Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Organizations are judged based on success.

We haven't had any.

Again, I don't buy into the "worst GM ever!" mantra... but Jerry does leave a lot to be desired.

see thats not true. We havent won a superbowl and it is frustrating as hell losing in the playoffs.

but since romo has been here we have been as good as anyone in the regular season and won the toughest division in the league twice in the last 4 years. We just dont have the post season success yet. But saying we have had no success is completely off to me.

As I am typing this I am watching the horrendous mike and mike in the morning and they are talking about romo and saying he is pretty good....ridiculous...the generalizations from this network are nuts...this is why I never watch it....golic saying he has alot to prove in the playoffs is true....but citing the fumble against seattle is typical espn in a nutshell.

they love carson palmer and matt ryan....yet neither has had any playoff success....drives me crazy.

Reaction score
That is true, but it still didn't mean Jerry needed to go back to hiring the assistants and then narrowing the choice down to Wade or Norv and then sticking with him for 4 years.

I agree that Jerry stuck with Wade too long. He should've been canned after that Minnesota.

Bizarre definition of 'any'.

We've had some recent success, in the way of division titles and a (singular) playoff win. Saying we haven't had "any" success is exaggerating... but not by much.

In todays parity driven league, how many teams haven't at least matched our "success" over that same timeframe?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jerry is THE AL DAVIS #2 of the NFL. IF that Davis ever kicks the bucket. The crown is all Jerry's.

Come on Dbair, homerism or not. You have to see through that cloud and realize Jerry being a GM/Owner is killing this team.

Al Davis has been bad for his team, bad for the fans and bad for the league. Almost everything he's done has been a joke for 25-30 years.

Jones is not at that level of ineptitude.

Reaction score
I dont think JJ is as bad as Davis, but his team has been to the Super Bowl In the last decade.:awkward

Stupid iPhone auto edit

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That is true, but it still didn't mean Jerry needed to go back to hiring the assistants and then narrowing the choice down to Wade or Norv and then sticking with him for 4 years.

Jerry hired one asst before Wade, and there were circumstances tied to that for why he did it (deadline for Garrett to accept the job)

I also think Jerry really wanted to hire Garrett for HC to begin with, but he worried about the inexperience and the fan reaction instead of doing what he probably wanted to do.

Norv's done a good job in San Diego. Wade did win two divison titles here along with a playoff game. He wasnt an utter failure. Parcells didnt dfo either in the same time frame here.

Reaction score
Norv's done a good job in San Diego. Wade did win two divison titles here along with a playoff game. He wasnt an utter failure. Parcells didnt dfo either in the same time frame here.

With the talent Norv has had in San Diego, and as weak as that division has been.... I'd argue that Norv really hasn't done that great of a job at all.

In fact, if I were Charger fan, I would've wanted him out of there a long time ago.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I agree that Jerry stuck with Wade too long. He should've been canned after that Minnesota.

Why, because we lost a playoff game on the road due to a decimated OL?

I dont agree. If they were going to can him, it should have been after the 2008 debacle to end the season against Baltimore and Philly. Canning a coach after winning a divison for the 2nd time in 3yrs and then also winning a playoff game for the first time in forever wouldn endear him to potential new coaches he might hire.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
With the talent Norv has had in San Diego, and as weak as that division has been.... I'd argue that Norv really hasn't done that great of a job at all.

In fact, if I were Charger fan, I would've wanted him out of there a long time ago.

He's done more than Marty Schottenheimer did. He's also had to deal with a ton of injuries.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He's done more than Marty Schottenheimer did. He's also had to deal with a ton of injuries.

I like norv and marty.

But to be fair the division was better when marty was the head coach. It has been pretty much awful since turner has been there. They know going into the season they could win 8 games and go to the playoffs. Mentally that is much different than what goes on in most divisions.

Reaction score
Jerry hired one asst before Wade, and there were circumstances tied to that for why he did it (deadline for Garrett to accept the job)

I also think Jerry really wanted to hire Garrett for HC to begin with, but he worried about the inexperience and the fan reaction instead of doing what he probably wanted to do.

So you're another one of those who neglects to recognize that Parcells took over a disastrous 5-11 team, whereas Norv and Wade were handed the keys to playoff caliber teams.

This would be like comparing Barry Switzer's first two years to that of Jimmy Johnson all the while failing to mention that Jimmy took the reins of a 3-13 aging team while Barry took over a back to back SB championship team.

And yes, Garrett was the only assistant hired before the HC, and that was still one too many. But he wasn't the only one that the HC didn't get to make the decision on. As if it isn't bad enough giving the job to Wade, it was compounded by saddling him with a host of assistants brought in by Jerry and/or Garrett. Same crap Jerry did when he was pulling the strings during the Switzer/Gailey/Campo years.

Fact is Jerry's a horrible GM who has an ego the size of Texas and half of Mexico who is still trying to win his way to show he can do it just like Jimmy did. But he's not a football savy personnel man and never has been and on top of it is far too interested in marketing the team and making money than in doing whatever it takes to try and win. But as long as he signs a T.O. or trades for a Roy Williams or Joey Galloway he wins points with many fans who think this indicates how much he's trying. Give them something new and shiny every once in a while and it keeps them happy.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
and yet so much hyperbole. Any truth that is in there is just drowned in a pool of overexaggerations and personal angst.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Do you think what I'm saying is hyperbole, superpunk?

I think it's personal with most people about Jerry. They just hate him and nothing short of a super bowl win is going to make that hate subside, so they say things like "we haven't had ANY success under Jerry" - you know that's not true we have a very talented team that has been a perennial contender since Bill got us turned around - but you dislike Jerry so much that you have to say things like that.

I don't have any problem with that. I hate Wade, I've hated him since we hired him, I hate his stupid face and I hate his stupid gut and I hated seeing him look helpless on the sideline.

But it's when people try to cage that hate into some sort of hyperbolic argument to make it sound like the person is worse than they really are, while still trying to appear objective. dbair and others do it with Parcells - they want to strip him of any credit for anything he did right while he was here and give it to someone else. People like you and 2222333333 and VA do it with Jerry.

It's ok if you hate him, just be real with it and stop with the exaggerating.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Wow. Some of you have really low standards for "success."

Or maybe we just understand there are varying levels of success, and that you cannot objectively say that we haven't had "any" - that is completely subjective and ridiculous.

Top Bottom