told reporters that his brother was fired by Jerry, not Garrett.

So no, Garrett is very demonstrably not in control of his coaching staff, and hasn't been. He just gets up and claims after the fact that everything that happens was part of some grand plan, and gullible fools buy it.

You really need to pay closer attention. But then, despite what Dooms says, I'm convinced you're trolling, so I really don't know why I'm even responding to you.

His post was dripping with sarcasm

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score

NFCC or better. Couple of playoff wins puts him out of the Marvin Lewis tier, which I have him in now.

To me a "good coach" has a little consistency. He finally made the playoffs in what I have zero question was a magical year where pretty much everything broke our way.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Well, just call me Mr. Popular.

Sorry,you have to win that name in the annual DCU Mr.Popular Festival™.(formerly hosted by Donald Trump)
I don't hate Garrett,he's not at Richie Kotite levels of fuckery.
So far,last year's 12-4 looks like an anomaly from here.Sure 8-8 is technically not "losing",but it ain't winning either.

Reaction score
Exactly, Booze. Garrett would have to show consistency.

Garrett's performance was mediocre for several seasons. He's had one strong year. He needs to put several strong seasons together before I'll be confident that he's truly good.

Because it is impossible to put together several strong seasons in just one season, there isn't anything that Garrett can do this season to establish himself as a top coach. Even if he wins a Super Bowl, it could be argued that he's just another Brian Billick or Barry Switzer or John Gruden (not a great NFL coach, but an NFL coach whose team had a strong season).

I do think that Garrett is improving and holds some promise for becoming a solid head coach, but the jury is still out on him (as it should be, given his rocky start).

Top Bottom