ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Negative TE. I just think Romo's skill set has digressed over the last few years to the point where he relies more on touch, anticipation and improvisation. His deep arm is lacking to be a real threat and minimizes the effectiveness of play action. We started to see more PA passes go to shorter routes, as opposed to down the field.

I like Romo and think he can be OK but it's a situation where 50% of Romo is better than most QB's at 100%. But I think his elite days are over.

Well, I guess you could be right, but what is the evidence for that? Last times we've seen him he's been good, minus the Thanksgiving day game vs a truly great defense.

So much of Romo's strength is the way he sees the whole field and makes quick reads, and I don't think he'll lose that. And I believe his arm is still just fine. My worry about him aging is that he won't be able to make those quick spin moves and other things he does to dodge pressure and make big plays down the field. When he loses that little bit of quickness to avoid people and improvise, that might hurt a lot. But our O line is so good, it's not like he's dodging people all the time anyway.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
My worry about him aging is that he won't be able to make those quick spin moves and other things he does to dodge pressure and make big plays down the field. When he loses that little bit of quickness to avoid people and improvise, that might hurt a lot.
The back surgery gave that to you already. He is NOT the Romo he was before that, even he tells us this.

Reaction score
only dumb one around here is you.

this virtually same team went 12-4 two years ago. with a D that was clearly worse then our current one. We have an O that frankly should be top 5 in the NFL and actually has a shot at the top spot with the addition of Zeke and the maturation of our O line.

:lol

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score

this virtually same team went 12-4 two years ago. with a D that was clearly worse then our current one. We have an O that frankly should be top 5 in the NFL and actually has a shot at the top spot with the addition of Zeke and the maturation of our O line.

Clearly worse D? Clearly worse??? And this D is better? How do you figure that? Let's see... Thornton makes it better?, because our DE's are amazingly bad. Our LB crew is virtually the same, so Thornton and Byron Jones make us that much better?

Please

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Which back surgery?

Or was it just multiple collarbone surgeries he's had?

I had to think about that myself before I posted...

He had the mysterious "cyst" before he signed the extension, but the one that sidelined him came at the end of 2013 when Orton had to start that last game vs the Skins, and I don't think there's been one since then.

He has had multiple collarbones, though.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I guess you could be right, but what is the evidence for that? Last times we've seen him he's been good, minus the Thanksgiving day game vs a truly great defense.

So much of Romo's strength is the way he sees the whole field and makes quick reads, and I don't think he'll lose that. And I believe his arm is still just fine. My worry about him aging is that he won't be able to make those quick spin moves and other things he does to dodge pressure and make big plays down the field. When he loses that little bit of quickness to avoid people and improvise, that might hurt a lot. But our O line is so good, it's not like he's dodging people all the time anyway.

I didn't think we looked that good when Romo was in there, quite honestly. We needed a miracle finish where the Giants completely fucked up the clock or we'd have started the season 0 and 1. I agree with you on Romo's strengths and I have no "evidence" other than what I see. To expect a QB his age with his health issues and diminished arm to take you anywhere at this point in his career is asking a lot.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The JJ Watt play in 2014 was after the back surgery, no?
That wasn't as much a "Romo Special" as it was Watt taking a really bad shot at him, looked then and now to me like Watt was trying to be gentle with Tony.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Jeeeeeezus fucking Christ! Seriously?

Let me guess...
We are winning the Super Bowl again this year right?

Lmao

Last edited:

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Jeeeeeezus fucking Christ! Seriously?

Let me guess...
We are winning the Super Bowl again this year right?

Lmao

are you really this dumb naturally or do you have to work at it?

No I do not think we are a SB contender at this time. I believe we SHOULD win the NFCE if we stay healthy. There is a gap between winning a mediocre division and winning it all. I do think we can win 11-12 games and a playoff game just like we did two years ago.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
are you really this dumb naturally or do you have to work at it?

No I do not think we are a SB contender at this time. I believe we SHOULD win the NFCE if we stay healthy. There is a gap between winning a mediocre division and winning it all. I do think we can win 11-12 games and a playoff game just like we did two years ago.

You think this team will win 11-12 games and you ask if I'm dumb? LOL

What in our recent history makes you believe we will win 11-12 games? Because of 2014? Now is the 2014 season the norm? Or is every other 8-8 season the norm?

Then we have Tony "made of glass" Romo

Let's just look at Romo's injury history.
2008 sprained finger - misses 2 games
2010 sprained shoulder - out for season/misses remaining 10 games
2011 bruised hand - leaves the game
2013 herniated disk - need surgery to repair ( is never the same again )
2014 fractured back in 2 places - misses 2 games
2015 breaks collar bone not ONCE but TWICE - misses 12 games

So history shows that we can count on a Romo missing more than one game a season (or more)

So we have Moore as the back up and the Rookie Dak to save the day right?

We went 1-11 last season with out Romo. But I'm sure everything will change and we will win the games he misses this season. Why you ask? When nothing has changed at the back up position. I'm sure we will be fine with our back ups this season. Because history has shown us as much.

I do like your blind optimism. I used to have that too. But time and history with this team has taught me different! No Super Bowls in 20 years has taught me different. Not winning games when Romo is out has taught me different. Going 4-12 last season has taught me different.

Staying with the status quo all during free agency has guaranteed us that we will be just as bad as last season once Romo gets hurt again this season. And how do we know that? Because history has taught us so!

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Exactly

And that's "if" the stars align and Romo and Dez stay healthy all season

If Romo and Dez are healthy all yr as well as a few other very key guys, we'll be better than 8-8

The offense could easily rack up 30+ pts a game with relative ease and control the clock for 34-36 mins a game rountinely.

Last edited:
Reaction score
People who point to this team and 12-4 forget just how retardedly lucky we were that season.

I mean, we literally played 5 rookie/backup/third string QB's that year. We played two of the easiest divisions in the league that year. We remained insanely injury free that year - Morris Claiborne was our only starter lost to injury. And we had a number of crazy flukey plays go our way - Terrance Williams third and twenty toe tapping sideline catch against Seattle. Dez's ridiculous covered catch in OT against Houston. Rams receiver Jackie Williams wide open in the end zone and just dropping a put away TD catch.

Now, I'll concede that any time a team wins 12 games, they're going to catch some breaks. But we caught a ton of breaks that year with fluke plays/health/schedule etc...

And everyone just thinks hey this is the same team. 12 wins no prob.

It's laughable.

Top Bottom