ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I feel real good about this season. Why? Because we will either make the playoffs and WIN a game in the playoffs... or... Garrett is gone. It's win-win all the way. You can't help but feel good about that.

Oh, but you're ignoring the 9-7, squeak into the playoffs scenario where everyone including Jerry will point to the great progress we're showing.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh, but you're ignoring the 9-7, squeak into the playoffs scenario where everyone including Jerry will point to the great progress we're showing.

Unless the 9-7 is accompanied with a couple of playoff wins, I doubt even Jerry will see that as progress.

I think anything less than a season that ends with 1 or 2 playoff wins will result in Garrett being toast.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You might be right... I hope you are.

Maybe the tricky scenario is, say, 9-7 or 10-6 and first round playoff loss. But I bet even one playoff win and he sticks around. Maybe even one NFC East title, even with a lousy division. Jerry desperately wants this to work. I think the tiniest amount of hope and he'll talk himself into the "progress" angle.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Unless the 9-7 is accompanied with a couple of playoff wins, I doubt even Jerry will see that as progress.

I think anything less than a season that ends with 1 or 2 playoff wins will result in Garrett being toast.

And what happens then? Even if red ball is gone, the JJ and SJ combo of management will still be incompetent. Unless we luck out and manage to get our hands on a hall of fame QB, we are destined for mediocrity for the next couple of decades.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
See, that's where the Jerry hate goes too far. Maybe people have forgotten what good coaching looks like, but get a Holmgren or other experienced winner in here and we can go far with these players. Maybe not Superbowl-win far, but far.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
See, that's where the Jerry hate goes too far. Maybe people have forgotten what good coaching looks like, but get a Holmgren or other experienced winner in here and we can go far with these players. Maybe not Superbowl-win far, but far.

That's true and all, but what also is true is Jerry will never again hire a coach that will upstage him, nor will any coach worth his shit workfor Jerry. He flirted with it with Parcells but Bill was at the end of his career, and his ambitions were low.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Maybe... But if this experiment fails, Jerry might give in. A guy like Holmgren who is buddies with him might make it work for both of them.

The wild card is that huge contract Jerry gave Romo. Jerry loves his status right now, but he loves his money, too. If he thinks all that money is going to waste and someone else can get more out of it, he might share a little power.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Holmgren would suck here. He'd be a shell of himself and way too loyal to Jerry for giving him one last chance.

No thanks.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
How is being "too loyal to Jerry" going to stop him from implementing his offense, properly utilizing the talent he has, and calling good games on Sundays?

I don't think he's too old, but if someone holds that against him, Gruden would work.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Holmgren would suck here. He'd be a shell of himself and way too loyal to Jerry for giving him one last chance.

No thanks.

Don't worry. He's coming.

David-Shaw.jpg

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Don't worry. He's coming.

David-Shaw.jpg

Not a chance. Jerry doesn't know him. Nobody Jerry normally gets on his Bat Phone knows him.

We are more likely to get a Les Miles, Bob Stoops or some such shit as we are getting David Shaw.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Jones doesn't really know what a good coach looks like either it appears.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Not a chance. Jerry doesn't know him. Nobody Jerry normally gets on his Bat Phone knows him.

We are more likely to get a Les Miles, Bob Stoops or some such shit as we are getting David Shaw.

We're getting Shaw. STFU

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jones doesn't really know what a good coach looks like either it appears.

That Jimmy Johnson fellow was pretty good.

I know, I know. 1 out of 7. After we hire Shaw though he'll increase the hit rate to 25%

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
That Jimmy Johnson fellow was pretty good.

I know, I know. 1 out of 7. After we hire Shaw though he'll increase the hit rate to 25%

Jimmy Johnson was a no-brainer who even Tex Schramm had his eyes on before Jones ever bought the Cowboys. It wasn't like Jones had some eye for coaching talent that nobody thought of.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson was a no-brainer who even Tex Schramm had his eyes on before Jones ever bought the Cowboys. It wasn't like Jones had some eye for coaching talent that nobody thought of.

Stay down, dsnatch!

Top Bottom