onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
That is rich.

No.

grow a pair and actually use your head for something other than a hat rack.

The D was middle of the pack last year with a lousy offense. Think on that for a moment if you have the capability.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
People who put us at 12-4 are dumb.

Anything over 10 wins is pretty dumb, actually.

only dumb one around here is you.

this virtually same team went 12-4 two years ago. with a D that was clearly worse then our current one. We have an O that frankly should be top 5 in the NFL and actually has a shot at the top spot with the addition of Zeke and the maturation of our O line.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score

The D was middle of the pack last year with a lousy offense. Think on that for a moment if you have the capability.
We have shit for depth. When is the last time a Dallas Cowboy came off the bench and wow'd anyone. Our player personnel after the starters, sucks. And the defensive starters are only slightly above mediocre themselves.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Sure, the one who thinks this defense could be top 12 in the league is clearly the one using their head.

Try some objectivity. If that's too much to handle, just go sit quietly in the corner and eat some crayons.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
this virtually same team went 12-4 two years ago. with a D that was clearly worse then our current one.

Please explain. Try not to use sentences that include "Jerry said" or "Star on the side of their helmet".

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The D was middle of the pack last year with a lousy offense. Think on that
Yes, think on that. That's much more of a function of teams NOT NEEDING to score much on us, to get the win. Assuming of course that you're referring to our #17 standing for points allowed.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
They were the 8th worst pass defense while teams threw the 2nd least amount of passes against them. In a passing league, teams didn't need to pass to beat the Cowboys. Only one defense had less interceptions and just seven teams had less sacks. This defense doesn't make plays or create turnovers. Their biggest aspiration is too hope like hell the offense controls the clock and that they won't be exposed too badly. The problem with that is your defense is going to get tested in the playoffs, no matter how good your offense is. This defense won't stop playoff-caliber QB's late in the game. Too many holes, too many weak links.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
10-6 to 11-5 as long as Romo is ok. Our offensive talent is insane. They should score a ton, making opposing offenses one-dimensional thus making our mediocre defense look a lot better than they are.

Reaction score
10-6 to 11-5 as long as Romo is ok. Our offensive talent is insane. They should score a ton, making opposing offenses one-dimensional thus making our mediocre defense look a lot better than they are.

If this team has a successful season, that's how it will happen. Take the opposing offense out of its game plan by building a lead and controlling the clock.

This strategy has its flaws, but it's the one best suited to the current team's strengths and weaknesses.

Reaction score
They were the 8th worst pass defense while teams threw the 2nd least amount of passes against them. In a passing league, teams didn't need to pass to beat the Cowboys. Only one defense had less interceptions and just seven teams had less sacks. This defense doesn't make plays or create turnovers. Their biggest aspiration is too hope like hell the offense controls the clock and that they won't be exposed too badly. The problem with that is your defense is going to get tested in the playoffs, no matter how good your offense is. This defense won't stop playoff-caliber QB's late in the game. Too many holes, too many weak links.

Ah. So...teams basically said we could beat you easily with our pass offense so we won't. Isn't game planning and scheming finding the weak part of a team and then getting as many points as you can as a result?

Reaction score
10-6 to 11-5 as long as Romo is ok. Our offensive talent is insane for a WCO or for scheme that featuries a #2WR who can't catch above his chin and disappears for half the season.They should score a ton, making opposing offenses one-dimensional thus making our mediocre defense look a lot better than they are.
Fify

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I seem to remember Jerruh making some comment like, "why couldn't we coach them up" last year. But at the same time, the injuries were the excuse and pretty much still are.

No Romo means Ginger gets another Mulligan?

Umm yeah....
Pretty much

Because Moore will fail and be replaced by Dak who will also fail. And Jerruh will say "well he's a rookie"

And poof.... Jason gets another year!

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
"If" the triplets can stay healthy we go 9-7. If not then we shit the bed again and go 3-13. But at least we would get to see what Dak Prescot looks like and either devote the time to develop him in the future or move on from him

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's worse possible scenario for me. We suck but not enough to draft an impact player. We'd be in the 10-15 range and then desperate Jerry might pull off another Claiborne trade.

Exactly. I think we're a 6 or 7 win team. Romo is playing on borrowed time and they're going to trot him out there even when he's lost "it." It happens to all the great ones and I remember Aikman's final years very vividly. Romo will be no different.

What will piss me off is that this won't sneak up on anyone. It'll be very evident in training camp and this team and it's scrub coaching staff will still trot him out there instead of working to find an alternative which they should have doing already (and no, I don't mean Prescot).

We'll be drafting in the 10 to 15 range which is the worst case scenario.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ah. So...teams basically said we could beat you easily with our pass offense so we won't. Isn't game planning and scheming finding the weak part of a team and then getting as many points as you can as a result?

Not necessarily. In the NFL, game planning is doing what you have to in order to win. There are plenty of college teams (Oregon, Baylor, etc.) who want to run 100 plays and score a certain amount.

At least twice I recall the game commentators say that the book on the Cowboys was to shorten the game, keep it close, and then score late. That's a defense that the league knows won't stop you when it counts. They also didn't fear Matt Cassell or smurf Kellen Moore leading a crucial drive late in the game, whereas Romo can and will. So when Romo is healthy, teams will try to score as much as possible, banking on a Romo mistake or the more likely reality that their defense can make more stops than the Cowboys defense will.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Yes, think on that. That's much more of a function of teams NOT NEEDING to score much on us, to get the win. Assuming of course that you're referring to our #17 standing for points allowed.

yeah sure. Teams sat around and said "we will not try and score much"

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You guys who are saying we'll win 6-8 games, that's assuming Romo gets hurt at some point, right?

That's a fair assumption, but assume for a second he stays healthy. How many then?

I mean there aren't many left who think Romo can't play, right? Or are you assuming he'll fall off that age cliff and won't be able to play even when healthy? I think that will happen -- of course it will at some point -- but I don't think he's to that age yet.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You guys who are saying we'll win 6-8 games, that's assuming Romo gets hurt at some point, right?
Not at all, but we've gone 8-8 before with a completely healthy Romo. We're a mediocre, 8-8 to 9-7 team.
yeah sure. Teams sat around and said "we will not try and score much"
Actually no, instead they said "We know Dallas can't do shit offensively so we're gonna stay very conservative against them, run low risk plays and protect the ball, then get what we need when we need it, from their shit defense." Read the facts, stupid. I'll re-post them below:

The above happens when teams KNOW you're no threat to put 30 points up.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

That's a fair assumption, but assume for a second he stays healthy. How many then?

I mean there aren't many left who think Romo can't play, right? Or are you assuming he'll fall off that age cliff and won't be able to play even when healthy? I think that will happen -- of course it will at some point -- but I don't think he's to that age yet.

Negative TE. I just think Romo's skill set has digressed over the last few years to the point where he relies more on touch, anticipation and improvisation. His deep arm is lacking to be a real threat and minimizes the effectiveness of play action. We started to see more PA passes go to shorter routes, as opposed to down the field.

I like Romo and think he can be OK but it's a situation where 50% of Romo is better than most QB's at 100%. But I think his elite days are over.

Top Bottom